Barcelona...where to stay

karinad

We'll be getting into BCN late at night, about 10:30pm. Our cruise departs the next day. I know nothing about Barcelona as far as transportation or hotels or how far the airport is from town,

What would be a good plan or where to stay with getting in so late to a foreign town that would be the easiest to deal with just getting off a flight. We wouldn't want to spend a lot of money, especially being we won't be there that long.

We do plan to stay a night or 2 post-cruise.

Thank you in advance! I appreciate any recommendations!

I 'll give it a try and will first say the Las Ramblas area is close to the cruise port and the cab from the airport and to the port won't break the bank.

The three hotels I have stayed at are all good.

Hotel Continental Barcelona - on Las Ramblis and is a great hotel even being "Eclectic" and is inexpensive for Barcelona. It's very Pink.

Royal Ramblas Hotel - very up to date and comfortable. A bit more expensive.

Hotel 1898 - Very nice hotel and very upscale. More exspensive

These hotels will put you within a mile and a half of the ship. Hope this helps some. Look these hotels up on Trip Advisor.

Thanks, Trish or Hank! Do u know about how long it takes to get to one of these hotels from the airport? I guess my thought was getting an airport hotel that has shuttle service, but then I thought that Barcelona is just getting started with their night life that late at night. If we stay in a hotel in town/Las Ramblas, if we wanted to get something to eat there's places that are open.

We were in Barcelona for pre-cruise back in 2001. I don't remember a whole lot about it.

We just got back from Barcelona last week. Stayed 5 nights pre-cruise in an apartment near the Sagada Familia. Three nights post-cruise at the Hotel Lleo on Carrer de Pelai. Busy street, but not as busy as Las Ramblas. Hotel is close to Pl. de Catalunya, Las Ramblas, Universitat metro, and El Raval. We generally avoided Las Ramblas and would slip into El Raval to get anywhere. Easy taxi trip to/from the cruise port, or if you don't have much luggage you can take the metro.

edit - Also the airport bus stop is at the Pl. de Catalunya, two blocks away.

You might also want to look at places in El Raval. Quieter and more interesting than being on Las Ramblas.

Edited by cc_rider

We just got back from Barcelona last week. Stayed 5 nights pre-cruise in an apartment near the Sagada Familia. Three nights post-cruise at the Hotel Lleo on Carrer de Pelai. Busy street, but not as busy as Las Ramblas. Hotel is close to Pl. de Catalunya, Las Ramblas, Universitat metro, and El Raval. We generally avoided Las Ramblas and would slip into El Raval to get anywhere. Easy taxi trip to/from the cruise port, or if you don't have much luggage you can take the metro.

edit - Also the airport bus stop is at the Pl. de Catalunya, two blocks away.

You might also want to look at places in El Raval. Quieter and more interesting than being on Las Ramblas.

Thank you! We stayed a little way up from Las Ramblas when we were there in 2001 at The Granvia (i think). We could easily skip the Ramblas! I will look the area u suggested up.

Trip from the airport is about 35 minutes and should take about an hour to go through customs. If I remember correctly I paid 35 Euros last visit for the cab. The airport bus, which is very close to Las Ramblas , is a bargain to use and about a 35 minutes ride.

Edited by hbrote

Arriving that late at night, adding in baggage claim and customs/immigration and wanting to go to the port the next morning, I'd sure be looking at an airport hotel if it were me. It's about a 30 minute taxi ride to the port the next morning, depending on traffic/day of week. Unless you're real late night people with more energy than I have. :-)

We'll be getting into BCN late at night, about 10:30pm. Our cruise departs the next day. I know nothing about Barcelona as far as transportation or hotels or how far the airport is from town,

What would be a good plan or where to stay with getting in so late to a foreign town that would be the easiest to deal with just getting off a flight. We wouldn't want to spend a lot of money, especially being we won't be there that long.

We do plan to stay a night or 2 post-cruise.

Thank you in advance! I appreciate any recommendations!

The Hotel Regina is quiet and close to Las Rambas for a stroll in the morning.

We booked it with breakfast which was excellent. Short taxi ride to the Pier.

Room 410 has a small balcony to stand out on. Friends have also stayed here and liked the location and ambiance.

Edited by tomko2

We have been to Barcelona a number of times but avoid Ramblas to stay as it is so busy and very noisy almost 24 hours a day.

Last visit we stayed at Hotel Cristal Palace. Located at the far northern end of Ramblas, but on a very quiet street linking the busy areas with shops, bars, cafes and public transport links. Perfect.

However with such a late arrival I'd be looking at an airport hotel for what is only a few hours sleep.

Yes, I think our best bet is to stay at an airport hotel. We might even be staying at one post cruise. We might have to take a flight that leaves at 6:30 a.m. If not, we'll take one of the wonderful suggestions in the posts.

Yes, I think our best bet is to stay at an airport hotel. We might even be staying at one post cruise. We might have to take a flight that leaves at 6:30 a.m. If not, we'll take one of the wonderful suggestions in the posts.

I would suggest you might want to rethink staying at an airport hotel.

Barcelona is a wonderful city and the distance between the airport and a city centre hotel is not huge, you still have all of the hassle to check in and out. Even a 6.30 am flight does not mean that you have to miss an evening in such a great city post cruise.

I have stayed in several areas but the most convenient for the port was at what is now the Crowne Plaza Fira Centre. If you time it right you might be able to see the Magic Fountains before you crash out for the night.

I am thinking that if you are travelling across time zones you may have a little jet lag and find you want to get up really early in the morning. If you are at an airport hotel that you be really boring. If you are in Barcelona you can take an early morning stroll. At the Fira Centre for example you can wander up Montjuic and get some great views of Barcelona and you will get a first glimpse of your ship in the port.

I was in Barcelona last month for an evening and morning pre-cruise and I just fell in love with it (again). I want to share my enthusiasm for this city.

I would suggest you might want to rethink staying at an airport hotel.

Barcelona is a wonderful city and the distance between the airport and a city centre hotel is not huge, you still have all of the hassle to check in and out. Even a 6.30 am flight does not mean that you have to miss an evening in such a great city post cruise.

I have stayed in several areas but the most convenient for the port was at what is now the Crowne Plaza Fira Centre. If you time it right you might be able to see the Magic Fountains before you crash out for the night.

I am thinking that if you are travelling across time zones you may have a little jet lag and find you want to get up really early in the morning. If you are at an airport hotel that you be really boring. If you are in Barcelona you can take an early morning stroll. At the Fira Centre for example you can wander up Montjuic and get some great views of Barcelona and you will get a first glimpse of your ship in the port.

I was in Barcelona last month for an evening and morning pre-cruise and I just fell in love with it (again). I want to share my enthusiasm for this city.

Our flight into BCN we'll be coming from Dublin after touring there for 2-3 days and getting into BCN late. I'm not an early riser and thinking we might want to get a good nights sleep before starting our 10 day port intensive cruise on the Equinox.

I think you're right about the post-cruise. I'm hoping not to have to take the 6:30a.m. flight and whether or not to stay closer to the action and being able to come and go without a taxi.

I did book an airport hotel for our pre-cruise late night arrival at the Salles Hotel Ciutat del Prat. It gets good reviews on Trip Advisor and the package they offered includes transfer from the airport and transfer to the port plus breakfast. I believe with taxes it came to $150. It's a refundable rate and I don't have to pay before we get there.

I'll continue to look for post-cruise and remain open to suggestions if there's any better rates, etc.

• 1 month later...
I did book an airport hotel for our pre-cruise late night arrival at the Salles Hotel Ciutat del Prat. It gets good reviews on Trip Advisor and the package they offered includes transfer from the airport and transfer to the port plus breakfast. I believe with taxes it came to $150. It's a refundable rate and I don't have to pay before we get there.

I'll continue to look for post-cruise and remain open to suggestions if there's any better rates, etc.

I stayed at the Salles Hotel Ciutat del Prat in 2013 and really liked the hotel. The airport/port shuttle was very convenient and the breakfast was delicious. Even though it is in a residential area there are several good local restaurants close to the hotel. Also you can walk a few blocks to the metro station and get to Las Ramblas in 15 minutes.

We liked it so much we booked it again for our transatlantic cruise on NCL Jade in the fall.

I stayed at the Salles Hotel Ciutat del Prat in 2013 and really liked the hotel. The airport/port shuttle was very convenient and the breakfast was delicious. Even though it is in a residential area there are several good local restaurants close to the hotel. Also you can walk a few blocks to the metro station and get to Las Ramblas in 15 minutes.

We liked it so much we booked it again for our transatlantic cruise on NCL Jade in the fall.

Thank you! That's good to know! The pictures look nice and the fact that everything is taken care of, shuttle to the cruise port and airport, is less aggravation for me!

I just booked a one night post-cruise at the Hotel Lleo that someone recommended. I'll still be on the lookout for better deals, though. Our flight is early the next morning, so we won't even be there for breakfast. I just want to be in an area that we could walk around at night since we plan on getting a tour right off the ship the day we disembark.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the hotel recommendation and the good review too....I think we may do this too.. We've been to Barcelona before and are arriving a day ahead of our cruise but on an overnight flight...I notice for 44Euro you can also book an early arrival which we would really like to have.....

Thanks for the hotel recommendation and the good review too....I think we may do this too.. We've been to Barcelona before and are arriving a day ahead of our cruise but on an overnight flight...I notice for 44Euro you can also book an early arrival which we would really like to have.....

Sometimes airport hotels could be a little "iffy". Hopefully, this will be as it says.

Sometimes airport hotels could be a little "iffy". Hopefully, this will be as it says.

Still looking....I read some pretty scary reviews about thieves in the lobby a few times....so will keep it under consideration but not sure anymore..

Edited by Gracie115

The Cotton House

is a comfortable, stylish, artful and welcoming place to stay when in Barcelona. We did 2 nights there before our cruise in July 2016. And you can use your Marriott points there! It is a boutique hotel recently created in an old Cotton Brokerage. Paying tribute to the historic building’s past, a dining room’s walls are lined with bolts of pastel cottons behind glass doors, a sitting room has displays of cotton brokers wares, and cotton - branches - images - references are tastefully placed throughout. While our room was spacious, elegantly appointed and had the “always appreciated” Marriott quality bedding, it was the rooftop terrace that was our favorite feature. It was a candlelit, warm comfortable spot for a drink in the evenings, with an exceptionally friendly and talented bar tender whose specialty is a chocolate martini (not to be missed). By morning, a complimentary breakfast buffet that looked like something out of a magazine was enjoyed there. If we ever have the good fortune to visit Barcelona again, there will be NO question as to where we will be staying.

• 3 months later...
I 'll give it a try and will first say the Las Ramblas area is close to the cruise port and the cab from the airport and to the port won't break the bank.

The three hotels I have stayed at are all good.

Hotel Continental Barcelona - on Las Ramblis and is a great hotel even being "Eclectic" and is inexpensive for Barcelona. It's very Pink.

Royal Ramblas Hotel - very up to date and comfortable. A bit more expensive.

Hotel 1898 - Very nice hotel and very upscale. More exspensive

These hotels will put you within a mile and a half of the ship. Hope this helps some. Look these hotels up on Trip Advisor.

Last time trip we stayed in Hotel 1898 and we LOVED it :)

We did end up staying at the Hotel Continental. It was ok. We had a room in the back, so no noise from the Rambles. The room was sufficient and the bathroom was new and beautiful. The hotel is kept very clean. The rugs need replacement. The staff is very helpful and nice.

I know many have mentioned Hotel Jazz - in fact we booked there based on recommendations found on CC. We loved the hotel. The location was fantastic - with most attractions within reasonable walking distance. We took the airport bus from the hotel and got off at the University stop and walked less than 3 minutes to the hotel. Our room was clean, large and very modern. Likewise with the bathroom. The staff was helpful. We would definitely stay there again.