What do you want to know about Oasis of the Seas AND Turku, Finland?

Carolyn, did you happen to see a Grand Suite? From looking at the deck plans, we can't figure out what is just outside them. Do they open on to the elevators? If you happened to see the Concierge Lounge, the one we have booked is on Deck 11 close to the lounge.

At Cruise Critic's weekly editorial meeting today, I asked staffers: what about Oasis of the Seas' coverage from last week most intrigues you? The answer from 5 out of 7? Cupcakes. Seriously, am I the only person who doesn't get the cupcake craze, LOL? I mean they're nice and all but....

Cupcakes are fun to look at, but I'd rather eat a cookie :).

I get the whole cupcake thing. First of all, as mentioned previously, we don't feel as guilty eating one as we do a piece of cake, on the incorrect notion that it is not as fattening. Yes, a donut is the same idea, but it doesn't have gobs of yummy icing and sometimes cute little decorations on it. It's easier to eat than cake, you don't need a fork. These days, they come in all sorts of interesting flavors (carrot cake? red velvet?). It also reminds me of my childhood when we used to have actual birthday parties in the house with a cupcake for each child. So it's comfort food, too.

Now back to your regularly scheduled ship discussion.....

Carolyn, I know you did not see the finished product but from what you saw what is your opinion? Are we all going to be in awe of this ship or is all the hype going to lead to disappointment? I am sooo excited and would love to here what you think overall. Thank you for all the work you have done in preparing us for Oasis. You told me to ask again so I have. I have really appreciated your candor in answering all these questions. Again, thank you.

Just put up a cool new video showing the view passengers will have from a Central Park Balcony cabin:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1002

Gosh Dan: It looks like it may be a real challenge to finish before November, any news on that? I can't imagine, with the unfinished spaces, that they will finish on time. And earlier in the year they were saying she'd be early!:rolleyes:

I'd definitely say you should reserve for Oasis of Dreams and also, if you're interested in Hairspray....

One of the things Raimund said to me is that as the ship gets a handle on demand it can adjust -- add performances of shows that are super popular, etc....

I think, from what I've seen, something like "Oasis of Dreams" is a show you could watch a few times and not get bored with it -- whereas "Hairspray" would be a one time show. But who knows? No one really will until we see 'em.

Carolyn

Does that mean that on the first night there is a standard welcome aboard show being held or is this the captains welcome aboard party on the second night? Also does this mean that we need to watch out for these two shows when we reserve our nightly shows?

Actually the ship IS early -- it's already added a new sailing because of that.

But this is the message we were told often: the hard stuff, the time consuming stuff, is building and installing the systems that make a cruise ship physically work. The cosmetic stuff just doesn't take so long. So I don't foresee any kind of serious last minute challenges. Also, remember this too -- if Oasis is delivered as expected on October 30, it has a good two, three weeks to get polished before it even starts to be shown off....

Carolyn

Gosh Dan: It looks like it may be a real challenge to finish before November, any news on that? I can't imagine, with the unfinished spaces, that they will finish on time. And earlier in the year they were saying she'd be early!:rolleyes:

Great question! My sense is that there's still plenty of time to tweak onboard stuff on Allure; right now it's just building blocks. But I think that RCI won't have a great handle on how everything will really work (in terms of soft stuff, crowd control, which restaurants will be most popular, etc.) until it see Oasis in action. So I'd suspect that after the new year the architects and such will have a better idea if they need to tweak Allure.

Remember too that (if I recall correctly) when Voyager, and then Freedom, came out, there wasn't a whole lot of tweaking to the later members of each ship class. There were some, ultimately (more with Voyager, the adding of the extra restaurant, the way the balconies were built) and I don't remember anything significant at all changing on Freedom class ships -- does anyone remember? I do recall that when Liberty of the Seas came out the line was so desperate for something different to point out that I believe it was all about teakettles in cabins (the ship sailed out of England a lot). That's it!

So RCI has a pretty good track record with getting it right the first time....

Carolyn

Was anything said in Turku about revisions or changes to Allure based on progress with Oasis? Thanks for all the other info - this has been a great thread!

Great question! My sense is that there's still plenty of time to tweak onboard stuff on Allure; right now it's just building blocks. But I think that RCI won't have a great handle on how everything will really work (in terms of soft stuff, crowd control, which restaurants will be most popular, etc.) until it see Oasis in action. So I'd suspect that after the new year the architects and such will have a better idea if they need to tweak Allure.

Remember too that (if I recall correctly) when Voyager, and then Freedom, came out, there wasn't a whole lot of tweaking to the later members of each ship class. There were some, ultimately (more with Voyager, the adding of the extra restaurant, the way the balconies were built) and I don't remember anything significant at all changing on Freedom class ships -- does anyone remember? I do recall that when Liberty of the Seas came out the line was so desperate for something different to point out that I believe it was all about teakettles in cabins (the ship sailed out of England a lot). That's it!

So RCI has a pretty good track record with getting it right the first time....

Carolyn

The teakettles were Independence. Believe it or not the Liberty was even worse, her unique feature was penguins above the bridge, lol.

Thanks mariefisher, for asking this today!

Full disclosure: If I have a choice in the type of cruise I like best -- this is personally, not in the course of doing my job -- it's a smaller ship with a good spa, good food, and great itineraries. So the fact that my husband and I are actually taking a VACATION on Oasis, the biggest ship ever built, holding some 6,000 pax, and cruising to the same islands I've been to 1,000 times, says that this ship is pretty darn special!

I came away with a couple of things. One is that for all that the ship's being hyped as the biggest ever, it doesn't feel that big. That's because the girth is more about going wide and tall rather than long and narrow. I love the Royal Promenade, that it gets sunlight and it's more like a real street than a cruise ship "street". The Boardwalk just thrums with color and activity -- even in a construction phase! -- and it's a family magnet. I like the addition, new for Royal Caribbean, of the adult only area. And Central Park for me is the favorite -- I'm a garden kind of girl and one thing about ships I don't like is that it's such a man-made atmosphere; now we'll have some flora and fauna and peace and quiet.

And the ship is really beautiful. It's not a neon palace but a really pretty vessel with rooms that appeal to a range of tastes. Schooner Bar looked comfortably the same and so did the pub but I loved the New York subway theme of the comedy club, really fresh.

What I'm less enamored of at this point is the restaurants. Portofino's is the best alternative restaurant Royal Caribbean has and it's being replaced with an Olive Garden-style place? Disappointing. And the 150 Central Park -- I don't get a sense that the line really knows what it wants to do with its so-called "best" restaurant and the $35 service charge -- highest in cruising -- seems excessive to me.

I'm excited about the solarium but it just wasn't far enough along to really give a sense. The pool areas look like fun. I like the way there are so many outdoor spaces (cruise ships ironically, aside from sundecks, don't offer many chances to actually be outside). And I think the entertainment is going to be superb. While I think that for me the Aqua Theater concept is something I'll need to see before I really get it, there's so much variety.

Enough about me. I'd really like to know, now that we've gone through this shipyard experience together, what you all think. I know we did a poll asking what people are intrigued most about the ship (thread is in all Oasis forum) but I wonder this: After seeing photos and participating in the blog, have you changed your mind? Do you have a new favorite thing about Oasis?

Carolyn

Carolyn, I know you did not see the finished product but from what you saw what is your opinion? Are we all going to be in awe of this ship or is all the hype going to lead to disappointment? I am sooo excited and would love to here what you think overall. Thank you for all the work you have done in preparing us for Oasis. You told me to ask again so I have. I have really appreciated your candor in answering all these questions. Again, thank you.

One last thing. With all the talk about stuff onboard, it's really important not to forget Royal Caribbean's crew. When I cruised on Indy in April (my first Freedom class ship), I expected "big ship" service which I define as sometimes good, sometimes mediocre, sometimes personal, sometimes...not.

And the service on Indy blew me away. There was some mediocre but so much superb that I was just...enthralled.

I think the crew will continue to make the experience a special one, no matter how many bells, whistles, and light and music shows exist onboard!

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Has anyone from RCL considered how all the guests are going to clear Immigration in St Thomas or back in FLL? In the past, it has taken quite a while to get everyone thru, and on much smaller ships. Do they have some new way of doing this.

One last thing. With all the talk about stuff onboard, it's really important not to forget Royal Caribbean's crew. When I cruised on Indy in April (my first Freedom class ship), I expected "big ship" service which I define as sometimes good, sometimes mediocre, sometimes personal, sometimes...not.

And the service on Indy blew me away. There was some mediocre but so much superb that I was just...enthralled.

I think the crew will continue to make the experience a special one, no matter how many bells, whistles, and light and music shows exist onboard!

Carolyn

I totally agree with you on this one. Whilst the entertainment may not have been the best in certain areas on the indy - the staff were absolutely top notch! Hector (entertainment), Chari (Pub) and Marvin (Schooner Bar) were absolutely outstanding. I think Hector said he has signed up for the Oasis so will no doubt bump into him again - he will think we are stalking him as we have seen him on Liberty & Indy!!

Thanks mariefisher, for asking this today!

Full disclosure: If I have a choice in the type of cruise I like best -- this is personally, not in the course of doing my job -- it's a smaller ship with a good spa, good food, and great itineraries. So the fact that my husband and I are actually taking a VACATION on Oasis, the biggest ship ever built, holding some 6,000 pax, and cruising to the same islands I've been to 1,000 times, says that this ship is pretty darn special!

I came away with a couple of things. One is that for all that the ship's being hyped as the biggest ever, it doesn't feel that big. That's because the girth is more about going wide and tall rather than long and narrow. I love the Royal Promenade, that it gets sunlight and it's more like a real street than a cruise ship "street". The Boardwalk just thrums with color and activity -- even in a construction phase! -- and it's a family magnet. I like the addition, new for Royal Caribbean, of the adult only area. And Central Park for me is the favorite -- I'm a garden kind of girl and one thing about ships I don't like is that it's such a man-made atmosphere; now we'll have some flora and fauna and peace and quiet.

And the ship is really beautiful. It's not a neon palace but a really pretty vessel with rooms that appeal to a range of tastes. Schooner Bar looked comfortably the same and so did the pub but I loved the New York subway theme of the comedy club, really fresh.

What I'm less enamored of at this point is the restaurants. Portofino's is the best alternative restaurant Royal Caribbean has and it's being replaced with an Olive Garden-style place? Disappointing. And the 150 Central Park -- I don't get a sense that the line really knows what it wants to do with its so-called "best" restaurant and the $35 service charge -- highest in cruising -- seems excessive to me.

I'm excited about the solarium but it just wasn't far enough along to really give a sense. The pool areas look like fun. I like the way there are so many outdoor spaces (cruise ships ironically, aside from sundecks, don't offer many chances to actually be outside). And I think the entertainment is going to be superb. While I think that for me the Aqua Theater concept is something I'll need to see before I really get it, there's so much variety.

Enough about me. I'd really like to know, now that we've gone through this shipyard experience together, what you all think. I know we did a poll asking what people are intrigued most about the ship (thread is in all Oasis forum) but I wonder this: After seeing photos and participating in the blog, have you changed your mind? Do you have a new favorite thing about Oasis?

Carolyn

It's funny that you mentioned the ship not feeling "that big". I thought the same thing about Liberty.

While I remain a little apprehensive about the size of Oasis, I repeatedly remind myself about my same apprehension when booking our Liberty cruise. I was very concerned about it being the largest cruise ship afloat. I wondered if our family would enjoy it. Would a ship that size be too big and impersonal? Would the service be marginal with that many passengers on board? What I found was just the opposite. The ship felt quite homey. It was easy to get around. We never once got lost (used to get turned around daily on Disney Magic) and the service really made our vacation special. It makes me wonder how many of the same negative comments and concerns were said about Freedom OTS when it was being built (too big, too many specialty restaurants, not enough deck chairs, etc.). Yet the Freedom class ships seem to be quite successful with many repeat cruisers.

The unknown and untested can often be a little scary, but sometimes you've got to be adventurous, get out there, and say why not give it a try? I had a great time this year on the biggest cruise ship afloat, and I look forward to having a great time again next year, on the biggest cruise ship ever.

Thank you so much Carolyn for all the time you and your husband spent posting information, photos and videos, and sharing your thoughts. I have really enjoyed your blog.

HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL! :)

It's funny that you mentioned the ship not feeling "that big". I thought the same thing about Liberty.

While I remain a little apprehensive about the size of Oasis, I repeatedly remind myself about my same apprehension when booking our Liberty cruise. I was very concerned about it being the largest cruise ship afloat. I wondered if our family would enjoy it. Would a ship that size be too big and impersonal? Would the service be marginal with that many passengers on board? What I found was just the opposite. The ship felt quite homey. It was easy to get around. We never once got lost (used to get turned around daily on Disney Magic) and the service really made our vacation special. It makes me wonder how many of the same negative comments and concerns were said about Freedom OTS when it was being built (too big, too many specialty restaurants, not enough deck chairs, etc.). Yet the Freedom class ships seem to be quite successful with many repeat cruisers.

The unknown and untested can often be a little scary, but sometimes you've got to be adventurous, get out there, and say why not give it a try? I had a great time this year on the biggest cruise ship afloat, and I look forward to having a great time again next year, on the biggest cruise ship ever.

Thank you so much Carolyn for all the time you and your husband spent posting information, photos and videos, and sharing your thoughts. I have really enjoyed your blog.

HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL! :)

It's amazing how the basic "H" structure (two atriums connected in the middle by the promenade) can make such a big difference in how you get around. It just makes everything so easy to find and fast. All you need to know is the deck and if it's front or back, from their it's just a matter of using the atrium and possibly crossing the promenade. People always seem to question why Carnival isn't making ships the size of Voyager and larger and the reason is that with the way they lay out their ships they can build them half the size and make them feel four times as big to the people on board.

The Disney Magic was our first cruise and I never figured that ship out. Always got lost and needed my map because of all the windy "Disney Style" hallways. Carnival I also needed my map but got a handle on things by the end. With RCCL I've only needed a map to start my Empress cruise, all the voyager and larger are just so simple that I never touched a map.

:cool:Hi Carolyn...

Thank you very much for the great intro to the Oasis. We are booked on the February 27, 2010 in a Park Avenue balcony cabin. My question is, will these balconies have furniture on them or is there room for chairs?

Thanks again for the great reporting.

Denny

I loved the New York subway theme of the comedy club, really fresh.

Good heavens, I hope it's not as hot and crowded as the real New York Subway, and we don't need a subway map to find it!

That is definitely one of my concerns. I like getting the feel of a ship when I get onboard; usually I board early, grab lunch and they explore top to bottom. I get a kick out of knowing where I am going while DH wanders around lost all week! I just hope I can get a handle on this. I'm on Deck 10 so I figure first I'll figure out what is up and what is down and then deal.

My biggest anticipation is also my biggest concern--the entertainment. While I am blown away at all the options--considering what these things would cost while NOT cruising, it's a fabulous deal. I saw Hairspray on Broadway, and the movie and am really interested in seeing it on the ship--I love the music and storyline and am intrigued on how RC will pull it off. BUT--there's so much to do--as you mentioned, we can reserve 3 theatre shows, 1 Aquatheater show, Comedy Club, and an ice show. That alone is 6 nights....but then there's all the other stuff! It's a bit intimidating that I am going to pre-reserve all this stuff because who-knows-what I might end up with timewise otherwise, and then find out there is something I'd rather be doing at that time. Wish I could have afforded a back-to-back.....

It's amazing how the basic "H" structure (two atriums connected in the middle by the promenade) can make such a big difference in how you get around. It just makes everything so easy to find and fast. All you need to know is the deck and if it's front or back, from their it's just a matter of using the atrium and possibly crossing the promenade. People always seem to question why Carnival isn't making ships the size of Voyager and larger and the reason is that with the way they lay out their ships they can build them half the size and make them feel four times as big to the people on board.

The Disney Magic was our first cruise and I never figured that ship out. Always got lost and needed my map because of all the windy "Disney Style" hallways. Carnival I also needed my map but got a handle on things by the end. With RCCL I've only needed a map to start my Empress cruise, all the voyager and larger are just so simple that I never touched a map.

You are so right!

All I ever needed to know on Liberty was forward or aft and what deck. So it's the "H-structure". I knew it was the layout that made the difference, but I didn't know what it was about the layout that was so easy to navigate.

Thank you for the your wonderful preview of the Oasis. It has given me my daily fix. Could you tell if the Royal Promenade is as long as the one on LOS? I know it is wider just wondered if it is longer. Thanks again.

Also info on immigration in St Thomas. While on Princess this year the immigration process was discontinued.

Carolyn: It was fabulous! Again, I am most excited about Aqua Theater because I love synchronized swimming and diving and love the Cirque shows in Vegas featuring water...I guess I'm just a mermaid at heart:D I love to be in it, around it and hearing it! And the Solarium, my fave place on any ship. My first experience in Solarium was on Rhapsody and maybe still is my favorite ship's adult only area. It was enclosed by the glass which kept the wind from disturbing us which can be a problem on other classes with no glass above. Because of the enclosed atmosphere they were able to pipe in bird song along with soft new age music and it was this that I found fascinating about the Rhapsody solarium. I know there will be some glass in the new Solarium on Oasis, but will it let in too much wind? And I also wanted to ask if the pools there are larger than what they appear to be to me in all the renderings. They seem like large jacuzzi's and I like the pools on Liberty and Voyager. They seem larger. Can you comment on this.

Portofino's is the best alternative restaurant Royal Caribbean has and it's being replaced with an Olive Garden-style place? Disappointing. Carolyn

Sorry off topic but is this throughout the rest of the line?

Terrific question. Short answer: I don't know. But I will investigate. Won't post on this thread -- but will do best to check out soon.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

Has anyone from RCL considered how all the guests are going to clear Immigration in St Thomas or back in FLL? In the past, it has taken quite a while to get everyone thru, and on much smaller ships. Do they have some new way of doing this.

Archived