Preferred airlines

EliseL

I'm looking at flights Boston to Anchorage for next July. Options are:

Delta to Minneapolis to Anchorage

United to Chicago to Anchorage

Alaska Airlines to Seattle to Anchorage

They are all about the same price and time. Wondering if people have opinions about the airlines or layovers. Why you would choose one over the other.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you are flying first class they should all be decent/good but if flying coach, I would generally avoid United whenever possible. Of all the airlines I've flown, both domestically and internationally, UA generally has been the worst in coach.

Class of cabin aside, O'Hare can be a nightmare for a layover as there always seems to be a delay of some sort when flying from there. The only upside is that it is a major hub so if something does go wrong there are usually many options. Minneapolis is a nice airport [and if your layover is at least 4 hours you can even go to Mall of America as it's quite close on the train] that is much smaller.

I've never flown with Alaska Airlines but they get decent reviews from travel mags/forums, especially their mileage program.

I fly regularly for business and my only advice is avoid O'Hara if possible. Minneapolis is a significant hub for Delta and I believe Alaska Airlines home is at Seattle.

All things being equal I would lean towards Alaska Airlines . Jmho

Hands down - Alaska. Significantly friendlier crew. Decent food (for fee) - I like the cheese and fruit platter. Just a perception but there seems to be a little more room (maybe an inch or two of pitch). If eligible (able to open door) the exit row premium seats are worth it (more room, seats in front don't recline) and you get a free drink. Their on-time stats are decent because they have to deal with all sorts of weather conditions and their fleet is equipped for very low visibility at airports with the right equipment (like Seattle and Anchorage). For longer distance they are all Boeing aircraft (regional are Enbraer and Bombardier) and mostly 737-8 and 737-9. The -9 planes have power outlets at every seat - both 120v and USB. I flew on one of their 737-400 Combis once to Barrow where the front half was cargo and passengers were the back half. Sort of interesting.

And no I don't work for Alaska Airlines. Just a fan. :cool:

Edited by Sequim88

Alaska Airlines has over 15 daily flights between Seattle and Anchorage. If there was any kind of cancelation due to say, a mechanical issue, you’d be more likely to still make it the same day if there were seats available on the next flight.

I've been loyal to United for too long, but my votes would be (and why):

1: Delta. They've solidly demonstrated that they've invested heavily into their infrastructure so they can keep things running better and longer than anyone else in the face of diversity. They stand above all of the rest with regard to highest percentage of flights actually operating; most others just cancel the flight and let everyone deal with the chaos that happens with trying to fit 120-400 people onto the 3 remaining seats per flight to a particular destination, spreading their pain over the next 1-4 days. I'm sure Delta isn't anywhere close to a full 100% of flights operating, but they're way better than the rest.

2: United. They've got one of the densest networks of the majors, so if Chicago is a bust, they still have Newark, Dulles, Houston, Denver, Los Angeles, and San Francisco as options (admittedly you probably can't get to all of them direct from Boston, but I'm sure it's several) before they'd even have to pick up the phone and work with a partner.

3: Alaska. They're good; don't get me wrong. But (admittedly I haven't checked the schedule) they often run only one daily flight from Seattle to their longer-reach sites. Depending on how they schedule it, if the inbound plane is late or not coming, you have no plane, and the next plane comes tomorrow. Depending on how they staff it, if yesterday's inbound crew flies today's outbound crew, an issue with yesterday's flight could impact your outbound unless they fly in a fresh crew with today's inbound. Or, if today's inbound crew is expected to fly out&back, the wrong kinds of delays could impact their duty hours and block them from flying back, and that once-a-day thing again becomes an issue. The same goes for parts - with a denser network like United or Delta, they can fly in the needed parts and make it happen, where Alaska might be stuck trying to buy the part from whichever maintenance supplier they use in Boston (a lot gets outsourced at once-a-day stations, since the outsourcing supplier can keep people working for 8/10/12-hour days).

As someone who now lives in the greater Seattle metro area, I do appreciate that Alaska has an all-Boeing fleet, but that's not enough to move them up in my votes for you. Delta's recent computer snafu is far more than likely a one-off situation, so although it was painful to many, I'd expect it to be less frequent with Delta going forward than any/many of the others. All the best whatever you pick!

Don't forget JetBlue. They have been flying a summer time flight from BOS to ANC with a stop (no change of plane) in SEA. Not sure what there sched will look like next summer but it has been leaving Bos around 430p the past couple summers and arrives ANC around 1110p. It's on the ground in SEA less then an hour.

Just to piggy back on this one. We just got back from our Alaska trip. We flew American Airlines and when our connecting flight to Anchorage had to make an emergency landing in Denver, American was going to have us arriving 2 days later after our cruise sailed. Alaska Air got us to Seattle then to Anchorage to catch the cruise and while our bags didn't make it Alaska Air flew them to our next port and coordinated with our cruise line to have them waiting in our rooms by noon that day. They know Alaska, how to get around to all the various cities/ports, have special relationships with the cruise lines and they go the extra mile if necessary.

They saved our vacation for sure.

Alaska is the most service oriented of the airlines that you mention. When I stupidly thought we were flying on a Thursday and the flight was actually on Wednesday so we missed it, Alaska actually rebooked us for free! I about fell over!!

However, we collect United miles so we fly them if they are approximately the same price.

If there is a significant price difference we have no brand loyalty - Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Viv0828

Delta's First/Business class to Anchorage is generaly horrible. Don't spend the extra for it or use the points, just fly economy comfort.

Curious - what's wrong with Delta's First/Business on that route? I was about to book it.

Two reasons I'd look at Alaska -

If you're flying coach, consider getting an Alaska Airlines Visa card (Bank of America) which will give you 25,000 or 30,000 bonus miles in Alaska's frequent flyer program (one of the best - many partners) and an annual $99 companion coupon ($121 after taxes.) One person pays the standard price and the other pays $121 for the same itinerary. Good for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico... (all flights have to be on Alaska "metal," i.e. operated by Alaska.) So a round trip from, say, Boston to Anchorage (or an open-jaw, Boston-Anchorage, Vancouver-Boston) which might cost, say, $500 per person, will instead cost $621 for two, i.e. $310 per person, decent savings. Only good on economy fares, unfortunately. https://www.alaskaair.com/content/credit-card/visa-signature.aspx

If you're flying in first, Alaska's service is generally pretty good, and unlike other domestic airlines, a paid (or mileage) first class ticket gets you access to Alaska's Board Room lounges.

Edited by Gardyloo

Curious - what's wrong with Delta's First/Business on that route? I was about to book it.

Seats are the same width as in coach. They don't recline that much, and are hard as rocks. Check Seat Guru for more info on planes and seating.

I went to check. One is 737. Other leg says Eurocoptor! So, I think Delta must be having another computer thing today.

Off-topic, but ever experienced the United 'BUS'? :) Hint: it "flies" the Newark-Allentown route.

Off-topic, but ever experienced the United 'BUS'? :) Hint: it "flies" the Newark-Allentown route.
Actually YES! I have put two of my kids on that very "flight." They were not impressed.

The seats on my short flight still show a real plane with a real first class. But equipment actually says it is helicopter.

Delta would be my last choice. They are notorious for delayed flights (at least on my flights with them :mad: )

I haven't flown Delta in a while (got loyal to Continental and now United during my days in San Antonio where the Houston hub was oh-so-convenient, and haven't had much reason to switch after moving to Seattle), but I truly think you ought to step back and look at the reasons WHY you end up with delayed flights. Was it weather? If so, Delta is doing you a favor by delaying the flight, as they are potentially limited by time/fuel/range in what they can do around the storm, and potentially limited by regulations that we the people have asked for. Was it maintenance? If so, Delta again is doing the right thing for you by making sure the plane meets legal requirements for safe operation. Delta could easily just cancel these flights, leaving you in the lurch to find a seat on a future flight, but instead they're known for doing a fine job of still flying their flights even if delayed, which is far less disruptive than if they cancel the flights. Delta builds their schedule to minimize cascading delays, much unlike what Southwest tries to do many summers.