Has Anyone Been Downgraded one deck when the price went down ?

1palmtree

We booked a balcony on a Princess cruise and the price went down $400.00 before we made our final payment and while we can actually still get our deposit back. When our Agent called Princess she was told we would have to cancel our current cruise and rebook at the reduced rate.

We also got moved down one deck lower at the reduced rate.

I would think it is good customer service to just give us the same cabin at the reduced rate after our third Princess cruise.

I wrote customer service a letter over two weeks ago and by seeing some of the posts on here, they are not big on responses.

We booked a balcony on a Princess cruise and the price went down $400.00 before we made our final payment and while we can actually still get our deposit back. When our Agent called Princess she was told we would have to cancel our current cruise and rebook at the reduced rate.

I would think it is good customer service to just give us the same cabin at the reduced rate after our third Princess cruise.

I wrote customer service a letter over two weeks ago and by seeing some of the posts on here, they are not big on responses.

Did you book a guarantee cabin or pick a specific cabin?

Your TA should have insisted Princes just give you the discounted fare & leave you in the same cabin

Maybe ask on the Princess forum what others have experienced in the same situation

Most cruise line will just give the new rate without having to rebook

We booked, asked for and paid a deposit on a mid ship balcony and we were assigned a cabin number. Now we still have a mid ship aft but down one deck lower.

What ship is this, and what category? On many of their ships, the tiered decks mean the balconies get larger the lower the deck. So, you may actually have an upgrade.

Edited by Twickenham

We booked, asked for and paid a deposit on a mid ship balcony and we were assigned a cabin number. Now we still have a mid ship aft but down one deck lower.

When you book a guarantee, they can assign you to any cabin within the category or above it. If your new cabin is still the same category, doesn't matter what deck you are on in terms of you being assigned properly.

I just checked my old booking and my previous catergory was BA on Deck 7, now I am Deck 6 BC.

As I said I can still cancel the entire cruise, but dont' really want to do that. I just want my other cabin back.

When you have booked a cruise at a certain rate or promotion, it is now increasingly common to have to cancel and rebook if a better promotion comes along--as most sales are for "new bookings only". Unfortunately when doing so you run the risk of your cabin being snatched up by someone else during the brief time between cancelling and rebooking. Your agent should have advised you of this--and should be the one going to bat for you to at the very least get a cabin in your original category, if not the actual cabin you gave up.

I wasn't clear in my post.

The Deck does not determine whether you are in a higher or lower category cabin.

Look at the deck plan; find the original cabin you were assigned; note the category into which that cabin fits. IF the NEW cabin (on the lower deck) is at least the same category cabin, you would not call that a downgrade OR an upgrade. A guarantee means the cruise line can assign you to any cabin they want as long as it is at least the minimum level you initially booked.

Just because it is a lower deck does not NECESSARILY mean it is a downgrade though it could be. Verify the category.

If they are different then you have an issue.

If they are the same or the lower deck is a higher level category (no matter the deck), then you have no legitimate complaint.

If you must have a specific cabin, book that cabin by number and pay the fare they ask for.

What am I missing? You cancelled your old cruise. When you did that, you gave up your cabin. Apparently, the price reduction did not include your former cabin category.

We have a MA mini-suite booked for a January cruise. There was a recent price reduction on mini-suites but it did not include our category which had already been sold out for two months. Sure, I could cancel and re-book but I would have to give up my MA to do so.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

In other words, you got what you paid for, and you didn't get what you didn't pay for. Seems fair. If you cancel a contract, you can't really complain if the other party cancels it as well.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

The way I see it is that you booked a guarantee cabin and got assigned a cabin. Then you cancelled that cruise and rebooked another guarantee and got assigned a cabin for the new booking. It just happens to be a deck lower.

There is nothing here to complain about. You got what you paid for. That is the way guarantees work.

Enjoy the cruise. Enjoy the $400.

The perception that a lower deck is less desirable may be based on way back when steerage was the lower decks. We have never found the deck to be a factor in our enjoyment of the cruise. Nor do we care which part of the ship the cabin is, although we prefer a quiet cabin that is not over or under a noisy venue. You also state the new cabin is not midship. Unless you have trouble walking, you should not find this an issue. We enjoy the walks back and forth to our cabin to keep us healthy and choose a cabin forward or aft of the elevators to avoid the noise of people coming back to their cabins late at night.

I would gladly take the $400 and would not stress over the cabin change. Cheap lesson learned for next time, at least a lesson where you made money.

What ship is this, and what category? On many of their ships, the tiered decks mean the balconies get larger the lower the deck. So, you may actually have an upgrade.

I agree we had a stateroom on the Aloha deck (Caribbean princess 2006 ) that did not compare at all to the one we had on the Caribbean deck last year on Grand Princess. (same class ship, just one less deck of staterooms) it was an up grade to be on the Caribbean deck mid ship I felt, as your balcony is double the size. Half shaded, and half in the sun. The aloha deck only has the shaded part.

Enjoy the cruise. Enjoy the $400.

The perception that a lower deck is less desirable may be based on way back when steerage was the lower decks. We have never found the deck to be a factor in our enjoyment of the cruise. Nor do we care which part of the ship the cabin is, although we prefer a quiet cabin that is not over or under a noisy venue. You also state the new cabin is not midship. Unless you have trouble walking, you should not find this an issue. We enjoy the walks back and forth to our cabin to keep us healthy and choose a cabin forward or aft of the elevators to avoid the noise of people coming back to their cabins late at night.

I would gladly take the $400 and would not stress over the cabin change. Cheap lesson learned for next time, at least a lesson where you made money.

I actually prefer a middle deck as you are equally close to all things on ship.

I also like the lower decks.

It sounds to me that either the OP booked a Cat. BC guarantee and was assigned a BA, or else the OP saw a better price for the BC and thinks that it should apply to the BA she had.

I don't understand, if you book a cabin (not a guarantee) and the price went down before the final payment, why didn't they just adjust the price? They did it for me before. Maybe inexperienced travel agent, or whoever answered the phone at Princess didn't know how to issue an adjusted invoice?

I just checked my old booking and my previous catergory was BA on Deck 7, now I am Deck 6 BC.

As I said I can still cancel the entire cruise, but dont' really want to do that. I just want my other cabin back.

Why did they move you to another category? Did you sign up for a guarantee in the first place? Maybe your TA didn't tell you, or didn't mention it when talking to Princess?

I don't understand, if you book a cabin (not a guarantee) and the price went down before the final payment, why didn't they just adjust the price? They did it for me before. Maybe inexperienced travel agent, or whoever answered the phone at Princess didn't know how to issue an adjusted invoice?

The Op said they were assigned a cabin so it must have been a guarantee. They did not pick the cabin.