Arm in cast..flowrider restrictions?

My daughter broke her arm just before we left on holidays. We are finding some of the rides at the theme parks wont let her ride with her cast. Just wondering if she will be allowed on the flowrider/rock climbing wall. The cast is waterproof so no problem there. Just wondering if anyone has any first had experience. The darn thing is due to come off while we are on the cruise but she is stuck with it for a few extra days untill we get home.:confused:

I would say 100% there is no way that RCI would allow her to use the Flowrider or the rock wall, both will require the full use of her arms....

as such I would also be fearful of letting my children/or myself for that matter to use either so short after the healing of a broken bone....I would think the bones are still delicate at that point....

I broke my wrist (quite badly) last April... had the fixator off in June, but my doctor a still had me on restriction of activities when we went on Liberty in September, so wasn't able to participate in the flowrider, skating, etc. Even if the ship will let her participate, I'd be sure to get her doctors approval.

If its supposed to come off while on the cruise, just have it removed a few days early, if the Dr thinks its ok.

If it were me deciding, I wouldn't let someone with a cast on Flowrider or the climbing wall. Yikkes.

See if your Dr will take it off before you leave, otherwise I dont think RCI will allow her to go on. Your Doctor may not take if off in fear she will injure it again on the Flowrider. I have seen some people fall pretty hard and it looks awful painful. I myself wont do it in fear of injuring my knee. if he does take if off, you may want to let her do the Boogie Board only and not do the stand up. Boogie boarding seems allot safer and less painful if you wipe out.

See if your Dr will take it off before you leave, otherwise I dont think RCI will allow her to go on. Your Doctor may not take if off in fear she will injure it again on the Flowrider. I have seen some people fall pretty hard and it looks awful painful. I myself wont do it in fear of injuring my knee. if he does take if off, you may want to let her do the Boogie Board only and not do the stand up. Boogie boarding seems allot safer and less painful if you wipe out.

This is a very resonable suggestion. Unless your daughter is a very large and heavy person (over 6' and 200 lbs) she will get thrown around pretty violently when she falls down on the flow rider. At least with the boogie board she has a chance of not injuring her arm any further.

My daughter broke her arm just before we left on holidays. We are finding some of the rides at the theme parks wont let her ride with her cast. Just wondering if she will be allowed on the flowrider/rock climbing wall. The cast is waterproof so no problem there. Just wondering if anyone has any first had experience. The darn thing is due to come off while we are on the cruise but she is stuck with it for a few extra days untill we get home.:confused:

:mad::confused::eek::mad:

If RCI allowed this they would go down in my estimation.

Knowing what a litigious society we live in can you imagine if she had an accident and compounded the break? Straight down to the attorney to sue RCI for negligence in allowing her to participate.

If RCI allowed this girl to go on the flowrider with a cast, they deserved to be sued

As someone new to the having a child game, I would never let my child go on the flowrider whether she still had a cast on or just newly off, no matter how much she protested or her suggesting she will be safe

While we were on the Freedom last month a teenager broke his collar bone on the Flow Rider - the water is very strong and it will slam the person against the sides and the back wall. As others have posted, the bone is still in a healing process and could be fractured again very easily.

The flowrider would be a bad choice for her, as her arm in the cast will decrease her agility. My DH and sons actually got bruises from the flowrider; you really do get thrown around pretty hard.

Anyway, I am sure they would not let her do it, even if you ok'd it.

Maybe the OP thinks the "Flowrider" is one of those lazy river/float in a big tube rides. I can't imagine he/she would even consider allowing a child with a broken arm to go on a ride which is, more or less, the equivalent of surfing.

I am somewhat curious as to how the daughter broke her arm in the first place and why the OP seems anxious to put her in a situation where she could do so again. One would think "once bitten, twice shy".:rolleyes:

I can't speak for the OP, but I would imagine that most people have never seen something like a flowrider in person.

RCI markets it as something fun that everyone should try. That implies, at least to me, that it is very safe and while maybe difficult to be successful at, not going to hurt anyone.

I've never seen one and will be on Freedom this week as well. I showed DS this thread and we discussed some of the dangers.

I don't think it's fair to assume there is bad parenting involved in her question.

I can't speak for the OP, but I would imagine that most people have never seen something like a flowrider in person.

RCI markets it as something fun that everyone should try. That implies, at least to me, that it is very safe and while maybe difficult to be successful at, not going to hurt anyone.

I've never seen one and will be on Freedom this week as well. I showed DS this thread and we discussed some of the dangers.

I don't think it's fair to assume there is bad parenting involved in her question.

It is fun, but you CAN get hurt on it. I would never allow my daughter on one with a freshly healing fracture!!!!! Never, never, never!!!! While the padding is very soft under your feet, a hard fall could snap a bone!!!

You start out like this, the pro surfer I am;)

IMG_0391.jpg

If you are really good, you end up like this, one of the RCCL dudes:D

IMG_0378.jpg

And if you're not :eek:(99.9% of the people, guesstimate) This is my husband!!!

IMG_0374.jpg

I think you need to sit and watch the Flowrider for half an hour and then reconsider putting your child on there- you will see people getting slammed against the back wall, falling, falling, and - well it's just not a sensible thing to do for someone recently injured..:(

Archived