Vatican help!

cokies

We spent five nights in Rome last year before our cruise. We booked directly with the Vatican and had a wonderful tour guide. I believe this also is the lowest cost option. Ditto for Colosseum. We also were able to see the Pope on Wednesday morning (when He is in residence) Rome is amazingly easy city to walk depending on where your hotel is.

We wrestled with private guides and a private tour (at night) of the Sistine Chapel but are glad we found our own way and had a great time.

Definitely spend time on TAdvisor Rome.

We were just there this past May. We used Through Eternity tours ( recommended on these boards and bynRick,Steves) . We did their five hour VAtican tour. We a

So used them for the Roman Forum, etc. We enjoyed both tours and would highly recommend them. Have a great time.

Highly recommend Federica D'Orazio, she was our personal tour guide VERY reasonably priced. We recommended her to some friends and they also loved her. Excellent English, art history degree, author of a historical book on Rome, charming and professional. Google her.

We booked with http://www.whatalifetours.com

We found them on trip advisor.

Second this recommendation. Carlotta was our tour guide. There was a total of 6 people with one tour guide. We bypassed the entrance line (although we stood in line with other private group tours). She was so passionate about everything she described. Be prepared for a lot of walking, but it's worth every step. She took us to the Sistine Chapel first and then went back thru the Vatican museum. As a result there were only about a dozen other people in the chapel when we were there. Beating the crowds really made a big difference.

We did several trips in Rome, including The Vatican, thru Viator.com. Everything went smoothly and we have since used this company to book other tours around the world. They use local companies that have been vetted.

We also went to Rome a few days early and did a tour of the Vatican gardens which we booked thru the Vatican website. It was given on only on Saturday, I believe, but it was worth it! It was a big group but still quite enjoyable and VERY peaceful. My DH and I saw many behind the scenes parts of the Vatican grounds. What ever you do enjoy!

I have visited Rome twice. First time, I booked a tour of the Vatican Museum (which included St. Peter's, the Gardens, and the Sistine Chapel) through a Shore Excursion. Thoroughly enjoyed what I saw; but, did not enjoy the crowds; finished the tour thinking there was more to be seen.

Second trip, my hotel was on the same side of the Tiber as the Vatican. Easy walking distance to the Museum entrance and I made sure to get there well before opening time. A line had started to form quite early and I was not too far back from the front. Upon entering the Museum and paying the admission, I recall receiving a guide for the gallaries. I used that (or maybe another guide I had--really don't recall, sorry) and proceeded through the complex at my own speed, stepping aside and waiting for the hordes of tour groups going through to pass me, and I 100% enjoyed seeing that which I wanted to see and doing it at my own pace. I spent almost the entire day at the Vatican. And, my first impression of missing things during my first tour was quite correct.

Before this trip, I also had heard about many private guides who provided excellent, detailed tours. I chose not to use this type of service because in college, I chose a Music Appreciation course and not Art Appreciation. I thought such detailed guidance by a personal guide would not be appreciated nor properly understood by me.

By doing this visit on my own, I was able to be in the Sistine Chapel when there were very few others present. I cannot describe what I felt!

We've been to the Vatican museums several times. No matter what you do, be sure it includes an advance reservation so you don't have to stand on that very, very long ticket line.

Last trip we booked with Eternity Tours. We were in a small group with a competent tour guide. The tour was very reasonably priced. We've also done a self guided tour by ordering tickets online, then renting headsets with tape.

The best part of booking via a tour is that you exit through a door on the right rear of the Sistine Chapel that leads you directly to the side door of St. Peter's. If you tour on your own you can blend in with a group as they leave to take this short cut. If you exit the the left door you need to walk all the way around the museum to get to St. Peter's and wait on the long security line to get in. Warning: all large bags are required to be checked prior to entry into the museum, so don't bring any large bags. The check in is on the opposite side of the complex from the entry to St. Peter's. If you have to return to the main entry to retrieve your belongings then you can't take the short cut and will need to take the long way to St. Peter's.

If you are interested in early Roman Catholic history you may want to research the Scavi tour that goes beneath the Vatican. We found this to be fascinating. This tour also leaves you inside St. Peter's.

If you plan to visit the Colloseum consider the Underground Tour. It was great.

We took the official Vatican "Art and Faith" tour which was excellent and led us to the secret door to the Sistine Chapel. But our guide was not allowed to talk in the chapel, and it was wall-to-wall people. We are going back next spring and have booked the Dark Rome "Vatican by Night" tour which will go to the Sistine Chapel when it is relatively empty and our guide will be able to describe the details to us. I'm glad to see that someone above has taken this tour and vouches for it. We were disappointed in the other tour because of the crowds.

By doing this visit on my own, I was able to be in the Sistine Chapel when there were very few others present. I cannot describe what I felt!

If you pick the right tour guide, they know to take you to the Sistine Chapel first and not linger in the galleries. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the indescribable feeling, though. After reading everything I could on how Michelangelo painted the ceiling, reading about the cleaning & restoration, etc. I still wasn't really prepared for the awe I felt at the actual thing itself. It must have been dusty in there because my eyes started to water up. I was going to be embarrassed until I looked over at DW and saw her crying as well.

I must admit that I learned about the "secret door" from the Sistine Chapel before my second visit and I did "blend" into a tour group after I was done marveling at the Chapel. No issues, no one spotted me or said anything, and it was a good short-cut that then allowed me to take my time in St. Peter's. (I also admit that my blood pressure had to be elevated when the Swiss Guard soldier was monitoring the group in which I was "hiding" as we left one venue into the other.)

I must admit that I learned about the "secret door" from the Sistine Chapel before my second visit and I did "blend" into a tour group after I was done marveling at the Chapel. No issues, no one spotted me or said anything, and it was a good short-cut that then allowed me to take my time in St. Peter's. (I also admit that my blood pressure had to be elevated when the Swiss Guard soldier was monitoring the group in which I was "hiding" as we left one venue into the other.)

Very Cheeky.;)

• 1 month later...

If you decide to book with a tour guide - make sure your group is small. I recommend 10 or less people. We just returned from a cruise on the Allure and we spent 3 days in Rome prior to the cruise leaving. We booked a cute rental near the Vatican through VRBO which saved us some money. It was close to the public bus so we could easily get to the Colisseum, etc. It was within walking distance to restaurants and the Vatican. We booked a tour through Dark Rome City Wonders and would not recommend them. Our group size was 20+ although they said it would be less than that. They did help us bypass the lines, but the Vatican is so crowded - it is better to be in a small group. I don't have a group to recommend, but the place is so vast - even with my Rick Steves book - I wouldn't try to do the Vatican on my own. I would buy the audio guide or book a private tour. Our private tour cost $70/ea and included entrance to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel and Basilica.