Costa cancelled our cruise

drsel

So you suggest that we should be happy with $117 OBC on a $1129 Cruise fare, for the inconveniences of visiting Europe in Winter instead of September, on a different ship, sailing out from a different port?

To reiterate....

Just find another cruise

Get your deposit back

It what world do you think you HaVe to take the winter cruise they offer?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, what compensation should I ask for?

What do you think is appropriate?

If they gave you a full refund, they might feel (strongly --and I'd be inclined to see their point of view) that nothing more is warranted.

If I were you, I would ask about some sort of discount or on board credit if you book on another sailing with them, but I would not expect too much.

It is the right of the cruise line to sell the ship BUT the must provide the service you booked and paid (at least the deposit they demand) must be the same as stipulated. If there are MAJOR changes, the cruise line SHOULD compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It sounds like the cruise line DID offer to compensate- they offered a fairly similar replacement - with a cruise credit sweetener. I believe they did also offer a full refund. This is a year out, so there cannot have been other expenses incurred. Are you saying that the line "SHOULD compensate" for the disappointment OP feels at having to change plans?

It sounds like the cruise line DID offer to compensate- they offered a fairly similar replacement - with a cruise credit sweetener. I believe they did also offer a full refund. This is a year out, so there cannot have been other expenses incurred. Are you saying that the line "SHOULD compensate" for the disappointment OP feels at having to change plans?

Look, the "fairly similar replacement" you say is on a different ship, departing from a different port and in a different time of the year.

The op is cruising the Mediterranean and the weather is completely different in November that it is in September. September is still high season in the Mediterranean while November is low season with very different prices. And that difference is because of the different weather you get.

So, I really don't think they are providing with a "fairly similar replacement".

I would like to hear from the OP if there is an economical difference between the original cruise a that offered. And also know in what amount.

And yes, the OP in good will contracted a cruise from a certain port, on a certain ship and on a certain date. The cruise line agreed to provide it. Now, they are saying "no sorry, no cruise for you... too bad. Here is 100€ and a completely different cruise for you". Really? Is that the best Costa can do to clean their mess? I think it is not. And if that's the only option they can provide, they SHOULD compensate.

And yes, the OP in good will contracted a cruise from a certain port, on a certain ship and on a certain date. The cruise line agreed to provide it. Now, they are saying "no sorry, no cruise for you... too bad. Here is 100€ and a completely different cruise for you". Really? Is that the best Costa can do to clean their mess? I think it is not. And if that's the only option they can provide, they SHOULD compensate.

Why should the OP be 'compensated' if he has incurred no expense? No monetary costs were incurred thererfor no monetary compensation required. The OBC is a good will gesture.

Costa also "...in good will contracted a cruise..." -- when they were unable to deliver on the terms, they offered alternatives ; OP could have accepted the (admittedly not as desirable) alternative - plus cash sweetener - or complete cancellation of the cruise -- WHICH I AM SURE WAS A CONDITION OF THE CONTRACT.

If OP wanted entitlements above and beyond that provided in the contract he entered into at the time he signed up, he should have had them included.

Yes, cruise lines offer contracts favorable to them - they would soon be driven out of business if they entered into contracts which required them to satisfy every whim of prospective travelers.

Costa also "...in good will contracted a cruise..." -- when they were unable to deliver on the terms, they offered alternatives ; OP could have accepted the (admittedly not as desirable) alternative - plus cash sweetener - or complete cancellation of the cruise -- WHICH I AM SURE WAS A CONDITION OF THE CONTRACT.

If OP wanted entitlements above and beyond that provided in the contract he entered into at the time he signed up, he should have had them included.

Yes, cruise lines offer contracts favorable to them - they would soon be driven out of business if they entered into contracts which required them to satisfy every whim of prospective travelers.

Wow! In this situation is the cruise line "satisfying every whim of prospective travelers"? Or are those travelers affected by the decision of the cruise line to sell the ship after selling those travelers vacations on that ship?

Wouldn't it be fair that the cruise line waited some months to sell it so that they don't have anyone booked on that ship??

If they decide to sell it with passenger booked on it, they should provide a comparable option with same dates, same departing port and similar ship or compensate the passenger if the option they provide is different to that booked.

And, by the way, I would love to be able to have any entitlement included in the cruise contract. But I guess that's impossible...

Wouldn't it be fair that the cruise line waited some months to sell it so that they don't have anyone booked on that ship??

If they decide to sell it with passenger booked on it, they should provide a comparable option with same dates, same departing port and similar ship or compensate the passenger if the option they provide is different to that booked.

"Waiting several months" from what date? The date they sold the ship? You do realize that cruises are often sold up to 18 months in advance? Other than a deposit, monetary costs aren't incurred until within 11 months of a cruise at the earliest and OP has not mentioned that he has incurred any other than his refundable deposit.

The OP has not provided us with the information as to whether a comparable option is available. If it is, has he asked Costa to switch his reservation to that?

"Waiting several months" from what date? The date they sold the ship? You do realize that cruises are often sold up to 18 months in advance? Other than a deposit, monetary costs aren't incurred until within 11 months of a cruise at the earliest and OP has not mentioned that he has incurred any other than his refundable deposit.

The OP has not provided us with the information as to whether a comparable option is available. If it is, has he asked Costa to switch his reservation to that?

In the European contract Costa says that they must provide a cruise of identical or higher quality to the one booked. Should they not be able to provide it, they must reimburse the price difference should the passenger accept that option.

And, you are right, we still don't know if the OP has incurred in any additional expenses.

The Op seems to have such bad luck with cruises maybe they should consider another holiday venue

The best thing he/she can do is contact the cruise line just like they did when the last problem occurred & deal with them

All else is just speculation

JMO

I would temper my empathy with the OP. He has known that his ship, Costa neoClassica, has been sold to Bahamas Paradise cruise line since mid-August, per his posting on this thread on the Costa forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2531219

And apparently his bargaining position is affected by the fact that he is a non-EU resident but booked from the EU website to get a lower fare. Thus his cancellation/rebooking/etc. position may vary from those of us in the US who play by US rules. EM

I would temper my empathy with the OP. He has known that his ship, Costa neoClassica, has been sold to Bahamas Paradise cruise line since mid-August, per his posting on this thread on the Costa forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2531219

And apparently his bargaining position is affected by the fact that he is a non-EU resident but booked from the EU website to get a lower fare. Thus his cancellation/rebooking/etc. position may vary from those of us in the US who play by US rules. EM

Yes, I have just read that post. The OP also says he had accepted Costa's offer. That was I month ago.

I wonder why is he asking now if he has already accepted.

I also learnt on that post that he paid 409€ for that cruises. So he is getting 25% of his cruise fare in OBC. And also the replacement ship he says is better than the original one. I think that is completely fair.

Now I'm upset with the OP for asking advice and not providing all that info he obviously knew! [emoji35]

lol drsel bamboozled the whole lot of you

You determined this how? By verifyifying IF costa sold one of their ships? Not many of us care to 'research' posts on a regular basis before responding. :) And speaking only for myself, I will not bother to researchh if your info is correct. :D Because I really don't care. :( D

You determined this how? By verifyifying IF costa sold one of their ships? Not many of us care to 'research' posts on a regular basis before responding. :) And speaking only for myself, I will not bother to researchh if your info is correct. :D Because I really don't care. :( D

......by reading the rest of the posts in this thread. I guess that's something you don't care to do either :'):'):')

......by reading the rest of the posts in this thread. I guess that's something you don't care to do either :'):'):')
Hey, tina. wrong guess. I may not have read every word, o f every post, however, I read many other posts. :) Edited by sail7seas

Well, OP, you fooled everyone here. Everyone sympathized, gave advice and tried to be helpful. You lied, covered up the truth and never came back here. Highly doubt anyone is ever going to believe anything else you say.

No, not everyone - there were a few of us who took original post at face value and still felt that the original complaint was unfounded. It seemed to be just one more case of an entitled person believing that no compensation would be good enough.

No, not everyone - there were a few of us who took original post at face value and still felt that the original complaint was unfounded. It seemed to be just one more case of an entitled person believing that no compensation would be good enough.

I thought the op was irritating for the get go and that's why I said just take another cruise line

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suggested they get back their deposit and book a cruise on a different cruise line.

No, not everyone - there were a few of us who took original post at face value and still felt that the original complaint was unfounded.

Yes - and some of us were criticized for simply pointing out what the cruise line's position might be with regards to what the OP was seeking to do.

But now that we know all the facts.........