NCL Raiseing drink Prices?

orian_m42

Hi all its come to my attention that NCL may be raising drink prices so a large majority of the drinks will not be fully covered under the UBP promotion.

If this is true i believe that's just unethical business practices,effectively changing the UBP package to RBP (reduced beverage package).While i understand that NCL is a business and they exist to make money their are better ways to cut operating costs, than to offer a promotion to your customers then change prices to which effectively nullifies the promotion. JMHO.

Please keep an eye out for theses changing bar prices on your up coming cruises. Me and my family are going on the Escape in May 2017 and we have the UBP packages.

Hi all its come to my attention that NCL may be raising drink prices so a large majority of the drinks will not be fully covered under the UBP promotion.

If this is true i believe that's just unethical business practices,effectively changing the UBP package to RBP (reduced beverage package).While i understand that NCL is a business and they exist to make money their are better ways to cut operating costs, than to offer a promotion to your customers then change prices to which effectively nullifies the promotion. JMHO.

Please keep an eye out for theses changing bar prices on your up coming cruises. Me and my family are going on the Escape in May 2017 and we have the UBP packages.

A large majority would suggest that well over 50% of the drinks will no longer be available on the UBP. Are you sure it's that many ?

They did move several top shelf drinks above the $15 limit, and even have a category that is "not included" in the beverage plan. So far, everyone says they have only been charged the difference in price between $15 and the "not included" drink price, but I expect that to change.

NCL will continue to tweak their beverage plan until most passengers are paying the $2 to $5 extra per drink. The "value" is still there for some as they see they are getting a $17 drink for $2.36 (including the automatic 18% service charge). And some will brag about only drinking the premium brands that are not on the beverage plan at $18 to $22 a drink, just like some people bragged about only eating at the expensive specialty restaurants.

It started with paying for dinner at specialty restaurants; now all lines have to have them as an extra cost option just to keep up. Like it or not, passengers seem to be responding well to the extra cost items like gambling, specialty meals, higher drink prices, etc. We complain about it a lot here, but the average passenger feels special paying more.

NCL did recently raise the price of many drinks and spirits over and above the $15 range... That's not to say they couldn't do this again in the near future, their policies have been a rapidly moving target for the past couple of years now... In fact, one of my favorite tequilas has gone from $11 a year ago, to $29.95 now, so nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to their bar pricing...

I wonder where the OP got this info from.

Perhaps they are talking about the recent increase on a few drinks, which took maybe a dozen drinks over the UBP limit. That was obviously a nothing like "a large majority". More like a tiny minority.

If the OP has information about an increase which is coming then it would be good to have more information. Obviously, it would take a very big percentage increase to hit the "large majority" mark even then, which suggests to me that there is some hyperbole involved here.

More info would be useful.

Perhaps they are talking about the recent increase on a few drinks, which took maybe a dozen drinks over the UBP limit. That was obviously a nothing like "a large majority". More like a tiny minority.

If the OP has information about an increase which is coming then it would be good to have more information. Obviously, it would take a very big percentage increase to hit the "large majority" mark even then, which suggests to me that there is some hyperbole involved here.

Curious - do you know which ones?? I haven't been on the NCL boards a lot lately and I'm trying to catch up! ;)

Curious - do you know which ones?? I haven't been on the NCL boards a lot lately and I'm trying to catch up! ;)

I'm afraid I don't know really. The increase had happened when we went on the Star in August, but none of them were drinks which I would order, so I didn't really pay much attention.

The thread that this seems to have come from is the UBP must try drinks one, which is currently on the front page of this forum. There was a thread specifically about the increase a few months back, but I don't think I'd be able to find it easily.

Generally, it was cocktails made with premium spirits, from memory. I think it was also some things like flavoured Grey Goose.

I seem to recall there was a small uproar over the chocolate martini, flavored vodkas, and the gem slide. I'm not even sure that last one is a drink.

It has come to your attention through what channels? Anything "may" happen, and price increases certainly "will" happen, the question is when? And how much?

The last round of increases (July 2016) mainly targeted the super premium brands, which went from $10.95 to $16.95. A number of cocktails made with these super premium brands went up to $17.95.

• Dark & Stormy (Gosling's Black Seal, ginger beer, lime)
  • Paloma (Patrón silver, Pellegrino grapefruit, lime)
  • Spanish Gin & Tonic (Prairie organic, tonic, lime)
  • Apple Blossom (Ultimat, apple, orange, cranberry, lime)
  • Belvedere Peach Nectar (Belvedere, peach, ginger ale, lime)
  • Rum Cake (Pyrat XO, Godiva dark, Chambord, cream)
  • Ciroc Cosmopolitan
  • Chocolate or Espresso Martini
  • Jalapeño Cucumber Mojito (Zacapa 23, syrup, lime, jalapeño, cucumber, club soda)

It would be the logical next step to turn their attention to premium brands (things like Jack Daniels, Bombay Sapphire, Stolichnaya), currently $9.50, and put the price up to $15.50. And this time, the increase would affect the prices of dozens of cocktails, not just a small handful. NCL is certainly capable of doing that. They didn't touch these prices in July, so it has been about 9-10 months that these prices have stayed the same. That's a long time for NCL!

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Its easy to do just compare posts here on the boards,look at Gambees recent review of the Escape which has all the bar menues with the prices on it the look at the UBP must try cocktails post the last 3 pages youll see that someone just got off the Jewl and drinks that were 8.95 have gone up to 18.95. While i agree that paying 3.95 for a drink is a bargain,

increasing prices that much after offering a UBP promotion is kinda unethical.Also NCL changing prices slowly over time instead of all at once gives customers time to adjust and be more accepting of it,making the UBP promotion less of a value still doesn't make it right.

I'm afraid I don't know really. The increase had happened when we went on the Star in August, but none of them were drinks which I would order, so I didn't really pay much attention.

The thread that this seems to have come from is the UBP must try drinks one, which is currently on the front page of this forum. There was a thread specifically about the increase a few months back, but I don't think I'd be able to find it easily.

Generally, it was cocktails made with premium spirits, from memory. I think it was also some things like flavoured Grey Goose.

Thanks that helps! I might dig around and see if I can find it....then again maybe not. :cool:

It has come to your attention through what channels? Anything "may" happen, and price increases certainly "will" happen, the question is when? And how much?

The last round of increases (July 2016) mainly targeted the super premium brands, which went from $10.95 to $16.95. A number of cocktails made with these super premium brands went up to $17.95.

• Dark & Stormy (Gosling's Black Seal, ginger beer, lime)
  • Paloma (Patrón silver, Pellegrino grapefruit, lime)
  • Spanish Gin & Tonic (Prairie organic, tonic, lime)
  • Apple Blossom (Ultimat, apple, orange, cranberry, lime)
  • Belvedere Peach Nectar (Belvedere, peach, ginger ale, lime)
  • Rum Cake (Pyrat XO, Godiva dark, Chambord, cream)
  • Ciroc Cosmopolitan
  • Chocolate or Espresso Martini
  • Jalapeño Cucumber Mojito (Zacapa 23, syrup, lime, jalapeño, cucumber, club soda)

It would be the logical next step to turn their attention to premium brands (things like Jack Daniels, Bombay Sapphire, Stolichnaya), currently $9.50, and put the price up to $15.50. And this time, the increase would affect the prices of dozens of cocktails, not just a small handful. NCL is certainly capable of doing that. They didn't touch these prices in July, so it has been about 9-10 months that these prices have stayed the same. That's a long time for NCL!

No need. hawkeyetise has given the info above. :)

That is clear and helpful information. THANKS to you both!! :D :) :D

On the Sky they have "open bar" instead of UBP, no service charges, it's all built into your fare. The difference is that you can only ask for a Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc, or Shiraz and you get whatever is on offer. You used to be able to order a Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling for instance.

The wine lists only show the North and South (NCL label) wines available, so you have to know that you can order a certain type of wine, or you'll think you can only get house wine. The waiters didn't offer up that information.

I wonder if the UBP is heading in that direction? I guess I'll find out next week.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

I think that they are heading that way, as demonstrated by the limited menu of wines by the glass.

Is that true within Cellars as well? I recall changes awhile back, I just don't recall how limited it is now. Point being - if I have one, is that it seems odd that one initiative is to highly limit what's available by-the-glass, while another is to introduce the Cellars venue on new builds & drydock refits. Unless the venue is targeting bottle service (or simply filling a bar location).

Great, I can no longer get a Dark & Stormy on NCL without paying the difference :(

Back in the day, when the UBP was not offered for free, and the limit was $11, drinks with grey goose were over the limit, and back then you couldn't just pay the difference. I just asked the bartenders to substitute another brand of vodka. I've had dark and stormies with different brands of rum.

Back in the day, when the UBP was not offered for free, and the limit was $11, drinks with grey goose were over the limit, and back then you couldn't just pay the difference. I just asked the bartenders to substitute another brand of vodka. I've had dark and stormies with different brands of rum.

Thank you @mjkacmom I will have to ask for another brand of rum in February! Very helpful!

Is that true within Cellars as well? I recall changes awhile back, I just don't recall how limited it is now. Point being - if I have one, is that it seems odd that one initiative is to highly limit what's available by-the-glass, while another is to introduce the Cellars venue on new builds & drydock refits. Unless the venue is targeting bottle service (or simply filling a bar location).

I don't know I'm afraid. I totally agree with your point, but haven't been to the Cellars since they limited the by the glass menu.

It certainly would go against the idea of the place.

I am wondering where you are getting your information? As for unethical, I am sure they will adjust the UBP if your information is indeed true. I do think I would wait to see what happens since you will not be cruising for 7 more months. A lot of things would happen between now and then.