Princess - Overnight Disembarkation in Hawaii

Zoning out

My wife and I are looking at several Princess Cruises that leave the west coast of the US and visit several Hawaiian Islands over about 4 days and then return to the mainland. As we have friends on Maui, we'd like to disembark at the first island and spend 2-3 days with them, rejoining the ship at another Hawaiian port before it leaves Hawaii, but obviously at a different port. Does Princess allow this?

A couple of years ago, I asked a similar question. I was told by the cruise line that the answer is "No." We were told that you will be fined as well if you did this. Every patron must be accounted for at every port. I would call Princess to verify. Good luck. This is our favorite cruise. Enjoy your sea days!

My wife and I are looking at several Princess Cruises that leave the west coast of the US and visit several Hawaiian Islands over about 4 days and then return to the mainland. As we have friends on Maui, we'd like to disembark at the first island and spend 2-3 days with them, rejoining the ship at another Hawaiian port before it leaves Hawaii, but obviously at a different port. Does Princess allow this?

Quick answer NO.

Tony

No, this would be a violation of the PVSA. Resulting in a $300 per person fine being assessed against Princess (and passed on to you via your onboard account) per violation. Is it worth $1200 to you to be able to do this?

Edited by Shmoo here

No, this would be a violation of the PVSA. Resulting in a $300 per person fine being assessed against Princess (and passed on to you via your onboard account) per violation. Is it worth $1200 to you to be able to do this?

in addition, the cruise line can't give you permission to do this.

You could find a cruise that ends in Hawaii. Many start or end in Hawaii at the beginning or end of Alaska season- April/May then August/September.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The violation is that in effect you are disembarking the ship in Hawaii and that would mean Princess transported you from one USA port to another without a stop at a distant foreign port.

Then in a second violation, you are embarking in a (different Hawaii) port and being brought back to the USA mainland without stopping at a distant foreign port.

The ship is the entity that is fined for the PVSA violation for which they then charge the passenger. They cannot and will not violate the PVSA.

If you decide to go ahead and take your chances without notifying Princess, it'll be a very expensive overnight. You will not be allowed to re-board the ship so in addition to the PVSA violation fine, you'll be left behind and have to make your own arrangements to fly back home.

Actually, it is possible to not violate the PVSA - just book a cruise leaving from Vancouver. But Princess still may not let you get off mid-cruise for a few days because you might not get back on, which would be a violation. Thought I saw some one-ways, but just looked and not seeing any for the next few years.

Carnival has one-ways every year, currently on the Legend. Long (9+ days) Carnival cruises are just as 'boring' as Princess cruises of the same length.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgkoch viewpost.gif

Actually, it is possible to not violate the PVSA - just book a cruise leaving from Vancouver. But Princess still may not let you get off mid-cruise for a few days because you might not get back on, which would be a violation. Thought I saw some one-ways, but just looked and not seeing any for the next few years.

Actually, I believe what the OP is proposing is - for the purposes of PVSA - 2 cruises - Vancouver to Hawaii, Hawaii to Vancouver. Both are allowed by law. Whether Princess would allow it is another question only they could answer.

One consideration is that bad weather could make the ship skip the second stop, especially a consideration at Maui, where Pricess tenders.

Loren

The ship is the entity that is fined for the PVSA violation for which they then charge the passenger. They cannot and will not violate the PVSA.

If you decide to go ahead and take your chances without notifying Princess, it'll be a very expensive overnight. You will not be allowed to re-board the ship so in addition to the PVSA violation fine, you'll be left behind and have to make your own arrangements to fly back home.

And lets not forget the $500.00 PVSA fine that will be levied against your credit card...

Srpilo

Actually, I believe what the OP is proposing is - for the purposes of PVSA - 2 cruises - Vancouver to Hawaii, Hawaii to Vancouver. Both are allowed by law. Whether Princess would allow it is another question only they could answer.

One consideration is that bad weather could make the ship skip the second stop, especially a consideration at Maui, where Pricess tenders.

Loren

^This. While there may be other issues that make Princess refuse to allow it, the theory is sound - even if you got off and did miss the return leg, it would be a legal cruise (Canada-USA). Plus of course if you did get back on at a different Hawaiian port to return to Vancouver this is also a legal USA-Canada cruise.

Since OP is flying from PA, it may cost a bit more for flights to YVR instead of LAX/SF the other common Hawaii RT cruise ports, but it's still basically a cross-country flight of similar length and would make everything legal for US gov't purposes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgkoch viewpost.gif

Loren

No, OP said "Cruises that leave the west coast of the US and visit several Hawaiian Islands" So the cruises would violate the PVSA since they would be embarking in one US city (I'm figuring LA or SF) and getting off in Hawaii. Then reembarking in Hawaii and debarking back in LA/SF. Both illegal under the laws of the PVSA.

And lets not forget the $500.00 PVSA fine that will be levied against your credit card...

Srpilo

I believe the fine is $300 per person per violation. In this case OP and wife (2 people) X 2 illegal cruises @ $300 each = $1200.