Costa cancelled our cruise

drsel

Costa cancelled our cruise and bumped us off to another ship, sailing out from a different port 2 months later!

They offered 100 euros (per person) OBC as compensation plus an extra night in Venice for free.

I wonder if I can get a better deal if I negotiate!

Any ideas, advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated

Sounds like a bottom line offer to open negotiations to me. An attempt to find out just how much of an inconvenience this is to you, and the situation you describe really a MAJOR change ! Remember, it is always easier to give you things like cabin upgrades, drink packages, free internet, free meals in the upcharge restaurants, etc. than actually giving you monetary concessions. A different ship, date, & embarkation port is a LOT of inconvenience ! ! I'd negotiate, and be clear in what you expect.

A couple of times we have had cruises cancelled on us.

We were given a choice of several other cruises. After our TA did some negotiating, we got the cabin we wanted (not was left), a drink package, a couple of free dinners and a lot of shipboard credit (on HAL the amount of shipboard credit you get depends on what you spend for a cabin).

Hello,

Just curious...are you saying that Costa just informed you that they were canceling a cruise that you were scheduled to take within the next 2 weeks of this Sept ? Next Sept ? Canceled the cruise in total ? Charter ? Mechanical issues ? or Bumped you because of an overbooking ?

Depending on the circumstances above, I think would play into compensation for the inconvenience.

Just curious. Thanks

BBL

My Cruise fare is $1129 and I got just 100 euros ($117.50) OBC for the inconveniences of visiting Europe in Winter instead of September, that too on a completely different ship.

What should I ask them for?

Do you think that I can get a drink package and/or more OBC?What are the chances of getting my requests fulfilled?

Hello,

Just curious...are you saying that Costa just informed you that they were canceling a cruise that you were scheduled to take within the next 2 weeks of this Sept ? Next Sept ? Canceled the cruise in total ? Charter ? Mechanical issues ? or Bumped you because of an overbooking ?

Depending on the circumstances above, I think would play into compensation for the inconvenience.

Just curious. Thanks

BBL

Next Sept.

They cancelled the cruise in total.

Not a charter, no mechanical issues, not overbooked.

They simply sold the ship!!!

I would be surprised if they negotiated at all. A cruise line's passenger contract clearly will indicate their right to cancel for any reason and other than with your stateroom fare and maybe some airfare compensation, they are under no financial obligation to provide anything more for the situation. Their "offer" is what they are willing to provide as customer good will for the situation and not an invitation for hundreds of passengers to negotiate a better deal. I don't think there is any additional compensation due you as a result.

Selling the ship is a valid reason to cancel and just part of a company doing business. Given that, what they did offer sounds reasonable IMO and I'm certain that if you chose not to accept it, you would have all of the money you paid returned. That would be all that would be required of them to do.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I would be surprised if they negotiated at all. A cruise line's passenger contract clearly will indicate their right to cancel for any reason and other than with your stateroom fare and maybe some airfare compensation, they are under no financial obliteration to provide anything more for the situation. Their "offer" is what they are willing to provide as customer good will for the situation and not an invitation for hundreds of passengers to negotiate a better deal. I don't think there is any additional compensation due you as a result.

Selling the ship is a valid reason to cancel and just part of a company doing business. Given that, what they did offer sounds reasonable IMO and I'm certain that if you chose not to accept it, you would have all of the money you paid returned. That would be all that would be required of them to do.

So you suggest that we should be happy with $117 OBC on a $1129 Cruise fare, for the inconveniences of visiting Europe in Winter instead of September, on a different ship, sailing out from a different port?

So, what compensation should I ask for?

What do you think is appropriate?

Have you taken a look at the fares for the cruise the have offered you? They might be lees than what you paid since Mediterranean cruises tend to be cheaper in Nov. than in Sept.

I would ask for price difference (if any), upgrade to next category ( from inside to outside, outside to balcony, etc.) and at least 300$ OBC. I would argue that I had booked that cruise so far in advance because I wanted those specific dates and itinerary. Also make them aware of any other expenses you might have had related to the cruise as airfare of hotel bookings.

It is the right of the cruise line to sell the ship BUT the must provide the service you booked and paid (at least the deposit they demand) must be the same as stipulated. If there are MAJOR changes, the cruise line SHOULD compensate.

I am really tired of hearing people on these boards saying that cruise lines can do whatever they want for any reason and not give the passenger any compensation because the have a contract that says so which is written by them, not negotiable and illegal under certain country laws cause it clearly constitutes abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you suggest that we should be happy with $117 OBC on a $1129 Cruise fare, for the inconveniences of visiting Europe in Winter instead of September, on a different ship, sailing out from a different port?

Because Costa sold the ship!

I'm not suggesting you should feel any way. I'm only offering information as to what I think the cruise line's position is and whether or not you would be successful in negotiating a different solution.

You always have the right to refuse their offer and cancel at which point you would be refunded the money you paid and would remain "whole". You can also reschedule on a different ship or different line of your choice.

I'm only saying that the cruise line is within its right to cancel - and selling the ship is a valid reason - and as a result would not likely negotiate anything more than offered on your behalf. They are only obligated to return money received by you for the cruise. The rest is their gesture of good will for your inconvenience.

Certainly you can try - I just don't think you would be entitled to anything additional than what they have offered. Sorry if that is not the answer you want to hear, but I'm pretty sure that is how the cruise line would see it.

I'm not suggesting you should feel any way. I'm only offering information as to what I think the cruise line's position is and whether or not you would be successful in negotiating a different solution.

You always have the right to refuse their offer and cancel at which point you would be refunded the money you paid and would remain "whole". You can also reschedule on a different ship or different line of your choice.

I'm only saying that the cruise line is within its right to cancel - and selling the ship is a valid reason - and as a result would not likely negotiate anything more than offered on your behalf. They are only obligated to return money received by you for the cruise. The rest is their gesture of good will for your inconvenience.

Certainly you can try - I just don't think you would be entitled to anything additional than what they have offered.

That's a really bad advice. Negotiate is never a bad thing to do. In this case I think you MUST negotiate because you have very good reasons to do it.

FWIW I had a problem with DCL last year. They changed the room I had picked one year before (booked and paid deposit), after I had made final payment. That specific room was different than the others on that ship. They offered me an upgrade which was not any real upgrade for me because the room layout was way worse than the one I had. After negotiating I got 500$ refunded (not OBC) and the most similar room they had to the one I had booked.

I had gotten the same answers you are getting "you might not get anything more", "it's their right to change for any reason" , "you should be happy with what they offered you" . Don't pay attention to all that. They decided to sell the ship after selling it. They should not have sold it on those dates if they planned to sell it, it's their choice not yours. I think they have already budgeted all the compensations they will pay people on those departures but of course will try to "minimize damages". Ask for what is right to do. They will probably comply because they know it's the right thing to do.

That's a really bad advice. Negotiate is never a bad thing to do. In this case I think you MUST negotiate because you have very good reasons to do it.

I'm not advising anything - and never did. It is just my opinion as to what the cruise line's position is and as a result that I don't think negotiating will be successful.

I also said that there is no harm in trying. As a matter of fact I hope they are successful in getting more - I just don't think they will. But I would hope to be wrong for the sake of the OP.

Please read my responses more carefully before you criticize them.

i'm not advising anything - and never did. It is just my opinion as to what the cruise line's position is and as a result that i don't think negotiating will be successful.

I also said that there is no harm in trying. As a matter of fact i hope they are successful in getting more - i just don't think they will. But i would hope to be wrong for the sake of the op.

👍👍👍👍

Have you taken a look at the fares for the cruise the have offered you? They might be lees than what you paid since Mediterranean cruises tend to be cheaper in Nov. than in Sept.

I would ask for price difference (if any), upgrade to next category ( from inside to outside, outside to balcony, etc.) and at least 300$ OBC. I would argue that I had booked that cruise so far in advance because I wanted those specific dates and itinerary. Also make them aware of any other expenses you might have had related to the cruise as airfare of hotel bookings.

It is the right of the cruise line to sell the ship BUT the must provide the service you booked and paid (at least the deposit they demand) must be the same as stipulated. If there are MAJOR changes, the cruise line SHOULD compensate.

I am really tired of hearing people on these boards saying that cruise lines can do whatever they want for any reason and not give the passenger any compensation because the have a contract that says so which is written by them, not negotiable and illegal under certain country laws cause it clearly constitutes abuse.

You really believe they have not vetted their contract with serious legal talent for every country where it will be in place????????

And that they have not researched case law in all those countries also?

So if it happens to you, sue them. Good luck.

How can WE tell YOU what will by satisfactory for YOU?

You are getting 10% of your fare in credit.

What more do YOU want? Then ask for it.

Then decide if what they will give you will make you happy. And accept it or not.

I'm not advising anything - and never did. It is just my opinion as to what the cruise line's position is and as a result that I don't think negotiating will be successful.

I also said that there is no harm in trying. As a matter of fact I hope they are successful in getting more - I just don't think they will. But I would hope to be wrong for the sake of the OP.

Do you have any experience/information that supports your opinion?

Don't you think that your opinion might make the op settle for that he got offered?

Can't that opinion be more supportive regarding passengers rights?

Don't you think your opinion is sided with the interests of the cruise line?

I everyone thought the way you think cruise lines or any other corporation would have open path to do whatever they want not taking in account their customers rights. And that is just my opinion.

Do you have any experience/information that supports your opinion?

Don't you think that your opinion might make the op settle for that he got offered?

Can't that opinion be more supportive regarding passengers rights?

Don't you think your opinion is sided with the interests of the cruise line?

I everyone thought the way you think cruise lines or any other corporation would have open path to do whatever they want not taking in account their customers rights. And that is just my opinion.

To which you are entitled.

The OP can take away anything they wish from yours, mine, and everyone else who responds with one.

You really believe they have not vetted their contract with serious legal talent for every country where it will be in place????????

And that they have not researched case law in all those countries also?

So if it happens to you, sue them. Good luck.

Yes I believe that some of their clauses are abusive and would not be valid under many jurisdictions.

Btw I also think that cases like the op's would never make it to court if the cruise line is sued.They would settle before so that no precedent is created.

Cruise lines make their contracts to favor them.

Next Sept.

They cancelled the cruise in total.

Not a charter, no mechanical issues, not overbooked.

They simply sold the ship!!!

Selling a ship or chartering an entire ship, while not extremely common, happens often enough that similar complaints appear on cruise critic from time to time. Treatment by the cruise line depends on how close you are to your sail date recognizing that the closer you are the more expenses you have already incurred. Your cruise was scheduled a year from now - what costs have you incurred thus far? I presume no airline fares or hotel charges yet given that airlines start taking reservations 333 days in advance and hotels about 11 months. Assuming your deposit is fully refundable at this early date, offering an OBC and another cruise seems generous. If the cruise offered doesn't fit your schedule or interests, call them and negotiate that. The worst they can say is that is all that is available and return your deposit.

So, what compensation should I ask for?

What do you think is appropriate?

I think you should find another cruise that fits your needs for sept 2018

You could not have possibly booked air this far out

Why would you settle for a winter cruise when you want a September cruise?

Sent from my iPad using Forums