Things that you should know about the ships

In the meantime, while we have all been counting suites, there has been an apparent HUGE increase in Europeans on Regent. We (meaning CC members) have apparently missed the fact that Regent has wisely (or not) been advertising in an untapped market. I will definitely pay attention to this when we are on our September 7th cruise.

We Europeans are perfectly respectable and civilised. We know how to use a knife and fork and gave up running around in furs and woad a couple of weeks ago!! Some of us can even read and count to ten.:)

Yes I know -- my husband (born and raised in London) is much more civilized than I am. However, he just hasn't learned to spell:D

Wow, talk about something out of the blue. What's your source of information for this bombshell? Actually, I have it on good authority that the HUGE increase on Regent has been in European children. :eek:

Dave

Still having trouble doing more than one "quote" at once. My source was someone on another board that was on the Navigator and posted the percentages of repeat Regent customers (relatively low) and Europeans. I do visit the U.K. website fairly often -- sometimes wishing we could book using British Pounds.

The reason I'll be looking at the numbers on our cruise is because it leaves from Southampton -- a perfect starting point for anyone living in the U.K. It would be nice if my DH had some fellow "Londoners" on board.

I think the voodoo science goes back to cumulative lifeboat capacity.

Another way to approach this problem is to know the number of people (includes everyone: passengers and crew and any other extras) each life boat holds and count the number of life boats on each ship.

Yes, I think we should make it an exercise, for the next people on each of the ships, to go around and note down the capacity of all of the lifeboats and report back to us!

Still having trouble doing more than one "quote" at once.

If all of the items you want to quote are in one thread, I can help. If they are in multiple threads, it can be done, but is considerably more complicated.

Look for this icon in each thread you want to quote: multiquote_off.gif

Click that icon in each thread in succession. Each will turn red: multiquote_on.gif

Then, click this icon in any of the threads you have already turned "on": quote.gif

A new window will open with all of the quotes placed in order.

Edit the text in that window, eliminating superfluous verbiage from the quote, being very careful not to disturb any of the square brackets [ ] or any of the "tags" inside the square brackets (QUOTE, /QUOTE). Move the quoted text down a couple of rows by hitting your "Enter" key, and insert your comments regarding each quote.

It is best to choose "Preview Post" rather than "Submit Reply" so you can make corrections before they appear to the rest of us. :o

To insert quotes from a different thread, or even a different site, requires opening another instance of your browser, navigating to the material you want to quote, inserting it into your own reply message, and using the "Wrap quote around selected text" icon: quote.gif

hondorner: Thank you so much for trying to help:)

I probably should be off topic in the middle of a thread thread, however, I am and will try to find a way to be on subject in a minute.

I could find this icon: multiquote_on.gif

But have no clue where this one is: multiquote_off.gif

Back on topic (sort of). I'm trying to figure out why counting passengers, crew and "extras" (BTW, what are "extras) on a lifeboat will figure out maximum capacity of a ship. This is really voodoo science:-) I think there has to be enough capacity in the lifeboats for everyone. If not, just throw the "European children" overboard.

Before you start bashing. . . . . . I was just "kid"ding. . . . .:p

I probably should be off topic in the middle of a thread thread, however, I am and will try to find a way to be on subject in a minute.

I could find this icon: multiquote_on.gif

But have no clue where this one is: multiquote_off.gif

TC,

It's the same icon When you click on the icon, the blue background turns red.

Dave

Preview the evening menu's in the Gaileo Lounge on the Navigator, or the Observation Lounge on the Mariner or Voyager (all meals are also shown on television).

I've enjoyed previewing the menu on TV aboard the Voyager. Couldn't find it on the Mariner this May - searched all the usual channels. Are they still doing this?

Back on topic (sort of). I'm trying to figure out why counting passengers, crew and "extras" (BTW, what are "extras) on a lifeboat will figure out maximum capacity of a ship. This is really voodoo science:-) I think there has to be enough capacity in the lifeboats for everyone. If not, just throw the "European children" overboard.

Before you start bashing. . . . . . I was just "kid"ding. . . . .:p

Extras in my mind are lecturers, non-crew entertainers, etc. If you call them crew, fine. I just didn't want to call them "staff" based on response to that word in another post.

I really do think the lifeboat capacity is the true max. Let's say a percentage of the cabins are singles. Even if you *could* put triples or [gasp] quads in remaining unbooked cabins they won't do it beyond a certain numerical point because of the safety issue.

Now all this of course has nothing to do with what passenger capacity or public space/passenger ratio "should" be on a luxury line which if I get your gist is the issue for you TC2. I can't say I would be particularly thrilled with a "harried" staff and "temporary" tables crowded into dining venues either.

Extras in my mind are lecturers, non-crew entertainers, etc. If you call them crew, fine. I just didn't want to call them "staff" based on response to that word in another post.

I really do think the lifeboat capacity is the true max. Let's say a percentage of the cabins are singles. Even if you *could* put triples or [gasp] quads in remaining unbooked cabins they won't do it beyond a certain numerical point because of the safety issue.

Now all this of course has nothing to do with what passenger capacity or public space/passenger ratio "should" be on a luxury line which if I get your gist is the issue for you TC2. I can't say I would be particularly thrilled with a "harried" staff and "temporary" tables crowded into dining venues either.

Okay -- now I get it. Thank you! You're correct about my feelings of having the advertised amount of public space and passenger ratio. Having just read how poorly Regent was doing in the 4th quarter of last year, I understand why they have taken steps to increase revenue. Adding "free" excursions is apparently working well for them. Overbooking ships, on the other hand, was a miss step in my opinion.

Speaking of crowded ships, I'm not certain if I posted this tip or not (too lazy to go back over all the posts). So, here it is -- perhaps again.

I have mentioned the fact that Compass Rose has special menu's on the night of the Captain's Reception. After this event, most of the 700 passengers on board head to the dining venues. Compass Rose, being a non-reservation restaurant, is hit the hardest. This truly causes the staff to be stressed and makes it feel as if Regent is understaffing Compass Rose. So, if you relax for a while and have a pre-dinner cocktail, you can avoid the rush and the crowds. Alternatively, you can go to Compass Rose during the Reception and be seated immediately. This also happens on the last night when the staff puts on their fabulous show at either 6:00 or 6:30 p.m.

P.S. DaveFr: Think I was having a "duh" moment. Thanks for clearing it up:)

Okay -- now I get it. Thank you! You're correct about my feelings of having the advertised amount of public space and passenger ratio. Having just read how poorly Regent was doing in the 4th quarter of last year, I understand why they have taken steps to increase revenue. Adding "free" excursions is apparently working well for them. Overbooking ships, on the other hand, was a miss step in my opinion.

TC - why do you feel that Regent is overbooking/overcrowding ships?

Have they been doing this all along or is it just this past year?

I've enjoyed previewing the menu on TV aboard the Voyager. Couldn't find it on the Mariner this May - searched all the usual channels. Are they still doing this?

Yes, it was still available on Voyager 3 weeks ago.

In the meantime, while we have all been counting suites, there has been an apparent HUGE increase in Europeans on Regent. We (meaning CC members) have apparently missed the fact that Regent has wisely (or not) been advertising in an untapped market. QUOTE]

Well, if you want to avoid children (Regent has too many?), and you want to avoid a diverse clientele, where American pax may not be in the wide majority, where do you go next?

I've cruised with children on Regent, and on Silversea, I've cruised happily with a wide variety of Brits, Aussies, Europeans and Asians, American's being about 38%. And on other Regent cruises (Asia particularly) there has been quite a mix of nationalities. So I don't feel like all "we" CC members have missed the fact that Regent is trying hard to stay afloat just like every other luxury cruise line by attracting business wherever they can find markets in this small world of ours. It's not like you would get on an "XYZ" line that has all the announcements in 5 languages! Now that would annoy me, as it has when I have been docked next to them in port and have to listen if I am on my balcony!

Editing to say, I knew I couldn't get that "quote" thing right! I am way too challenged electronically!

Editing to say, I knew I couldn't get that "quote" thing right! I am way too challenged electronically!

The hardest thing to do when quoting is to avoid changing the "tag" that instructs the browser how to perform. These "tags" are simple instructions enclosed within square brackets "[ ]". The tags, or instructions, are invisible in the finished message.

I'll show you an example, but I'm going to use "curly brackets" to enclose the tags, otherwise the browser will act on the tag and it will be invisible to you.

A quote starts with the tag, {QUOTE=And-some-other-information} and ends with the tag {/QUOTE}. The slash mark is the "switch" that turns off the tag. Just remember to not erase any of the square brackets or the forward slash in the quote, and it will come out just fine.

Firstly, jhp, this thread is not about children. I would prefer to keep this on track if possible as it's intent was to give information to new and not so new cruisers about the ships, etc.

How diverse Regent's clientele is was a side issue. Just in case you missed my post on the previous page, my interest in the number of European's on recent cruises has to do with my DH who is hoping to find fellow British passengers on our coming cruise since it departs from England. This subject could possibly make a good topic for a separate thread.

Peek-a-Boo: yes, you actually hit the nail on the head (so to speak). Regent has not had more than 700 passengers on the Mariner and Voyager or 490 on the Navigator (give or take 10 or so people) -- at least not that has been reported on CC or any other boards that I always read prior to the last 2 months.

There was a report on a board that the Navigator had 3 people more than the "490" and that three staff departed the ship in Istanbul. Note: I have no way of verifying this other than to state that it was on another cruise board.

"Regulars" on the Regent board have posted dissatisfaction with various things in the past that have been corrected by Regent. Most recently were hundreds of posts complaining about the dress code. As many know, the dress code was changed last month. Prior to that was an issue with passengers on cancelled cruises getting their refunds in a timely manner. Not only was this corrected, but, the President of Regent posted a letter on CruiseCritic regarding this topic.

Posting about Regent allowing considerably more than 700 people on the Mariner is a concern to some of us. Thankfully, CC allows all of us to voice our thoughts and opinions. Unfortunately, some people feel it necessary to misconstrue and argue with almost everything I say.

Hopefully, the people still reading this thread will add to some hints and suggestions about cruising on the different Regent ships.

Did you know the gotten is actually old(e) English?

Now that is really interesting! Whenever I use that word, my DH makes a comment (he doesn't like the word). Think he'll find the origin surprising. Thanks for that tidbit.

I didn't know either. Forgive me, but it sounds wrong to my English ears!. :)

Much as I also dislike the sound of the word, it is absolutly correct that it is from old English and is actually still used in some English dialects. In fact, a lot of American usage is from an earlier period of English which we would now regard as archaic.

I don't use "archaic" in any pejorative sense. The past participle of get in English English is usually got and we wouldn't normally use the structure "have gotten". For example, we would say "I have had a number of replies.."

Interestingly, creeping into English usage by some younger people - and copying American, and maybe Canadian usage - is the phrase can I get as in "Can I get a cup of coffee?" when asking for said article. This sounds very odd to me as I would use "May I have a cup of coffee?" If I were to be serving and someone said to me "Can I get a cup of coffee?" my response would be "Yes you can, but would you like one?"

But then I am probably just showing my age.

The hardest thing to do when quoting is to avoid changing the "tag" that instructs the browser how to perform. These "tags" are simple instructions enclosed within square brackets "[ ]". The tags, or instructions, are invisible in the finished message.

I'll show you an example, but I'm going to use "curly brackets" to enclose the tags, otherwise the browser will act on the tag and it will be invisible to you.

A quote starts with the tag, {QUOTE=And-some-other-information} and ends with the tag {/QUOTE}. The slash mark is the "switch" that turns off the tag. Just remember to not erase any of the square brackets or the forward slash in the quote, and it will come out just fine.

Thank you hondorner! My problem is/was when I try to isolate part of a post rather than reposting it in its entirety

Archived