Celebrity Edge Has TWO 5000' Suites?

curtdesilets

This is bordering on the ridiculous. Who needs 5000' of space on a cruise ship? Couldn't Celebrity have made better use of some of that space? From the CC review of the upcoming Edge Ships....

The largest of the two new suite categories will be the two Iconic Suites, each coming in at more than 5,000 square feet. Both will be located above the bridge, facing forward, essentially giving occupants the same view as the captain

I've never quite understood the appeal of huge suites on mass market cruise ships. If I were going to spend $40K on a cruise, I think I'd rather go on a luxury ship where the entire standard of food and service is higher. But this is completely hypothetical because I'm not going to spend $40K on a cruise.

I've never quite understood the appeal of huge suites on mass market cruise ships. If I were going to spend $40K on a cruise, I think I'd rather go on a luxury ship where the entire standard of food and service is higher. But this is completely hypothetical because I'm not going to spend $40K on a cruise.

There is definitely an appeal for some - and since there are so few of these suites it does not need to appeal to large swaths of people. I absolutely love the M-Class Penthouse Suites; overall I prefer to be on a ship at least the size of the M-Class ship rather than on a small, luxury line. Far more to do on Celebrity than luxury lines IMHO and I enjoy the vibe on Celebrity. With the Penthouse suite you have such an amazing space for unwinding, but also all the amenities of a big ship while out and about.

Yes, but that is wrong. From the Celebrity website:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/accommodations/iconic-suites/

Phil

Thanks. That makes more sense and actually kills the entire premise of my argument. - OP

Now for the pseudo-journalists writing for Cruise Critic, maybe you need to spend more time on an editorial staff! :confused:

Here is the link for those two 5000' suites that obviously do not exist... (sheesh!!) Scroll down to Suites...

https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=1130

There is definitely an appeal for some - and since there are so few of these suites it does not need to appeal to large swaths of people. I absolutely love the M-Class Penthouse Suites; overall I prefer to be on a ship at least the size of the M-Class ship rather than on a small, luxury line. Far more to do on Celebrity than luxury lines IMHO and I enjoy the vibe on Celebrity. With the Penthouse suite you have such an amazing space for unwinding, but also all the amenities of a big ship while out and about.

I also love M-Class. But for me, it's the corner FV balconies. I'm booked on one in November. I see that one of the Penthouse Suites is available on that cruise for $6700 pp. So to whoever books it, I'll be waving to you from my corner FV. Those M-Class Penhouse Suites have amazingly huge balconies. I'd be tempted to book one if I had a family reunion, or some other large group.

Gonzo70, Thanks for sharing your viewpoint. I appreciate it.

And that is where we are all different and what makes the world turn. I couldn't think of anything worse than holing up in my cabin without seeing the ship. Depressing.

Phil

Hear, hear Phil! That's the same for the Haven on Norwegian. I saw all those people holed up in their little isolated area and thought, so sad for them. This is a bad trend for the cruise industry. I realize there has always been a class system in terms of Cruise Ships and Ocean Liners (think Titanic) but more and more these days cruise lines want to separate the upper tier from the masses. Problem is although ships are quite big, a full separation would mean stuck in a very small percentage of area on the ship, while simultaneously squeezing more and more "regular" passengers into a smaller space. It just seems ridiculous and feeble minded to me. - Curt, OP.

And that is where we are all different and what makes the world turn. I couldn't think of anything worse than holing up in my cabin without seeing the ship. Depressing.

Phil

For some of the people who book these suites that is the life they're used to. Holed up in a massive Hotel suite - private access, not accessing the wider facilities - privacy!

I'm sure I read of one major A list star (admittedly after a few controversial years they may no longer be quite the major player they were) who took their family on a major cruise line booking the top suite and never leaving.

Yes, we love the M class PH and are also fans of the PH and RS on S class....Best of both worlds, a lovely big ship with great dining options, lots of things to do and then a comfortable private space to retreat to...

Keen to read suite reports re the Edge, they are expensive.....we will enjoy reading about how others find the suites and suite areas before we take the plunge! One thing that does interest us is if some of those higher suite perks we presently enjoy (unlimited speciality dining, premium drinks package...) will still be part of the package.

That's the same for the Haven on Norwegian. I saw all those people holed up in their little isolated area and thought, so sad for them.

You feel sad for people staying in suites? :confused::rolleyes: