Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

POA1,

I have a question. You said that you had 6 bottles of wine each. I read that HAL only allows one 750 mils = 3 glassess LOL Anyway.... again tell me what you paid for the corkage fee for all six.

You know.... HAL used to be one of the last cruise lines that would allow you to bring wine...:( Now within a year it has changed.

One of the highlights was going to the total wine store!! (for research & science of course) LOL There I was with my cart,loading up with all my favs of Wine........:D

I am going to miss that...But.... I will move forward and buy wine still..........I just need to know (ball park) what 6 bottles are going to cost me.........or if I am better off getting one of HALS drink/wine packages. Any information would be great.

Thank you again! :D

B. B. King Update - While the band was off last night, the Queens Lounge was converted to karaoke. We spoke to our research assistant (a.k.a. the waitress we usually have for B. B. King,) and she said that the band was not continuing on to Europe.

Hi POA1,

I am hoping that your research assistant is wrong because my research albeit in a sober state was that the group start on the NA on the 6 th April for the TA.

I just hope that I am right bur perhaps a glass of good Aussie Shiraz will assist my research tonight !

Ciao,

Cristiano

POA1,

I have a question. You said that you had 6 bottles of wine each. I read that HAL only allows one 750 mils = 3 glassess LOL Anyway.... again tell me what you paid for the corkage fee for all six.

You know.... HAL used to be one of the last cruise lines that would allow you to bring wine...:( Now within a year it has changed.

One of the highlights was going to the total wine store!! (for research & science of course) LOL There I was with my cart,loading up with all my favs of Wine........:D

I am going to miss that...But.... I will move forward and buy wine still..........I just need to know (ball park) what 6 bottles are going to cost me.........or if I am better off getting one of HALS drink/wine packages. Any information would be great.

Thank you again! :D

Not POA but policy is and POA has confirmed it - corkage fee is $18 per bottle for any wine bottles in excess of the free one each person is allowed to bring on.

Once again we are at sea using the satellite connection to the InterWebs, so I will do one of those bulk posts, wherein I answer a whole bunch of questions from the scientific community in a single post. I know that lacks the personal touch tat each of you has come to expect - and deservedly so - but (1) this connection is slow, (2) expensive, and (3) much less fun than using my phone while sitting in the Ocean Bar.

Important geek trivia note: The Ocean Bar on the Noordam seems to have a great cell signal whenever we are in port. I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that it's been portside each time, but it's a great place to catch up on your scientific journals and they have all the laboratory equipment you could possibly need. (Unless you need sangria. That's a pool bar/lido exclusive. Frankly, I avoid sangria as it is the Devil's Kool Aid.)

bajacali

That's great news on the B.B. King club for the Europe/Med voyages. They're a really great addition to the entertainment schedule. I hope you'll enjoy them as much as we do.

CHOPPERTESTER

Also an excellent tip. I forgot about the mixer differential. We usually only buy wine, beer, or liquor at Total Wine. You will find that certain beers and wines are a little less at Publix as well, especially if they're on sale.

shandryl

A third of a bottle is a really healthy pour and would probably overwhelm the HAL MDR wine glasses. However, it's a worthwhile experiment. I'd make sure that you had flat seas though.

We paid $18 per bottle or $108 per person, with each person paying for 6 bottles. That amount would be lower if you were planning to consume your one-bottle-per-adult-over-21-per-cabin-drink-it-in-your-room wine allotment. As it stood, our total corkage was $432. We're hoping that a research grant from the National Science Foundation will offset and defray some of our costs.

When we were planning the trip, we initially thought that there was a one bottle per person hard limit. I planned to pick up four really good bottles and then just buy a wine package or two. That all changed when HAL finalized their carry on wine policy.

The answer really depends on what you like to drink. We happen to like wine and I know that my carry on purchases, plus corkage are going to be well worth it - to us at least. We have a fair number of older wines with us and 12 selections that were in Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines of 2013.

Having said that, we could have easily done just fine with the HAL wine packages. For quick and dirty advice, I would pick my whites from the Navigator's package and my reds from the Admiral's package. If you only buy one package and it's the Admiral's - I would highly recommend the Franciscan Chardonnay. It's the best wine in either package. Of course, if you are like DSIL and hate Chardonnay, then that advice would not apply.

Finally - If you buy the SBP, you should probably try to taste all four of the main house wines (Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon) to make sure that they suit you. Your wine by the glass choices are pretty limited on the SBP. However, if you like the house pours, it will help you derive more value from your SBP. One fairly important note: Do NOT do your sampling at the pool bars. The wines are sitting out in the heat and it's not an environment conducive to proper taste testing. Drink inside, preferably in a dining area where the wine will be to temperature and freshly opened.

Cristiano

bajacali called HAL Guest Services and it would appear that my information from the waitress was wrong and that the Blues Club will be open for the summer sailings. Perhaps she meant that this particular band would be leaving. In any case, that's good news. I think you'll like the B.B. King All Stars.

LE CIRQUE -

I know I promised a full report on Le Cirque, but sadly this is not to be. The Pinnacle has been having issues all cruise and we begged out of our seating last night. We reported for our 8:00 PM seating and there were five or six couples waiting. Some of them were complaining - loudly and obnoxiously. We could tell by their demeanor that they were going to be that way all night. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's being surrounded by whiners. We went to our regularly scheduled MDR table and ate there. We were about 20 minutes late, but the MDR staff and kitchen were able to accommodate us just fine.

I'm off the lab to fire up the Bunsen burners, titrate the solutions, and calibrate the instruments. In the words of the old Jewish guy who plays the old Mexican guy in the beer commercial, "Stay Thirsty My Friends." ;)

Edited by POA1

Once again we are at sea using the satellite connection to the InterWebs, so I will do one of those bulk posts, wherein I answer a whole bunch of questions from the scientific community in a single post. I know that lacks the personal touch tat each of you has come to expect - and deservedly so - but (1) this connection is slow, (2) expensive, and (3) much less fun than using my phone while sitting in the Ocean Bar.

Important geek trivia note: The Ocean Bar on the Noordam seems to have a great cell signal whenever we are in port. I'm sure that has something to do with the fact that it's been portside each time, but it's a great place to catch up on your scientific journals and they have all the laboratory equipment you could possibly need. (Unless you need sangria. That's a pool bar/lido exclusive. Frankly, I avoid sangria as it is the Devil's Kool Aid.)

bajacali

That's great news on the B.B. King club for the Europe/Med voyages. They're a really great addition to the entertainment schedule. I hope you'll enjoy them as much as we do.

Cristiano

bajacali called HAL Guest Services and it would appear that my information from the waitress was wrong and that the Blues Club will be open for the summer sailings. Perhaps she meant that this particular band would be leaving. In any case, that's good news. I think you'll like the B.B. King All Stars.

Good to know! I hoped that the waitress was just referring to that particular band. I wonder how many there are?

Good to know! I hoped that the waitress was just referring to that particular band. I wonder how many there are?

Bands or waitresses? :D

The band is composed of two featured vocalists (male & female), a tenor sax player, trumpeter, lead & bass guitars, keyboards, and drummer. In our group, the drummer is the musical director.

I've been told that the band members sign on for a certain number of weeks which more or less overlap. My guess is that it's a fairly flexible concept and that they could form as many bands as needed.

They are outstanding musicians - all of them. The lead guitarist also does some lead vocals. Really great stuff. Nice bar staff, too.

Bands or waitresses? :D

:D:D groan!

The band is composed of two featured vocalists (male & female), a tenor sax player, trumpeter, lead & bass guitars, keyboards, and drummer. In our group, the drummer is the musical director.

I've been told that the band members sign on for a certain number of weeks which more or less overlap. My guess is that it's a fairly flexible concept and that they could form as many bands as needed.

They are outstanding musicians - all of them. The lead guitarist also does some lead vocals. Really great stuff. Nice bar staff, too.

Thanks for the info! For the Eurodam I see that one of the bands will be starting in March or April... but it doesn't show an end date. Oh well, will keep my fingers crossed. :)

Research assistant reporting for duty, sir.

I'm sure many others have seen this, but for those who haven't, from the HAL website:

B.B. King’s Blues Club Schedule

Cristiano

Hi POA1,

thank you for that and after a bottle of 2000 Yalumba Octavius (Old Vines Shiraz) Barossa South Australia and a bottle of 2001 Peel Estate (Shiraz) Baldavis Western Australia I feel much better from your sources re the B.B. King Band !:)

Shame we are not on a cruise together as we could compare notes...one of my all time favorite US wine is from the Russian River Valley, Sonoma County; a Longboard 2009 Syrah....to die for..... then again I have never had some of your top rated Mondavi !

I do go on but blues and a good red go hand in hand ~=!

Ciao,

Cristiano.

Edited by Cristiano
Double Year Posted !

Cristiano

Hi POA1,

thank you for that and after a bottle of 2000 Yalumba Octavius (Old Vines Shiraz) Barossa South Australia and a bottle of 2001 Peel Estate (Shiraz) Baldavis Western Australia I feel much better from your sources re the B.B. King Band !:)

Shame we are not on a cruise together as we could compare notes...one of my all time favorite US wine is from the Russian River Valley, Sonoma County; a Longboard 2009 Syrah....to die for..... then again I have never had some of your top rated Mondavi !

I do go on but blues and a good red go hand in hand ~=!

Ciao,

Cristiano.

Speaking of Mondavi..... 2006 Reserve Cabernet- absolutely without a doubt perfection in a bottle. On my list for May cruise

POA1,

Thank you for answering my questions. You have been very helpful, From one wine person to another............Let us toast to WINE! :D ** Stay thirsty my Friend**;)

Edited by shandryl

From the "It Took You Long Enough Department" - The B.B. King Cocktail menu. Everything is covered by the SBP.

LUCILLE - Coconut Rum, Blue Curacao, Orange and Pineapple Juices.

STRONG ISLAND ICED TEA - Vodka, Rum< Gin, Tequila, Triple Sec, Sour Mix, Cola

MOTOWN MARGARITA - Tequila, Blue Curacao, Sour Mix, Orange and Lime Juices

ROCK ME BABY - Rum, Banana Liquor, Melon Liquer, Orange, Cranberry and Pineapple Juices.

PEACH MELODY - Coconut Rum, Peach Schnapps, Cranberry Juice, Sprite.

Alrighty then...

Another consolidated post. Today is the final day of our cruise, a sea day back to Fort Lauderdale. We actually managed to stay out past 1:00 AM last night, which is a first for this cruise. Generally speaking, we have had early nights, which is good. It helps to keep our crack team of scientists performing at their best.

Last night was the third and final formal night. Lobster was on the menu and it was honest-to-goodness Maine lobster. We don't normally eat the lobster on cruise ships because it had been the spiny or warm water type. (Disclaimer: We have a house in Maine, so any lobster that is older than "this morning" usually doesn't cut it in our book.) However, we've been in Florida since the October, so it was a welcome change.

The lobster was tails only, which is probably best given that everyone was decked out in their finery. Not that it would have been a problem for us... DW can break down a lobster in seconds.

Three members of the B.B. King band are leaving the ship tomorrow and replacements are getting on in port. Our voyage didn't have a B.B. King show in the Vista showroom. All of the shows were in the Queen's Lounge. They're doing two sets tonight.

S1drfl

Thank you for the show update. Most of our band is from Memphis, but they pull from B.B. King clubs around the country.

Cristiano

Nice wine! Blues and red... I like that.

frankc98376

I agree on the Mondavi. We're still sitting on a magnum of the 1995 at home. Since we're limited to 750ml bottles, we had to leave the big boys and small format dessert wines at home. Note to self: I have to try the late harvest Sauv Blanc at dinner tonight.

shandryl

Thanks! Typing one handed and toasting with the other.

For POA1

I apologize as I am certain you have already addressed this....but I just can't find it.

Can you please let me know if Groelsh Beer and Stella Artois are covered under the SBP?

Thanks!

Yes, they both are. Every beer is covered.

POA1,

As I have not cruised on HAL as yet, two cruises booked on the Prinsendam

What is the current price of the Navigator pack (red) on board

The price to purchase on the HAL web site is $228 (which includes 15% tax)

If you purchase on the first day on board will you have to pay additional National tax

Buy purchasing before the cruise starts are you able to avoid extra tax

Thanks POA1. We are preparing for a 30 day cruise next month and have the Explore 4 package. You investigative reports have given us great information and put us (me) more at ease and less fretful than facing an unknown SBP.

Again, Thank you VERY much!

Thank you for all your insights into wines, corkage and bars aboard Noordam. I have enjoyed my daily read of your thread. We join Noordam on the TA on the 21st and it has been a great help.

POA1,

As I have not cruised on HAL as yet, two cruises booked on the Prinsendam

What is the current price of the Navigator pack (red) on board

The price to purchase on the HAL web site is $228 (which includes 15% tax)

If you purchase on the first day on board will you have to pay additional National tax

Buy purchasing before the cruise starts are you able to avoid extra tax

The price on the ship is the same as the website. In Fort Lauderdale, tax is charged on beverages served, so I think that gets you around the tax issue. I'm not sure how it is handled in other jurisdictions.

I'm sure someone will know though.

Thanks POA1. We are preparing for a 30 day cruise next month and have the Explore 4 package. You investigative reports have given us great information and put us (me) more at ease and less fretful than facing an unknown SBP.

Again, Thank you VERY much!

My pleasure. I'll write up a summary - including information on what a mess your bill becomes if you add the SBP after the cruise starts. It's an accounting debacle of the first magnitude.

Thank you for all your insights into wines, corkage and bars aboard Noordam. I have enjoyed my daily read of your thread. We join Noordam on the TA on the 21st and it has been a great help.

The ship is in good shape and the staff is very nice. I'll post a more thorough review later. We just exhausted from our 3 mile trip home ;) It's good to live close to the port. It took longer to get off the ship than it did to get home.

Thank you for your very informative and entertaining thread.

Unfortunately for me my DW does not drink alcoholic beverages, so I am not eligible to get the SBP, unless I just want "pay for two, get one." I do appreciate your scientific evaluation of the various offerings. It will make my own experimentations much better, as I can just build on the work of your team.

Your mention of the caviar service in the Pinnacle and in another thread has lead DW to decide that she will switch from being "Vegitarian" which she has been for the past two years, to "Pescetarian" at least for our week on board. The memories of caviars and lobsters past has done the trick!

Thank you again. I salute your dedication to scientific inquiry!

The ship is in good shape and the staff is very nice. I'll post a more thorough review later. We just exhausted from our 3 mile trip home ;) It's good to live close to the port. It took longer to get off the ship than it did to get home.

Lucky you! ;) For me it took over 10 hours, involving one bus transfer, two flights & a taxi ride! :eek:

Thank you for your very informative and entertaining thread.

Unfortunately for me my DW does not drink alcoholic beverages, so I am not eligible to get the SBP, unless I just want "pay for two, get one." I do appreciate your scientific evaluation of the various offerings. It will make my own experimentations much better, as I can just build on the work of your team.

Your mention of the caviar service in the Pinnacle and in another thread has lead DW to decide that she will switch from being "Vegitarian" which she has been for the past two years, to "Pescetarian" at least for our week on board. The memories of caviars and lobsters past has done the trick!

Thank you again. I salute your dedication to scientific inquiry!

I'll post a photo of the caviar service later. It wasn't impressive and they forgot the creme fraiche, but give us an ounce of Osetra, a couple of saltines, and a bottle of champagne and we can muddle through. :)