We just want to snorkel

Razor_Poke

We like to snorkel and this will be our first trip to Roatan via the Carnival Dream in July.

I don't really want to see monkeys and birds although hearing about the island and seeing some things from the car would be fine. But for the most part, I just want to float around the "kidney" that has been described on this board.

My concern seems to be the complicated nature of doing business in Roatan -- from getting a cab (after an apparent long walk), then even worse getting another to take us back to the ship, and then just the simple matter of accessing the beach. I don't mind eating a meal or having a few drinks if that is what it takes to get a chair.

I've heard plenty of good things about Victor Bodden but it seems like we get a few "extras" that we don't really need or want. The Tabyana excursion from Carnival seems reasonable -- just a little more than VB but seems you just go straight to the beach -- and I like the idea of the assurance in the transportation. But normally, I've always winged it and avoided the ship's excursions and the somewhat inflated prices.

I guess, to wrap this up, I'm looking for some advice on the whole cab thing. It just seems like everything I read here points to them being unreliable. I could manage, but DW would be a nervous wreck.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Honestly, given what you have in mind to do or not do, especially if you want to snorkel, the Tabayana excursion would fit your bill. I'm not a ship excursion fan either. But this one has you and your wish list covered, so worth the extra $. Once your at the beach you can wander around anywhere, take the water taxi up to West End or hire a small boat to take you up there for slightly off shore snorkeling. Grab a bite to eat or a drink at any of the places along the beach. I suggest Beaches or Bite on the Beach. Or just hang out at the area where they drop you off. If you wander around, just pay attention to the time so you can catch a bus before the last bus back. Enjoy your cruise.

I agree with Crewsweeper. That seems like your best bet. You mentioned Bodden but did you know you can do the personal private tour? They will take you wherever you want to go and show you the island. They can set up snorkeling or anything else you desire on your visit. We love to do West Bay Beach and West End Village. I usually snorkel right from West Bay Beach (which is where Tabayana Beach Break is) and swim out to the reef but there are plenty of boats to take you out. Check again with Bodden or just do the beach break excursion and go from there.

We like to snorkel and this will be our first trip to Roatan via the Carnival Dream in July.

If you decide on the Tabyana Excursion, I too agree this is the best choice. This thread has heaps of info, maps and pics about snorkeling steps from your lounger at Tabyana.

I've heard plenty of good things about Victor Bodden but it seems like we get a few "extras" that we don't really need or want. The Tabyana excursion from Carnival seems reasonable -- just a little more than VB but seems you just go straight to the beach -- and I like the idea of the assurance in the transportation. But normally, I've always winged it and avoided the ship's excursions and the somewhat inflated prices.

We were happy with the Tabyana excursion through the ship! Providing reliable transportation directly to and from the beach was all we wanted. :)

My wife and I spent a week there and I would say Maya Key by far was the best. You take a 5 minute boat ride to the island where they have a pool, zoo, swimming with the dolphins and best of all a pier you walk on that brings you right to the reef. We have snorkeled most of the eastern and western Caribbean and this place rates in our top 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Cool Running Tours will take you on a snorkeling tour and can arrange pick up and drop off at the port. You can also add anything else you may want to do to the package, such as a lunch stop or boat tour to sightsee the mangroves on the coast line. Snorkeling is so beautiful in Roatan, you will love it! Bring a disposable underwater camera if you can :)

Check out Roatan Ocean Adventures. We had a great snorkel trip with them, and it was basically a private tour with just my family of three. We did the snorkel-hopper with beach break, but if you're not interested in the beach time, there are snorkel-only packages.

• 3 weeks later...

We took the Tabyana Beach Break excursion back in February. Best snorkeling ever! the reef is only 25-30 yards from the beach, easy to get to. Here's a couple photos I took of some of the sea life I encountered:

P1000268_zpswflnzzsv.jpg

P1000263_zpsmel1u9ci.jpg

Last month, 4 of us had Bodden quote us a "tour" with West Bay Beach only. ON his tour request form, we just wrote that we wanted roundtrip to West Bay Beach. No sightseeing, no monkeys, nothing else.

We had our own private driver take us straight to the beach (we spent time at Infinity Bay) and then took us back to the dock when we were done. $20 each, and he waited at the beach for us. Definitely a great deal...and nice to have pre-arranged (there were 4 ships in port when we were there!)

Last month, 4 of us had Bodden quote us a "tour" with West Bay Beach only. ON his tour request form, we just wrote that we wanted roundtrip to West Bay Beach. No sightseeing, no monkeys, nothing else.

We had our own private driver take us straight to the beach (we spent time at Infinity Bay) and then took us back to the dock when we were done. $20 each,

That is the way to go for sure. We are just going to do West Bay Beach and West End Village with them this time around. No monkeys or rum this time. HOW was Infinity Bay? We love that location. Great beach.

HOW was Infinity Bay? We love that location. Great beach.

Location is great...plus, we spent Xmas week there, so the bar staff knew us.

We went to Bananarama for lunch (love their blue cheese & pepperoni pizza) Amenities are pretty much the same everywhere, I guess -- the pool is nice and a great place to "hide" from the beach vendors.

The pool, plus the proximity to the reef have made this our "1st Choice" for our next cruise [the "boss" says!]

I spent a week on West Bay and snorkeled on the beach in front of Infinity bay daily and also added a few boat snorkeling trip for only $5 with scuba divers at West Bay Divers.

We relied on Cleve a native of Roatan and he and his wife picked us up and took us back to the airport for only $25, we had an island tour for only $40pp and had him literally all day.

He would do what ever you ask, no monkey, or two beaches or only one, etc..

he is amazing and has only excellent reviews.

https://www.facebook.com/clevestoursandadventures/?fref=ts

I don't really want to see monkeys and birds although hearing about the island and seeing some things from the car would be fine. But for the most part, I just want to float around the "kidney" that has been described on this board.

My concern seems to be the complicated nature of doing business in Roatan -- from getting a cab (after an apparent long walk), then even worse getting another to take us back to the ship, and then just the simple matter of accessing the beach. I don't mind eating a meal or having a few drinks if that is what it takes to get a chair.

I guess, to wrap this up, I'm looking for some advice on the whole cab thing. It just seems like everything I read here points to them being unreliable. I could manage, but DW would be a nervous wreck.

Lot's of good thoughts here. For my money, if all you want to do is leave Mahogany bay and go snorkel, the best bet is to book Bananarama independently. There is another thread on them just below this one. They are easy to contact, good price ($35 pp including OK snorkel gear) and will provide a time to pick you up and return you to port.

We used them this past March and looking back on it, it was a good choice. The advantages include using all their facilities and getting a chair on the beach. And, it is a moderate walk down the beach to Infinity Bay where "the kidney" is.

You could jump in your pre-arranged car to Bananarama, find a spot on the beach or not. Use their lockers to stash your stuff, walk down to the spot to snorkel. After you snorkel, go back to bananarama and enjoy the beach, bar, restaurants, plus showers, changing facilities and rest rooms. They have great pizza and often have specials on beer/pizza combos. The food and drinks are good and reasonably priced. When you are done, your driver will take you back.

Has the advantage of getting you where you want to go, option to eat other places, get tours etc to the snorkeling site, but still guest access to a place for the day that has some nice features. No extra stops, got a great history/background while we drove.

Just my suggestion. Have a great time, whatever you decide.

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

As others have already suggested in this thread (relating to your desire for a "no frills/extras just get me to/from the beach/snorkeling safely and on time" day)...Bananarama is your best bet.

The convenience of having a beach chair/lockers/bathrooms/changing rooms and especially a fresh water shower (to rinse off the salt after snorkeling), makes their reasonable package price well worth it.

One can also have the option(s) of buying lunch and drinks a la carte there as well. As a group one will likely end up paying a fraction of the overall cost of doing the ship-sponsored tour to Tabyana. However, many have stated that they've enjoyed the all-inclusiveness of that tour.

We hired a private driver through Victor Bodden, but beyond stopping at their headqtrs., looking at their caged monkeys/birds and stops at a couple viewpoints on the way back to the ship, we pretty much went straight to West Bay Beach and back again. Our driver waited all day for us at a table with the rest of VB's drivers who were also there that day.

It's my understanding that Banarama provides a shuttle service with their package -- which may or may not be economical depending on the amount of people travelling -- (in comparison to simply hiring a private driver).

Either way. It's a fairly seamless process getting over to West Bay Beach whatever you decide to do.

OP hasn't been back since march 29, so I guess he has a plan!!

Good point Skai about the number of people. Also consider if you have to pay $10 to use bananarama. The math should help with the decision.

ML