Costa Maya suggested Day Resorts

mollybax

The folks at Maya Chan were fabulous, but just a couple of quick notes--

While they do offer free wifi, not all the assigned spaces are within range of it. If that's important to you, request a spot near the main building.

Another minor thing, and maybe this is just because I am new to drinking recreationally / am a lightweight, but when I asked for a mimosa, they didn't have the makings. I don't think they keep any kind of fizzy wine on hand, or they didn't that day. I tried a pina colada instead, it was very good.

The long drive there goes through a lot of twists and turns, and over makeshift speed bumps made of large ropes. I got more motion sick on the drive there than on the ship.

Just minor details. But the people there were awesome.

We dock at 8 am. Do we need to be out there that early or can we arrange a pick up of say, 10 am?

On the email we received from them it said that the meeting time for Freedom passengers was 8.30-9.30. We went ashore around 9.10am - it is a bit of a walk down the very long pier, then to the meeting place - I would definitely allow 15 mins. We thoroughly enjoyed our day.

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing against Maya Chan or other like upbeat crowds!

Go to back of new cruise port structures, and but ticket transfer to MAHAHUAL! OR TO PARTY HOUSES!

One can just go to OLD TOWN Mahahual, the original fishing village town, and there is beach with shade , chairs tables, and palm trees, and areas in front of the restaurants and shops, just sit in their areas, and they will wait on you hand and foot! Massages available also ! IF you are partying group go to the party houses!!! ............IF you are in for more relaxing and not loud crowds just go to OLD TOWN Mahahual. The party houses are around OLD TOWN also but not in the village .

Just confirmed Maya Chan for our October RCCL cruise. After reading all of the detailed information I received during the booking process, this definitely sounds like the perfect place for us. I especially like the fact that they have 3 dogs and a cat there - yay! I'll get my "pet therapy" while I'm away from my furry baby back home. I was also strongly considering Almaplena, but for the past week I was unable to get to their website. Looking forward to Maya Chan!

Just confirmed Maya Chan for our October RCCL cruise. After reading all of the detailed information I received during the booking process, this definitely sounds like the perfect place for us. I especially like the fact that they have 3 dogs and a cat there - yay! I'll get my "pet therapy" while I'm away from my furry baby back home. I was also strongly considering Almaplena, but for the past week I was unable to get to their website. Looking forward to Maya Chan!

Regarding the beach dogs -- they are friendly but they WILL try to share your rum punch. Not joking.

Regarding the beach dogs -- they are friendly but they WILL try to share your rum punch. Not joking.

That's hilarious!! :) I loved the part in my reservation information that said "if you don't like pets or don't want to be around pets, let us know and we'll refund your money". Love it! I don't want to be around people who don't like pets. I'm just sayin'....... Can't wait for MC, especially while sitting at my desk on a Monday morning!

Don't book anything ahead of time.

Just have the $2 shuttle take you to the start of the beach strip area.

There are many places on the beach.

Walk down to you find a place you like.

They will all be competing for you business...

Almaplena

I agree - Almaplena was great. The beach was fabulous and we had great service and lots of food. Transportation is included. If you want a quiet day then this is the place for you.

Don't book anything ahead of time.

Just have the $2 shuttle take you to the start of the beach strip area.

There are many places on the beach.

Walk down to you find a place you like.

They will all be competing for you business...

There are much nicer beaches at both Maya Chan and Almaplena Eco Resort compared to the beach along the strip in town. Once you have been to Maya Chan or Alma Plena you won't think so much of the beach accessed by the shuttle.

In regards to better beaches which tends to have better sand and clear water?

I am confused as I have seen some pictures where the beach is dirty and water is brown (one of the reasons I avoid Galveston) so was curious for those that have been to the Beach Clubs which tends be better.

I would not wait.

I contacted them in April, 2016 about March, 2017 availability, and they already had 3 sold out dates for the month.

Fortunately, not the day I am visiting.

However, there are 3 ships in port that day, a lot for that port, so I am interested in seeing how it all shakes out.

I believe they are pretty strict about occupancy limits, so I am sure I am better off spending the day there than at the crowded port complex.

If you're sure that's where you want to go, I would go ahead and reserve your spots. They only take a few reservations per day. Per their information provided to me when I made my reservation: "We limit our guest count and only have 16 shade venues."

They have a party booked for the day we are in the port. Any other suggestions? I want a quieter place not something with everyone from the port. A little snorkelling would be nice

Check Almaplena.

http://www.almaplenabeachresort.com/index.htm

Not sure how good the snorkeling is but if they have room it will be a quiet beach, limited # of people. See Mitsugirlys review here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36471643

Check Almaplena.

http://www.almaplenabeachresort.com/index.htm

Not sure how good the snorkeling is but if they have room it will be a quiet beach, limited # of people. See Mitsugirlys review here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36471643

Thanks looks beautiful. Taxi ride sounded a little sketchy tho

Thanks looks beautiful. Taxi ride sounded a little sketchy tho

The taxi ride to both places will be bumpy although I believe to Almaplena you take the highway further south and then cut back to the coast further south.

Do you mean meeting the taxi? Mitsugirly's report was from several years ago and it would be best to check with the resort what the current arrangements are for meeting the taxi. These things change all the time. FWIW we had to walk outside the port and some distance along the road to meet the taxi to Maya Chan, a couple of years ago. It wasn't a problem, other than the rain!

Taxis return you to port entrance on the way back.