Hotel recommendation near Universal

CruisingYiayia

We are sailing on Oasis in January, and then spending a couple of days at Universal Studios. Any recommendations for hotels close to Universal?

You'll be there during peak season. Splurge and stay on property to get the fast pass because it is so worth it. You'll cut your line time from two hours to 15 minutes. During season, the fast pass to purchase is $110 per person, per day. By staying in the hotel, you get it free for everyone in the room starting check in through the day you check out.

Sapphire, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, or Portofino Bay are all excellent.

You'll be there during peak season. Splurge and stay on property to get the fast pass because it is so worth it. You'll cut your line time from two hours to 15 minutes. During season, the fast pass to purchase is $110 per person, per day. By staying in the hotel, you get it free for everyone in the room starting check in through the day you check out.

Sapphire, Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, or Portofino Bay are all excellent.

I understand that January is high season in Florida, but not so much at the parks. It really is not that bad during January at the parks if you stay away from the MLK weekend. We were there right before that weekend this year and the crowds were small. But on the weekend it was horrible. I have looked at the crowd calendars and they say crowds are light again after that weekend. We didn't need to be on site to get the fast pass, especially if you are going to be there on a weekday.

So you could save money and stay off site. We stayed at the Hampton Inn closest to Universal. It worked great for us but we were able to stay for free with points. So the price difference was way too much and we didn't feel we needed the fast pass then. One of our family members only had 1 day and was able to hit the main attractions in both parks in that 1 day, a weekday. And we rode the Harry Potter rides, Spiderman, Simpsons, and Transformers several times. Remember the more expensive hotels onsite are the only ones that give you the fast pass. The less expensive ones onsite don't, but they do get you in an hour early. We didn't feel it was worth the extra cost for us for when we were there. It depends on when you are going to be there.

Edited by luv2trvlnow

I understand that January is high season in Florida, but not so much at the parks. It really is not that bad during January at the parks if you stay away from the MLK weekend. We were there right before that weekend this year and the crowds were small. But on the weekend it was horrible. I have looked at the crowd calendars and they say crowds are light again after that weekend. We didn't need to be on site to get the fast pass, especially if you are going to be there on a weekday.

So you could save money and stay off site. We stayed at the Hampton Inn closest to Universal. It worked great for us but we were able to stay for free with points. So the price difference was way too much and we didn't feel we needed the fast pass then. One of our family members only had 1 day and was able to hit the main attractions in both parks in that 1 day, a weekday. And we rode the Harry Potter rides, Spiderman, Simpsons, and Transformers several times. Remember the more expensive hotels onsite are the only ones that give you the fast pass. The less expensive ones onsite don't, but they do get you in an hour early. We didn't feel it was worth the extra cost for us for when we were there. It depends on when you are going to be there.

Thank you for all the information! We will be there the week after MLK weekend, so hopefully there won't be big crowds. We are only planning to stay 2 nights, with 1 day at Universal Studios and we really don't want to spend a lot on a hotel room. We're looking at the Hampton Inn and Hyatt Place.

Thank you for all the information! We will be there the week after MLK weekend, so hopefully there won't be big crowds. We are only planning to stay 2 nights, with 1 day at Universal Studios and we really don't want to spend a lot on a hotel room. We're looking at the Hampton Inn and Hyatt Place.

If you want to check a crowd calendar I have looked at undercovertourist dot com. They have a tab "crowd calendar" and choose Orlando, so you can check the crowd size for the days you will be there. Some of the lowest crowds are on Jan 22-25. They are a 3 or 4 out of 10. When we were there it was a 4 out of 10. And we got a lot done. Just realize if you are there only 1 day you will have to buy a park to park pass to see both parts of Harry Potter or if you want to ride the train. Otherwise you will have to choose just one of the parks.

We stayed at the Hyatt Place a couple of years ago and were happy - close to the park and several dining options nearby.

If you don't care about express pass, I'd take a look at cabana bay onsite. It is adorable 50s theme, great pool, you get early entry to the parks, and there are continuous dedicated buses to city walk (or a nice 1 mile walk). It's about 125 per night. The family suites are really spacious and have a little kitchenette.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Beginning of January, just after the holidays is a great time to go to to parks they are somewhat dead figuratively speaking. Right up until the end fo the month is normally ok too.

We avoid the parks on the busiest days and always go once the majority of tourists have gone home and the kids are back at school. We just walk on the rides and don't have to park miles away in the further back parking garages either.

There are a zilliion places to choose all along I Drive too which shuttle you to the parks but saying that I too would look at staying on site to get the most out of the parks and the perks that come with it.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

We are cruising next year in early Dec and are hoping to spend 2-3 days at the theme parks. We are travelling with young kids (5 and 2 at that time) so hoping to do Universal Studios' two theme parks (for the adults) and possibly Animal Kingdom (for the kids). Would staying onsite at Universal be recommended (more for the express pass than anything else, given that the FastPass for Disney is free)? I am debating between that, staying onsite at Disney or staying at an outside hotel. If we stay onsite at either theme park, is it easy to grab a taxi to and from the other theme park assuming we are not going to drive?

Thank you!

Taxis and uber are easy. The ticket cost for what you have mentioned will be very high because the first two days are priced high at both Disney and universal. After two days, your ticket in the same parks is about 10 bucks a day. (Versus about $100 a day for the first 2 days). So I'd recommend picking one - either Disney or uni-- for your trip.

Taxis and uber are easy. The ticket cost for what you have mentioned will be very high because the first two days are priced high at both Disney and universal. After two days, your ticket in the same parks is about 10 bucks a day. (Versus about $100 a day for the first 2 days). So I'd recommend picking one - either Disney or uni-- for your trip.

Ugh didn't know about this. We badly want to do Universal and the Harry Potter attractions (we are flying 25 hours into Orlando and don't see us re-visiting again for a few years!) but at the same time the kids are young and probably would prefer Animal Kingdom (there are three Disneylands in Asia where we are based so not so concerned about Magic Kingdom per se). Sounds like we should prepare to shell out.

There is a multi pass for universal that will get you into seaworld, which might suffice instead of Disney. Likewise one for Busch gardens, which has great animal attractions.

But you will find a lot to do at uni for your kids. My 5 year old prefers it to Disney.

There is a multi pass for universal that will get you into seaworld, which might suffice instead of Disney. Likewise one for Busch gardens, which has great animal attractions.

But you will find a lot to do at uni for your kids. My 5 year old prefers it to Disney.

This is a very helpful suggestion. Is your 5-year old very tall? I read about all the height restrictions on Universal's rides and got a little concerned. My DD isn't particularly short but I want to make sure she gets her fair share of rides.

He was able to do plenty at 42 inches. He loved despicable me, et, Spider-Man, Simpsons (!), all of seussland, and the shows. When big bro wanted to do coasters with dad we had a blast at feivels playground. It is amazing. Had fun with the hp wands too.

Ugh didn't know about this. We badly want to do Universal and the Harry Potter attractions (we are flying 25 hours into Orlando and don't see us re-visiting again for a few years!) but at the same time the kids are young and probably would prefer Animal Kingdom (there are three Disneylands in Asia where we are based so not so concerned about Magic Kingdom per se). Sounds like we should prepare to shell out.

So, yes, you should prepare to shell out, but you could consider Sea World, which is closer to Universal and has the animal factor.