Has anyone just traveled with a carrryon?

I think the only way I could possibly do carry on only is if it were a one or two night cruise!

:eek:

I love cruising where I can just drive to the port - so much easier to pack and since you only have to juggle bags from the car to the porter its so much easier to bring lots of stuff!

I only use a carry-on when its a 3 night cruise. But even on a 3 night, DH has to have a small suitcase in addition to a carry-on because his insulin pump supplies, shoes, and suit coat take up so much room. We ALWAYS do formal night so I guess we could get by if we went strictly casual.

My husband and I routinely go to Europe for 15-17 days with just a rolling carry on and a backpack. We have done this for a Baltics cruise (12 nites) and a Greece/Turkey/Egypt (12 nites) cruise. He does not wear a suit on formal nights, just nice slacks and a dress shirt. I take dressy pants and several nice tops. IT CAN BE DONE!!! No worries about whether your luggage will make it. And I have yet to wear everything that I packed. I use space bags, the kind with a "zipper", not the vacuum kind. That really helps. Last trip I had 4 or 5 pairs of shoes. The only issue is trying to get all the liquids into that one little bag. But you can always buy whatever did not fit when you get to the destination. I promise you that if you ever try this, you will not check luggage again. One other thought - if a man wants to wear a suit on the cruise, why not pack the pants and carry the jacket onto the plane. It can be neatly folded and stored in the overhead bin.

My husband and I have started doing this when it is just the 2 of us traveling on a 4 night cruise. It is really difficult for me to scale back on what I bring:) However, it is really nice to have our bags immediatley available when we get on the ship. It is also nice not having to wait in the baggage claim area!! I still end up taking a large tote stuffed with things along with our 2 carry ons!!

Done our last two AOS out of San Juan with carryon only! Going again 8/30, just carryon 21" and a backpack each. So much easier! Wear a sport coat down and wife brings cocktail dress for formal nights. The days of tux are over, now cruises are just relaxation, mosty short, swimsuits and tees!

My last southern Caribbean cruise on the AOS was the first time I've done a seven night cruise with just a carry on bag. I've done three and four nighters that way before. I usually eat dinner in the WJ and a few times I've rented a Tux for formal nights. It's just a matter of planning what you're going to wear each day based on your planned activities - and keeping the number of shoes you bring to a minimum.

On my last two 7-nighters I had just a good-sized carryon (I was allowed to carry it on the plane but I WAS stopped...but then made it through) and a good-sized shoulder bag.

First of all, my formal dress is just a short, black sparkly dress and I wear it on BOTH formal nights (when it comes to packing and vacation, it's never even crossed my mind to bring two dresses...do men bring two tuxes or two suits?? :confused: ).

I've been on enough cruises to know that my at sea clothing is a bathing suit and cover up. Very few clothes needed.

I also rewear shorts, skirts and pants. I try to bring shoes that will go with various outfits.

I REALLY have to limit toiletries now, because of that incredibly annoying 3 oz rule so that doesn't take up much room.

It's a tight fit, but it's VERY doable! :)

I commend those who have used carry-on luggage for cruises over 7 nights! Cannot see doing so myself unless I have laundry done. I have used 99% of the clothing brought on the last 2 cruises! We pack less now than the first 2 cruises.

We often travel with just carry on. When I have checked luggage it was one bag with snorkel stuff and sun screen.

We have often 'volunteered' when the flight was oversold. I like to know I can do that and that all the important stuff is with me and will make it to the ship.

Going to Australia for 27 nights in November and we are planning on each taking one carry on 21" and a day pack. We will check one small suitcase for the two of us with some of the cruise stuff that we won't need before. I am trying to find somewhere in Sydney that I can store it while we travel around.

I always seem to have enough to wear and can't figure out what people put in those big oversize suitcases.:rolleyes:

Going to Australia for 27 nights in November and we are planning on each taking one carry on 21" and a day pack. We will check one small suitcase for the two of us with some of the cruise stuff that we won't need before. I am trying to find somewhere in Sydney that I can store it while we travel around.

I would imagine a hotel will hold your big bag, esp. if you offer to pay them. If not, I once stored a bag fairly inexpensively at Narita Airport for a week. I'm sure the Sydney Airport will do the same. I don't remember how far downtown is from the airport though.

Have a great trip!!

I think that this is the first year that I will have taken 2 cruises. Perhaps that is why it seems so possible.

I agree with many of you girls that I wear mostly all bathing suits and coverups each day as all my excursions are water oriented. And on the ship, this is practical as well. Coverups are so pretty that they look like dresses.

I could wear the sneakers I excercise in on on the plane.. I also have the black sparkly dress that folds flat. I used to bring two formal dresses, but not for the islands in August. Maybe for a Transatlantic crossing I would.

The biggest problem are the toiletries. I can't seem to figure my way around that.Esp sunscreen, but I guess I could buy this stuff in PR prior to the cruise.

I really admire all you who have figured out how to SIMPLIFY.

And yes, I see the carry on definition as one of the rolling bags and a good sized soft carryone that I can squish under the seat in front of me. I have a kindle, so no more worries hauling heavy books.

My partner carries his jacket and slacks in his rolling carryon- it has a special cocmpartment that folds over to hold these.

Keep the good ideas coming !

It seems that planning is the key.

Jacqueline, planning is DEFINITELY key. I would LOVE to throw a ton of stuff into a suitcase (along with ten pairs of shoes) and "have options."

Instead what I do is I lay things out on my bed by day. Then I have a pile of stuff for evening, a handful of day shirts, some bottoms, etc. Then I think, "Okay I can wear Monday night's shirt with those pants...I can rewear those pants on Thu with Tuesday night's shirt, and wear Monday night's shirt with this skirt.

These shoes are silver sandals, so they go with everything...just need one more evening pair of shoes for the formal dress...

I don't keep it that regimented when I'm onboard (as in, I said I'd wear this shirt Mon with this skirt and by God that's what I have to do) but at least I know I packed enough stuff!

:)

We each bring one carryon w/rollers and one shoulder bag for flights a cruises now, we may do laundry on ship, no big deal, we are on and off the plane w/o waiting an hour at the pickup and never worry about luggage on air or cruise.

I would imagine a hotel will hold your big bag, esp. if you offer to pay them. If not, I once stored a bag fairly inexpensively at Narita Airport for a week. I'm sure the Sydney Airport will do the same. I don't remember how far downtown is from the airport though.

Have a great trip!!

I am hoping the hotel will hold the bag for us as we are staying at the same one for our first 4 nights in Sydney and then for one night again before the cruise. I plan to e-mail the concierge closer to the date.

Thanks for your good wishes.

Also for Jacqueline, I have managed the sunscreen thing by getting a prescription from my doctor - although I still buy over the counter. I only use the ombrelle brand and can't always find it where I am going, many others give me a rash. This allows me to declare it as medical at security. No problems yet.

Hey there,

As airline employees we only go with carry on. No lost luggage...straight to and through customs...first in line at car rentals and taxi's...no waiting for bags on ships. With hundreds of trips under our belts, we look for short-cuts. You can buy sundries if you run short of space, and things like socks, underwear and extra shoes, camera's and tape fit in your tote. The roll-along takes avery thing else. The jacket (for dinner's) you can either wear or fold over your arm.

You can always buy a cheap case to bring back stuff like duty-free and souveniers (if you want to check in an extra bag for the trip home).

The only short cut that's better is travelling business class. Your first in line for everything.

We're going to do it for this cruise. I mostly do tank tops/shorts/sundresses for days with lots of little bikini's and a tankini for the sporty water activities. We'll wear our jeans/sneakers/sweatshirt/sweater on the plane (its cold in NJ in January!) and I'll be holding his suit jacket. From there its just dockers for him and his shorts and a couple more dresses for me for dinner (I don't wear a lot of pants in hot weather). My formal dresses each fold up very small and we plan on giving my gowns and his suit to laundry for pressing. The prices seemed reasonable when I did a search on here.

I live in flip flops and can fit a bunch of colors in. Then its one pair of silver heels and his dress shoes. We'll each have a carry on and then our personal item. His is a backpack, mine is a giant purse for the rest. I am getting in a day before and plan on buying the toiletries in Target or Walmart when I get there. We really hate waiting for luggage and I think this forces me to not overpack like I usually do! lol:D Wish me luck!

I have a kindle, so no more worries hauling heavy books.

I have a Kindle now too!!! I bought it just for my next cruise, but of course had to get it early to try it out. ;) Someone asked me how many books I was bringing, I loved the look on their face when I said 40! :D

Packing light

I haven't travelled with checked luggage in 5 years... It is very addicting once you get the hang of carry-on only. I even did a wedding in FL one year where I packed my suit in my backpack (if you fold it neatly in half, then TIGHTLY roll it up into a plastic bag -like you would roll up a sleeping bag-, it unrolls without even a smidge of a wrinkle!). I haven't done any cruises since I started traveling this way, but I have one coming up in January and that will be backpack only :). It is really liberating, and MUCH less of a hassle... It is amazing how much extra stress suitcases add to a trip. And really, you only need a very flew pieces of clothing for a tropical vacation. Actually, I use more suitcase room for books than anything, b/c I go through one every other day on vacation (though I usually donate them to the hotel or boat when I leave so I don't have to pack them home). Minimalism really can be fun.

Good luck! :)

Our family switched to one carry-on bag per person about three years ago. IT IS GREAT!

As for formal wear a little black dress for her and a blue blazer, red tie and khaki slacks for him.

If we find we need something while traveling we just buy it.

LMAO hell no I take my full allowance of 2 x 23kg cases for the sheer hell of it because I can......I lurve packing for a cruise, I just empty my wardrobe in :D

Hehe...I am taking a carry-on to Boston tomorrow...for one night:rolleyes:

I am taking my first 4-night cruise next month and I was definitely thinking of just taking a smaller sized roll-on suitcase. Can someone clarify for me - can we just roll our bags onto the ship, or do we have to check them in with the porters? I know they'll have to go through x-ray either way, but it would be nice to just carry them with us as we board and not worry about them getting lost.

Also, for disembarking...I've heard the early morning express/do it yourself lines can be chaotic. Can we just sign up for a later time (say 9:00) and roll our own bags off the ship at that time? Or do we have to put them out at midnight if we aren't going out with the early/express group?

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

Archived