Binocular Recommendations?

There are good answers to your binoculars question in the Alaska section of the forum, also under the photo and camera discussions section. Cruisers have many opinions as to the best binoculars. You will find specific brand, type and size recommendations.

Wow, that's kind of like asking what camera to bring.

There are all types, quality, power and with prices to match! I have several pair and usually bring my Nikon 10x50 60 degree. They are a bit on the heavy side but I like the power and clarity they provide.

For cruising, weight will be something to remember. Lugging around heavy binocs with all your other stuff can be a pain. There are some nice smaller alternatives of good quality. Go out to Amazon and take a look.

Have fun!

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Alaska and camera forums. Well, at least I know what camera I'm taking! I just wasn't sure if there was a 'most popular' type binocular. With so many selections, the choice can be overwhelming. I agree about not wanting to lug around a big heavy one.

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Alaska and camera forums. Well, at least I know what camera I'm taking! I just wasn't sure if there was a 'most popular' type binocular. With so many selections, the choice can be overwhelming. I agree about not wanting to lug around a big heavy one.

While weight is a consideration, there is very little point in bringing a very small pair of opera glasses or the like. Field of vision and magnification is important, so a 7x50 or 9x50 is probably what you want. Bushnell makes several - you should go to a boating supply store and check out various pairs and see what you like.

We take binoculars everywhere! Especially, to beach destinations....it's nice to look out at the passing boats/ships!

You will find it difficult to see anything small, or anything that is moving quickly...by the time you focus, the thing you want to see is gone!

So, brand doesn't matter....get something that feels good in your hands, doesn't weigh a ton, and that has a broad field of vision!

CC is great for cruise information; not so great for optics information. The fact that someone goes on CC and says that "their binoculars were great" is meaningless as none of us have the knowledge and equipment to determine if a pair of binocs are good nor do we have access to a large selection of binoculars to make comparisons. In fact, most of us do not even have the knowledge to know what binocular specs are important. Would you go on a binocular site to determine what is a good cruise to take?

Use Google to find sites that do reviews of binoculars and use these sites to get your information. There are lots of them.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

• 3 weeks later...

I'd started a thread about this that you might want to check out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43661906

But the first thing you should be aware of is that your budget will dictate lots of things that you decide.

Because good binoculars can literally last you decades, I strongly recommend that you set your budget between $200-$400 but you can also get some really good budget binoculars for $130. I have these and can recommend them highly for those on a really tight budget.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

I've got a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 10x36 Binoculars that I bought to take on my Kenyan safari a couple of years ago. I got the "SHE" edition because it came with a nice carrying case and a good brown coating on it for gripping. I was very happy with them! I loaned them to a co-worker to was going to South Africa with his family - he liked them, too. Worked for large animal sightings and birding for me.

I really like the new Image Stabilization binoculars. Even with the best optics, it can be really hard to hold regular binoculars steady...and add to this a moving ship and it makes the situation worse.

Hank

I really like the new Image Stabilization binoculars. Even with the best optics, it can be really hard to hold regular binoculars steady...and add to this a moving ship and it makes the situation worse.

Hank

Hi Hank much agree! :D

I have a pair of Canon 12x36 IS and LOVE the effect. I'd even sacrificed their waterproof quality to get them. I've taken them on two cruises and my eyes thank me each time. :)

I just read a thread about what people see from their balconies. Please recommend a good pair of binoculars for the cruise. I have a small pair already but am considering the purchase of another.

Go with a small one, but try them out first. Remember the weight.

Go with a small one, but try them out first. Remember the weight.

If you go small (like an 8x21), try reverse-porro models for the best light transmission because they will not be as bright in the dawn or at dusk. But they will be very portable and travel-friendly.

I love mine but do not expect them to perform as well as the bigger models.

• 2 weeks later...
Best = Steiner Marine 7x50

Cheap but decent = West Marine 7x50.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just be aware that 7x50s are heavy. The West Marine's that Flatbush recommends are nearly 2 lbs. So if you get these, get a harness instead of a neck-strap to take the weight off of your neck.