ATMs Santiago and Buenos Aires

SWANOZ

Look into Schwab bank. Their debit card so far has worked everywhere I've been with no foreign transaction or ATM fees. Either no fees show up on my statement at all, or they show as debited and then credited right back. Even no charge to use the ship's ATM.

And Schwab's customer service has been exemplary whenever I call with questions. I can deposit to the checking account directly from my "regular" bank, so it's all very easy. And there are bank branches located in many if not most cities, so you can also make deposits in person if you prefer.

I'll find out in a week if it works just as well in S. America. I don't have any reason to think it won't, but I always travel with several forms of payment just in case!

I'll find out in a week if it works just as well in S. America. I don't have any reason to think it won't, but I always travel with several forms of payment just in case!

Just returned from 3 weeks in SA....My Schwab ATM card worked just fine and all my ATM fees were refunded last week.

The only exception was Argentina where every ATM I tried was either out of money or did not work. That is not the fault of Schwab. Suggest you take cash for exchanging to Argentine Pesos. There is a bank branch immediately to the right as you exit customs at EZE.

Oh...there are NO atm's in the Falkland Islands...not even one.

So, I guess I should have said that my Schwab card worked fine in Chile and Peru. LOL :D:rolleyes::)

Thanks for the info on Schwab. I just applied. It still worries me to show up in Ushuaia hoping that the ATMs are stocked and working or that there is a local bank that will exchange US $ for Pesos. But, that apparently is the only option available now since the lone on-line currency provider doesn't seem to sell Argentine Pesos any more. I'm still wondering if it wouldn't be possible to exchange US$ for Argentine Pesos at a currency exchange at SCL when we arrive in Santiago.

Thanks for the info on Schwab. I just applied. It still worries me to show up in Ushuaia hoping that the ATMs are stocked and working or that there is a local bank that will exchange US $ for Pesos. But, that apparently is the only option available now since the lone on-line currency provider doesn't seem to sell Argentine Pesos any more. I'm still wondering if it wouldn't be possible to exchange US$ for Argentine Pesos at a currency exchange at SCL when we arrive in Santiago.

Ushuaia...we did not even try an ATM or bank as we had our local currency from Buenos Aires.

We did DIY for the 'End of the World' train. Taxis took USD, the train took CC and the admission to the National Park (required) only took Pesos (no CC).

A card that will pay for all fees is the Charles Schwab debit card. Just open a brokerage account, and from what I've been told, you can have a zero balance, then you can get a card. Charles Schwab has offices in Australia.

The Schwab card is a two step process. If you only open a brokerage account you will not have access to the ATM card.

After opening the brokerage account you must also open their 'Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking Account'.

You cannot open just the checking account. At present there are no funding requirements for these accounts although I am not sure if they will send cards to an account with a zero balance.

Edited by thinfool

yes- the Schwab ATM card. :)

Thinfool, keeps posting about no funds in Ushuaia, and I will post, the 3 times I have been there this year- I had NO trouble using ATM's there and getting pesos.

Yes and also - again took the train. I frequently mentioned the over 50% savings to other's -who most all continued to choose the higher cost cruise excursion for "safety". $199 vs $70 in November. Interesting when they were walking past me loading on their "cheek to cheek" one way journey when we had 6 people in our car- that holds 18 and we had a wonderful round trip journey.

Ushuaia...we did not even try an ATM or bank as we had our local currency from Buenos Aires.

We did DIY for the 'End of the World' train. Taxis took USD, the train took CC and the admission to the National Park (required) only took Pesos (no CC).

Which is why I'm worried. If the ATMs don't work out, we're in trouble.

yes- the Schwab ATM card. :)

Thinfool, keeps posting about no funds in Ushuaia, and I will post, the 3 times I have been there this year- I had NO trouble using ATM's there and getting pesos.

I had a talk with Thinfool, he doesnt remember saying anything about Ushuaia but freely admits to having problems in Buenos Aires.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

then why would you use it???

I don't. I use cash. I tried using my Citi card in Argentina but Citibank Argentina and Citibank USA are different corporate entities and charge on both ends for withdrawals from their ATM's in Buenos Aires. Lesson learned.

I rely on ATM's in other countries but use cash-only in Argentina.

I do have a Schwab debit card but I have been cautious about using a debit card in Argentina.

Edited by dr__dawggy

Ships do not carry currencies for their ports of call.

HAL Zaandam did last month. We bought Chilean currency on board. Unsure about Argentine, since we were there before the cruise and already had some. The ship would not buy back Argentine currency because it's too volatile for them to risk being stuck with it.

HAL Zaandam did last month. We bought Chilean currency on board. Unsure about Argentine, since we were there before the cruise and already had some. The ship would not buy back Argentine currency because it's too volatile for them to risk being stuck with it.

The Zaandam had no Argentine currency on the December sailings. Only Chilean, and that at a substantial charge.

Just wondering if anyone has experience using ATMs in Santiago and Bueno Aires. How much could you withdraw? Did they have enough money in Them? I have read that people have had trouble in Buenos Aires that most of the ATMs were closed and had no money in them. I have a Citibank debit card. Thanks Jennifer

We were in Buenos Aires last year on a cruise that started there. We spent three days prior to the cruise and everywhere we went, they preferred the US dollar. I did exchange money at the airport, but they will take US dollars.

These cities, including Rio, are all similar:

1. Taxis mostly take local currency but you can pay via credit card by pre-booking at airport or hotel.

2. Many local restaurants and vendors take credit cards and those that don't often take hard currencies such as the US dollar. Credit card acceptance varies by city and country of course but it was widely accepted all over South America. As for paying using US dollars, just make sure your math skills are good as you will need to convert using the exchange rate while negotiating or paying!

3. Local markets, street stands, more obscure off-the-beaten-path places are more likely to accept only local currency.

So the key for any day is:

1. Anticipate your local currency cash needs in advance. For example, if arriving by airplane, decide in advance how you want to pay (i.e. cash or credit card)

2. Use ATMs to withdraw local currency as needed.

3. Avoid buying foreign currency at home or using currency exchange services due to their poor exchange rates and high fees.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Terpnut

The local bank systems charge a fee of about $6 US per transaction. As the max withdrawl (regardless of your card issuer limits) is about $150 (was 2000 pesos, maybe a bit more now). Even if your card issuer waives "foreign" ATM fees (i.e. ATMs of other banks), the Arg system fees will not be waived.

That kind of $6 fee on a $150 transaction is equal to 4 %. The ATM rate you get will not be much higher than (now) 16 pesos to the USD. Consequently, you will be getting 16 pesos - 4% by using the ATM.

If you have a card that does not charge a foreign currency transaction fee, it is advisable to use plastic to pay for local purchases as you will get about 16 pesos per USD that way. However, if the local merchant/ restaurant follows the local custom and gives you a 10% discount for cash, then by all means get cash either at an ATM or better, via a casa de cambia (assuming the merchant will not itself give you the discount paying with USD at a good rate).

Bottom line: in Arg it is best to change USD at a casa de cambio and receive about 16.6 per USD (now...see ambito.com for current exchange rates).

Edited by pmacher61

You need to update your traveling and get ATM cards without fees.

BUDGET QUEEN That may be true to a point. Some credit cards dont't have fees on their end but the bank ATM in the foreign country does!!! So, you are still slammed but only once!!!!

I just read about the Schwab debit card. My apologies .

Edited by Cellagirl