Newbie cruiser-- how much should we budget per day in port????

goose&mav

Realistically, how much should we expect to spend per day when we are in port for the 2 of us? I know that this can vary, but I just would like a ballpark amount from those veterans who have cruised before. We are cruising on the NCL Jade in October.

We plan to:

-take a combo of public transportation and taxis and see most of the sights on our own (except in Egypt and Ephesus and Nafplion--but we will eat on our own in Nafplion)

-eat lunch at moderately priced places--but good places

some of the prices per person in my research for lunch has been from $15 to 20 euro (kind of like near where I live also) for sit down places and less for on the go foods

-get some snacks

-buy some small souvenirs

I was guesstimating (sp) approx $100 to $150 euro per day for both of us.

Does that sound reasonable?

Can I hope that the euro falls against the dollar before October??? :-)

How much in cash do people usually bring on board --$1000 US or 2000 US or is that too much?

Unfortunately Europe is expensive. I have been known to post "whatever you think you will need - double it " and I stand by that.

We always bring $1000.00 in travellers checks and put them in our cabin safe. They are really meant for EMERGENCIES and I try to bring them home and use them to pay our seapass (onboard) account. But on both our Med cruises we spent some of it ! Not all - but some.

We brought $2000. cash on our last trip. As well as Gold and Platinum American Express, a Mastercard and a Visa. Ah yes....and our debit card which is also a Mastercard.

I know - I know, this sound extreme. But from meals in airports, taxis/transportation before getting on the ship (to hotel, to ship, back to hotel and then to airport in our case) meals at little cafes that don't take credit cards, bottled water, souveniers (when credit card wasnt used), tips, entry fees into sights, guides and tour costs (sometimes in cash) ferry/tram/metro fees, ...... well you get my point.

I would much rather take too much than not enough.

If you are careful....you can do it on less..... but my advice is to have an "emergency stash" :D

Realistically, how much should we expect to spend per day when we are in port for the 2 of us? I know that this can vary, but I just would like a ballpark amount from those veterans who have cruised before. We are cruising on the NCL Jade in October.

We plan to:

-take a combo of public transportation and taxis and see most of the sights on our own (except in Egypt and Ephesus and Nafplion--but we will eat on our own in Nafplion)

some of the prices per person in my research for lunch has been from $15 to 20 euro (kind of like near where I live also) for sit down places and less for on the go foods

-get some snacks

How much in cash do people usually bring on board --$1000 US or 2000 US or is that too much?

Different people can have different ideas of "reasonable." Your idea of a small souvenior could very will be my idea of an extravagent one ;).

From what you discribe as your DIY plan you can likely get by on the budget you proposed. Some places like Italy are very expensive and run a bit higher. From personal experience in many of our ports we managed Private tours for < 150 Euros a day, so don't discount private with tour share.

I brought most of my Euros with me as I was paying for private tour for 11 in most ports. For smaller outlays and DIY you can probably get by bringing a thousand Euros and getting the rest from ATM. DOn't bring USD as they are harder to exchange and on the ship the fees and rates are not so good

Happy planning

I personally believe that bringing more than a few hundred American dollars with you to Europe is silly. If you feel you need some cushion instead of simply getting Euros from the ATM in the airport when you land, and then the ATM's that are everywhere in Europe, bring some Euros with you. It is very easy to raise your daily ATM withdrawal limit for the time you are in Europe.

Between your credit card for large purchases, and ATM machines everywhere, no need to bring vast amounts of cash with you to worry about getting pickpocketed.

Since the widespread adoption of the Euro as the gold standard in Europe (rather the American dollar which was the standard many years ago), traveler's checks have gone the way of the dodo. Do not waste your money buying any of those unless you want to stand in line at the bank while on vacation; no one else will take them unless your cruise ship will, at an appalling exchange rate. If you want to take some with you, make sure that they are Euro traveler's check, not US dollars.

Just my opinion regarding the reality of the Euro as the standard currency in 21st century Europe.

We plan to:

-get some snacks

100-150 Euros per day is doable if you stick with your stated plans and spending limits.

As to the dollars, unless you don't have a bank account with an ATM card, why would you carry that much? The only time you need dollars are in the US (perhaps at the US airports coming and going or for taxis?)--EVERYTHING else will be handled with Euros (or whatever local currency) during your trip abroad. I would think $100 would be enough.

What you really should do is try to get and bring some Euros before you depart the US. We got about 1,000 Euros at our local bank. This is so you can pay for things at the airport or transfers right when you arrive, without having to waste time or worry about finding an ATM immediately upon arrival.

We spend less than 100 Euro a day between 2 of us on our Med cruise last year, so it is possible.

Try and research public transport as much as possible before you go, we used trains, buses and ferries a lot. We actually found this much more enjoyable than organised tours.

Eat and drink at places down smaller side streers rather than on a main square, in larger towns like Venice and Rome - and watch our for hidden cover charges in the menu small print.

It's not impossible to do it on the budget you propose. I'd probably estimate in the higher end of your range, e.g., 150 euro per day, especially if you do intend to eat in proper restaurants, use some private tours, and include souvenirs in your cost.

In Egypt, if you can arrange to share in a private tour vs. the ship's tour, you will save substantially.

I suggest you get a Capital One credit card (the only card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee on purchases made outside the US) before you go and use it for any purchases you can -- this is your BEST rate of exchange with no fees.

As to bringing cash, I agree with those who suggest not bringing a huge stash of cash with you. ATMs are just as plentiful in Europe as in the US. Whatever method you use to exchange dollars to euros has pluses and minuses; most American banks do NOT give a good rate of exchange. If you do a little searching on this board, you'll find many discussions of this.

I personally believe that bringing more than a few hundred American dollars with you to Europe is silly. If you feel you need some cushion instead of simply getting Euros from the ATM in the airport when you land, and then the ATM's that are everywhere in Europe, bring some Euros with you. It is very easy to raise your daily ATM withdrawal limit for the time you are in Europe.

Between your credit card for large purchases, and ATM machines everywhere, no need to bring vast amounts of cash with you to worry about getting pickpocketed.

Since the widespread adoption of the Euro as the gold standard in Europe (rather the American dollar which was the standard many years ago), traveler's checks have gone the way of the dodo. Do not waste your money buying any of those unless you want to stand in line at the bank while on vacation; no one else will take them unless your cruise ship will, at an appalling exchange rate. If you want to take some with you, make sure that they are Euro traveler's check, not US dollars.

Just my opinion regarding the reality of the Euro as the standard currency in 21st century Europe.

Only true if you don't need say 1000 euros for every port as I did to pay for private tours for two vehicles. ATMs don't allow that and I even if your local bank will allow that kind of withdraw limit the local ATMs have their own limits on withdraw. Also when on tour the last thing one wants to do is go looking for an ATM on a busy port day.

Best to think thru and plan so you aren't desperatly looking for an ATM mid-cruise in Rome on a packed day.. ;)

Only true if you don't need say 1000 euros for every port as I did to pay for private tours for two vehicles. ATMs don't allow that and I even if your local bank will allow that kind of withdraw limit the local ATMs have their own limits on withdraw. Also when on tour the last thing one wants to do is go looking for an ATM on a busy port day.

Best to think thru and plan so you aren't desperatly looking for an ATM mid-cruise in Rome on a packed day.. ;)

Hi, chipmaster, I definitely want to travel with you for the daily free private tours!:D

However, if you are on a private tour, I really do not think you ever will have to spend any time searching for an ATM; those private drivers/guides will be more than happy to hook you up with some good ones!:) Also, those daily limits on withdrawal are per card, not per account. Of course, easy for me to say because my local bank charges me no fees for foreign ATM use, so spouse and I just each bring our cards (so easily can get at least 500 Euros from one machine visit.)

Yippee! just found 42 Euros and that will get us started in Madrid the first day. I have never had to leave the airport to get Euros even have the letters ATM on them:D Need only enough money for the bathroom ladies! Then hit the ATM. Also find that immediate needs in the airports of Europe (specially the biggies that bring in American flights) they will take almost any money printed on earth. Very accomodating.

Do call all credit card companies and tell them where you are going and when. Do ask what the fees and rates are for ATM withdrawals and know which one of your accounts to use as primary and which to use as backup. Debit card make sure you transfer money to the account (we have some debit cards we only use for travel and have little money in that account). Go on-line and find out where your card will work -- the banking system is on back of card and you can google it. Maps show you where the money is.

I scan my credit cards back and front and park it on my email. Especially important is the number to call from outside USA if card is lost. 800 numbers DO NOT WORK outside of USA/Canada. I leave this information with trusted family member who promises to notify card companies if I give a call. Also consider a temporary limit raise -- airline tickets, bond:o,or "catching up to the ship" and other mishaps can take up your credit limit real fast.

Unfortunately Europe is expensive. I have been known to post "whatever you think you will need - double it " and I stand by that.

We always bring $1000.00 in travellers checks and put them in our cabin safe. They are really meant for EMERGENCIES and I try to bring them home and use them to pay our seapass (onboard) account. But on both our Med cruises we spent some of it ! Not all - but some.

We brought $2000. cash on our last trip. As well as Gold and Platinum American Express, a Mastercard and a Visa. Ah yes....and our debit card which is also a Mastercard.

I know - I know, this sound extreme. But from meals in airports, taxis/transportation before getting on the ship (to hotel, to ship, back to hotel and then to airport in our case) meals at little cafes that don't take credit cards, bottled water, souveniers (when credit card wasnt used), tips, entry fees into sights, guides and tour costs (sometimes in cash) ferry/tram/metro fees, ...... well you get my point.

I would much rather take too much than not enough.

If you are careful....you can do it on less..... but my advice is to have an "emergency stash" :D

I do not get it. Why would you bring $2000 cash. You do know that there are ATMs all over Europe. Also - you pay your onboard account w Travelers Checks!! On a scale of 1 - 10, that has a dumbness value of 11.

DON

I do not get it. Why would you bring $2000 cash. You do know that there are ATMs all over Europe. Also - you pay your onboard account w Travelers Checks!! On a scale of 1 - 10, that has a dumbness value of 11.

DON

Try reading my post again. I DO NOT pay my seapass account with travelers checks. We always put our seapass on our American Express and then I bring the checks home and use them to pay the American Express. I havent paid for airfare in years by using my AE for as many purchases as I can (gas, groceries etc) Not so dumb !

The checks are for emergencies only. Try getting a Turkish hospital to take a credit card if you get sick....... etc etc. American Express travelers checks can be exchanged for cash at ANY AE office anywhere in the world. I have only been on 5 cruises but I have travelled ALOT.

As for the amount of cash..... I guess we are big spenders..... or prefer to not spend any of our precious time searching for ATM's (did use one this last trip in Istanbul for Turkish Lira) and did not incur a single ATM fee. We used ATM's our first trip over and found it to be a hassle - and dh didnt like the fees. We do use our AE for meals ashore and for shopping (unless small shop in which case cash is needed)

And as far as your remark about dumbness value....that was totally uncalled for.

Different people can have different ideas of "reasonable." Your idea of a small souvenior could very will be my idea of an extravagent one ;).

From what you discribe as your DIY plan you can likely get by on the budget you proposed. Some places like Italy are very expensive and run a bit higher. From personal experience in many of our ports we managed Private tours for < 150 Euros a day, so don't discount private with tour share.

I brought most of my Euros with me as I was paying for private tour for 11 in most ports. For smaller outlays and DIY you can probably get by bringing a thousand Euros and getting the rest from ATM. DOn't bring USD as they are harder to exchange and on the ship the fees and rates are not so good

Happy planning

I would disagree with not taking some USD with you, especially if your ships on Board currency is the USD. I say this since if you want to tip any individuals on board you would want to do it in the same currecny that is used on board. Why would you want to make the person that you are giving the extra to to have to try to convert it?

DON

That's kinda harsh! The amount of cash one needs to bring depends on what city you are flying into, the time of day, availability of ATMs, the amount of your first transfer, and how conservative you are. I also think that $2,000 is way too much cash (especially since it's US dollars). On our recent month in Europe, we left with $300 and came home with $280. That's right, we used $20--mostly for tipping room service which I could have just as easily used Euros but sometimes I ran out of small denomination Euros so I used my small dollars! :)

Anyhow, I don't think you needed to be insulting.

I would disagree with not taking some USD with you, especially if your ships on Board currency is the USD. I say this since if you want to tip any individuals on board you would want to do it in the same currecny that is used on board. Why would you want to make the person that you are giving the extra to to have to try to convert it?

I actually would disagree with this based on my conversations with crew. They (at least ones I spoke with) prefer whatever currency is used on land, as that's where they generally would be spending it. Hence, I try to tip in euro in Europe. It's a lot more complicated in the Baltics!

I actually would disagree with this based on my conversations with crew. They (at least ones I spoke with) prefer whatever currency is used on land, as that's where they generally would be spending it. Hence, I try to tip in euro in Europe. It's a lot more complicated in the Baltics!

Wow, is it ever. I took a land trip with my sister three years ago: St. Petersburg, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen and Stockholm. I almost went bonkers trying to decide each day or two how much cash to withdraw from the ATM's for that country's currency! (At least in Helsinki, I knew that Euros would be useful in the future.)

Thanks for the informative replies!!

We will use the ATM's but don't want to get bogged down by trying to hunt around for them-- this will be my husband's job as I do not have an ATM pin (forgot it long ago) and have used him for an ATM since then. Here in my daily life, it's always on the AMEX. (Like Texancruzer, we are benefiting from rewards points-- flying business with the AMEX rewards points accumulated by doing all purchases with AMEX)

My DH, who has never travelled in Europe did not believe me when I projected the possibility of spending up to $200 euro per day for expenses, so it was good to read some of you agreed that Europe was very expensive.:D

All of your replies give us alot to think about...

Excluding private tours, I would probably say 150 euros a day is reasonable. But then again, "Reasonable" is an individual term. Can it be done on 100 euros, or even 75? I'm sure it can. However, we've found that the euros tend to add up a lot quicker than you think.:)

As far as bringing U.S. dollars, I believe I brought around $250 with me. But that was to handle baggage handling at Newark Liberty airport, and in case we needed tranportation from the airport on our return to the U.S..

The primary reason we used ATM's was to pay for private tours & small purchases. We tried to put everything over 20 euros on our Capital One C.C. (Best tranaction fees, as previously indicated byCruisemmom42).

Our ATM account was with Commerce Bank (Now TD Bank), here in NJ. We each had our own cards against the same account. That allowed us to withdraw up to 700 euros each on the same day. Unsure if this was particular to Commerce bank, but it worked out great, giving us up to 1,400 euros on a given day. Sounds like a lot, but with private tours on back to back days, it can go pretty quickly.:eek: We were not able to get fellow passangers to share the tour expenses. Although expensive, private tours along the Amalfi Coast & some villages outside of Nice were well worth it. IMHO

Note: I was told that one's withdrawl limit is on a 24-hr clock. By this, if you withdrew your limit at 3pm on Monday, you could not make another withdrawl until after 3pm on Tuesday. I never tested this out, but made our withdrawls accordingly, just to play it safe.

Here are a couple of websites, that might be of interest to you.

Although we never had a problem locating ATM, this site might be helpful regarding VISA:

http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/jsp/SearchPage.jsp

I'm sure there is probably one for MasterCard.

This site will provide information regarding C.C & ATM foreign exchange fees for a number of financial institutions:

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

Stay well,

Anthony

I am also a newbie cruiser and my husband and I have been wondering about this as well. We were planning on doing mostly the ATM thing and withdrawing in euros as needed but then we saw Rick Steves article on CNN a couple of weeks ago talking about high ATM fees and risky ATM machines.

Now we're thinking about converting our usd to eur here in the US (the local AMEX branch offers a good rate) and bringing that. We would keep most of it in the ship safe and just take what we need each day. My only concern is what we would do with the money during our 2 pre cruise days in Rome.

If we are not paying for private tours, just transit, food, entry fees and light shopping, how much should be plan for Athens, Myknos, Rhodes and Corfu days? I was also thinking 150eu for the both of us per day? Maybe 200 in Athens b/c there of entry fees.

Thanks for the informative replies!!

We will use the ATM's but don't want to get bogged down by trying to hunt around for them-- this will be my husband's job as I do not have an ATM pin (forgot it long ago) and have used him for an ATM since then. Here in my daily life, it's always on the AMEX. (Like Texancruzer, we are benefiting from rewards points-- flying business with the AMEX rewards points accumulated by doing all purchases with AMEX)

My DH, who has never travelled in Europe did not believe me when I projected the possibility of spending up to $200 euro per day for expenses, so it was good to read some of you agreed that Europe was very expensive.:D

All of your replies give us alot to think about...

As you probably already know, you should leave that Amex at home as very few places overseas will accept it. Like many others, I got and used a Capital One Visa just for our trip.

I am also a newbie cruiser and my husband and I have been wondering about this as well. We were planning on doing mostly the ATM thing and withdrawing in euros as needed but then we saw Rick Steves article on CNN a couple of weeks ago talking about high ATM fees and risky ATM machines.

Now we're thinking about converting our usd to eur here in the US (the local AMEX branch offers a good rate) and bringing that. We would keep most of it in the ship safe and just take what we need each day. My only concern is what we would do with the money during our 2 pre cruise days in Rome.

If we are not paying for private tours, just transit, food, entry fees and light shopping, how much should be plan for Athens, Myknos, Rhodes and Corfu days? I was also thinking 150eu for the both of us per day? Maybe 200 in Athens b/c there of entry fees.

If you stick with major bank ATMs, you should be fine--just avoid the no-name machines in corner stores, etc. While getting and carrying all your Euros is an option, I'd personally be uncomfortable carrying thousands of Euros on my person. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by a "good rate" as most bank conversions here are probably worse than the bank-to-bank ATM exchange rate so I'd think that'd be a wash.

Nevertheless, if you elect to bring all your Euros with you, you could stash it in the hotel safe pre-cruise. Of course you will probably stress over carrying and protecting all that cash in the days before you can get it into that safe. Remember, it probably won't all fit into a money belt or pocket so you will be carrying some or all of it in a bag--increasing the risk of theft. I'd personally recommend just using ATMs as needed.

Your budget looks pretty good, as to where to store your Euros, the hotel safe is where I always stored mine. Never had a problem in any hotel despite a recent post warning about safe theft.

As to risky ATMs, as long as you use "bank" atms and not the private ATMs that one can find everywhere from convenience stores to random street corners you'll likely be safe. Another reason to avoid these is they generally charge more usage fees also!

I'm currently putting together rudimentary budgets for our days in some of the same ports you mention. Here is what I have so far (based on 2009 prices) for Athens, which is the more expensive day:

Athens:

Get off ship around 7am. Walk to metro (electric train); purchase all-day ticket for metro: 3 euro per person

Take metro (Green line) to Omonia station, transfer to Red line. Exit at Akropoli station

Head toward Hadrian's arch and the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Purchase combo ticket good for most sites on the "antiquities promenade": 12 euro per person

See the Temple (opens 8am); then head toward Acropolis entrance. The new Acropolis museum is located very close. If time permits, pop in for a quick look (admission 1 euro per person through 2009)

Enter/walk up acropolis hill (included in your combo ticket) and view the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, the Propylaia, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus, and the Theater of Dionysus. (Get Frommer’s “Athens Past and Present” book and Peter Connolly’s “The Ancient City” before your trip to get oriented.) If you prefer a guide, you can usually pick one up here -- not sure of cost.

Head down the other side of the acropolis and visit the ancient Greek agora and Roman forum (included in combo ticket) on the way to Monastiraki metro station.

(If you wish to explore the Plaka, it is right here....good spot for lunch or just a quick "pick-me-up")

Hop on the Green line train to Viktoria stop for the Athens Archeological museum. Enroute to the museum (a few minutes walk from the metro) you will see lots of cafes for lunch.

Enter the museum (7 euro per person) and wander in air-conditioned comfort until it's time to head back to the ship. Don't miss the bronze Poseidon, the treasure of Troy, and finds from Akrotiri.

Head back to Monastiraki metro stop and take Green line back to Piraeus. Walk back to ship or, if really tired, haggle for a taxi ride.

--------------------

Even if you spend an additional 20 euro on taxi fare (which I'm considering in the morning to get us to the Acropolis more quickly) and 30 euro on lunch/refreshments, the total amount above for 2 people comes to about 100 euro. That's without any souvenirs or shopping. I generally don't include those in my "daily" budget as I have a separate amount I set aside for shopping.

If you find this helpful, I could post it for Corfu and Rhodes too -- although I have to admit that I'm not really planning to do much in Corfu (not a beach person at all....) and we may just go for a quick walk around the old town.

I'm currently putting together rudimentary budgets for our days in some of the same ports you mention. Here is what I have so far (based on 2009 prices) for Athens, which is the more expensive day:

Athens:

Get off ship around 7am. Walk to metro (electric train); purchase all-day ticket for metro: 3 euro per person

Take metro (Green line) to Omonia station, transfer to Red line. Exit at Akropoli station

Head toward Hadrian's arch and the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Purchase combo ticket good for most sites on the "antiquities promenade": 12 euro per person

See the Temple (opens 8am); then head toward Acropolis entrance. The new Acropolis museum is located very close. If time permits, pop in for a quick look (admission 1 euro per person through 2009)

Enter/walk up acropolis hill (included in your combo ticket) and view the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, the Propylaia, the Odeion of Herodes Atticus, and the Theater of Dionysus. (Get Frommer’s “Athens Past and Present” book and Peter Connolly’s “The Ancient City” before your trip to get oriented.) If you prefer a guide, you can usually pick one up here -- not sure of cost.

Head down the other side of the acropolis and visit the ancient Greek agora and Roman forum (included in combo ticket) on the way to Monastiraki metro station.

(If you wish to explore the Plaka, it is right here....good spot for lunch or just a quick "pick-me-up")

Hop on the Green line train to Viktoria stop for the Athens Archeological museum. Enroute to the museum (a few minutes walk from the metro) you will see lots of cafes for lunch.

Enter the museum (7 euro per person) and wander in air-conditioned comfort until it's time to head back to the ship. Don't miss the bronze Poseidon, the treasure of Troy, and finds from Akrotiri.

Head back to Monastiraki metro stop and take Green line back to Piraeus. Walk back to ship or, if really tired, haggle for a taxi ride.

--------------------

Even if you spend an additional 20 euro on taxi fare (which I'm considering in the morning to get us to the Acropolis more quickly) and 30 euro on lunch/refreshments, the total amount above for 2 people comes to about 100 euro. That's without any souvenirs or shopping. I generally don't include those in my "daily" budget as I have a separate amount I set aside for shopping.

If you find this helpful, I could post it for Corfu and Rhodes too -- although I have to admit that I'm not really planning to do much in Corfu (not a beach person at all....) and we may just go for a quick walk around the old town.

Great itinerary, Cynthia. Your really have paid very careful attention to the recommendations provided in the posts on this forum.

BTW, the cafe at the National Archaelogical Museum has pretty decent food and a nice little garden if you want to save some time.

Great itinerary, Cynthia. Your really have paid very careful attention to the recommendations provided in the posts on this forum.

BTW, the cafe at the National Archaelogical Museum has pretty decent food and a nice little garden if you want to save some time.

Thanks.....can you believe some have the nerve to accuse me of overplanning?? :D:D

Good to know about the cafe if we are pressed for time. I have to say museum cafes are generally better than one might expect. I've enjoyed eating in the ones in the Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, and Capitoline Museum in Rome among others....

And since you're always mentioning your stash of granola bars, I figure you'd appreciate that I was so eager to get to the Archaeology Museum in Istanbul the day I arrived (it was closed the following day), that I headed over there immediately to get the maximum time. After they shooed me out at closing, I finally realized I was famished and sat down in the courtyard with all the column fragments and sculpture and ate a couple of energy bars!

Archived