Accents

DH & I sitting in a pub in Ireland. Soon as we started talking to each other a group of locals gravitated towards us...Ya Aussies. I confused them greatly when I replied to one of their accomplishments with "good on you". He replied what is a "godunya".

I was recently in Seligman, Arizona and chatting to a store owner about motorcycles. He asked me where I was from and I said Australia. He said he meant where in the US I was from and explained that he picked the Aussie accent but thought I was originally from America but had picked up an accent while in Oz. Hehe.

I am prone to picking pronunciation nuances when I've been in the US, usually so's ahm better understood but mebby ahv gone too farr!:D:eek:

The a couple of weeks later we were chatting to an American couple at dinner and the husband asked where I thought they were from. I was thinking Louisiana but said "from the south" . He replied "Louisiana".

I'm beginning to distinguish from east/west/ NY (some) & south but not sure about midwest and others, yet.

Most Americans I've met seem to pick me as Aussie rather than English.

I find it very funny whenever in NZ airport, there are constant announcements that say 'Don't forget to chicken' (Check-in), it took me a sec to work out exactly what they wanted.:p

Pure GOLD Mic, have to remember that one when I chicken at Auckland enroute Sydney - Auk - LA on 12 November. I don't want 'chups' thrown at me with the 'chicken' at Air NZ. But will probably get all our boarding passes at Sydney AP, where I can understand them, may be.

Plinty uv Lemb served on Air Nu Ziland, choice Bro. I had better shut up or they won't let me on the Boeing 777-300, paid a lot of brass to sit at the front.

Edited by NSWP

I've learnt that when I introduce myself as Mark to Americans I need to emphasise the letter r, otherwise they think my name is Mack! :eek:

Some Americans think my name is 'Marco'instead if Michael, makes for a fun game/conversation.:o

Marco, I like it...@ Marco Polo, he was a cruiser too, just like you Mic. Would he have had a 'Stewart' looking after his cabin? LOL.

Definitely, and back then most of the work of running the ship was done by Manual

:rolleyes:

Edited by MicCanberra

I enjoy hearing different accents as well, and trying to pick up where they are from without them telling me. :D

The one thing I do regret is that sometimes I find myself putting on someone else's accent and I don't want to cause offense but it seems to happen automatically, especially if they are having trouble understanding me.:o

There must be a name for this, I used to do this too and had to consciously train myself out of it.

In primary school a girl came to our school from India, she couldn't speak a word of English initially but quickly learnt. Every time I spoke to her I would talk in a perfect Indian accent. But I had no idea I was doing it! My (terrible) Grade One teacher overheard me and thought I was making fun of her, and she whacked me across the head. I was so confused. (She also sat at her desk in the classroom smoking, and this was 1981..). Mum said I would answer the phone in Australian "hello?" and then start talking in Indian "oooh Sherryn, hello!". Hehe. I had no idea.

There must be a name for this, I used to do this too and had to consciously train myself out of it.

In primary school a girl came to our school from India, she couldn't speak a word of English initially but quickly learnt. Every time I spoke to her I would talk in a perfect Indian accent. But I had no idea I was doing it! My (terrible) Grade One teacher overheard me and thought I was making fun of her, and she whacked me across the head. I was so confused. (She also sat at her desk in the classroom smoking, and this was 1981..). Mum said I would answer the phone in Australian "hello?" and then start talking in Indian "oooh Sherryn, hello!". Hehe. I had no idea.

LOL, there probably is many unofficial names for it (taking the piss, having a go, etc) but as I was trying to help them understand me and not make fun of them, many of those names don't apply.:o

Definitely, and back then most of the work of running the ship was done by Manual

:rolleyes:

Buenos Dias... Senor' Mic, Si, Manual Labour was a very good worker.

Espanol' Excellente ? NO !!!

Edited by NSWP

Buenos Dias... Senor' Mic, Si, Manual Labour was a very good worker.

Espanol' Excellente ? NO !!!

LOL por favour.:D

Que (k) Si © What (Watt)

Managers name is KC Watt.

Saw the play Saturday, very funny and well set.

Que (k) Si © What (Watt)

Managers name is KC Watt.

Saw the play Saturday, very funny and well set.

I am confused Mr Gut...as Pauline would say..'Please Explain? LOL.

Buenos Noches Senor'

Edited by NSWP

Everyone, don't mind him he's from Barcelona.

I now need to watch both series again, I think there may have been something out of almost every episode on stage.

Certainly the deaf lady

Basil the rat

Hotel Insoectors

Don't mention the War

I now need to watch both series again, I think there may have been something out of almost every episode on stage.

Certainly the deaf lady

Basil the rat

Hotel Insoectors

Don't mention the War

Crikey Mr Gut, I am still confused, have to have another glass of Jacobs Creek Riesling. By jove sir, you and I will have to do a cruise together one day, Carnival Corp won't need to contract any loco comedians for the Princess Theatre, we are here. LOL.

Edited by NSWP

Crikey Mr Gut, I am still confused, have to have another glass of Jacobs Creek Riesling.By jove, you and I l have to do a cruise together one day, Carnival Corp won't need to contract any loco comedians for the Princess Theatre, we are here. LOL.

Been to Fawlty Towers uncle Les, so still talking Manuel talk.

Been to Fawlty Towers uncle Les, so still talking Manuel talk.

If you're a trivia buff you will know that only 12 episodes were made. Hard to believe, I know! Series 1 (6 episodes) in 1975 and another 6 in series 2 from 1979.