More ships needed for hurricane relief!

eroller

Seatrade Insider reports the MSC (Military Sealift Command) is looking for more passenger ships to help with hurricane relief. Something like a total of 25,000 berths are needed, and currently they have around 8000 with the three Carnival ships and the SCOTIA PRINCE.

Expect more cruise lines to step up to the plate soon.

Ernie

As a teacher I have been following the events on MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN quite closely and I heard the same thing yesterday. FEMA feels that cruise ships are the logical place to create lodging and food service for those who have lost their homes. Cruise ships can feed large numbers and most of the larger ships have lodging for 1500 - 2000 people. They can be docked whereever needed.

Carnival was told that it had to provide ships and really had no choice. Yes they are being paid, but go over and read the posts on the Carnival board to hear how upset passengers are. Luckily for NCL, their ships are either in Hawaii, Alaska or the east coast right now. But in just over a month, the Sun and Dream return to the Gulf Coast and could be likely candidates for takeover. They also could ask NCL to delay the drydock of the Spirit and press her into service as well.

The experts have said that you can only house that many people in the Astrodome for about 4-6 weeks at most and then they will have to have temporary housing until New Orleans can be made livable again. (it will be 4-6 months before the city is even DRIED out!) In addition, FEMA this morning has said that remaining in the city will not be an option, everyone has to leave. That means more people needing places to stay.

Also, it wouldn't be fair to make Carnival the only line to suffer business due to this crisis, so look for the government to go to other lines. With RCCL, Carnival, HAL and NCL having the largest ships, those make more sense. Carnival's ships were "rented" for three months. After that time, will they extend the "lease" or will they take other ships to replace them?? Let us not also forget that NCL has been the beneficiary of recent government actions and incentives in getting NCL America off the ground. Don't be surprised to see the government hit up NCL for a re-payment in the form of ship use.

There are ships that seem to be overlooked, that are seaworthy and can be altered to accommodate people, there are a few old liners too. The 'Ghost Fleet'. There are liberty ships and liners sat idle in many harbours and ports, all of which can be sorted out as they are fully functional at a moments notice in times of war. As things stand, even the most awkward of ships to sort out are better than surviving out in the open with little food and water. Even the old United States could be enrolled into keeping people dry and clean and fed, she maybe past her sell by date but she is complete and would need to just have a power supply hooked up to get her systems working, such as sewage and electricity. There are also a few redundant prison ships that could be pushed into service also, OK they are not the Ritz but when given the choice of a roof over the head and food/water, I doubt too many would pass it up. Carnival can afford, in a way, to lose 3 ships, as they are the largest operator in the world, Cunard, P&O etc are all part of the group. The other independent lines won't find it so easy to 'step up to the plate', they are raising money and donating aid in other ways..all of which is equally important to the ships chartered from Carnival Group.

This is all hearsay. I wouldn`t want anyone to get nervous about their sailings.

Carnival was not forced to provide ships. I can not see how this could happen. They are a corporation that is not even based in the US. They do not pay taxes. Carnival is getting paid for this and they will probably get money for their drydocks on these ships from the govt.

As far as the SS United States......she is a hull and could not possibly be put into service.

IMHO these kind of posts start rumors and may just get people "skittish".

The United States and other ghost ships don't need to be placed into service to be of use in this circumstance. All they require are generators for power to be hooked up on the quayside, basic housekeeping and tidying up. There are ghost fleet ships all over the US and beyond, tied up in bunches in harbour areas, all seaworthy and reuseable if required. They were mothballed for use in times of emergency, this is such an occasion.

The United States was gutted for asbestos removal. She is almost entirely without walls, ceilings...her wiring and plumbing, where they are actually still present, have not been used in almost four decades. She has no functional kitchens. Unfortunately, she has not been maintained by the government, or anyone else for that matter, she just sits rotting in Philadelphia. (Yes, NCL has been looking after what's left of her and paying her docking fees.) It would take an extensive rebuilding to make her even minimally habitable, and that won't help the people of New Orleans. A working ship, or even a recently laid-up ship is what is needed...too bad that with scrap prices so high, many of the suitable large ships in lay-up have gone for scrap in the last two years. How about the Monterey (scheduled now to become MSC's hotel training ship) or the Olympia Voyager and her sister? Surely there are others...maybe Norwegian Sea could be recalled?

Even the old United States could be enrolled into keeping people dry and clean and fed, she maybe past her sell by date but she is complete and would need to just have a power supply hooked up to get her systems working, such as sewage and electricity.

The SS United States is NOT "complete"! She's a bare, gutted out shell. There's NOTHING inside, just bare steel. There's no plumbing, no electrical system, no NOTHING. It would be worse than the Superdome! :eek:

KeystoneCruiser - Carnival was not and could not have been "told" it "had" to provide ships... It was a business deal for Carnival, and a quite nice one at that! They're being paid very well for the use of those older ships!!!

The SS United States is NOT "complete"! She's a bare, gutted out shell. There's NOTHING inside, just bare steel. There's no plumbing, no electrical system, no NOTHING. It would be worse than the Superdome! :eek:

KeystoneCruiser - Carnival was not and could not have been "told" it "had" to provide ships... It was a business deal for Carnival, and a quite nice one at that! They're being paid very well for the use of those older ships!!!

Thank You:D

There seems to be rampant speculation about Carnival........."They are so wonderful"............"What a great move".........."They were forced"........As you said.......a rather nice business deal.

The SS United States has been rusting practically in my "back yard", but I didn`t want to argue with anyone who seems to know:rolleyes:

Philadelphia is prepared to take in about 5,000........they will be here soon. Don`t think Mayor Street is going to put them on the ship:eek: :D

Carnival was not forced to provide ships. I can not see how this could happen. They are a corporation that is not even based in the US. They do not pay taxes. Carnival is getting paid for this and they will probably get money for their drydocks on these ships from the govt.

Absolutely correct. Although, think of the bad publicity for the cruise line that refuses? That could do far more damage then pulling a few ships out of service (under a paid charter) for a six months.

What is not hearsay is that the MSC is actively looking for other ships (25, 000 berths) to be used for relief efforts.

Ernie

Others have pointed outy that the SS US is an empty shell. As for the other old mothballed troop carriers, they in such bad shape that it will take months to make them serviceable. The MSC command only keeps about a dozen ships in reserve that are available for use in weeks. They also have no crews to man them.

It's far better to lease cruise ships that have crews to man the kitchens and man and repair the ship.

It'll take several weeks to get the Sea back from Asia too. NCL doesn't own it anymore either. It will be sailing completely sold out from India this fall. There is no other ship to replace it in India. Forget that idea.

Why do most not understand how the reserves and national guard get mobilized? :(

Absolutely correct. Although, think of the bad publicity for the cruise line that refuses? That could do far more damage then pulling a few ships out of service (under a paid charter) for a six months.

What is not hearsay is that the MSC is actively looking for other ships (25, 000 berths) to be used for relief efforts.

Ernie

I`m not sure if they would get bad publicity, my thoughts are out on that one. If clients think that their cruise could be pulled from under them, that could be bad PR.

The entire Nation is opening their hearts and homes, let us hope they won`t need cruise ships.

Fact: MSNBC reported that government is "looking for additional cruise ships" to use in this disaster. The report went on to say that Texas is offering berths in Houston to use for ships assigned for refugee housing. Sounds to me as if more ships will be pressed into service this way and I for one see nothing wrong with it! I think this is a great way to get quick housing.

As far as companies being able to refuse service: Don't all ships that dock in US ports have to undergo US Coast Guard inspections and Customs inspections?? Mmmm, refusal to cooperate could mean those inspections don't go well or are denied. And what of the NCL America ships? That is an American company. Under the law, the government can seize property during time of natural disaster if it can aide the well being and safety of people. So perhaps the POA and POAm should be taken??

Mark my words: additional ships will be pressed into service.

I'm sure there will be more ships pressed into service...and I think it's wonderful. Can you imagine the look on those people's faces when they are told they will be staying on a ship? I know it's not a cruise...but...they will at least have a cheerful, private environment after what they've been thru. Looking at those convention centers etc...those poor people are in a 'fish bowl' with no kind of privacy for anything. How can they sleep? and shower...or even talk to their families. It's awful....and I pray for them daily.

Happy cruising!

The Norway is without useable enginees(they explode). The Tow to its current location took two months. The US does not have any useful sealift for troops. They fly them to where ever they go and send their equipment by ship. No troop transports period except for the Navy amphibibous ships...which there are not that many of perhaps a division worth. They are part of a quick reaction force and with so many troops tied up in Iraq are critical if something else happens in the world. the Queens both the QM 2 and QE 2 are set up for such transport. ....

The whole point of the US government's involvement in the NCL America program is to provide tourist industry jobs in Hawaii. A condition of the deal is that none of these ships would be used in the Caribbean. I doubt whether the US will rob Peter to pay Paul.

NCL and its parent firm Star Cruises maybe the third largest cruise ship company, but Carnival is number one and has as twice as many ships with just Carnival, they also own Princess, Holland American, Cunard, P&O, Costa, and Aida. Royal Carribean has a fleet as large as Carnival, and its the second largest cruise ship company, and it also owns Celebrity. Surely, before NCL is asked to provide ships, more Carnival and Royal Caribbean will be asked first.

I think one of the reasons why Carnival did the government lease is because without New Orleans and presently Mobile for a while, they had an overcapacity in ships, which couldn't be moved easily and without penalty to other cities and ports. As it is they offered their two oldest ships.... It was easier for them to kill the ships out of New Orleans and Mobile for a while, and concentrate on the two ship program out of Galveston.

NCL has an option to move a ship to Houston, which appears likely without much of a fuss.... NCL does have a working relationship with Houston's food and beverage vendors, their New Orleans vendors are now closed.....

While this may be true. If DOD money or US Merchant money was used(and it was), The US could call upon NCL for these ships to charter. I don't think that the issue of Hawaii tourism would take any prescedent over the Gulf coast problems. US aircraft are also subject to the same "request". The US Flagged vessels would be first. The reason they chose the Carnival ships as they were the closest.

I'm sure there will be more ships pressed into service...and I think it's wonderful. Can you imagine the look on those people's faces when they are told they will be staying on a ship? I know it's not a cruise...but...they will at least have a cheerful, private environment after what they've been thru. Looking at those convention centers etc...those poor people are in a 'fish bowl' with no kind of privacy for anything. How can they sleep? and shower...or even talk to their families. It's awful....and I pray for them daily.

Happy cruising!

wonderful?well....Iam shure not for the ships,they will need a huge renovation after those people leave the ship.Did you see any news on TV???:cool:

Did you see who stayed in there and what they are doing?:confused: don't get me wrong ,yes its awful what happend there,and I fill sorry for most of those people ,but to give 5* cruise ships to loopers and gun holders?Sorry thats too much.

Here's a link to an interesting article from today's Galveston paper that talks about the cruise ships being used for temporary housing: http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=87e6bb7da1a51c9d

According to the report, it's primarily elderly people and their caregivers who will be housed on the ships. I really doubt they were the ones doing the looting!

I do have a question, however, that's been puzzling me. Carnival employees will continue to staff the ships. Since most of the employees depend on tips for the majority of their wages, how will they be paid during this time period?

I just read that a lot of the people don`t want to go:o

If any of you think that this is like "going on a cruise" you are mistaken. This is not going to be luxury..........these are displaced people that are going to displaced again.........if I did not have ALL of my family with me I would be more upset. This is going to be a lot of scared people in a VERY unfamiliar situation.

I shudder to think of another storm and these traumatized persons being more afraid, on a cruise ship:eek:

I think that we need to take off our rose colored glasses on this.

IMHO the infrastructure of the ships can not handle persons unfamiliar with cruise ship "living".

Archived