Just found out were pregnant don't think we will have time to get form filled out?

Justwondering0605

We leave in a little more then a week for our cruise on carnival and we just found out were pregnant!

I have my first OB appointment tomorrow which was hard to book because she is full up.

I can not get to the form, It takes me to a website that asks for a username and password!

Can My dr write some kind of note stating I am safe to travel or does it have to be that specific form from them?

What happens if I don't get the form in time? This cruise is a huge deal for us. This is a once in a lifetime chance.

I'm only 8 weeks along max and my other pregnancies have been uncomplicated and healthy.

I almost want to just mums the word! I mean we are not even telling family yet!Is there any harm in just keeping this to ourselves?

I have read to many other stories where people were stressing getting this form before they cruise! Why is the form so hard to track down? I do not want to be dishonest with the cruise but, seriously this opportunity for us will never happen again :(

If we can't go on this cruise we are out over 8oo bucks plus the campsite and hotel we booked because we have to road trip for 2 days to get to port!

You are fine. They are more worried about you being past a time period - I think it's 26 or 22 weeks. They don't want you to deliver prematurely and not be able to offer on board neonatal care. Think of it as a "don't ask, don't tell" thing. No one but you needs to know. Stop stressing, it's not good for you or the baby :)

We leave in a little more then a week for our cruise on carnival and we just found out were pregnant!

I have my first OB appointment tomorrow which was hard to book because she is full up.

I can not get to the form, It takes me to a website that asks for a username and password!

Can My dr write some kind of note stating I am safe to travel or does it have to be that specific form from them?

What happens if I don't get the form in time? This cruise is a huge deal for us. This is a once in a lifetime chance.

I'm only 8 weeks along max and my other pregnancies have been uncomplicated and healthy.

I almost want to just mums the word! I mean we are not even telling family yet!Is there any harm in just keeping this to ourselves?

I have read to many other stories where people were stressing getting this form before they cruise! Why is the form so hard to track down? I do not want to be dishonest with the cruise but, seriously this opportunity for us will never happen again :(

If we can't go on this cruise we are out over 8oo bucks plus the campsite and hotel we booked because we have to road trip for 2 days to get to port!

This is directly from the Carnival website.

PREGNANCY POLICY

Pregnant women are only allowed to sail if pregnant for 24 completed weeks or less at time of cruise disembarkation. All pregnant women are required to produce a physician’s letter stating that mother and baby are in good health, fit to travel and the pregnancy is not high-risk. The letter must also include the estimated date of delivery (EDD).

spacer.gif

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_minor_pregnancy_policy.aspx

I personally wouldn't tell at 8 weeks as it is just generally accepted that one doesn't until 12. But if it is not too hard to get a note from the doctor while there, I'd do that and just have it on hand. When I cruised at 20 weeks (and looked massive!) I had a letter from my doctor, no special form, and that was fine.

I cruised at both 6 weeks and at 20 weeks. I think it is important (for safety reasons) to notify the cruise line. I would call and let them know you just found out you were pregnant. I would also see about getting a note from your OB just to be safe. Most OB's are more than willing to do this, even with short notice. That way you are covered.

I would not tell the cruiseline (or even many relatives) about being 8 weeks but have a note from my OB if it is easy to get to have just in case and to make you less stressed about it.

Like others have said the main thing is that they are wanting to avoid premature labor since they do not have the necessary medical care for a delivery. At that early in the pregnancy it wouldn't be a concern.

The only reason I would tell the cruise line is that miscarriage/ectopic pregnancies can occur in the 1st trimester. I know it is a morbid thought (and I HATE to be the one to bring it up) but in case there is bleeding and a doctor needs to be seen, at least the cruise line will have knowledge of the pregnancy ahead of time. In addition, morning sickness is also common at this point in pregnancy. Between the motion of the boat and morning sickness, again, a doctor may need to be consulted. I just wouldn't take the chance and not tell them. Again, these may be extremes but they do occur. Make sure to have good travel insurance as well. Most likely everything will be fine and you will have a great time. I would just cover all of my bases.

Congrats with your pregnancy :) I cruised when I was 22 weeks and I didnt notify them in advance and forgot to give them the note from my Dr. at the pier:eek: so you are fine just have a great cruise :)

The only reason I would tell the cruise line is that miscarriage/ectopic pregnancies can occur in the 1st trimester. I know it is a morbid thought (and I HATE to be the one to bring it up) but in case there is bleeding and a doctor needs to be seen, at least the cruise line will have knowledge of the pregnancy ahead of time. In addition, morning sickness is also common at this point in pregnancy. Between the motion of the boat and morning sickness, again, a doctor may need to be consulted. I just wouldn't take the chance and not tell them. Again, these may be extremes but they do occur. Make sure to have good travel insurance as well. Most likely everything will be fine and you will have a great time. I would just cover all of my bases.

If any of this did occur, the ship's doctor could be informed of the pregnancy then. Them knowing in advance is not going to do anything to help if something goes wrong.

You will probably be OK if you have the note and do not disclose the pregnancy to them. I wouldn't take the risk of traveling without the note though. If something does happen, and they find out you are pregnant, and do not have a note from your doctor saying you are healthy to travel, they could ask you to leave the ship at the next port.

They do NOT want the liability of a high risk pregnancy at any gestational age and can't take any chances. That is why the have this policy in place.

If you don't look pregnant, no one will question you at all.

This is what I was going to say. I was 20 weeks and no one at check in could tell (high counter + loose top). I had all my paperwork in order but didn't volunteer the information....no one asked!

You will probably be OK if you have the note and do not disclose the pregnancy to them. I wouldn't take the risk of traveling without the note though. If something does happen, and they find out you are pregnant, and do not have a note from your doctor saying you are healthy to travel, they could ask you to leave the ship at the next port.

They do NOT want the liability of a high risk pregnancy at any gestational age and can't take any chances. That is why the have this policy in place.

Many people don't even know they're pregnant at 8 weeks - I can't imagine them kicking you off the ship because you didn't tell them you are 8 weeks pregnant! Since the risk of m/c in the first trimester is 1 in 4 (most very early), I don't think any first trimester pregnancy is considered high risk - there is nothing one can do or not do to cause or prevent a m/c.

I just don't see what the reason would be to hide a pregnancy from a cruise line. I can understand if someone did not know they were pregnant, but if you know, it is worth telling. And if something were to happen (miscarriage/ectopic) and the pregnancy was not disclosed, that is grounds for the cruise line to force you to leave the ship. These conditions can be dangerous, if not life threatening and they occur more often than you think, especially in the 1st trimester. It's best to provide whatever pertinent health information you can to the cruise line for your safety. It is also beneficial to make sure you have good travel insurance that will cover any health care issues in case of an emergency. Both my DH and I are in the medical profession (he is a physician and I am a RN) and feel strongly about both of these subjects.

Modifications can also be made for pregnant women. For example, our waiter pointed out foods that were not safe for me to eat, and made modifications for me on dishes that perhaps I wanted. The spa made modifications to my treatments for safety reasons. Only certain products were used that were safe for pregnancy. Specialty drinks were made for me without alcohol in them so I could partake in them.

Like I said, I have cruised pregnant twice now, and have told the cruise lines both times. In both cases, I was treated very well and had a great time. But there was some comfort in knowing that the cruise line was aware and that my OB cleared me for travel and that I had a note stating so. This is just my opinion on the subject....people can do what they feel comfortable with.

• 3 weeks later...

Having had a previous ectopic pregnancy (very painful and can be life threatening) there are lots of things that God forbid can go wrong in an early trimester. I would get the note and let them know. I'm going on Liberty of the Seas at the end of April and will be 21 weeks and just got a note from the doctor stating weeks along, edd and fit to travel. If anything happened you could also say you only found out.

I see no reason to tell them. All it is going to do is create more hassle for you by having to keep up with more paperwork and documentation. To me that causes more stress, and you should keep your stress level down. They have no reason to know, and you shouldn't need special accommodations at 8 weeks. Just tell your OB so she can get you a script for an anti-nausea med just in case. I'm sure you know to avoid alcohol and high mercury fish (Tuna steak, albacore, swordfish). Others will say to avoid caffeine, soft cheeses, and deli meat. You can also talk to your OB about possible complications, and when it would be important to seek medical treatment.

I cruised in Europe at around 14 weeks pregnant. Princess just requires a letter from the OB saying you are all in good health and fit to travel which I faxed in advance (never heard word from them about it--I did confirm they received it). I also traveled with a copy of the letter.

That being said, I would not have told them at 8 weeks. I only found out I was pregnant around that time and we waited to tell most people until later. I would try to get a letter to have with you. If you start getting sick (morning sickness & motion can really do that), they could mistake it for noro and try to confine you to your cabin. At least the letter would confirm your response of being pregnant (and that you're fit to travel).

Have a great time!

Archived