Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

I retired Oct 31, 2012 we sold everything! No home or storage and have been traveling the world ever since.

My wife started writing a blog in March 2012, as and how we prepared to do this. It's become a daily blog with photos.

We're booked out until 10/31/2017 which would be our 5th anniversary of retirement. With a few gaps still to fill.

The link is.

http://www.worldwidewaftage.com

Edited by tomworldwidewaftage

Just announced April 29, 2016 as my "retirement" date. Don't want to stop working but my body is telling me it's time to stop doing this job. 23 years is a good run. Time to explore, take journey's, fly fish, and cruise to Barbados.

Read52, some of my grandsons are in the gifted area too, and are in some higher area classes for some of the subjects.

I heard a couple people here recently where their children/grandchildren were going to school, that the math is nothing like it used to be, and it is harder for parents to work with the children on it. I'm glad I'm through that stage. :)

Read52, some of my grandsons are in the gifted area too, and are in some higher area classes for some of the subjects.

I heard a couple people here recently where their children/grandchildren were going to school, that the math is nothing like it used to be, and it is harder for parents to work with the children on it. I'm glad I'm through that stage. :)

Yes, math is being explained in a different way. They want kids to understand how and why they got an answer not just a memorized answer. If you can't remember a math fact they want you to be able to find the answer in another way. I think it can work both ways. But I know if frustrates my other son when his daughter brings home some math papers. She is in second grade. She brought home a paper that said 0/17 because although she had to right answers for each simple addition problem, she did not circle the right number of sticks to solve each problem. I would have given the paper back to her to finish not mark it all wrong.

Yes, math is being explained in a different way. They want kids to understand how and why they got an answer not just a memorized answer. If you can't remember a math fact they want you to be able to find the answer in another way. I think it can work both ways. But I know if frustrates my other son when his daughter brings home some math papers. She is in second grade. She brought home a paper that said 0/17 because although she had to right answers for each simple addition problem, she did not circle the right number of sticks to solve each problem. I would have given the paper back to her to finish not mark it all wrong.

Shirley...I would have given it back too. What an uncaring teacher, in MHO. I don't miss that common core math at all!!!

On a better note, I just got back from a 14 day repo with Janice. It was really relaxing and we saw new islands we had never been to before!!!!:) Retirement is nice!!! (There were only 17 kids on the whole ship.)

Shirley...I would have given it back too. What an uncaring teacher, in MHO. I don't miss that common core math at all!!!

On a better note, I just got back from a 14 day repo with Janice. It was really relaxing and we saw new islands we had never been to before!!!!:) Retirement is nice!!! (There were only 17 kids on the whole ship.)

I see you and Janice have quite a few cruises under your belt and a few more to come. Glad that you are enjoying retirement. It will happen some day for me. We are going back to WI for Thanksgiving break because my brother-in-law found out about 7 weeks ago that he has stage 4 lung cancer. He is 59.

I see you and Janice have quite a few cruises under your belt and a few more to come. Glad that you are enjoying retirement. It will happen some day for me. We are going back to WI for Thanksgiving break because my brother-in-law found out about 7 weeks ago that he has stage 4 lung cancer. He is 59.

So sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. He is so young.):

Hi Deb, glad to see retirement is agreeing with you. Enjoying our retirement too!

We too just returned from a 14 night reposition cruise on the Serenade OTS from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale - this was our retirement gift to us. Fab cruise, a bit cold up north but absolutely beautiful cities and countryside. We only saw 6 kids under school age on our cruise, and I think I saw one teenage girl - poor thing, no one to hang with.

Hi Deb, glad to see retirement is agreeing with you. Enjoying our retirement too!

We too just returned from a 14 night reposition cruise on the Serenade OTS from Quebec to Fort Lauderdale - this was our retirement gift to us. Fab cruise, a bit cold up north but absolutely beautiful cities and countryside. We only saw 6 kids under school age on our cruise, and I think I saw one teenage girl - poor thing, no one to hang with.

I bet that was a nice cruise. We went from Boston to New Orleans. We live close to N.O. so it worked out well for us. We hit 7 islands and 4 were new to us. I have a 5 day "regular trip" just to Quebec. I was there for a day one time and it just wasn't long enough. Only reason I'm able to do this is because I volunteered to be bumped off a flight for $800 because I didn't have to be at work on the following day which was a Monday. I booked 1st class to Quebec for $1100. I'm looking forward to having first class too!!:)

• 1 month later...

Not real busy, which I like a lot. Going on a Mardi Gras cruise out of N.O. on Feb. 7!! I'm in countdown mode!:) (Yes retirement is great) As of yesterday I've been retired a year. Tahoemc, you must be too! Didn't we retire right about the same time???

Not real busy, which I like a lot. Going on a Mardi Gras cruise out of N.O. on Feb. 7!! I'm in countdown mode!:) (Yes retirement is great) As of yesterday I've been retired a year. Tahoemc, you must be too! Didn't we retire right about the same time???

Hi Deb, yup, your recollection is correct, within a day or two if I recall correctly. Our last day was Jan 20, so 1 yr and a week. Have a great cruise, a mardi gras theme would be fun! Which ship you on?

NCL Dawn!:) We are spending the night in New Orleans and going see 3 Mardi Gras parades then next day the cruise. The ship usually has a parade through it and if you have beads (which we will) you can walk in the parade and throw them.:)

Edited by zlacruising