Acropolis - DIY or guided tour?

LindaAndBillTravel

It's really a question that only you can answer...

There is a lot more on the Acropolis than just the Parthenon. There are several other important temples and buildings, a theater (that may be the oldest known), and more. Onsite signage is pretty sparse.

If you are the type who will do some research and reading before you get there, who will bring a good guidebook (or a podcast, such as the ones offered by Rick Steves) and who will take the time to read/listen and take in what you are seeing, then you don't really need a guide.

If you are the type who only wants to go up, see the ruins, snap a few photos, and move on to the next sight or a good lunch, then you don't really need a guide.

If you don't fall into either of these extremes, then a guide would probably be worthwhile, but again it's a decision that's up to you.

We did the Guidebook/podcast route. We also used a private taxi tour but no guide. We enjoyed the ability to explore the site. We were very interested. If we came upon a section that interested us, we looked up more information. But we didn't need to stand in the hot sun for a lecture. If I wanted a tour, I would couple a taxi tour, with a personal guide. This way tour experience would be personal to your interests. Of course the Parthenon is amazing. But we had a more personal connection standing upon the rock where Paul preached, or seeing the theater still intact at the bottom. I wouldn't want to experience the Accropolis as a herd, and be forced into listening to what the guide felt was the most important. Jmo

We organized a private tour with "Athen Walks". I anticpated that the Acropolis would be the "key attraction" on our cruise and while I did some prep, I knew members of our party did not. I wanted the visit to be educational and not just another site of ruins. With the private tour, we navigated through the site quicker and was able to ask questions that interested us. The guide allowed us to tailor the tour and omit the museum for us to do on our own. We managed to fit the Acropolis, the Agora, and a walk through the Plaka to the museum in 4.5 hours. During the walk, we discussed lifestyle, economy, politics, and anything else we could come up with. After leaving the guide, we spent a hour at the plaka and another hour+ at the museum before heading back to the ship. It cost the same as the ship's tour but we got so much more info and time.

• 2 weeks later...
We organized a private tour with "Athen Walks". I anticpated that the Acropolis would be the "key attraction" on our cruise and while I did some prep, I knew members of our party did not. I wanted the visit to be educational and not just another site of ruins. With the private tour, we navigated through the site quicker and was able to ask questions that interested us. The guide allowed us to tailor the tour and omit the museum for us to do on our own. We managed to fit the Acropolis, the Agora, and a walk through the Plaka to the museum in 4.5 hours. During the walk, we discussed lifestyle, economy, politics, and anything else we could come up with. After leaving the guide, we spent a hour at the plaka and another hour+ at the museum before heading back to the ship. It cost the same as the ship's tour but we got so much more info and time.

This sounds interesting. Did you take a taxi or a bus to meet up the guide? Was it difficult to find the meeting spot?

I don't know how helpful this will be for you, but this is the walking tour I planned for my husband and I. We have a whole day set aside for this. The green line metro stops pretty close to the Acropolis. I don't remember what the walk around the loop would be. The order was the most efficient route I could come up with.

I'm graduating with my BA in Art History this spring, and even with multiple classes covering the Acropolis, I still plan on looking up some info on these sites to bring with.

Screenshot_2016-04-04-21-46-48.png

This sounds interesting. Did you take a taxi or a bus to meet up the guide? Was it difficult to find the meeting spot?

I did some research and was going to take the bus or a cab but with 4 people, the savings vs the inconvienance was not that great. We had Athen Walks do all the arrangements. We paid $90eu per couple for the walking tour and $25eu per couple for the transportation allowing us to stay at the Acropolis till 1.5 hours before all aboard. We felt 1.5 hrs. was more than enough time should a problem arise.

When we disembarked there was a driver with a sign listing our names and we got into his Mercedes cab for the drive into Athens. We were early so he stopped along the way and showed us some sights. We met the guide and discussed what we wanted. I wanted the 4 hours to focus on the Parthenon and Agora with a walk through the Plaka to the museum. We wanted to do the museum and Plaka with our free time so that we could get as much knowledge from the guide regarding the ruins as possible.

We used up the 4 hours at the Parthenon and Agora but she stayed with us for the walk to the museum through the Plaka. At the museum, she pointed out where we were to meet and at what time. We tried to "tip" her but she refused and wished us a return to Greece and to pass our experiences on. She accepted the $180eu from the group and we went on to explore the museum.

At 4:30 we went to the meeting point and a driver with the sign was waiting for us. We arrived back at the ship within 30 minutes and paid the driver the $50eu for the group.

The cost of all this was just a few $eu cheaper than the ship's excursion but with a private tour we could navigate through the sights quickly and see/learn more. We also did the museum on "our time" vs. the time alotted by the excursion. The ships excursion was listed as 5+ hrs and we spent almost 8 hrs off the ship. I also liked the fact that we paid the guide afterwards and the drivers only after the return trip. (if he didn't show, neither driver would get paid)

It was a safe and educational way to see the Acropolis area. For me, without the commentary and stories the ruins are just another pile of rocks. (though beautiful ones):)

Edited by lamchops

Athens is very easy to do on your own. Walk from the port of Pireaus to the train (metro does not go to port). Get your 1.45 euro ticket and get off in Monistriaki. Make a right out of the train station and take the hop on/hop off "choo-choo train) around the site (six euros). Traffic is a nightmare, the train is great, travel light, and secure your belongings.

Edited by Breezeon59

We will be in Athens for a couple of days post-cruise, and I'm not sure if it is worth getting a guide for the Acropolis or not. I am not necessarily trying to save money by not hiring a guide, not I don't want to feel like I threw money away if I do.

All comes down to what kind of personal experience you want when visiting places like this.

These days on the WWW there is just so much information and so simple to download lots of free stuff, but then there is the personal aspect.

If you score a good guide the interaction of questions, stories and trivia can add to a timeless experience versus the generic / cheaper podcast or guide book.

YMMV as to quality of the guide, while on cruise we had average guide in Athens but great ones in Rome and Istanbul and Ephesus so again do research carefully if that is the route you go..

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to get input regarding walking tours during the summer months? We will be in Athens in late July and I've heard it's really hot! Would anyone NOT recommend a walking tour during the hot summer months???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would like to get input regarding walking tours during the summer months? We will be in Athens in late July and I've heard it's really hot! Would anyone NOT recommend a walking tour during the hot summer months???

We were there in July. I would recommend getting to the Acropolis as soon as it opens to beat both the heat and the crowds. We took a private taxi tour but you can take public transportation also. Getting there first thing is the most important thing

We were there in July. I would recommend getting to the Acropolis as soon as it opens to beat both the heat and the crowds. We took a private taxi tour but you can take public transportation also. Getting there first thing is the most important thing

Thank you!

I much prefer to visit any archaeological site with just a good book! It means that you can go at your on pace and spend time where you want to be. My children also enjoy the exploration aspect.

You could easily spend at least half a day at the acropolis alone if you wanted to.

A few years ago we started a cruise in Athens and so had a few days there beforehand - the first day we simply visited the acropolis and the new museum, which is well worth a visit in my opinion.

Last year we visited Athen on a cruise and we simply visited the agora.

One tip is that you can buy combined tickets for more than one site and so it makes sense to buy it from one of the quieter ones in order to avoid queues. I can see if I can find any more information if anybody is interested.