Dress Code Poll

uneamie

NCL Casual Dress Code  

254 members have voted

1. 1. NCL Casual Dress Code

I voted "Love it" since I LIKE it

I think it allows everybody to go with their own style BUT I think too many people are pushing the rules and/or just look sloppy even in going in the dining room or surcharge restaurants.

I hope NCL will now stop to allow for even more casual clothes (if they start to allow shorts or t-shirts in the dining room and restaurants, I will likely book another cruiseline since I like to dress up a bit and not feel overdressed).

I think I preferred when jeans were not allowed. It's not that I don't like jeans, I think they can look fine when paired with a button-down shirt for men or nice evening top for women but allowing jeans will probably mean that we will see more and more baggy/torn/old/bad fitting jeans paired with polo shirts for men and tank tops for women. I like a little decorum, to feel that people put some effort in looking good to go to the DR or restaurant.

I voted "Love it" since I LIKE it

I think it allows everybody to go with their own style BUT I think too many people are pushing the rules and/or just look sloppy even in going in the dining room or surcharge restaurants.

I hope NCL will now stop to allow for even more casual clothes (if they start to allow shorts or t-shirts in the dining room and restaurants, I will likely book another cruiseline since I like to dress up a bit and not feel overdressed).

I think I preferred when jeans were not allowed. It's not that I don't like jeans, I think they can look fine when paired with a button-down shirt for men or nice evening top for women but allowing jeans will probably mean that we will see more and more baggy/torn/old/bad fitting jeans paired with polo shirts for men and tank tops for women. I like a little decorum, to feel that people put some effort in looking good to go to the DR or restaurant.

good comments !!

I am on the Star in October going to the Mexican Riviera. It is my first cruise on NCL. I have crusied twice on Crystal and did not love having to take evening gowns (at least 3 for a 2 week cruise). I am a light packer (3 weeks in Europe, on land with a carry on). I agree with Rick Steves there are two kinds of travelers to Europe, those that pack light and those that wish they did.

Just kidding, in reality I love to dress up but am glad it is not mandatory.

I definitely agree with the "Pack Light" mentality. Especially since most carriers imposed the added fees for checked bags like American and United.

This cause me to drastically reduce the amount of clothes that I pack and bring on an average 7 day cruise.

I am glad that the rules are loose enough to allow you dress casual in the restaurants and I also spend almost the entire cruise eating in the "pay per dine" venues.

I also have cruised so often that I've grown tired of the whole "dress-up" thing. I completely understand that there are those out there that enjoy to do this and that is also completely fine with me. They just look a little classier than us when eating out. Fine with me.

I'm happy to wear the comfortable clothes that I packed and not have to worry about where to stuff them on the trip home.

One a side note: I wore a pleated pair of dark blue jeans with a button top to the Asian Pay Restaurant one night and the Maitre' D seated us and continued to stare at us all night long with a look of displeasure due to what we were wearing. Now THAT I believe was extremely rude! Like one poster mentioned, it's not like we were wearing torn, ragged, faded bad fitting jeans. I finally ended up returning his searing glares toward the end of the night and he eventually got the picture that I didn't appreciate his suttle "eye motions." I really don't feel that I have to wear dress slacks, button down shirts and dress shoes every time I frequent the pay restaurants! I don't believe that is NCL's rule but again I've received this "eye treatment" on several NCL cruises in several pay restaurants.

Just sharing my humble opinion and cruise experiences on NCL..

why doesnt' NCL just realize that some people like to Dress up and not see the casual dress of others and make one or both of the side rooms in the MDR as "formal" that way they can be as dressy as they want and not have to look at what the consider the slobs.

BTW if they did this I would be in with the slobs wearing my hawaiian shirt and dockers

One a side note: I wore a pleated pair of dark blue jeans with a button top to the Asian Pay Restaurant one night and the Maitre' D seated us and continued to stare at us all night long with a look of displeasure due to what we were wearing. Now THAT I believe was extremely rude! Like one poster mentioned, it's not like we were wearing torn, ragged, faded bad fitting jeans. I finally ended up returning his searing glares toward the end of the night and he eventually got the picture that I didn't appreciate his suttle "eye motions." I really don't feel that I have to wear dress slacks, button down shirts and dress shoes every time I frequent the pay restaurants! I don't believe that is NCL's rule but again I've received this "eye treatment" on several NCL cruises in several pay restaurants.

Is it possible that people are just admiring how pretty you are, and you're misinterpreting it for condescension? :confused:

It's also possible that he's just doing his job, and "managing the house"...making sure that his staff are attentive and timely.

Maybe it's paranoia that is your issue, not "eye treatment" that you've received not ONCE, but several NCL cruises in several different restaurants.

why doesnt' NCL just realize that some people like to Dress up and not see the casual dress of others and make one or both of the side rooms in the MDR as "formal" that way they can be as dressy as they want and not have to look at what the consider the slobs.

BTW if they did this I would be in with the slobs wearing my hawaiian shirt and dockers

I definitely agree with the "Pack Light" mentality. Especially since most carriers imposed the added fees for checked bags like American and United.

This cause me to drastically reduce the amount of clothes that I pack and bring on an average 7 day cruise.

I am glad that the rules are loose enough to allow you dress casual in the restaurants and I also spend almost the entire cruise eating in the "pay per dine" venues.

I also have cruised so often that I've grown tired of the whole "dress-up" thing. I completely understand that there are those out there that enjoy to do this and that is also completely fine with me. They just look a little classier than us when eating out. Fine with me.

I'm happy to wear the comfortable clothes that I packed and not have to worry about where to stuff them on the trip home.

maybe you have a really HOT spouse?

... I don't believe that is NCL's rule but again I've received this "eye treatment" on several NCL cruises in several pay restaurants.

ROFLMAO! This is the funniest thing I've read in days.. because you are joking, right?

Not sure how to vote. I think NCL needs a better dress policy....and then enforce it. Jeans and shorts should be limited to the buffet. Dress slacks, or dockers, and collared shirt should be casual enough for the dining rooms.

ROFLMAO! This is the funniest thing I've read in days.. because you are joking, right?

Why do you say that? I can't speak for all of us, but many of us who are fantastic looking wish the plain folk would just leave us alone and not eyeball us so much ;)

Not sure how to vote. I think NCL needs a better dress policy....and then enforce it. Jeans and shorts should be limited to the buffet. Dress slacks, or dockers, and collared shirt should be casual enough for the dining rooms.

******WRONG************ Please try again.

I agree, they need a better policy and should enforce it. Anyone who wants to get dressier than jeans or shorts, must eat at the buffet.

The hole in your logic is that people who choose YOUR preferred style of dress should get better service. If you just want them to be alone, so they can enjoy the ambiance, then we could probably shut-off the Blue Lagoon for you, and you could be dressed-up there as much as you want...overlooking the atrium, with art, and music and grand staircases.

The rest of us slobs will just eat at the MDR, where we're fine with whatever anyone else is wearing....because that's THEIR business.

I voted "Don't give a hoot"

I too agree that what ever the dress code is it needs to be enforced. I for one love to dress up .... and do so on the ship. But if I don't feel like dressing up .... then I go to the buffet. Simple

That's why I don't give a hoot. :rolleyes:

OceanDreams

Archived