Travel and Details Before Cruise - South America

Sand$!

A very new person to the boards and still to go on my first cruise.

I am a planner and enjoying all the advice on here - planning helps me relax before and on the holiday as I plan one or two key things for my husband and I, with known options to take up if we need and then I sit back and relax. I have travelled extensively but this time I have included a cruise as part of a five week trip and because it is new to me I am possibly worrying myself too much, so would love the folks on here to give me an opinion

I travel from Australia to Argentina, Buenos Aires for 10 days (know I need visas and possibly Yellow Fever Jabs)

From Buenos Aires I travel up to Sao Paulo/Santos (Brazil) the morning of the Cruise - departs 5.00 pm, I arrive in airport at around midday

This is the part I need advice

I have swopped the flight to a scheduled carrier in the morning with two more flights that day - should I move the flight to the day before? But really didn't want a further change of venue for a night in Sao Paula, Travel agent thinks I should be fine for cruise flying in that day - just worrying I think. Is there a usual time to board for a 5pm departure

I am going to need travel Visas for my 5 hours in Brazil I think, is there a cheaper version for a transit to a ship?

If the worse happen - paying under my own steam I need to meet the cruise in Buenos Aires - is this allowable usually - I will need to be on the ship in Brazil as it is a transatlantic crossing with only two ports before she crosses!

Many thanks for any inputs

What you need to be really clear on is the "all aboard" time. That is going to be at least 1 hour before the ship departs so that the cruise can finalize all of it's paperwork.

Personally, I've watched people in line with me at customs scream into cell phones begging the cruise transfer to wait for them, they were in the customs line -- to no avail. They missed their cruise. I don't know if they had any recourse. It's not a chance I want to take, so I arrive in port a day early and take a hotel room. The peace of mind is worth it to me.

From Buenos Aires I travel up to Sao Paulo/Santos (Brazil) the morning of the Cruise - departs 5.00 pm, I arrive in airport at around midday

IF all goes according to plan, however what if you are delayed somewhere how much wiggle time will you want to have?

. Is there a usual time to board for a 5pm departure

Check in will begin about 11 a.m. and boarding shortly thereafter. You will need to be on board by 3 p.m. at the latest (there is a 2 hour deadline on embarkation day). How long will you spend going through Customs/Immigration? How long to collect your baggage? How far from the airport to the dock? Are you using local transport or an airline transfer? All these things need to be added in to your calculations and landing time.

If you arrive before Noon I think you MIGHT be okay.

Don't know if you are sailing on a weekend or a weekday, but keep in mind that Sao Paulo can have terrible traffic. I understand Fridays are the worst, but you can see massive traffic jams any day.

I personally would not be comfortable with your current plan.

A very new person to the boards and still to go on my first cruise.

I am a planner and enjoying all the advice on here - planning helps me relax before and on the holiday as I plan one or two key things for my husband and I, with known options to take up if we need and then I sit back and relax. I have travelled extensively but this time I have included a cruise as part of a five week trip and because it is new to me I am possibly worrying myself too much, so would love the folks on here to give me an opinion

I travel from Australia to Argentina, Buenos Aires for 10 days (know I need visas and possibly Yellow Fever Jabs)

This is the part I need advice

I have swopped the flight to a scheduled carrier in the morning with two more flights that day - should I move the flight to the day before? But really didn't want a further change of venue for a night in Sao Paula, Travel agent thinks I should be fine for cruise flying in that day - just worrying I think. Is there a usual time to board for a 5pm departure

I am going to need travel Visas for my 5 hours in Brazil I think, is there a cheaper version for a transit to a ship?

If the worse happen - paying under my own steam I need to meet the cruise in Buenos Aires - is this allowable usually - I will need to be on the ship in Brazil as it is a transatlantic crossing with only two ports before she crosses!

Many thanks for any inputs

Bad idea.

Many Many thanks for all your opinions and information - you have me convinced - I will go and see travel agent and see what it is to get flights swopped over for one day before.

Also have to persuade husband about leaving Buenos Aires one day earlier - now off to find something nice to do one night in Sao Paulo to tempt him.

Cheers all you CC Members