Paying by PayPal

kfarns

Does anyone know if there is a cruise line or travel agency that accepts payment via your pay pal account?

I would be very very cautious paying with Paypal. I was using it for Internet purchases and someone hacked in and charged $2000 to my Paypal account. :eek: Thank God, my financial institution resolved the problem and I did not have to pay but I cancelled my Paypal account. I've heard from others that it is not a secure account to use. I now use a MC account. Just my opinion of course. :)

I would be very very cautious paying with Paypal. I was using it for Internet purchases and someone hacked in and charged $2000 to my Paypal account. :eek: Thank God, my financial institution resolved the problem and I did not have to pay but I cancelled my Paypal account. I've heard from others that it is not a secure account to use. I now use a MC account. Just my opinion of course. :)

I disagree strongly with both your opinion and the assertions you have made about PayPal.

I have found it to be a secure and convenient method of payment for Internet purchases.

I do not believe that it is necessary for you to thank a deity for a process that would have been handled as a matter of course by the PayPal organization.

Scott & Karen

Cruise lines don't accept paypal, nor do they accept things like gift cards for payment.

CaveDiver, you're entitled to give your opinion concerning your experiences with PayPal, just as bjbear does. And I have no idea why using a deity is a problem, but it's something many, many people use often, but mean no disrespect. We've had security problems with PayPal in the past and received very little assistance from the PayPal organization on two occasions.

Why would you use PayPal when you can get a credit card through AARP that gives you three points for every dollar spent on travel. That is like a 3 percent discount on your cruise.

Why do you automatically assume OP is AARP eligible?

. . . I do not believe that it is necessary for you to thank a deity for a process that would have been handled as a matter of course by the PayPal organization . . .

Oh, for God's sake . . . lighten up.

I disagree strongly with both your opinion and the assertions you have made about PayPal.

I have found it to be a secure and convenient method of payment for Internet purchases.

I do not believe that it is necessary for you to thank a deity for a process that would have been handled as a matter of course by the PayPal organization.

Scott & Karen

You are absolutely wrong, we were power sellers on ebay and used to sell about 5000 a month on there and of course paypal is the ebay way.

Paypal has been/was notorious for security breeches. Paypal was/has been notorious for locking up peoples accounts and putting holds on their money.

YES the consumer usually got the money back BUT in most cases people do not have an extra 500 or 600 hanging around while paypal figures out what they did wrong.

We use BoA and when our account got hacked our money was back to us in 48 hours. When our paypal account was hacked to a tune of 3200.00 (and change) it took them almost 30 days to get the funds back to us.

Don't believe me..do a search for issues with paypal..you will be amazed.

Here is a quote from one such site "The biggest criticism of PayPal is that it acts like a bank, but it isn't regulated like one. This means that PayPal offers none of the protection that real banks offer, and it isn't required to maintain any of the security, customer service or dispute resolution services that banks provide. At the same time, PayPal holds large amounts of their customers' money, makes millions of financial transactions and even offers credit and debit cards."

As for the OP

Because we run a business and 90% of our transactions are online we are still unfortunately forced to use paypal (thankfully only about 10% is via paypal the rest is other payment methods). If you are using paypal make sure it is linked to a dummy bank account and make sure it is not set to pull money automatically out of said dummy account. Trust me this will save you a tonne of headache if/when a problem arises.

Also I am not sure why you see the need to pay with paypal but it is what it is. Like suggested log into your paypal account and get a Debit card, you can use it just like any other card, and access the funds in your paypal account anywhere.

Cruise lines don't accept paypal, nor do they accept things like gift cards for payment.

CaveDiver, you're entitled to give your opinion concerning your experiences with PayPal, just as bjbear does. And I have no idea why using a deity is a problem, but it's something many, many people use often, but mean no disrespect. We've had security problems with PayPal in the past and received very little assistance from the PayPal organization on two occasions.

Not totally true. DCL accepts Disney Gift cards (as well as Visa gift cards) for payment.

Guest maddycat
You are absolutely wrong, we were power sellers on ebay and used to sell about 5000 a month on there and of course paypal is the ebay way.

Paypal has been/was notorious for security breeches. Paypal was/has been notorious for locking up peoples accounts and putting holds on their money.

YES the consumer usually got the money back BUT in most cases people do not have an extra 500 or 600 hanging around while paypal figures out what they did wrong.

We use BoA and when our account got hacked our money was back to us in 48 hours. When our paypal account was hacked to a tune of 3200.00 (and change) it took them almost 30 days to get the funds back to us.

Don't believe me..do a search for issues with paypal..you will be amazed.

Here is a quote from one such site "The biggest criticism of PayPal is that it acts like a bank, but it isn't regulated like one. This means that PayPal offers none of the protection that real banks offer, and it isn't required to maintain any of the security, customer service or dispute resolution services that banks provide. At the same time, PayPal holds large amounts of their customers' money, makes millions of financial transactions and even offers credit and debit cards."

As for the OP

Because we run a business and 90% of our transactions are online we are still unfortunately forced to use paypal (thankfully only about 10% is via paypal the rest is other payment methods). If you are using paypal make sure it is linked to a dummy bank account and make sure it is not set to pull money automatically out of said dummy account. Trust me this will save you a tonne of headache if/when a problem arises.

Also I am not sure why you see the need to pay with paypal but it is what it is. Like suggested log into your paypal account and get a Debit card, you can use it just like any other card, and access the funds in your paypal account anywhere.

Is paypal safe to use when you do not set up an account? I have used it with my credit card as a guest. I don't have a paypal account and I input my cc info for each transaction I make.

Is paypal safe to use when you do not set up an account? I have used it with my credit card as a guest. I don't have a paypal account and I input my cc info for each transaction I make.

You don't need a PayPal account to buy stuff. Only to sell.

Guest maddycat
You don't need a PayPal account to buy stuff. Only to sell.

I know that. Is safety only a concern when setting up an account with paypal?

I know that. Is safety only a concern when setting up an account with paypal?

Apparently so. You have to attach it to an active bank account. That's so that PayPal can be sure that they will be able to get any fees due them, in case your actual PayPal account has less in it than what the fees are.

Thanks so much, I wasn't trying to be anything other than honest with the OP. Meant no disrespect. :rolleyes:

Sue

I'm confused. Your first post was signed "Scot and Karen", yet this post is signed "Sue".

If you were sincere about meaning no disrespect, why the sarcasm emoticon? Or do you exhibit this same confrontational tone in all of your posts?

I also suggest you take a class on writing style. Your posts give out a "screw you" vibe.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Please - someone: is there a benefit involved in using Paypal?

I wonder that as well. Along with PayPal, perhaps the cruise lines should start accepting Bitcoins. And if they accepted Monopoly money, I'd be cruisng every month!! :D

Edited by sloopsailor