Could I carry both of these on the plane ??

thesanders08

yes, no problem. These days there are people with more than that. One is supposed to fit under the seat, but it depends on the gate agent and how close they call it. I think you will have no issue.

Just flew SAN to BCN on American, and on the SAN to JFK leg there was a really hard-nosed gate agent who was enforcing the "fit into the box" rule very strictly. It not only had to fit, but do so "easily" according to his interpretation. In other words, over-stuffed wasn't going to cut it. Better be sure about dimensions.

Pat

You can take both on board but just because you can does not mean that you should.

Two reasons I say this - 1) overhead space is limited especially at the holidays and you may find all the overhead space is full if you are boarding with a high "zone" number. 2) be sure you can manage both bags, especially if you have a connection. I can't tell you the number of times I have watched someone struggle to carry their luggage through the airport because they had two sizeable (but within airline limits) that they were not strong enough to manage. I've also seen people unable to lift their own carry-on up to the overhead bin. If you can't lift it, check it!

If you can manage your bags then by all means take them onboard but if you can't then do yourself a favor and check one of the bags. For what you will save on luggage fees won't be worth it in the end.

Yeah you will be fine. You can bring a carry-on suitcase.....up to 24" and a backpack

You CAN NOT take a 24" carryon at American Airlines.

AND, depending on the plane, 22" carryons don't fit wheels in, which deprives someone else of space to put their carryon. AA's 757's, unless they have been retrofitted, DO NOT fit 22" carryons in wheels in. Larger planes (777 and 763)-they fit fine wheels in as well as in MOST of Mad Dogs.

I was not sure if I could actually take these both on the plane with me ? I am flying American airlines

560772_10101137594323884_1136421269_n.jpg

This is a regulation that must be followed by both passenger and air carrier. One carry-on and one personal item. If I was your gate agent or ticket agent, the bigger one would be checked...

If I was your gate agent or ticket agent, the bigger one would be checked...

I agree. At least in the picture, that is a pretty darn big suitcase.

I just flew back United from EWR. Two 20 somethings had oversize suitcases. They wouldn't fit wheels in (737-8), so took up the entire bin with two suitcases and a LOT of pushing. The next rows-27 and up-had to start gate checking.

I was absolutely furious as it was my computer case (Tutto rolling office-20 x 15 x 9) that got gate checked. Why the FA or gate agent didn't make those girls gate check their suitcases was beyond me? But they didn't and about $3000 worth of IBM laptop, printer and scanner, not to mention all the paperwork I needed, was gate checked.

Then they lost the handle. United is making nice by buying me a new case but they wouldn't have been so nice if my computer equipment would have been damaged or "misplaced".

I was not sure if I could actually take these both on the plane with me ? I am flying American airlines

560772_10101137594323884_1136421269_n.jpg

Just put everything that you absolutely need to have available on the flight into the smaller bag.

They may or may not ask you to gate check the rollaboard, if you are flying coach.

Typically they are a lot more lenient with people who fly first class, so if the flight is full and they are short on space in the overhead bins, the people in coach are the ones who will get their rollaboards gate checked.

Whether or not they enforce the "fit into the box" rule seems to vary according to the particular agent you happen to encounter.

When you fly their small commuter planes, they gate check all the rollaboards and return them to you right on the tarmac when you step off the plane at the end of the flight.

But when they gate check the rollaboards for the large planes, they are sent through to baggage claim at the destination airport so you need to go to baggage claim to retrieve them.

The new standard at work. In a choice between brusk and accurate versus friendly, chipper and wrong, I guess the latter is preferable.

Let's think of some other situations. Ship captains, for one. Some folks love it when the captain is bubbly and friendly. Think that makes for a great cruise experience. I prefer it when they are coldly competent. Schettino was, by all accounts, that warm and engaging personality. He also was quite wrong on the Concordia. Aircraft design engineers. I don't care what they are like - I just want them to be sure the calculations are such that the wings don't fall off. Bridge designers. Tax lawyers. Surgeons.

Style over substance?? The bane of modern society it seems.

This is a regulation that must be followed by both passenger and air carrier. One carry-on and one personal item. If I was your gate agent or ticket agent, the bigger one would be checked...

Just wondering why that is??? AA's standards are as follows:

The maximum dimensions cannot exceed any of the following measurements: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm). All carry-on items should be stowed in an overhead bin.

Personal item - includes: purse, briefcase, laptop bag OR a similar item such as a tote that does not exceed 36 inches( length+width+height) and must fit under the seat in front of you.

The bigger one appears to me to be a standard sized carry-on and if so you, as the gate or ticket agent, would be wrong to say it had to be checked due to being too large.

Just wondering why that is??? AA's standards are as follows:

The maximum dimensions cannot exceed any of the following measurements: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm). All carry-on items should be stowed in an overhead bin.

Personal item - includes: purse, briefcase, laptop bag OR a similar item such as a tote that does not exceed 36 inches( length+width+height) and must fit under the seat in front of you.

The bigger one appears to me to be a standard sized carry-on and if so you, as the gate or ticket agent, would be wrong to say it had to be checked due to being too large.

Here's my take: It's because you would have TWO carry-on bags, not one and a personal item. That red one is no "personal item". And, if you have too many, a good agent would check the larger to allow for more room in the overhead bins.

Logical??

Logical - if the red bag was more than 36 linear inches when packed, but if OP only put a few things in it, I'm sure it would fit the dimensions. It does state personal item ....."or similar item such as a tote". I'm sure if that bag wasn't full to the brim it would fit under the seat as required.

We always fly Delta and whether they are less lenient or not I don't know, but I see many people who actually have regular-sized suitcases, at least double/triple the allowed size, that carry them onto the plane. Astonishes me that they aren't required to check them and pay for it. Especially when every Delta flight I have been on has the offer at the gate to check carry-on luggage for free as it is a full flight and there won't be enough overhead bin room.

Archived