Hottest day ever recorded in Vancouver

Thought this would be of interest for those visiting Vancouver in the next few days. For the metrically challenged, 33.8C is 93F, and these are the temperatures at the airport (right on the water). Inland a little bit (I'm about 10 miles from downtown), it's currently 37C (99F)

Hottest day ever recorded in Vancouver

Wednesday was the hottest day ever recorded in Vancouver, according to CBC meteorologist Claire Martin.

At 5 p.m. PT, Environment Canada recorded a record-breaking high of 33.8 C, breaking the previous record of 33.3 C set in 1960.

Martin said anyone hoping the heat wave blanketing B.C. will be breaking anytime soon might just have to find some other way to chill out.

"It's a very stable weather pattern — and very pronounced. It's not moving anywhere fast," Martin said Wednesday.

Temperatures have been soaring across the province all week, hitting the low 40s (in degrees Celsius) in hot spots such as Lytton in the Fraser Canyon, setting records and driving thousands to lakes, pools, and beaches.

The massive high-pressure ridge currently sitting across most of the province extends unusually high up into the atmosphere, Martin said.

'Like shoving an elephant'

That means the weak frontal systems that normally spin in from the open Pacific Ocean onto the West Coast during the summer are now being deflected far up to Alaska and Canada's north.

"It's so broad, so big, it's almost like shoving an elephant out of the way," said Martin.

Just when the elephantine heat wave will move on is impossible to predict, she said.

That's because it will likely require a series of frontal systems to gradually break down the high-pressure ridge starting in the upper atmosphere, and there are no such systems strong enough to do that in the forecast.

Any long-term weather forecasts that show the temperature dropping in four days, even those from Environment Canada, are somewhat misleading, said Martin.

"The models keep saying it's coming to an end in four days. There may be a slight reprieve through the weekend, but after that, it will likely to heat up again," she said.

The problem with long-term forecasts is that they are based on statistical models that assume the temperature will return to the season average after four days. But under this massive high-pressure ridge, there's nothing pointing to that happening anytime soon, she said.

...and I live practically by the water and have a/c! Glad I don't live in the valley.

No reprieve from the heat until Sunday according to the weather network....:eek:

I'm in Harrison Hot Springs right now and it is still over 90F at 9:00 pm. No breeze either, which is unusual here. I was down around Spanish Banks (out by UBC for out-of-towners) this morning, though, and it was lovely.

Viv

I guess the heat is all relative-we had a cold wave in Tucson, AZ. today-it was down to 104 from yesterday's 108:eek:!!!!

The thing is that in Canada, not every home has A/C since we don't get many hot days so people can get miserable in very hot weather. The movie theatres, restaurants and malls will be packed.

The thing is that in Canada, not every home has A/C since we don't get many hot days so people can get miserable in very hot weather. The movie theatres, restaurants and malls will be packed.

You're absolutely right.....I was just "releasing steam" after a horrendous day in the office....The heat is especially bad for the elderly, the sick, the homeless, etc......even deadly.......Many of our homes here in the desert don't even have a.c.-including mine. (a.c. can be a fringe benefit of the job-really).....I'm looking forward to cooler days when I come to Quebec in Sept......

The other thing that is unusual is the higher humidity, which makes it feel hotter.

As my sister-in-law said "if I've got to be in this kind of heat, I want it to be because I'm on a vacation somewhere." :D Preferrably with foo foo drink in hand.

The other thing that is unusual is the higher humidity, which makes it feel hotter.

As my sister-in-law said "if I've got to be in this kind of heat, I want it to be because I'm on a vacation somewhere." :D Preferrably with foo foo drink in hand.

......I'll drink to that! :cool:

thurs006.gif

This jet stream is so far north that even the Yukon reached 33C yesterday and is predicted to get to 32C today. 32!? The YUKON!? Crazy weather.:eek:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/yt-16_metric_e.html

Must be sweltering in Alaska as well...think of all those Alaskan cruisers coming back with a tan - you'd think they'd just come back from Mexico!

I'm in Harrison Hot Springs right now and it is still over 90F at 9:00 pm. No breeze either, which is unusual here. I was down around Spanish Banks (out by UBC for out-of-towners) this morning, though, and it was lovely.

Viv

Viv- at about 9:00 last night, the thermometer on our balcony was still reading 31C. I am not faring that much better than you, so I feel your pain.... :)

Meanwhile, Southern Ontario, which typically gets up to 35 at this time of year (with the most gawd-awful humidity) has barely spiked to 25 this summer.

Although, I can here cicadas outside today, so it might be warming up.

Actually found a cool spot this morning - in biking around Stanley Park it was very pleasant from the Prospect Point lighthouse around to 2nd Beach because the sun was still in the shade and there was a light but pleasant breeze - now that I am home it is a different story.

Cheers

Dennis

As I sit here with a cold wet towel around my neck and the fan blowing on me full bore I don't have to work hard at remembering what it was like in the Amazon rain forest last October!

I decided then that it would be the hottest temperature I would ever feel....and....was very thankful that I knew it would end in days as we sailed north to 'chilly' Florida!!!

Yesterday and today it was HOTTER in our rain forest than in Manaus Br.....which is 1000kms into the Amazon rain forest!!!

This is just crazy!!!

It has been hotter than H here on the Sunshine Coast this week as well. We got killed on the golf course on Monday with the humidity...we all agreed that we had golfed in warmer temps down south but never with that much humidity. You could have wrung our shirts out. Weds was pretty bad as well but at least we carted and on Friday we played before it go to hot. Today I was down at the club a volunteer for a big tourney we stage each year and was very happy that I could hide in the shade of a very large cedar tree as the players came by.

It has been hotter than H here on the Sunshine Coast this week as well. We got killed on the golf course on Monday with the humidity...we all agreed that we had golfed in warmer temps down south but never with that much humidity. You could have wrung our shirts out.

That was me at a golf course in Langley on Tuesday, only I literally wrung sweat out of my shirttail at the end of the round.

^ I know they say a bad day's golf is better than working ;), but is it really enjoyable in these conditions? Seriously asking - I'm not a golfer.

You'll have to ask someone else. After an 18-month layoff with a severe wrist fracture, I'm just happy to be playing again under any conditions.

Archived