What do you want to know about Oasis of the Seas AND Turku, Finland?

I love the way that the balconies are curved for both boardwalk and central park cabins -- it gives more space on the balcony and is just nice to look at from outside.

Note that the balconies on the outside of the ship are the same as always....

oasis-boardwalk-balcony-view-boards-1.jpg

oasis-boardwalk-balcony-view-boards-2.jpg

Check out this cabin -- it's a standard balcony stateroom that clearly isn't quite ready for prime time! This is definitely not the way it will look when you embark for the first time and open your cabin door!

Definitely needs a few final decorative touches.

One thing I didn't touch much on is the fact that Royal Caribbean, which along with Costa Cruises is one of the most interesting cruise lines to expand globally, had invited media from all over the world. The folks on the balcony were shooting a television program for China.

oasis-of-the-seas-cabin-undressed.jpg

Raimund Gschaider, Oasis of the Seas' hotel director, was our -- meaning Cruise Critic's -- hero on Friday. He was one of the cruise line executives assigned to our group on Friday and, poor man, in the midst of us being rushed out of staterooms to head up to the bridge, made the mistake of asking "if there's anything you'd like to see...."

He hadn't even finished the sentence before I was breathing the words "AquaTheater suite," LOL. It wasn't on the tour, but he graciously hiked us all the way down to the other end of the ship to show it to us (photo in next post). Then he showed us the observation balcony that's open to all passengers that's below or above, now I've forgotten which (and that photo is in an earlier post).

He's a really interesting guy and we have some video of him -- I'll find that shortly. He also had some interesting things to say about the ship's crew -- and I'll post that soon, too.

Fridays-hero.jpg

Are the railings on these rooms higher than oceanview:confused:

I hadn't noticed but if you look across the way at the railings they look to be about 2/3 the height of the doors. I'm not positive but I think normal railings are only about half the height of the door. I don't know, I'm guestimating.

Here are a couple of stragglers from our AquaTheater "photo shoot." One shows the balcony. The other shows the interior of the cabin. There's nothing really to see yet. But notice the Makita power saw. Unlike the standard staterooms (from insides to balconies), big suites like this one are actually built from "scratch" onboard. This one needs quite a bit of work! The Loft Suites are also built from scratch. Reason? These are too big to be properly transported by truck from the cabin factory about 30 minutes north in Pikkio, Finland....

And yes of course that half-built ship across the way is Allure of the Seas!

oasis-aquatheater-suite-boards-c.jpg

oasis-aquatheater-balcony-boards.jpg

This is kind of cool. See the "sold" sign on the cabin door? Well, a representative from Royal Caribbean must approve each and every cabin (and public space) before the cruise line will take possession. And because there are so many cabins, the chief housekeeper is already onboard, signing off on those that are completely finished. You can't possibly wait until final delivery to approve all aspects of the ship, so it's done gradually ... Once the cabin's been inspected and passes muster, so to speak, Royal Caribbean changes the lock. And so "sold" means that the cruise line now owns it.

cabin-solid.jpg

Here we're (finally) on the Bridge. Captain Bill Wright, who actually holds an office job as head of marine operations, was the original captain of Freedom of the Seas, and he's going back out to sea as captain of Oasis of the Seas.

Check out the view from the bridge's wing (that part that overhangs the ship's structure). Take particular note of the fact that anyone on the bridge can see just about anyone on their balconies!

See the big portholes running to the right (before you get to the first balcony off the bridge)? That's the captain's cabin. Photo's here, too. Unusually, it has a door that goes directly from Wright's office to the bridge, and the reason is not that it saves him five seconds getting to the bridge in an emergency, but that because going out into the hall and then into the bridge would play havoc with his vision at night. So if there's some kind of nighttime concern, he can just slip from his dark office to the dark bridge and not worry about seeing properly.

Also seeming kind of strange to me is the fact that the captain's cabin (same goes for the Chief Engineer's, which is opposite on other side of the ship) DOES NOT get a balcony! Can you believe the captain doesn't get his own balcony? I think it's kind of controversial within RCI -- I was told that the officers really lobbied on this ship to give the chief guy a balcony and were told no by the powers that be. The rationale? Seems bizarro to me. Apparently the captain can't have a balcony because it's not traditional.

As if Oasis of the Seas was in any shape or form traditional!

oasis-captain-wright-2.jpg

oasis-view-from-the-bridge.jpg

oasis-bridge-controls.jpg

oasis-captains-cabin.jpg

I'm not sure if this has come up, but has anyone noticed that the door numbers for cabins are a little bit different? Instead of, say, 6609, the door reads 609 (with the number of the deck above it). I think this could be confusing....

This one's actually for the AquaTheater suite we visited, and like the suite itself, it's nowhere near as ready yet as standards are. Don't worry though. It'll be done on time!

aquatheater-door.jpg

I read a few questions in earlier posts about the helipad. Here 'tis. It will NOT be open to passengers, but crew will have some recreational use of the area (lounges and such).

Gschaider, the Austria-born hotel director, was telling me about the effort the cruise line has gone to to create crew facilities (under the helipad deck, which I think is #5, there's a whole raft of rooms). Among the totally new facilities is the first-ever coffee bar created for the ship crew (older vessels have 'em but they were put in after). Crew members can get free regular coffee, but have to pay for fancier brews just like the rest of us (though they do get a cheaper price). Other stuff to entertain crew on off days, hours? A pub, game room, lounging areas, retail shop that's stocked with toiletries and necessities. New to Oasis: all crew members get personal television in berths (never done anywhere on any line, Gschaider says) and those televisions are HD with Internet access. And as I reported earlier, the crew dining room was designed for all crew and officers; there's not a separate one for each category. The crew mess by the way is pretty nice (we had lunch there the first day); it's designed very similarly to the Windjammer.

Gschaider also told me that crew members will be onboard for no less than three weeks before the first passenger cruise, which gives everyone time to get adjusted. Most will be there longer. And he noted all will get a chance to try out passenger facilities, so that they can provide info and such to passengers -- I'd imagine that's one of the reasons why the ship doesn't sail a revenue cruise across the ocean (to give crew and officers time to settle in, finish things up).

oasis-helipad.jpg

I read a few questions in earlier posts about the helipad. Here 'tis. It will NOT be open to passengers, but crew will have some recreational use of the area (lounges and such).

Gschaider, the Austria-born hotel director, was telling me about the effort the cruise line has gone to to create crew facilities (under the helipad deck, which I think is #5, there's a whole raft of rooms). Among the totally new facilities is the first-ever coffee bar created for the ship crew (older vessels have 'em but they were put in after). Crew members can get free regular coffee, but have to pay for fancier brews just like the rest of us (though they do get a cheaper price). Other stuff to entertain crew on off days, hours? A pub, game room, lounging areas, retail shop that's stocked with toiletries and necessities. New to Oasis: all crew members get personal television in berths (never done anywhere on any line, Gschaider says) and those televisions are HD with Internet access. And as I reported earlier, the crew dining room was designed for all crew and officers; there's not a separate one for each category. The crew mess by the way is pretty nice (we had lunch there the first day); it's designed very similarly to the Windjammer.

Gschaider also told me that crew members will be onboard for no less than three weeks before the first passenger cruise, which gives everyone time to get adjusted. Most will be there longer. And he noted all will get a chance to try out passenger facilities, so that they can provide info and such to passengers -- I'd imagine that's one of the reasons why the ship doesn't sail a revenue cruise across the ocean (to give crew and officers time to settle in, finish things up).

oasis-helipad.jpg

Im happy to hear about all the new things for the crew. But im really, really upset to hear that the helipad will be off limits to guests. I love going up there.

I'm wondering because all the pictures of the Royal Promenade show the roof lit green & red!

I dont know if you know this or not but the RP on the Voyager and Freedom Family is actually based off of a street and the lights will change according to the time of day. Im sure the Oasis will have something like this also they need different color lights for any show that might take place in the RP. :D

Carolyn, you didn't happen to see an inside cabin, did you? More specifically, the Category Q? I'm sure they probably aren't showing those off--the "smaller" inside cabin--I assume the "larger" one will look just like a regular cabin, without a window/balcony. I need to win Lotto.....

Thanks, Gigglewolf, for naggin' -- and a plea to all -- if by tomorrow afternoon I have NOT answered your questions, please, please ask them again. I'm going to wrap up the thread by Wednesday and I really do want to address everything I possibly can --

We didn't get to see the spa. We did see the solarium, a completely new concept for Royal Caribbean (I believe it's modeled in theory on Princess' Sanctuary but of course it will be a different interpretation and also it's a bigger space) is quite an extension of the spa. It was totally un-built-out but the space was GREAT and so I think it'll be one of my fave spots onboard.

Have to say that one of the things I don't like about Voyager- and Freedom-class ships is that the fitness and spa facilities remind me more of a YMCA (nothing wrong with that by the way, grew up going to Y's but they're just not vacation destinations) than a resort-ship. Maybe the RCI folks have been inspired by the gorgeous facilities on sister line Celebrity? I hope so....

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

In a much earlier post, I inquired about the spa area aboard the Oasis? Any info, please?

Much obliged,

Gigglewolf O' da Seas

:)

Hi, they didn't officially show any inside cabins but I did see one and thought it looked bigger than usual -- so that's good news!

For all, aside from insides which have a little bit more flexibility in furniture lay-out, all standard cabins (from outsides to verandah and from boardwalk to Central Park) all have, by and large, the exact same look. Same style chair, same color scheme, same bathroom, same vanity/desk area, same (admittedly fab) flat screen HDTV.

The only significant difference and it's minor is that for those cabins with balconies, the BW and CP have curved balconies while the "regular" exterior balconies are more rectangular.

Carolyn

Carolyn, you didn't happen to see an inside cabin, did you? More specifically, the Category Q? I'm sure they probably aren't showing those off--the "smaller" inside cabin--I assume the "larger" one will look just like a regular cabin, without a window/balcony. I need to win Lotto.....

What's really different on Oasis, cabin-wise, is the bathrooms. Totally different layout and more space (which comes from this sort of curved wall that greets you in your narrow little hallway). That's definitely different and I do see a similarity, in bathroom layout, with sister line Celebrity's new Solstice class....

Bathrooms I saw, even in standard accommodations, were really quite beautiful.

Carolyn

Interesting that the regular Balcony rooms have not been totally redesigned.

Look pretty much the same as current layouts. Not a bad thing.

Just surprising when compared to the the loft suites pic shown in the PR announcements prior.

The shows came up at the last press conference (on Friday) and I have still not absorbed all the details in my notes. Bear with me until tomorrow and I'll respond to this ---

Carolyn

I knew I wasn't imagining things. I had thought that Oasis of Dreams was a classy almost broadway like show while Splish Splash was a comedy show. Maybe they realized that they could not get everyone into two shows in one week so they merged them into one show or possibly Splish Splash was meant for Allure and they just didn't clarify clearly.

I was kind of looking foreword to Splish Splash more than the other. Oasis of Dreams has nice stylized diving but Splish Splash was almost like stunt diving.

Carolyn, I know you didn't see the finished product but from what you saw what is your opinion. Are we all going to be in awe of this ship or is all the hype going to lead to disappointment? I am sooo excited and would love to here what you think overall. Thank you for all the work you have done in preparing us for Oasis.

While the lighting of the Royal Promenade wasn't discussed, I'm sure it'll be the same, CruiseRCCL. But it's worth pointing out that one of the nicest aspects of the promenade on Oasis, beyond the fact that it's so beautifully wide and there's a second deck worth of cafes and such, is that this one's been designed to let the sunshine in. During the day there's not so much of a need for artificial lighting cause real, true and natural light will beam its way on in!

That, along with the natural aspects of Central Park, is one of the reasons why this lover of flora and fauna is really excited about the ship. It takes a cruise style ambience and spices it with land resort-style natural-ness.

I love it already.

Carolyn

I dont know if you know this or not but the RP on the Voyager and Freedom Family is actually based off of a street and the lights will change according to the time of day. Im sure the Oasis will have something like this also they need different color lights for any show that might take place in the RP. :D

Marie, will you do me a huge favor? Ask me this question again on Wednesday? There's so much more to post from the week and I'd love a little time to reflect -- and to give a totally articulate (well I hope) answer. It's a great question -- and thanks for asking. Just ask it again :)

Carolyn

Carolyn, I know you didn't see the finished product but from what you saw what is your opinion. Are we all going to be in awe of this ship or is all the hype going to lead to disappointment? I am sooo excited and would love to here what you think overall. Thank you for all the work you have done in preparing us for Oasis.

Archived