Advice Please.........

stefs111

When we get to cabin on first day, and the room steward comes in to introduce him/her self, we always ask for bucket of ice to be kept in our room and filled twice a day. Even though I always ask Special Services (we are handicapped) for padding on the bed and they say they have noted it, it is never done when we arrive in the room. We also request this to be done by the following night because we know they are busy the first day. So for these two requests, we usually give the steward $20. Our tips are prepaid before the cruise. Now, on our last cruise, we didn't know there was an assistant steward until the third day. So, when we tip the steward extra for extra things he does for us, how do we handle the assistant?

We tip extra at the time of any extra request or anytime we feel the steward has done something exceptional. We also tip extra on the last day for the week. I know at that time we can give the assistant extra tip, but I am curious about the ones during the week.

Thank you

I tip the steward $40 at the end of the cruise, if good service is provided. Not at the beginning as my intention is for it to be a tip, not a bribe. That said, I leave it up to him/her to share with their assistant. I would hope they would, but if they don't, I figure it's their business. I never come in contact with their assistants, and I figure that getting extra tips is a perk of being the head steward.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We expect good service and do not see any reason to bribe the room steward with money the first day to get it.

If service warrants it we will give extra the end of the cruise. we also pick up after our selves to make sure job is not harder than it needs to be.

Steward has assistant and it is up to him to share tips as they decide.

We have at times tipped extra for an extraordinary event at the time of the event. An example is when we had a cocktail party while staying in the Captain's Suite on the Sunshine and he prepped it for us and cleaned it up while we were at the steakhouse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544

When we get to cabin on first day, and the room steward comes in to introduce him/her self, we always ask for bucket of ice to be kept in our room and filled twice a day. Even though I always ask Special Services (we are handicapped) for padding on the bed and they say they have noted it, it is never done when we arrive in the room. We also request this to be done by the following night because we know they are busy the first day. So for these two requests, we usually give the steward $20. Our tips are prepaid before the cruise. Now, on our last cruise, we didn't know there was an assistant steward until the third day. So, when we tip the steward extra for extra things he does for us, how do we handle the assistant?

We tip extra at the time of any extra request or anytime we feel the steward has done something exceptional. We also tip extra on the last day for the week. I know at that time we can give the assistant extra tip, but I am curious about the ones during the week.

Thank you

You don't. He pays the assistant. If you bypass your steward he would get more than what he's due, unless there is something specifically he does for you that goes above is normal duties.

But you can still til who and how much you want to anybody.

Tip extra if you like but only at the end of your cruise. Tip each individual separate ,it's a greedy world out there. that's the only sure fire way to make sure the assistant gets their part.

Tip extra if you like but only at the end of your cruise. Tip each individual separate ,it's a greedy world out there. that's the only sure fire way to make sure the assistant gets their part.

How do I know who serviced the cabin? Since I have no way of knowing that I have to leave it up to the lead steward to pass on any deserved tips to the assistant(s).

How do I know who serviced the cabin? Since I have no way of knowing that I have to leave it up to the lead steward to pass on any deserved tips to the assistant(s).

It's your option to tip as you please . You do your way I'll do mine.:rolleyes:

Edited by BoDidly

It's you option to tip as you please . You do your way I'll do mine.:rolleyes:

I fully understand that, I was just pointing out that we have no way of knowing what the assistant's "part" is since we have no way of knowing whether or not he or she even serviced our cabin. Didn't mean to start a kerfuffle.

It is up to them whether they have an assistant or not. Many choose not to as they don't want to split their tips. The cabin stewards I have talked too seem like they would split whatever they get above and beyond accordingly if their assistant did the work. I guess it depends on whether I talk to the assistant too or not whether I would tip direct to them. Last Carnival cruise I talked to the assistant more than the cabin steward. :)

We expect good service and do not see any reason to bribe the room steward with money the first day to get it.

If service warrants it we will give extra the end of the cruise. we also pick up after our selves to make sure job is not harder than it needs to be.

Steward has assistant and it is up to him to share tips as they decide.

Ditto for us :)

We might slip the assistant an extra tip IF we had a fair amount of positive contact with them... otherwise just the steward

I take insult to the "Bribe" comments. I explained that we are requesting extra service from him/her by asking for ice twice a day, and especially, undoing a perfectly made bed to add padding under the sheets, and then making it again. We don't just slip him a twenty on the first day to bribe him to treat us special for the week. We also keep the cabin picked up and clean, even picking up any fuzz that might be on the carpet!

I take insult to the "Bribe" comments. I explained that we are requesting extra service from him/her by asking for ice twice a day, and especially, undoing a perfectly made bed to add padding under the sheets, and then making it again. We don't just slip him a twenty on the first day to bribe him to treat us special for the week. We also keep the cabin picked up and clean, even picking up any fuzz that might be on the carpet!

In your defense, I don't think you bribed them. To me, you ask for something other than their normal duties and gave them money for it. Basically what you did was hired them for their extra service.

To me, bribing would mean that I slip them a Jackson at the beginning of the cruise and then expect them to bend over backwards for me all through the cruise.

If they do something above and beyond their normal duties on their own, then the money you give them extra is a tip.

Well then what would you call it then? It can't be called a tip, because a tip is something given for good service provided. But they haven't provided a service to you yet if you give them money at the beginning if the cruise.

Well then what would you call it then? It can't be called a tip, because a tip is something given for good service provided. But they haven't provided a service to you yet if you give them money at the beginning if the cruise.

Agreed.

We ask for certain things the first day (ice and a few extra wine glasses each day) and by the end of the cruise we evaluate their service and add extra if they are deserving of it.

Since the word "bribe" has such a negative connotation I think the use of that particular term is overly harsh. The PP has pre-paid the tip just as if she had paid the gratuities prior to sailing.

At times the room steward and head waiter each have 2 assistants SO we prepare an envelope for all. We're not rich so the extra tips won't make anyone's car payment but at least they know we appreciate their efforts.

If you're tipping them and he's paying them out of his tips, you are hurting the main guys.

I tip as extra service is requested. I usually put it in an envelope addressed to the steward and his team. Something like "Wayan & Team". With a note inside that specifically thanks them for what ever extra I've asked for.

I rarely meet the assistants, so I leave it up to the steward to determine if they deserve part of the tip. That's his job as head of the team.

Asking for ice is not requesting additional service. It use to be automatic. IMO extra service is something above the norm or having a super messy room that takes longer to service.

Edited by BeachChik

In your defense, I don't think you bribed them. To me, you ask for something other than their normal duties and gave them money for it. Basically what you did was hired them for their extra service.

To me, bribing would mean that I slip them a Jackson at the beginning of the cruise and then expect them to bend over backwards for me all through the cruise.

If they do something above and beyond their normal duties on their own, then the money you give them extra is a tip.

Well said RWolver :) I like the part "Basically what you did was hired them for their extra service" when something above and beyond the normal is desired.

BTW ... to the OP - DH and I feel that having the ice bucket filled 2x a day is a normal duty since there are not ice machines on each deck like a hotel.;)

Well said RWolver :) I like the part "Basically what you did was hired them for their extra service" when something above and beyond the normal is desired.

BTW ... to the OP - DH and I feel that having the ice bucket filled 2x a day is a normal duty since there are not ice machines on each deck like a hotel.;)

Ice machines on a ship used by the public would be a disaster :eek:.

Requesting ice twice a day has often left us with no ice one or two evenings, they just don't fill it . A quick run to Lido to grab a bucket of ice works for sure.