Hotel suggestions for Singapore?

WorldTravelz

Hello!

Looking for what hotels you've enjoying staying at in Singapore. We are planning to arrive 3 nights before we depart on the Diamond Princess on April 11th next year.

Looking for something clean and comfortable in a nice area to walk around in.

Thanks!

Hello!

Looking for what hotels you've enjoying staying at in Singapore. We are planning to arrive 3 nights before we depart on the Diamond Princess on April 11th next year.

Thanks!

We found the Park Plaza very good, metro station nearby, over the road from Clarke Quay and Chinatown a five minute walk around the corner.

We recently stayed at the Royal Plaza on Scotts Road (pre-cruise)...great hotel and amazing location...look at the many reviews on Trip Advisor...I too was having a hard time with all the many choices and luckily a poster on these boards recommended it...what a wonderful experience thanks to them..so just hoping to return the favor.

Also take the very close and easy to use MRT one evening (we went twice :p) to Lau Pa Sat...for the night time street vender Bar-B-Que...the best Satay ever !!!!!!

Enjoy Singapore a new favorite city of ours :)

Hi worldtravelz

Singapore is a fabulous place to visit. It is very people friendly, safe, easy to travel around and has great food and shopping.

A couple of questions you need to ask when looking to stay in Singapore.

What area would I like to stay in? Cultural, shopping, heritage or Bay Area?

What do I want to spend on my room? Singapore has some amazing hotels, covering all budgets. I am normally a location person, and try to find a hotel in a fabulous location. (Transport, food, interesting sights)

If you can get a map of Singapore, it will help show where the hotel and where all the sights are, and can be a real help.

Do I need pools, wifi, breakfast? Some of the hotel booking sights can help you narrow down the hotels with what you are looking for, then Tripadvisor can help you determine if it's the right hotel for you.

Everyone has their favourites - mine are The Scarlett, in Chinatown, unique style, close to all the colour and bustle, and the Rendevous, in the heart of the heritage area, 10 minute walk from the Raffles and from Orchard Rd. Easy MRT access to all the interesting places Singapore has to offer.

Whatever you decided have a wonderful visit to Singapore and a lovely cruise. Will love to hear where you choose. :D

Edited by wangeling gal

We recently stayed at the Royal Plaza on Scotts Road (pre-cruise)...great hotel and amazing location...look at the many reviews on Trip Advisor...I too was having a hard time with all the many choices and luckily a poster on these boards recommended it...what a wonderful experience thanks to them..so just hoping to return the favor.

Also take the very close and easy to use MRT one evening (we went twice :p) to Lau Pa Sat...for the night time street vender Bar-B-Que...the best Satay ever !!!!!!

Enjoy Singapore a new favorite city of ours :)

We also stayed five nights at the Royal Plaza on Scotts. Excellent hotel for a great price.

Plenty of restaurants nearby from budget to fancy. Close to the MRT.

I would start your search on Trip Advisor.

I say this having stayed in Singapore at the end of a cruise but also having visited there several times and knowing that there are lots of hotels and while its great to see where some have stayed you are getting a very narrow view if you limit yourself to just this board.

Keith

I say this having stayed in Singapore at the end of a cruise but also having visited there several times and knowing that there are lots of hotels and while its great to see where some have stayed you are getting a very narrow view if you limit yourself to just this board.

Keith

Keith,

That is good strategy. Not everyone wants the same thing in a hotel. I used TripAdvisor in my search as well as Kayak for pricing. Also, I checked recommendations on cc.

What I found was that the four our five star hotels in the downtown area of Singapore were about $100 or more a night than what I found in the Orchard Road area a couple of miles from downtown.

Since we stayed a total of six nights, that was a considerable sum.

The Royal Plaza on Scotts is what I would call a four star plus. Price was about $175 per night. Taxis are cheap in Singapore and we didn't use the MRT at all, even though it was close by. We saved tons of money eating at excellent local food places for $6 per meal. We walk a lot at home, so we walked to the Botanical Gardens and walked back from downtown a couple of times.

One thing, Royal Plaza on Scotts offers a free mini-bar. That is true, but there is no alcohol in the mini-bar, but plenty of juice, sodas and bottled water.

Keith

The OP did ask what hotels we've enjoyed staying at, which is why people have given their suggestions. People have also given their reasons for liking the hotels they suggested.

They have started with CC, and I'm sure they will expand their search now they have got a basic idea on what to look for.

It has been suggested for them to use other travel sites and even hotel search websites to help narrow down their choice.

All the suggestions given so far are good suggestions. It depends on where you want to be.

I do like Royal Plaza, and here is a video of its surroundings.

[YOUTUBE]EPUXn3coyWE[/YOUTUBE]

The nearest MRT station is Orchard, which has a beautiful mall. It has a nice food court at the basement.

[YOUTUBE]mkT0n7VxkWk[/YOUTUBE]

A walk around Orchard ION.

[YOUTUBE]P069Vu730x0[/YOUTUBE]

A walk from outside Orchard MRT to Somerset MRT.

[YOUTUBE]jpaJ_LBNYvE[/YOUTUBE]

Hello!

Thanks!

We are also on the Diamond, arriving early AM Saturday. We are staying at the budget friendly Ibis on Bencoolen, near Little India. TripAdvisor is a good resource, if you know which reviews to ignore:)

Mandarin Oriental at Marina Square - wonderful view, super convenient location and incredible service!

I second this for Marina Mandarin! It was our first time in Singapore and we stayed here after our cruise in January. Fantastic location, with an amazing mall and the MRT directly underneath. Room was amazing as was the service.

Starting to research now for a trip next year (it's never too early, right? Nov-Dec 2016 on Azamara, embarking in Singapore so we'll spend at least a couple days there since we've not yet been) I imagine budget is an issue for many of us, and the OP didn't give a budget. I would love the Mandarin Oriental, but $400 a night for a hotel room is more than I want to spend. I like the looks of the Royal Plaza and have bookmarked that for future research (and yes, TA is bookmarked all over the place:p)

We stayed at the Swissotel The Stamford before the cruise and it was also great! We joined their online club and received quite a discount as well as a free upgrade and massages. As we hadn't been to Singapore before we wanted to try different hotels. The view was snagging as was the location and service.

I second this for Marina Mandarin! It was our first time in Singapore and we stayed here after our cruise in January. Fantastic location, with an amazing mall and the MRT directly underneath. Room was amazing as was the service.

Marina Mandarin is a good choice by most measures. That place is one big shopping mall with so many underground complexes that even locals get lost.

This video gives you a glimpse of how the Marina Mandarin hotel is integrated with the Marina Square mall.

[YOUTUBE]6qqm4kECCeg[/YOUTUBE]

Another video of the Marina Square Mall, but this time I went to the Pan Pacific. They are all connected.

[YOUTUBE]gAXTI2UaE2I[/YOUTUBE]

Pan Pacific Hotel, I take a walk through Marina Square mall all the way to Esplanade MRT station.

[YOUTUBE]gAXTI2UaE2I[/YOUTUBE]

We stayed at the Swissotel The Stamford before the cruise and it was also great! We joined their online club and received quite a discount as well as a free upgrade and massages. As we hadn't been to Singapore before we wanted to try different hotels. The view was snagging as was the location and service.

Nice! The hotel is very central, sits on top of City Hall MRT station.

This video is taken from the office tower beside the Swissotel from thirty-something stories. Gives you an idea of the views you can get, assuming you get a high enough floor.

[YOUTUBE]So-znkXmg9E[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Fairmont in a club room. The club lounge was exceptional with free flowing Moet all evening and a generous buffet which was more than enough for dinner. You also have the option to have breakfast around the pool

which was fantastic. Its on the Hop on Hop off bus route, opposite Raffles and had an enormous shopping mall and food court below it. Great service and wonderful views. Free internet if you join their loyalty club. Not cheap but we though it was excellent value. Staying there again next year.

I've booked us at the Fairmont for now. Glad to hear the person above enjoyed it. I was also looking at the Conrad which is nearby but is a little more expensive. Any opinions as to whether the Conrad would be worth another $40 or so /night? From tabath1's post the Fairmont sounds pretty hard to beat.

Edited by ajaxup

We will be first time visitors to Singapore where will will spend 3 nights before going on a cruise that leaves from the Harbor Front terminal. We will be using points(we are Hilton gold members), which are the same for both places. I am trying to decide which place is the best to stay in for sightseeing, food, and ease of shuttle service from the airport and transportation to the cruise terminal. Any input is appreciated.