Has anyone just traveled with a carrryon?

I am taking my first 4-night cruise next month and I was definitely thinking of just taking a smaller sized roll-on suitcase. Can someone clarify for me - can we just roll our bags onto the ship, or do we have to check them in with the porters? I know they'll have to go through x-ray either way, but it would be nice to just carry them with us as we board and not worry about them getting lost.

Also, for disembarking...I've heard the early morning express/do it yourself lines can be chaotic. Can we just sign up for a later time (say 9:00) and roll our own bags off the ship at that time? Or do we have to put them out at midnight if we aren't going out with the early/express group?

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

You can take your bag on board if it fits in the X-ray machine which is the same size as the airports. However, depending on what time you board if your room is not ready you will need to carry it with you until around 1pm when your room is ready. We did that the first time, then just took our bag and handed it to the porter before boarding since we board around 11:30 am and did not want to roll it around the ship.

My husband and I just got back from 20 nights in Italy and only brought a 21 inch bag and knapsack each. We did purchase some toiletries in Italy because of the 3-1-1 rule (which TSA announced a few months back would be rescinded this year, but I've seen no sign of it). I posted my packing list on the Cruise Fashions threads.

We had no formal nights on that cruise, but I'm going to try it again when we go to Australia, where we will have 3 formal nights. I'm thinking a black dress and 2-3 fancy scarves to change the look. We'll also pay for laundry services.

I don't do it to save on luggage fees (the laundry will cost $100-200) - we were in business class and could have brought 280 pounds of checked luggage between the two of us, but just didn't want to deal with it all. And some of my luggage has seen more of the world than I have (at least it had a night in Paris), so by keeping it with me, I eliminate that happening again.

But if you're travelling overseas or will have connections after landing in a foreign country, make sure that your airline allows you the full 40 lb bag that the US airlines do - some foreign carriers limit your carry on to 13 kg, or about 6 lbs, so that certainly would be a challenge!

Can someone clarify for me - can we just roll our bags onto the ship, or do we have to check them in with the porters? I know they'll have to go through x-ray either way,

On Monarch last week, they were stopping people as they got to the security scanners and sending them back outside to check their large bags with the porters. I saw one small roller board suitcase go through, but pretty much all other suitcases were being sent back outside. They were only letting people carry on items that were really "carry ons"....backpacks, totebags, TINY little suitcases, briefcases, that kind of thing. Well, actually I think I saw one guy's garment bag go through.

We've done the one bag thing on a 3 night. Much easier to do if skipping Formal Nights since you can pack casual clother tightly in a roll aboard. Saves on airline bag fees (save for Southwest and maybe a couple others).

I can't do it due to my CPAP, which I carry seperately, and due to DW's packing habits:rolleyes:.

One thing I have started doing is to rent formal shoes from the cruiseline, $10-$12. Those things way a ton!

Lol! I read quickly and thought you wrote "I can't do it due to my CRAP":eek: But then realized it was CPAP - make much more sense now!:D

On Monarch last week, they were stopping people as they got to the security scanners and sending them back outside to check their large bags with the porters. I saw one small roller board suitcase go through, but pretty much all other suitcases were being sent back outside. They were only letting people carry on items that were really "carry ons"....backpacks, totebags, TINY little suitcases, briefcases, that kind of thing. Well, actually I think I saw one guy's garment bag go through.

Thanks, waterbug...that's what I figured. I don't mind checking my bag with a porter, but I thought I would just hang onto it if I could. I have one of those airline carry on sized bags with a matching makeup bag that sits on top, so it's pretty easy to maneuver.

What about debarking? Can I just roll my own bag off at whatever time they assign me (not during express)? I really don't want to get caught up in the express crowd or have to put my bag out the night before if I don't have to.

Archived