Binocular recommendation for use at sea

Thebes

Hello CC fellas,

I like to buy a good quality binocular for use at sea for my upcoming cruise in the Carribean. I have one I bought years ago " Bushnell " and I'm not happy with it. I wanna use it for things like sail in to San Juan. Any shared stories of your best binoculars will be appreciated. Thank you in advance :):)

P.S. If you choose to share your story please tell us the name and the model and if possibly price of your best binocular. Also where u bought it from. Things like that. Gracias.

Edited by Thebes

I purchased a pair of Leica Trinovid 10x25 for travel. They are a high quality binocular and easily fit in a shirt pocket or jacket. They are a little pricey @ about $600 retail but can be found on-line for around $450. Try an internet search for "binoculars" and you will find a website that includes that word followed by dot com. A wealth of information there as well as fair prices and good customer service.

A quality pair is a good investment, and if "travel size" will be carried often rather than left in the cabin on the desk. I've been very pleased with mine and they go with me on all my cruises. Have a great cruise.

I used a small monocular on Med. cruise. I believe it was from Magellan' s. The best use was observing the incredible detail of immense art works in Istanbul. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but it was adequate in many other circumstances. And so easy to carry even around my neck. Heavy doesn't work for me.

Blessings,

Gail

Edited by Lvteks

Do your research first. There's such a range of binoculars today that just popping into your local sporting goods store and grabbing a pair is no longer a good option, as different applications require binoculars with different characteristics.

This is one of many websites that discuss some of the aspects you should consider before making a purchase: http://www.chuckhawks.com/binocular_basics.htm

I have a wide angle Nikon that cost about $70.

Weight is an issue for me as I wear them around my neck with my camera.

I have used them on many cruises, sailing into and out of port and looking for whales, birds and dolphins.

My suggestion is go to a local store and try out several pair.

I have a wide angle Nikon that cost about $70.

Weight is an issue for me as I wear them around my neck with my camera.

I have used them on many cruises, sailing into and out of port and looking for whales, birds and dolphins.

My suggestion is go to a local store and try out several pair.

We purchased some binocular harnesses. No more strain on the neck or drooping down when bending. The harness fits over your shoulders. Love them.

Just google binocular harness and you will get many different varieties.

Edited by aliaschief

We purchased some binocular harnesses. No more strain on the neck or drooping down when bending. The harness fits over your shoulders. Love them.

Just google binocular harness and you will get many different varieties.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried to use the harness and for me ... with my camera ... it just doesn't seem to work.

Wish it did. I know lots of people who use them and love them

Thebes--Here's a pair to check out. I've had mine for years and remain quite happy with them--cruising and elsewhere: Orion's "Ultra View" 8x42 available from oriontelescopes.com for $160. They're described as good for birding, nature and traveling, but I also use mine for stargazing. They have a very wide field of view at 8.2 degrees and close focus up to just 12 feet. The eye relief is really good (22mm) which means if you wear eyeglasses, you need not remove them to use these binos. They have BAK-4 prisms and are fully multi-coated.

Thebes--Here's a pair to check out. I've had mine for years and remain quite happy with them--cruising and elsewhere: Orion's "Ultra View" 8x42 available from oriontelescopes.com for $160. They're described as good for birding, nature and traveling, but I also use mine for stargazing. They have a very wide field of view at 8.2 degrees and close focus up to just 12 feet. The eye relief is really good (22mm) which means if you wear eyeglasses, you need not remove them to use these binos. They have BAK-4 prisms and are fully multi-coated.

I will research those for sure. Thank you very much for sharing the info. And thank you everyone.

Correction: My monocular was from National Geographic Society catalog. It is 7x and weighs 2 oz. Obviously not intended for all types of viewing. However it was also useful with the penguins in the Faulkland Islands. DH simply changed lenses and shot any other distance scenes. The wonderful world of digital. Not sure of the quality but there have been binoculars with cameras.

Blessings,

Gail

Whatever you buy, make an attempt to buy them from a brick and mortar store where you can try them out. If you do purchase them in the internet, make sure to have the ability to return them if you do not like them w/o penalty.

One thing that you did not say is if you wear glasses. If you do, you want to buy binocs that have a really good eye relief.

An article from B&H- "3) Remember that more eye relief means a narrower field of view, and vice versa.

What’s Eye Relief?

If you wish to use your binocular while wearing eyeglasses or sunglasses, you’ll subsequently need to choose an optic that provides adequate eye relief. Those with thick glasses will likely need at least 15mm of eye relief to be able to still see the entire image created by the binocular. Eye relief adds to the comfort level of all observers, with or without the use of glasses, because you don’t have to constantly press against the optic to see the view.

Why Sacrifice Any Eye Relief?

Nikon 8x32 Binocular B&H# NI8X32VLX Eye relief does not come without a cost, and this is the field of view. You’ll generally find that those models with more eye relief will have a smaller field of view at 1000 yards than similarly priced models with less eye relief. Accomplishing superlative statistics in both categories is an expensive process of optical engineering, and that expense will of course be passed along to the consumer. It is always nice to have a broad viewing area, so decide how much eye relief is necessary for you and buy the binocular that otherwise gives the widest field of view."

A link from another site on eye relief - http://www.eagleoptics.com/articles/technical-guide/understanding-eye-relief-a-closer-look

DON

Whatever you buy, make an attempt to buy them from a brick and mortar store where you can try them out. If you do purchase them in the internet, make sure to have the ability to return them if you do not like them w/o penalty.

One thing that you did not say is if you wear glasses. If you do, you want to buy binocs that have a really good eye relief.

An article from B&H- "3) Remember that more eye relief means a narrower field of view, and vice versa.

What’s Eye Relief?

If you wish to use your binocular while wearing eyeglasses or sunglasses, you’ll subsequently need to choose an optic that provides adequate eye relief. Those with thick glasses will likely need at least 15mm of eye relief to be able to still see the entire image created by the binocular. Eye relief adds to the comfort level of all observers, with or without the use of glasses, because you don’t have to constantly press against the optic to see the view.

Why Sacrifice Any Eye Relief?

Nikon 8x32 Binocular B&H# NI8X32VLX Eye relief does not come without a cost, and this is the field of view. You’ll generally find that those models with more eye relief will have a smaller field of view at 1000 yards than similarly priced models with less eye relief. Accomplishing superlative statistics in both categories is an expensive process of optical engineering, and that expense will of course be passed along to the consumer. It is always nice to have a broad viewing area, so decide how much eye relief is necessary for you and buy the binocular that otherwise gives the widest field of view."

A link from another site on eye relief - http://www.eagleoptics.com/articles/technical-guide/understanding-eye-relief-a-closer-look

DON

Thanks Don :)

I do wear a very light prescription glasses that I can go without. I use them only for night vision driving. So u can say I don't need eye relief. Agree about the Brick& mortar store. Wide range is preferred definitely. I'm not an expert in binoculars so here are the stats for the one I have :

Bushnell 10x42 FOV 322 FT/ 1000 yds.

So I guess I need a stronger one with a wider view.

I do wear a very light prescription glasses that I can go without. I use them only for night vision driving. So u can say I don't need eye relief. Agree about the Brick& mortar store. Wide range is preferred definitely. I'm not an expert in binoculars so here are the stats for the one I have :

All binocs have eye relief. The ones that are good for eyeglass wears have longer eye relief. Most people who buy binocs just look at the power of the binocs. There are a lot of other important factors to consider.

I will make another suggestion. Do not try any binocs that are more expensive than you can afford. I made the mistake once of trying out some very very expensive Leitz binoculars. They were worth the money and I have been lusting after them ever since knowing (sob) that I will never own them.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Thebes.

I belong to an optics birding forum where we obsess about optics of all makes, models and sizes. If you don't mind taking off and putting on your glasses, then the eye relief (ER) will be less important. However, if you want to keep your glasses on, 15mm should be the minimum you should look for.

As a glass wearer you want more/long ER 18-22mm is the typical range, better suited for glasses and deep set eyes. But what you don't want is stronger than 10 X unless it is image-stabilized. As you go higher in magnification, your field of view will get narrower, meaning you will need to sweep the binos more to see more width.

As you get higher in strength, unless your objective lenses are also increased, your image will get darker.

So, for a wider FOV you want to have the right amount of ER for yourself plus enough magnification that you have a decent FOV. A wide FOV is going to be larger than 6 degrees. 7-9 degrees is really getting wide.

The 322 FT/ 1000 yds is fairly narrow already and will not improve if you go higher in magnification. What you need to do is either raise your budget and get better bins than Bushnells, or go for some porro-prism binoculars. They will offer you the best bang for your buck and a really 3D image.

You might do well to review this article that already rates and ranks binoculars for birding. I'm pretty sure there will be something in this listing that will meet your need.

Eagle Optics is a great store with good return policies.They also have very knowledgeable customer service people who can properly steer you through the many aspects of buying optics for the long run.

My advice: buy the best quality you can for the most you can afford. If I knew that beforehand, I would have saved myself hundreds of dollars in wasted binocular spend.

Hope this helps!

Canon Binoculars with Image Stabilizers in my opinions are the best if price and weight are no object. Once you use Image Stabilizers you will never go back to ordinary.

Peter

Agreed: I did an Amazon review on my 12x36 pair. And I must say, despite their lack of waterproofing, they are quickly becoming my go-to binoculars because of how much at ease my eyes are when looking through them. :)

Agreed: I did an Amazon review on my 12x36 pair. And I must say, despite their lack of waterproofing, they are quickly becoming my go-to binoculars because of how much at ease my eyes are when looking through them. :)

Thank you so much Tan Tien.

Which bonocs do u use when cruising ? I like to buy from amazon. What do u recommend ?

Thank you so much Tan Tien.

Which binocs do u use when cruising ? I like to buy from amazon. What do u recommend ?

You're welcome Thebes :)

So what is your budget?

I have two: the Canon 12x32 IS IIs for gazing across the ocean for birds and whales. They are a bit bulky however and not waterproof.

My compact, go everywhere highly recommended pair are the Vortex Viper 8x32 HDs but as you can see they are about $600.

If you have a smaller budget, I can recommend a pair that may fit better. I realize that not everyone can spend $600 on their binoculars. But as I've stated before elsewhere on Cruise Critic about binoculars, buy the best you can possibly afford now and they will last you for many, many, cruises and trips to come.

You're welcome Thebes :)

So what is your budget?

I have two: the Canon 12x32 IS IIs for gazing across the ocean for birds and whales. They are a bit bulky however and not waterproof.

My compact, go everywhere highly recommended pair are the Vortex Viper 8x32 HDs but as you can see they are about $600.

If you have a smaller budget, I can recommend a pair that may fit better. I realize that not everyone can spend $600 on their binoculars. But as I've stated before elsewhere on Cruise Critic about binoculars, buy the best you can possibly afford now and they will last you for many, many, cruises and trips to come.

I joule go up to $500.

Where is best to buy the vortex viper you mentioned as your fav ?

I joule go up to $500.

Where is best to buy the vortex viper you mentioned as your fav ?

They are on sale but a bit above $500. Still they are widely regarded as an excellent all around bino. Small, very close focus, bright, sharp, tough, great warranty, etc.

Either here at Eagle Optics

or Amazon.

I've heard good things about Cameraland as well but have not purchased from them.

I didn't have time to read the whole thread so if I repeat ... forgive :)

I'd look into how the binoc is supposed to work in moist circumstances.

On our latest cruises - Any time we took the binocs from the cabin out onto the veranda - the lenses totally fogged up and pretty much stayed that way until the temperature of the binoc adjusted to the outside temp.

It really inhibited our speed in scoping out something cool before it disappeared.

Just a thought .... :)

I didn't have time to read the whole thread so if I repeat ... forgive :)

I'd look into how the binoc is supposed to work in moist circumstances.

On our latest cruises - Any time we took the binocs from the cabin out onto the veranda - the lenses totally fogged up and pretty much stayed that way until the temperature of the binoc adjusted to the outside temp.

It really inhibited our speed in scoping out something cool before it disappeared.

Just a thought .... :)

Agreed Summer! These days, I won't even look at a bino unless it is fog-proof and waterproof (the exception being my Canon Image Stabilized ones because the price would have jumped $1,400 and added lots of weight.

My take is: why spend any money on something that is supposed to last you for years and cut corners on a feature that does not normally cost you much more, and will save you from fogging (especially in cold locations) and moisture penetration (like some tropical locations). At that point, once there is significant fogging, you might as well retire them and get ones that are nitrogen or argon purged and never worry about it again.

I mean: you can get reasonably decent waterproofed/fog-proofed binos for under $100. So why not get something that will last for many cruises not cheap out?

Again: stay away from the gift-shop binoculars! Buy the on ship Nikons if you must, but don't skimp.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app