Anyone gone from longer cruises (13 days) to shorter 7 day cruises?

Velvetwater

We are used to taking 12/13 day cruises in different places (see signature) but have always wondered what a 7 day 'typical' Carribean cruise is like. Since we have always wanted to go to New Orleans and Belize the Carnival dream doing Western seems perfect. We have to travel in late July early August and it seems that there are no longer grand cruises around the Carribbean at this time anyway. In an ideal world a part of me would love a crusie that went Western/Southern Carribbean and back.

We plan to spend 6 days or so in New Orleans then cruise, then go home so it would still be the usual 2 week+ holiday for us.

So my questions is has anyone gone from longer cruises to doing short ones. Was it hard? Did you feel like you didn't settle into the cruise?

I am worried I have been spoilt with longer voyages.

We are used to taking 12/13 day cruises in different places (see signature) but have always wondered what a 7 day 'typical' Carribean cruise is like. Since we have always wanted to go to New Orleans and Belize the Carnival dream doing Western seems perfect. We have to travel in late July early August and it seems that there are no longer grand cruises around the Carribbean at this time anyway. In an ideal world a part of me would love a crusie that went Western/Southern Carribbean and back.

We plan to spend 6 days or so in New Orleans then cruise, then go home so it would still be the usual 2 week+ holiday for us.

So my questions is has anyone gone from longer cruises to doing short ones. Was it hard? Did you feel like you didn't settle into the cruise?

Our very first cruise was a 15 nighter. Then we did a 7 night. Followed by B2B 10 & 14 nights (24 total). Then a couple of 7 nighters. Followed by 19 - 14 - 21 - 4 - 4 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 24 & 4 night cruises.

We prefer the long ones. But we just look at the shorter ones as a "quick getaway" option. Packing is a lot easier for the short ones, and it doesn't take long to put away our stuff out of our bags in our room onboard.

We started with 7 days cruises and quickly moved up to 10 - 14 day cruises. We always did a pre-cruise and post cruise stay so we were usually away 17-18 days which was the outside limit my late DH could leave his office. We did a great many b-to-b's through the years.

Now I mostly will book 7 days. I don't want to be alone longer on my own, at the moment. (That could change. :) )

The last 7 day we did, we booked two different 7 day cruises on different lines back to back, with one day in between... that helps a lot.

Early on we first did 7 day cruises. They were great. Then we tried a 12 day cruise and thought it was amazing. Usually it would take me a few days to unwind when I was working and on 7 day cruise by the time I unwinded it was time to think about packing and that was not the case on the longer cruise.

Keith

We have, but they are over too soon. Prefer linking them with a B2B, even on another ship. Easter is a good time to sail in the areas you mention. We hit Belize, Panama and Costa Rica on a 11/12 night cruise during the Easter break. We've done the Caribbean in the summer and it was hot! The Bahamas was so humid, we only managed to walk across the road and sweat was pouring down our backs - not a pretty sight :D.

It will be an incredibly difficult adjustment. 😕 Cancel now before it's too late.

1st-world problem.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I was asking about experiences and thoughts on doing something different, I did not ask for useless posts.

Thanks for everyone elses advice, I am hoping that a holiday on land a bit beforehand I will be ready and relaxed before I get on the ship.

We are very aware of the how hot it is in August (we have done a PC in August from Florida) but as we teach its the only option. Easter does not give us enough time if we are heading stateside.

I was asking about experiences and thoughts on doing something different, I did not ask for useless posts.

Thanks for everyone elses advice, I am hoping that a holiday on land a bit beforehand I will be ready and relaxed before I get on the ship.

We are very aware of the how hot it is in August (we have done a PC in August from Florida) but as we teach its the only option. Easter does not give us enough time if we are heading stateside.

That's why I wish X would offer some Pacific Coastal cruises during the summer months - some variety would be great :). Keeping to the school holidays is a nightmare ;).

I think if u are starting your vacation up to a week before you even get on the ship, you should feel like you have gotten a nice balance of land and sea time. Only down side I can think of is having to pack up in the middle and relocate.....

Please let us know how you like it!

Our first cruise was 17 days through the Panama Canal, almost a year ago now. We loved the sea days and thought it was perfect. Then there were 10 days in the Baltic, very port-intensive -- it was more like a bus trip than a cruise. Last October we did a 7 day to Mexico, which was easy and convenient for us, but although we enjoyed it immensely it just wasn't long enough. Next month we're going back to Mexico on a 10 day with four sea days... That should be about right.

I agree we need more sailings from the West Coast, including regularly scheduled 14-day trips to Alaska and Mexico.