Concierge?

NorthWildwood

We just completed our first Oceania cruise..Riviera in Concierge class. Enjoyed access to the Thalassotherapy pool and concierge lounge, especially. Smaller benefits like earlier access to make restaurant reservations, slight discount on internet pkgs and free pressing of limited number of items provide a nice touch. We thought the few hundred dollars we paid for the A4 category were worth it...not a huge deal, but nice. For Riviera and Marina, Concierge class will be more difficult to obtain at lowest price level A4 beginning in December of this year when many of these "bottom" level Concierge cabins are re categorized to A3.

People will give you different answers! It does depend on what you want.

WE book concierge (and above) because we want more room in the cabin. Not everyone feels that is important. (For example, if you are rarely in your room.)

Do you want to have a butler? Extra reservations? The ability to book reservations earlier?

Asking *US* if it is worth it is probably not very useful. I would suggest that you make a list of the advantages (or disadvantages) of concierge level and then decide if it suits you or not.

I would tell you, yes, it's worth it. Others would say, no, it isn't!

I know this isn't very helpful to you! But this really is a decision you need to make for yourself.

Maybe the first question to ask yourself is if the financial outlay is a problem. If it is, then I would suggest you can be very happy with a non-concierge room.

If money really doesn't matter, then I would go for it.

But only you can make that decision.

Mura

Sailing with Oceania for the first time on the 6/2014 Baltic cruise. Is it worth the upgrade for Concierge level?

Good question. Some say yes, some say no. Because our cabin was directly across the hall from the lounge, it was very convenient for coffee in the morning.

It was nice to make specialty reservations 45 days out. We never used the spa deck or ordered room service.

The concierge himself did not seem to add much. For example when we asked about additional specialty restaurant reservations, all that he could do was open a screen on his computer which showed that all reservations were taken. I am not sure that I would choose concierge level again.

People will give you different answers! It does depend on what you want.

WE book concierge (and above) because we want more room in the cabin. Not everyone feels that is important. (For example, if you are rarely in your room.)

Do you want to have a butler?

Extra reservations? The ability to book reservations earlier?

I would tell you, yes, it's worth it. Others would say, no, it isn't!

I know this isn't very helpful to you! But this really is a decision you need to make for yourself.

Maybe the first question to ask yourself is if the financial outlay is a problem. If it is, then I would suggest you can be very happy with a non-concierge room.

If money really doesn't matter, then I would go for it.

But only you can make that decision.

Mura

( I don't believe these cabins have butlers as they are not suites)

True enough.

But my other comments seem apt ... I think?

We tend to book suites ourselves. But initially we never used the butler. At all. Until I blew out my knee and really needed his services (and not to make reservations). Since then, we have enjoyed the butler's services.

But if people are asking about concierge benefits, no, I wouldn't bring the butler into the question.

I certainly would NOT recommend that people upgrade to a *suite* just to have a butler.

Mura

Whether concierge is worth it is a personal decision and depends whether the beneits are things you will value and use. For me the length of the cruise is the decider. For a longer cruise I would go concierge, but might not see the value on a short one.

My take - which is different

I see no value in it at all

You get no extra space.

I am guaranteed one meal in each specialty restaurant. Time of the meal is unimportant. I have never had a problem getting decent times to eat nor extra reservations (which I care little about anyway and are available to all regardless of stateroom).

There is a concierge on board THAT ANYONE CAN USE - not that I ever use one (except to notify other CCers of a Meet & Greet). I'm not clear on why anyone would need a concierge once on board. My plans are all set way in advance. The ship is very democratic and you can get assistance with anything regardless of your stateroom category.

I would rather pay per day if I want to use the Thalassotherapy pool if I care to use it at all -- with all the ports and vagaries of weather it's far cheaper to pay per day for the identical benefit. Just do the math. And my husband would never use it. He doesn't even bring a bathing suit!

I personally do not see the value in the postage stamp size verandahs either. We just got off a cruise on Celebrity where we had a HUGE verandah with lounge chairs and we used it ONCE -- to take some photos. On Celebrity, however, booking Concierge Class impacts location of prime staterooms and verandah size (hump on S class ships and aft on M class ships) so it does make a difference and adds value.

If I do not want to go to Horizons or the Terrace Cafe to get coffee I can always call room service (which I never use). We like to get out of the cabin. This was true even when we had a penthouse on the Marina. We never used the butler, we never used room service and I think we sat on the verandah once. (of course the closet was to die for LOL)

So for us -- Concierge Class offers no benefit whatsoever.

As you can see, I've done my own analysis as what suits our cruising style. If you do the same, you will reach your own conclusion.

You didn't say if you were travelling on the Nautica or Marina for your Baltic cruise? I would perhaps upgrade to Concierge Class on Marina but not on the Nautica.

Just curious why you would say that

Is it because of the Concierge Lounge on the Marina? Or the larger T pool? What is the distinction in your mind as to why you would on the O ships but not the R ships?

Yes, the larger T pool and the Concierge Lounge on the Marina.

Understood - I was curious as to why you see a distinction. I agree the T pool area on the O ships is much nicer than on the R ships.

My take is different

The C lounge is small, can be crowded (with folks half-dressed LOL) and not very useful (unless you want to escape your cabin mate)-- a lot of $$ to pay for the convenience of a coffee when room service is available 24/7.

To book C class for the T pool is like buying a drink package. You pay even if you don't use it. For many it is way cheaper to pay as you use it -- as you may not get to use the facility at all if you are in port every day or if the weather is bad or if there are other shipboard activities you prefer.

Again, just my take - to each his/her own.

Yes the small money is worth it -- as everybody has a different opinion.

For me the higher deck level is worth the extra money. The concierge is sometimes important. We have used the concierge to get an early tender ticket for an early private tour.

For me the higher deck level is worth the extra money. The concierge is sometimes important. We have used the concierge to get an early tender ticket for an early private tour.

Cabin location issue I understand - which is why i book C class on Celebrity. If the location of the CC cabins is important, it is certainly worth the $$.

As for earlier tender tickets, I have been able to "wangle" without being in CC but I suppose if you have the CC concierge in your corner it's easier. If you have an early private excursion, they do accommodate (ship is democratic). My last cruise on O we had a big problem with tenders in the ONE port we tendered. Despite their policy to the contrary, they were not letting anyone off the ship until all the ship tours left. Many cruisers had private tours and were furious.

I have sailed in Concierge & regular veranda (Rships) & extended veranda (on Marina). I would not pay for concierge again buticon9.gif I would definitely book an ex.balcony again (B3 on Marina&Riv). As for the use of the spa deck & Tpool we charged it on a day to day basis, depending on weather etc. and our OBC covered it on the final bill. As for the Concierge, I plan my own private tours and do not need the service. The lounge is totally unappealing to me (bathrobes :eek:) Most requests we had regarding our room we settled with the room staff, with regards to dining, we settled it with the MaitreD directly and the reception staff took care of any other requests. My general preference is to book a B balcony cabin. If I were offered an upgrade to a PH cabin in a good location I would not refuse, but it's never happened to me.

• Yes we drink the free bottle of champagne or take it to a restaurant and have it switched out for a bottle of wine

• We like to have room service every morning and at concierge level you can order all the hot items for breakfast

• We reserve restaurants early online because we prefer a 2-top and they fill quickly

• We do use the spa deck too

• We send out 2 items each to be pressed free

• We usually grab maps and other info for upcoming ports in the lounge

Here is the list from Oceania

CONCIERGE LEVEL PRIVILEGES

(In Addition to Receiving All Stateroom Amenities)

Priority noon check-in and early embarkation with priority luggage delivery

Exclusive access to private Concierge Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge

Welcome bottle of Champagne

Priority online specialty restaurant and shore excursion reservations

Unlimited access to Canyon Ranch SpaClub® private Spa Terrace

Laptop computer with wireless Internet access+

New for 2013! - Exclusive discounts on internet usage plans

New for 2013! - Complimentary iPad® available for your enjoyment onboard+

Bulgari toiletries

Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag

Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda

Complimentary shoe shine service

Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation++

+Internet usage rates apply

++Certain limitations apply

Where do you find out about who can order hot items for breakfast? Do all cabin categories not receive the same room service options?

Only A cabin cat & above get the HOT breakfast items from room service

Not sure on the other meals for room service if they differ from the lower categories

Only A cabin cat & above get the HOT breakfast items from room service

Not sure on the other meals for room service if they differ from the lower categories

They also differ in that in suites (not sure above what level)you can order from any menus on the ship. This is certainly true for Owners and Vista suites. No longer any need to try to get those extra reservations in specialty restaurants when you can be served on the large tables in these suites.:D

They also differ in that in suites (not sure above what level)you can order from any menus on the ship. This is certainly true for Owners and Vista suites. No longer any need to try to get those extra reservations in specialty restaurants when you can be served on the large tables in these suites.:D

PH and above I believe can order in suite dining from the Specialies

Do you get early tender tickets from concierge class? I thought it only was for suites and above but if for the C class, that would be wonderful. We did do C class on the Riviera in November and I did like the extra distinction (granted it is not that much from the rest) but I did find it better and really loved access to the T pool and Persian Garden type beds. The early tender ticket isa boost. Can you provide any information on how we do this if in C class? We are doing this on a trip from Tahiti next year and it is critical we do need to be on an early tender.

Thanks

Archived