More R Class Ship's for Oceania

ComeOnLetsGo

Has been for sale and is in terrible condition will cost way to much to bring up to O's standards

but who knows..NCL might buy it anyway..

Jancruz1

Let's remember that NCL recently considered the SS United States to be a "workable" refurbishment ssus_today_stern.jpg

I didn't know that. I thought Princess kept their ships in good condition.
We thought that also, until we saw the original Pacific Princess in Genoa, just about to be scrapped, when the Marina was being launched.

pacific1-470x351.jpgSome of the photographers who were there for the Marina wanted to do nostalgia pieces on her because she was the first of the new generation of cruise ships. Unfortunately, she was a filthy mess.

We thought that also, until we saw the original Pacific Princess in Genoa, just about to be scrapped, when the Marina was being launched.

pacific1-470x351.jpgSome of the photographers who were there for the Marina wanted to do nostalgia pieces on her because she was the first of the new generation of cruise ships. Unfortunately, she was a filthy mess.

But, at that point, she hadn't been owned by Princess for some time, right? It says "Quail cruises" on the side.

I saw that Princess is selling one of their R Class ships and I immediately thought of Oceania. I think adding another R Class ship to the fleet would go well and hope Oceania considers the opportunity. Your thoughts?

Never say never.

I knew about the sale last January...I wondered why they would buy her back. She was in pretty good shape, a little dated. Nothing like O. It was called Ocean Princess and it was a done deal. I heard it from someone at Oceania.

I knew about the sale last January...I wondered why they would buy her back. She was in pretty good shape, a little dated. Nothing like O. It was called Ocean Princess and it was a done deal. I heard it from someone at Oceania.

It was not a done deal..as far as I heard

Jancruz1

But, at that point, she hadn't been owned by Princess for some time, right? It says "Quail cruises" on the side.

That was the odd thing, Quail had proved unequal to the task of operating the ship, so the Pacific Princess reverted back to Princess who were holding the financing.

The ship had very recently passed her safety inspections, and for that reason, it was assumed that she was being readied for resale, not scrapping.

Several buyers did tour her during the time that she sat in Genoa harbor, but her general condition apparently put them off.

The second generation Pacific Princess, which was the original subject of this thread, is of course a much newer vessel, but like her namesake has been operated by multiple owners and was idle for a considerable period of time.

Hopefully, she will overcome these obstacles and continue to trade successfully for many years.

Cruise Critic member PescadoAmarillo has a blog (you can just google it) concerning her 6 10-day back-to-back cruises in Tahiti aboard the Pacific Princess right now. She speaks well of the ship. I've cruised Princess and have always found their ships to be in good condition. Not quite as sparkling as Oceania's Marina which we were on recently, but very very good.