Radio

"LIVE" from Freedom of the Seas / Aug 2, 2009

Hello everyone ! I arrived in Cape Canaveral this afternoon for a pre cruise stay near the port. I am staying at Country Inn and Suites on Astronaut Blvd. The rooms are very nice, with a large pool.

For those of you that are new to Cruise Critic, I will be providing something more than a Cruise Ship Review.

I will be posting Daily Photos, of the Ports of Call, Cabin, Ship exterior, and public areas. I will be able to answer many questions, and provide daily commentary. (Pending valid internet connection)

I last sailed on a Freedom Class ship back in Jan 2008 (Liberty of the Seas), and made a VIDEO of that voyage. The Freedom Class ships are certainly the most magnificent ships (to date), and they seems to have thrilled many passengers in the past several years.

The Freedom of the Seas will be sailing a Western itinerary this week, with stops at Labadee, Ocho Rios, Georgetown Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

I really want to see and report on the changes in Labadee, and the changes in the Cruise Compass (I read here on CC that it has changed). I have also read that there are several new shows. . .

The ship seems to be sold out, so I am looking forward to hear how many passengers will be sailing tomorrow.

My plan is to arrive to the Pier tomorrow early, and I should be onboard to post many photos before sail away at 4:30PM.

This should be a fun week, so sit back. . .Have a cup of coffee, and thanks for tuning in !

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Freedom of the Seas

F1.jpg

© 2008 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Edited by Radio

I just LOVE your live posts Radio and I am looking forward to "sailing" with you this week!

Lisa

Radio, glad to see another "live" thread. I loved the Freedom. A beautiful ship. Have a great cruise and thanks for taking us along.

Looking forward to hearing all about your cruise as I'll be sailing away

15 weeks from tomorrow. I usually watch the web cam every Sunday.

Have a great time!!

~Jo~ :)

Hi Radio: Will be waiting for your report on the Freedom as we sail in November on the Eastern itinerary ...

Look forward to hearing about the changes and new shows...

We will be on that same route and ship later this month, so we are very much looking forward to your review.

Sounds like you are doing what we plan to do, which is to arrive in Orlando/Port Canaveral a day before the cruise. Quick question (assuming you flew in), how did you get from Orlando airport to the hotel you are staying at in Port Canaveral? We are having a hard time trying to figure out how we are going to get to our hotel from the airport the day before the cruise. Also, how do you plan to get to the port from your hotel, a taxi or shuttle?

It says boarding time is at 4:30 (just like our cruise), but please let us know how early one can get to the Port. Seems like you are going to try to get there early, which is what we like to do.

Thanks and have a great cruise!!

We cruise the same intinerary on the Freedom in 4 weeks. I will be watching/reading with much interest!

Hi Pete78, we were on the FOS in May. We flew in the day before and rented a car at the airport from Avis, then we had the car for the day. We returned the car Sunday morning in Cape Canaveral (near the hotel) and they shuttled my husband back to the hotel. Then we took a taxi about 11:00 to the Ship. They had a shuttle from the hotel but the taxi was so much easier. Also I think Avis will take you right to the ship if you want, ask them. We are going again next May and plan on doing the same thing. We stayed at the Radisson and next time I am going to stay at the Comfort Suites. Have a great time!!!

I'm tuned in ready to hear about your cruise on Freedom of the Seas! :D I've also read your previous reports from the Norwegian Spirit, & Liberty of the Seas! :D Can't wait!

Hi Radio! So happy to tune in again!!!

I was just on the Freedom 7/12 (Eastern) and it was great! Have a vidalia onion tart for me :)

Edited by dwdwnurse
Edit

We will be on that same route and ship later this month, so we are very much looking forward to your review.

Sounds like you are doing what we plan to do, which is to arrive in Orlando/Port Canaveral a day before the cruise. Quick question (assuming you flew in), how did you get from Orlando airport to the hotel you are staying at in Port Canaveral? We are having a hard time trying to figure out how we are going to get to our hotel from the airport the day before the cruise. Also, how do you plan to get to the port from your hotel, a taxi or shuttle?

It says boarding time is at 4:30 (just like our cruise), but please let us know how early one can get to the Port. Seems like you are going to try to get there early, which is what we like to do.

Thanks and have a great cruise!!

Having lived in Orlando for 18 years, I can tell you that there are NUMEROUS shuttles from MCO to Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach area, but it can be less expensive to simply rent a car as others have said. You may spend $50 or so renting a car, but you will spend at least that much taking a shuttle service from Orlando airport to Port Canaveral--and then still have no way around (if you want to go for dinner, or shopping, etc). As stated on other threads, it is super easy to get to Port Canaveral from MCO.....take the NORTH exit out of the airport (towards 436/528)...follow the signs for 528 Beachline EAST. The drive is about 45 minutes...once you get near the port, there are plenty of signs to point you in the right direction. Cocoa Beach area is not that big, and you might enjoy going to Ron Jon's Surf Shop for some unique t-shirts, etc.....I may have to buy some next time we're there.........sometimes makes me miss Florida.....

Thanks Radio. I look forward to reading your daily reviews. We are planning on sailing on FOS next year. First time on Freedom Class ships with RCCL.

We're sailing Freedom-western on 8/16.

Waiting to hear every detail. Seriously, every minute, tiny detail!

Help me get through the next 2 weeks!

Bon Voyage!

I'll be "cruising" with you this week =) Can't wait til my FOS cruise which is in less than a month !

We cruise the same intinerary on the Freedom in 4 weeks. I will be watching/reading with much interest!
So do we of course -- roll call friend. Have had Radio do his reviews once or twice before we sailed and they really whet your appetite.

Where's the web cam? This is so exciting!

There are several Web Cams. . .

Here is one that you can see the ships coming and going from Jetty Park in Port Canaveral.

http://www.cocoabeachsurf.com/BeachCam1.htm

Here is the Local 6 Cam with a view towards the Inlet. . .

http://www.clickorlando.com/blank/2349894/detail.html

Here is the Famous Radisson Web Cam with views of the ships in Port.

http://www.opusad.com/radissonwebcam/

Radio

;);)

Where's the web cam? This is so exciting!

Just watched her dock 90 minutes ago and it looks like passengers are already disembarking and making their way to the parking garage.

http://www.portcanaveral.com/webcam.htm

Radio - thanks in advance for your posts, looking forward to reading them. Have a great cruise, 7 weeks today for us.

Just watched her dock 90 minutes ago and it looks like passengers are already disembarking and making their way to the parking garage.

Radio - thanks in advance for your posts, looking forward to reading them. Have a great cruise, 7 weeks today for us.

I just took a look and you can see lights moving. How awesome!

I just took a look and you can see lights moving. How awesome!

The sun is up now and the picture will get even better very soon!

Edited by peteukmcr

I'll be "cruising" with you this week =) Can't wait til my FOS cruise which is in less than a month !

Looks like you are on the same cruise. We have a great roll call thread going. You should check it out. Did you sign up for meet n mingle?

Radio--thanks so much for doing this again. Your onboard posts are excellent.

Deb

Hello everyone. . . The forecast for today is 93, and “Steamy Sunshine” (from Local 6 News)

There is a small chance of rain, but it seems there is a chance of rain many days in Cape Canaveral. . .

The hotel I am staying at is very nice, and plan to stay here again. This is the closest hotel to the port. Next door to us is Marriott Courtyard (Hertz Car Rental in front), and the Radisson Resort at the Port is just south of the Marriott.

We are very close to the port, and you can see the Freedom of the seas docked at Terminal 10. We are being joined today by Disney Wonder (Pier 8), and Carnival Sensation (Pier 5).

Here are a few pics from yesterday, and this morning. . .

See you onboard ! ! More pics later today . . . .

Radio

Disney Magic from Canaveral Locks (Saturday)

A9.JPG

Famous Ron Jon Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach yesterday. . .

A6.JPG

Country Inn and Suites

A15.JPG

Freedom of the Seas early this morning (530AM) at Port Canaveral

A7.JPG

Freedom of the Seas from the Port Canaveral Webcam this morning

A10.jpg

Freedom of the Seas from my Hotel (Country Inn and Suites)

A14.JPG

Edited by Radio

Thanks Radio

We will be sailing in another 8 weeks on same itinerary. looking forward to your updates. I can not wait.

Enjoy your cruise

Happy Sailing.

ML

Thanks Radio, we sailed her last August in an OS, which was a wonderful treat. It was a great trip. Enjoy and thanks for taking us along!

Radio - Thanks for the photos!:) Please if you could, post some photos of the new pier they are building in Labadee. We are hoping they will be done by our cruise Oct. 11th. Thanks for any info you can get a hold of.:D We will be staying tuned.;)

You beat me to it.

Mary Louise, it looks like you're going to be on our sailing. Have you checked out our roll call board and signed up for our Meet and Mingle? We've got a pretty good group going so far.

Radio :D:D

Your LIVE posts are aways fabulous, but this one is very meaningful to me as I will be on the Freedom 21 days from today!!!! :):)

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us, and I will await each of your posts with eager anticipation!!!!!

Have a GREAT cruise!!!!!!! :p:p