Costa Maya suggested Day Resorts

mollybax

I have read all the reviews on Maya Chan and it sounds great except for the sea weed or grass in the ocean. Does any one know if there is another place that has the clear blue water of the Carribean without seaweed? I realize any place can have it but some are less prone. Tropicate pictures look like it is more what I would enjoy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We go to the Tropicante.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d1421462-Reviews-Tropicante_Ameri_Mex_Grill-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Will be going back in November. It is pay as you go but our bill is never more than $40. You can get massages on the beach for next to nothing. The owner, Steve, is friendly and will talk your ear off if you want to converse. He lets his customers use his phone in the restaurant to call home at no charge, which I loved.

You do need to take a cab there but its less than 10 minutes and it only cost us $5 each way and that was tip included. There are little shops along there if you want to browse and I did not find anyone pushy.

You can check it out, may not be what your looking for but for us its perfect.

I went to Tropicante in 2013. Was a little bit disappointed.

First off, getting there was a pain. The shuttle to town was apparently bribed by some other business, and the driver ignored everyone's instructions and just "stopped" at the business which bribed him.

It took a near riot by the passengers (led by myself and another like-minded angry middle-aged dad) to get the driver to continue on, drop us off, and give us loose instructions on how to get to Tropicante.

Now, I don't blame any of that on Tropicante itself, but it already started the day off on a sour note.

Tropicante itself was semi-disappointing in that it was just a small stretch of crowded beach roped off. Sure, we got a lounge chair, and there was no cover charge. Those were the upsides. Oh, and the owner Steve was pretty nice. That's another upside.

However:

- Beach wasn't that great. Got deep fairly quickly, water wasn't all that clear, and snorkeling was nonexistent (almost no fish).

- I took a walk down the beach a bit, and found a REALLY polluted section of water, located by the boat docks. So I imagine that Tropicante's water (which is probably 1/3 mile from there) is getting some of that pollution.

- Tropicante's "area" of beach is rather small, and you're sandwiched between a lot of other similar busy places.

- Food at Tropicante was mediocre. Reasonably priced, but mediocre.

- Massage was mediocre. Again, reasonably priced, but mediocre.

Overall, we left there not having spent a lot of money, but also didn't feel like we had a great time or a particularly relaxing day.

With that said, Maya Chan is an expensive tourist trap, and I hear the water there is totally murky and full of sea grass. I'm still not sorry I didn't choose Maya Chan, but if I had to do it over again, I might have just skipped the beach in Costa Maya altogether.

In Costa Maya now they have a tram that takes you straight to the beach and restaurants. It's makes 3 stops along the little street where everything is. One stop (the second/middle one) is right at Big Mama's and Tropicante. It's $2 pp to get there then you grab a taxi for the way back. Both were very easy! They seem to have updated things quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Costa Maya now they have a tram that takes you straight to the beach and restaurants. It's makes 3 stops along the little street where everything is. One stop (the second/middle one) is right at Big Mama's and Tropicante. It's $2 pp to get there then you grab a taxi for the way back. Both were very easy! They seem to have updated things quite a bit.

I think that's the tram I took.

Maybe I just had a bad/corrupt driver.

It was supposed to make 3 stops, but he tried to just make one (at some restaurant which was clearly in cahoots with him), and some employee hopped on board and tried to tell us why we didn't need to go anywhere else.

Finally when we refused and yelled at the driver enough to continue on, he didn't know where Tropicante was (or pretended not to), and dropped us off where he "thought" it might be.

We had to ask people on the street, and walk a few blocks to get there.

Again, I don't blame Tropicante for any of this, but I will say that the "resort" itself was a bit underwhelming, and disappointed me. I had pictured a relaxing beach with clear, shallow water, decent snorkeling, relaxing but cheap massages, and good food at reasonable prices.

That's not at all what I experienced.

Maya Chan looks like a poor value, though, unless you are a big drinker. It gets REALLY expensive to take a family of four there, and that's hard to justify given the seagrass and murky water.

We are sailing out this coming weekend and would like to book Maya Chan but weather forecast is looking like rain. Does anyone know if you get a refund if it rains.

I do not know the official answer to your question, but I doubt they refund just for rain.

It is usually forecast to rain just about every day in the Caribbean. It usually is not a complete washout and is a quick passing shower. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just go enjoy your day.

Dan.

We are sailing out this coming weekend and would like to book Maya Chan but weather forecast is looking like rain. Does anyone know if you get a refund if it rains.

We sail on LOS on October 9, and we've booked with Maya Chan. Here is what is in our documents from them:

"If your ship cancels for any reason, you will receive a full refund. If we are in a named storm or it looks like it will be a rainy day, you will have the option of canceling at the port for a full refund, or joining us for our rainy day schedule. We have protected areas and it rarely rains all day long. Keep in mind, if it is raining at the port, it might not be raining at Maya Chan. Rainy day activities typically include tequila seminars, beer tasting, salsa making, floaty races, and kayak or snorkel tours in the rain. You will have a fun day and get to enjoy food and libations you won’t be finding on your ship. Once you are in a taxi and on your way, there will be no refunds. It rains here a little every day, which is a good thing.

Refunds are processed within ten days of your anticipated arrival date. They will automatically go back into your Paypal account or onto your credit card. For a full disclosure of cancelations and refunds, please refer to your guest instructions or visit our web site at www.mayachanbeach.com."

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Maya Chan last Thursday - loved it!! Staff is amazing and food was great! Only negative is the water, but it didn't stop us from swimming, along with everyone else! We will definitely return when we visit Costa Maya again. Wonderful day that went by way too fast!!

• 1 month later...
Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. Based on the reviews we are going with either Blue Kay or Maya Chan (who ever has a spot available).:D[/quote

We just returned on Nov. 20. I had chosen Blue Kay based on reviews. The trolley stopped just past there and we had to walk back to it, a very short distance. They do stop at the first place and it seemed some people had a ships tour at the first stop. But we did not feel any pressure to get off there. But when I walked back to Blue Kay I found the loungers to be made from wood, 2x4's and they looked very uncomfortable so we did not stay there. Someone else correct me if I am wrong, or went to the wrong place but there were signs that said Blue Kay.

We kept walking down the sidewalk, which is very wide and a nice walk, and then I looked up and we were at Tropicante so we stayed there. No seaweed this day; I think the seaweed is just based on the weather. If there had been a recent storm it would be stirred up. I found the burrito I had to be the best I ever had. So I think the quality of food is dependent on either what you have, or your particular palate. I got the massage on the beach, which wasn't the best I had ever had, but it was only $30 so I thought it was worth it for sure!

The beach is as presented here, lots of restaurants vying for your business and the beach is literally packed with chairs. I was surprised but this is a very small town with few resources so this is how they make their living. Many tried to get us to stop but we were just polite and told them no thanks. I liked the idea of supporting an American that chooses to live there and he employs locals who might not have a job otherwise. His staff could not have been any more accommodating or friendly and spoke English well. I felt comfortable using ice from them as they use purified water.

Steve told us that restaurants there owned by foreigners are subject to a higher level of inspection than native owned restaurants so foreign owned ones would generally be more sanitary. So for that reason and several others we would return to Tropicante. Not saying anything bad about any other place because I have not been to them, just that Costa Maya actually became one of my favorite ports because of the small town local feeling it had. We were the only ship in port that day so it was not too crowded. I think your experience would be different if there were several ships in town.

Yep, with wooden loungers you were at Blue Kay. Go for the hammocks next time.

Glad you had a great experience at Tropicante. Whether or not it's Mex. Gov, inspections behind the service level versus locally owned spots, I can't speak too. But Steve has always ran a top notch place and I think good service and meeting patrons needs is just in his blood. It's what he does and enjoys.

Just got back from Maya Chan and I highly recommend it! This place is a gem in the middle of nowhere. The staff is welcoming and attentive, the food was the best. You have to make a reservation before you go, they only take 70 guests, it's not crowded, they have chairs, a sunbed and a hut ready and waiting for you.

They arrange the taxi service for you to get there and back. The roads are very bumpy, and you are going to think....where the heck am I going, but wait out the 20 minute ride and you will not be disappointed.

Yes, there is seaweed, but they do their best to rake it. Once you get past the seaweed, the ocean was calm, people were paddle boarding, kayaking and having the best time.

Next time we're in Costa Maya - we are definitely going back to Maya Chan!

Thanks for this thread! Convinced me to book Maya Chan so the wife and I can relax on our solo vacation in February. Not huge swimming people, so seaweed isn't an issue for us. Mark with Maya Chan was very easy to get a hold of via email and put us on the books. Now to find something adventurous to do in Roatan, to counteract the relaxation here...

Thanks for this thread! Convinced me to book Maya Chan so the wife and I can relax on our solo vacation in February. Not huge swimming people, so seaweed isn't an issue for us. Mark with Maya Chan was very easy to get a hold of via email and put us on the books. Now to find something adventurous to do in Roatan, to counteract the relaxation here...

We have used Victor Bodden Tours twice in Roatan and we're very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Little French Key was my fav there!