v.pleased with packing

kerryincork

That is impressive indeed! My DW didn't believe such packing was possible until I showed her this video. She has a habit of always using too big of suitcase which means way too much stuff brought along on the trip. The best part is that I get stuck with the huge and heavy bag...:p

kcwingwalker.....you are preaching to the choir. Although as a man I can't say I was ever a size 2 but I can say that I have "expanded" over the last many years. From a size 28 waist in my 20's now 20 years and 10 inches later I am now a 38" waist. :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Forums mobile app

My daughter and I are very impressed and inspired! :)

When our family of four was disembarking the Dawn, dragging 4 monster suitcases plus carry-ons, we saw a family whiz by with only 16" suitcases. We were in awe, and decided then and there that we needed to re-think this packing business.

Taking fewer clothes will be the easy part (I think/hope). My problem tends to be toiletries and shoes. :D

Managed to get everything in a 9 x 11 x 16 inch case:

5 dresses

2 skirts

Capri pants

3 swimsuits

14 tops

1 pair of shoes

2 cardigans

Sarong

Wrap

Enough underwear to last 10 days

Toiletries

I still have a little space :-)

How much can you get in your case?

dont forget wrinkle remover :) that much in 1 case ...

My daughter and I are very impressed and inspired! :)

When our family of four was disembarking the Dawn, dragging 4 monster suitcases plus carry-ons, we saw a family whiz by with only 16" suitcases. We were in awe, and decided then and there that we needed to re-think this packing business.

I saw a family with a toddler and infant with just a large suitcase and, if I remember correctly, just another small case and maybe a backpack. We were in line together and I just kept looking at them trying figure out how they did it.
Taking fewer clothes will be the easy part (I think/hope). My problem tends to be toiletries and shoes. :D

Yep, toiletries and shoes plus hair appliances get me everytime but I have the luxury of driving to the port 99% of the time and I have my sherpa with me.:D

That is impressive indeed! My DW didn't believe such packing was possible until I showed her this video. She has a habit of always using too big of suitcase which means way too much stuff brought along on the trip. The best part is that I get stuck with the huge and heavy bag...:p

This video was made in 2010. Now-a-days you can't carry all your toiletries and cosmetics in your carry-on bag.

Harriet

5 dresses

2 skirts

Capri pants

3 swimsuits

14 tops

1 pair of shoes

2 cardigans

Sarong

Wrap

Toiletries

Impressive! For my cruise next week, I plan on using a carry on and knapsack.

I'll only bring what I need, mix and match colours, liteweight shoes (including nice wedges). I refuse to pay for checked luggage!

I'll let you know how I do :)

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

I saw a video on you tube on how to maximise your suitcase space and it really works. My case has pockets so I can pack my toiletries individually.

years back I backpacked around the world with a huge bag. It cured me from over packing for good ;-)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Forums mobile app

Good for you, Kerry! :D From personal experience, I know it can be done. DD and I traveled through Europe for five weeks last summer, and we each had one carry-on size suitcase and a backpack. Prior to that I always way over packed but I refused to lug a large suitcase through 12 countries so I challenged myself. It was great and it made traveling so much easier. I'm planning to do the same for my upcoming 11-day trip. And, at 6'1", I'm nowhere near a size 2!

It can be done!! :D

5 dresses

2 skirts

Capri pants

3 swimsuits

14 tops

1 pair of shoes

2 cardigans

Sarong

Wrap

Toiletries

In the Rockland duffel bag, full but bit roomy:

8 dresses (I remove 2, which made it 10 and one of those remove is going to be my outfit for embark / disembark days)

2 swim suits

2 heavy cardigan sweaters

underwear for 10 days

2 pairs of shoes ( the third one will be on my feet for embark/ disembark days)

Laundry bag for dirty clothes

beach hat

extra regular bra

Toiletry back bag which still has space despite everything in it:

Toothbrush and paste

deodorant

wash cloth

pajamas set

2 jars of hair grease (one regular, the other deep conditioner)

organizer bag of index cards, rubberbands, pens, and pencils

Beach bag to hold sunscreen, towel and dress

2 bottles of body lotion (one aloe in case of sunburn and other for dry skin)

Bottle of sunscreen

organizer bag in case I buy jewelry on the ship (not bringing the ones at home - making it cruise tradition / ritual for me. lol)

water proof bag to hold my cell phone and passport wallet

plastic bags (in case bags holding shoes rips or somethings)

hair bands

body spray / perfume

shower flipflops

Cellphone with charger, passport wallet with Credit card & money, boarding passes and rough draft of my itinerary are going to be in my third bag which is my regular weekend bag that doubles for cruise MDR dining and events. :) I was planning to put everything in one extra-large bag but then I read in couple of places that sometimes they take luggage the night before disembark day and well, I don't like walking the streets of NYC in pajamas, flipflops and no bra. :cool:

I've been packing with the bundling method for years. Working on teaching it to my boyfriend. I'll be using it when I pack for our cruise in the next few days. Oddly, as the girl I am the one who has less trouble packing light. BF, on the other hand, would be challenged beyond words if we decided to do an extended trip with lots of moving around.

Next cruise will be our longest and we are flying vs. driving. I know I can manage and keep telling myself not to forget to make use of the ship's laundry...............it is cheaper than additional airline fees.

I don't like flying and I think it's about 15 years since my last flight, so I'm trying to keep calm and remember this trip is worth it!

We traveled for 2 months on land in Europe this summer squeezing a 10 day cruise in the middle. We each had a 20 inch carryon and a backpack. No problemo!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you are flying isn't that considered 2 carry-on's (the 20" bag and the backpack)?

Or is the backpack considered your "personal item" like a purse, tote, etc? As long as its smaller than the carry on.

I would love to be able to do this but I would be worried my backpack would be larger than my carry on LOL

Edited by sunflower47

When you are flying isn't that considered 2 carry-on's (the 20" bag and the backpack)?

Or is the backpack considered your "personal item" like a purse, tote, etc? As long as its smaller than the carry on.

I would love to be able to do this but I would be worried my backpack would be larger than my carry on LOL

Personal item. Each airline may have different guidelines. Do check your carriers' policies.

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

5 dresses

2 skirts

Capri pants

3 swimsuits

14 tops

1 pair of shoes

2 cardigans

Sarong

Wrap

Toiletries

How did you manage only taking 2 pairs of shoes? (1 packed 1 on your feet). Curious minds wanna know lol. I'm a horrible over packer.