Open dining times - deluxe veranda suite

DaveOKC

After reading some of the posts concerning open dining, I am a bit confused. I know that you can get a reservation for certain times on the day of the request, but that the busier times are first come, first served.

Now, I see some mention that Deluxe Veranda Suite passengers can get whatever times they want through the Neptune Lounge personnel. Is this correct? Can they get a dining time of lets say 7PM reserved? I just want to understand the program.

DaveOKC

We only ate open dining on the Eurodam last November and the Neptune Lounge got us evey time we requested. It was never really that crowded. It is more difficult if you have a large party..we were only 2. We also ate on the Lido deck a few times for dinner which was nice since they serve you.

We just returned on the Amsterdam and stayed in the deluxe verandah suite. We were limited to the same reservation rules as everyone else (no reservations during peak times). We had a large group of 8 and were not always able to get a table together either. We tried calling in the morning, the day before, two days before. It does seem easier to get what you need if you call a day or two in advance, but we were not able to book during the peak times. The concierge in the Neptune lounge was not able to do better than we did when we called directly. They also made a mistake on our Pinnacle Grill reservation (wrong day), which created a bit of confusion, but we were able to rearrange our plans.

Rading the 3 replies thus far you can see why I was confused! One says they were able to do it but 2 say they were not! I wonder if this varies by ship?

DaveOKC

While it is a bit confusing, on the five different HAL ships we have experienced, all the concierge folks do follow the rules. However, when there are special circumstances such as birthdays etc .. they tend to push the envelope a bit. Even during peak times, the wait for tables is really not that long, so I suggest going with the flow and not stressing out over it.

harry

We have been on quite a few different ships since this nwq dining venue began -- and the rules didn't change.

:confused: What is "nwq" dining? I don't know about what you are referring.

The main dining room reservations are for 5:45 p.m.(I believe that is the main dining room's opening time) and 8:00 p.m. respectively.

Confirmed dining is upper dining room is for those seatings. IF you want another time frame, i.e., 7:00 or 7:30 p.m. you can ask your concierge to make your reservations. But I think will be seated in the main dining room lower level only.

Keep in mind that not having a confirmed seating with a large group may make it much harder to get a table.

The best thing to do is to contact HAL directly and see if you can get a confirmed seating now.

We are wait listed for our B2B cruise 7-21 February on the Westerdam for 8:00 p.m. (our preferred time to eat.)

Having a Deluxe Veranda Suite does NOT guarantee a confirmed seating, believe me I know, note my previous paragraph.

Joanie

Having a Deluxe Veranda Suite does NOT guarantee a confirmed seating, believe me I know, note my previous paragraph.

Joanie

Call Ship's Services and tell them to read their brochure. You are guaranteed your dining time of choice. Perhaps not your table number of choice but your time of choice.

800-541-1576

Tell them to read page 106 of the new "Americas 2009-2010" Brochure. It lists Amenities that attach to PS and "S -SA-SB-SC" Category cabins.

Among those are: Priority dining and seating requests.

You are paying for it included in your fare and it is yours for the asking.

Did you use a TA? Are you sure they appropriately discussed this and themselves know to what you are entitled?

If you booked with a PCC, they definitely know and act accordingly.

If you booked on line, handle it yourself.

After reading some of the posts concerning open dining, I am a bit confused. I know that you can get a reservation for certain times on the day of the request, but that the busier times are first come, first served.

Now, I see some mention that Deluxe Veranda Suite passengers can get whatever times they want through the Neptune Lounge personnel. Is this correct? Can they get a dining time of lets say 7PM reserved? I just want to understand the program.

DaveOKC

Dave,

I decided to look deeper into the question(s) asked about dining and here is the the thread that lays it out in plain English for us all (except for the specified Fixed seating (as you will see):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627832

Hope this clears things up for you

Joanie

Call Ship's Services and tell them to read their brochure. You are guaranteed your dining time of choice. Perhaps not your table number of choice but your time of choice.

800-541-1576

Tell them to read page 106 of the new "Americas 2009-2010" Brochure. It lists Amenities that attach to PS and "S -SA-SB-SC" Category cabins.

Did you use a TA? Are you sure they appropriately discussed this and themselves know to what you are entitled?

I use HAL PCC only for everything. Same PCC for all 3 cruises. When she put in our time preference there is a wait list. Thankfully we are #3 on the list so should get. BUT They cannot give you what is already gone.

Joanie

Yes, Joannie, they can.

You have bought it and it is yours. Really not complicated.

If you are not getting it, ask for PCC's supervisor. Call for Customer Service Rep for your ship if necessary.

You should not have to dance through these hoops.

We have never had to play any sort of nonesense like that and would not.

Yes, Joannie, they can.

You have bought it and it is yours. Really not complicated.

If you are not getting it, ask for PCC's supervisor. Call for Customer Service Rep for you ship if necessary.

You should not have to dance through these hoops.

We have never had to play any sort of nonesense like that and would not.

Sail7Seas, I really do appreciate it and when the time nears and we are still wait listed at final payment due date (end of November) I will quote your posting for/to her.

But I knows my PCC and she will get us in at the time we want. I have no doubt of it!! She is such a sweety and even came to the airport personally on her day off to see us leave after our 1st cruise. Now that is personal care:)

Joanie

800-541-1576

Not trying to be difficult or snarky ... but it does say priority dining requests. Nothing about guarantees. Guessing that once there is a waitlist, suite guests are, and should be, at the top of that list. But I think HAL is careful in their wording so as not to cause a major kerfuffle.

We booked a year out, we are not in a suite, we were confirmed for our chosen dining at time of booking ... so I'm hopeful that if anyone needs to be moved from that confirmed fixed seating to accommodate later-booking suite guests, HAL will move thru the pecking order for non-suite guests who booked later than we did. As it should be.

I agree suite guests should be given priority choice ... but not at the expense of non-suites who booked way far out.

Sweet is fabulous. I love it when I am dealing with sweet people.

I also love it when I have no aggravation when planning my vacations.

I am very sure you will get the dining time you desire.

Have a great cruise.

Not trying to be difficult or snarky ... but it does say priority dining requests. Nothing about guarantees. Guessing that once there is a waitlist, suite guests are, and should be, at the top of that list. But I think HAL is careful in their wording so as not to cause a major kerfuffle.

We booked a year out, we are not in a suite, we were confirmed for our chosen dining at time of booking ... so I'm hopeful that if anyone needs to be moved from that confirmed fixed seating to accommodate later-booking suite guests, HAL will move thru the pecking order for non-suite guests who booked later than we did. As it should be.

I agree suite guests should be given priority choice ... but not at the expense of non-suites who booked way far out.

Camp:

Just last night on another thread, DutchByAssociation, who has made it clear he works in HAL headquarters posted this:

Quote:

<snip>

Do you mean the dining time requested? If so that is all first come first served (when booking and requesting) with the exception of deluxe suite guests who are auto-confirmed on the time they choose.

'Dutch' aka 'DBA'

This was on another thread re: suites and I think it might have been entitled something like "The Suite Life".

Parse words, whatever....... Suites guests who are persistent in their request, get the dining time of their choice.

Camp:

Just last night on another thread, DutchByAssociation, who has made it clear he works in HAL headquarters posted this:

This was on another thread re: suites and I think it might have been entitled something like "The Suite Life".

Parse words, whatever....... Suites guests who are persistent in their request, get the dining time of their choice.

That being the case, it's surprising that Joanie's PCC either doesn't know that or is unable to follow thru for her. Well, and I guess that goes for all the other PCC's and reservations people who are unable to confirm diining for their suite clients.

I don't disagree that there should be a pecking order for dining ... I just question whether HAL indeed has a firm policy and employees trained well enough to follow it.

NEW -- sorry

I had a Chalazia removed Monday and have trouble seeing at times because of the salve.

Thanks. I thought maybe they had come up with a whole new system I hadn't yet heard about.

Hope your eye heals well.

I use HAL PCC only for everything. Same PCC for all 3 cruises. When she put in our time preference there is a wait list. Thankfully we are #3 on the list so should get. BUT They cannot give you what is already gone.

Joanie

I'm not sure about that. We were in a deluxe verandah and were waitlisted for late dining when we booked. I called HAL and were immediately given our preference. The next time we booked, we were in a SS and waitlisted. I called and all they could do was waitlist us. We got our time, but not until we were on the ship. I just assumed in the SA, we were given preference. Maybe I assumed wrong?

Had the same problem about a year ago. We were in an SA and were waitlisted for fixed early dining. Mentioned it to our TA, who said we had to wait to be cleared off the list.

I asked the question here on HAL board and it was recommended I call Ship Services and mention I was in a deluxe suite and that one of the amenities listed in their brochure was that suite guests were to recieve their preferred dining time.

They switched me to my preference immediately - no problem at all!

Called my TA and said, "It's done!". She learned a valuable lesson for her next HAL booking.

I wouldn't hesitate to call Ship Services for your preference for fixed dining if you are iin a deluxe suite.

I would rely on sail7seas' comments. After reading this board of quite a while and their extensive knowledge of all aspects of ship operations, they apparently are employed by HAL.

Thanks for all your inside knowledge.

I most assuredly am NOT employed by HAL. Period.

We have cruised them a great many times and have garnerd lots of info through all the years of lots of cruises.

Archived