St. Kitts - what to do?

cweed

We are visiting St. Kitts on our cruise on Navigator of the Seas. Could anyone recommend a shore excursion for four seniors? OR, is there places to walk to from the ship dock i.e. shops, restaurants, beaches that we could do perhaps after a tour of the island? Thank you for your help.

We are visiting St. Kitts on our cruise on Navigator of the Seas. Could anyone recommend a shore excursion for four seniors? OR, is there places to walk to from the ship dock i.e. shops, restaurants, beaches that we could do perhaps after a tour of the island? Thank you for your help.

There are many shops within walking distance of the pier. We usually take a taxi to Cockleshell Beach, and the ride is very picturesque.

You may also want to post in the ports of call forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=428

My wife and I are mid 60s, in pretty good shape. We did the train that goes around the island and enjoyed it. It offers 2 levels with a seat for all passengers on both levels. Lower level is air conditioned and all windows for viewing, upper level is open air with a canopy top.

We took the train tour also through the ship. The narration was wonderful. Also were very entertained by the natives singing and making and serving Pina Coladas.

We usually do not take ship's tour but this one I would highly recommend if offered .

We took the train tour also through the ship. The narration was wonderful. Also were very entertained by the natives singing and making and serving Pina Coladas.

We usually do not take ship's tour but this one I would highly recommend if offered .

We too highly recommend taking the Sugar Cane train. I would suggest that you book the excursion for the morning trip and not the second trip. The morning temperatures were tolerable but borderline too warm especially if the sun is out. The passenger cars are narrow guage and double decker. 90% of the people opt for the top open leven to get a little breeze. Yes the entertainment was very nice the unlimited "beverages" was cordial. Three quarters through the ride the mop closet toilet ran out of water for flushing, same with tp, so bring your own travel tissues for that. You WILL need to use it after 1 or 2 drinks. The bus ride was certainly much shorter on the early run the afternoon run the busses take you to the other side of the island where the train comes back to the originating station then another bus ride back to the pier. It's a poor country from what you'll see, a lot of goats and some horses dot the countryside. Enjoy the train ride it's an EXCELLENT alternative to going to a beach.

Well ... I'm a senior, too. My choice was the zipline excursion (booked through the ship) and there were two sisters in the group who were older than me. I had a great time. Of all the things we did on that cruise, that one was my second favorite ... the Baths at Virgin Gorda came in first.

If mobility is not an issue I recommend the fort also.

Usually there will be tours that have the fort and Romney Manor (gardens) together. Next time I go to St. Kitts I want to take the tour by train around the island.

I looked up Romney Manor on Google maps and 2 locations came up - one near the city and one north. We want to go to the one with the batik shop. Does anyone know which one that is and do we just tell the taxi driver and they will know where to take us? Thanks.

Edited by NYOB