Skip Grand Bazaar for Bosphorus Strait?

I'd like your opinions, please. We're going on the Grand Med cruise on NCL in September. We have private tours booked in Kusadasi and Istanbul. The one in Istanbul includes the Grand Bazaar. We're not big on shopping, although I'd love a Turkish scarf or pashmina! I'm wondering about asking the guide to skip the Grand Bazaar, and drop us off so we can fit in a boat ride up the Bosphorus Strait. The boat rides are about 15 TL, and take 60-90 minutes.

I guess I have three questions... will non-dedicated shoppers regret missing the Grand Bazaar, can I find a scarf in Kusadsi, and is the Bosphorus Strait boat trip as good as it looks online??

I'm not a dedicated shopper. I guess I'm glad I have spent some time in the Grand Bazaar. It's nothing like as colorful as the Khan el Khalili bazaar in Cairo or the souk in Aleppo (now sadly destroyed in the fighting...), but it's still interesting, especially if you get far enough inside to get away from the really touristy stuff at the entrance.

That said, I could miss it for the right alternative. For me, that wouldn't be the Bosphorus cruise. It was somewhat interesting but also a little depressing at how quickly the old wooden mansions and houses are being replaced by modern, multi-million dollar homes on the water. :(

Yes, you can find scarves -- plenty of them -- in Kusadasi. (Though the better quality scarves I got were from Istanbul at the Arasta bazaar.)

I'm not a dedicated shopper. I guess I'm glad I have spent some time in the Grand Bazaar. It's nothing like as colorful as the Khan el Khalili bazaar in Cairo or the souk in Aleppo (now sadly destroyed in the fighting...), but it's still interesting, especially if you get far enough inside to get away from the really touristy stuff at the entrance.

That said, I could miss it for the right alternative. For me, that wouldn't be the Bosphorus cruise. It was somewhat interesting but also a little depressing at how quickly the old wooden mansions and houses are being replaced by modern, multi-million dollar homes on the water. :(

Yes, you can find scarves -- plenty of them -- in Kusadasi. (Though the better quality scarves I got were from Istanbul at the Arasta bazaar.)

Thanks for your detailed reply! I guess I worry about getting lost in a giant marketplace, and since I have no desire to buy or even bargain...what's the point?

Thanks for your detailed reply! I guess I worry about getting lost in a giant marketplace, and since I have no desire to buy or even bargain...what's the point?

Interesting photo ops? Curiosity about local culture?

If you're not interested, you're not. There are lots of options in Istanbul, so you could certainly find something else to do with the time. But you did ask for opinions. :D

We transited the Bosporus on our Celebrity Constellation Black Sea cruise last year. Also, we visited the Grand Bazaar as well as the Spice Bazaar in Istanbul.

We enjoyed both and with our eyewitness travel book we had details on the buildings on the Bosporus.

The Bazaars are worth a visit just to see. We didn't purchase anything, but it is interesting to see what is for sale. The Spice Bazaar was probably more interesting than the Grand.

It is hard to pick one or the other. Just take care that you don't get lost finding the boat and getting back to the ship.

Those sites are not the main sites, in my opinion. Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Hippodrome and Topkapi are the main sites.

We transited the Bosporus on our Celebrity Constellation Black Sea cruise last year. Also, we visited the Grand Bazaar as well as the Spice Bazaar in Istanbul.

We enjoyed both and with our eyewitness travel book we had details on the buildings on the Bosporus.

The Bazaars are worth a visit just to see. We didn't purchase anything, but it is interesting to see what is for sale. The Spice Bazaar was probably more interesting than the Grand.

It is hard to pick one or the other. Just take care that you don't get lost finding the boat and getting back to the ship.

Those sites are not the main sites, in my opinion. Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Basilica Cistern, Hippodrome and Topkapi are the main sites.

Appreciate your opinions! We are in port 13 hours,and have a 8 hour tour that goes to all the main sites. The debate is what can we fit in the last bit of time? Thanks!

I think the Spice Market is very interesting too. Much smaller and easy to get around in than the Grand Bazaar. But I just can't imagine not going to the Grand Bazaar if you are in Istanbul. Even if you are not a shopper, it is a part of the Turkish Culture that should not be missed! On our last visit to Istanbul we were scheduled to do a Bosphorus Cruise but it got cancelled because of high winds. So this could happen. We just spent the time exploring the city on our own. Of course we were there 3 days.

I think the Spice Market is very interesting too. Much smaller and easy to get around in than the Grand Bazaar. But I just can't imagine not going to the Grand Bazaar if you are in Istanbul. Even if you are not a shopper, it is a part of the Turkish Culture that should not be missed! On our last visit to Istanbul we were scheduled to do a Bosphorus Cruise but it got cancelled because of high winds. So this could happen. We just spent the time exploring the city on our own. Of course we were there 3 days.

I was in Istanbul in May, visiting the 'must do' sights and a few others. The Grand Bazaar was pretty overwhelming, having a ridiculous number of vendors; many of them VERY pushy. For me, the Spice Market was better, because there were a large variety of items and products, with less pressure. A few cafes nearby, also. After all of that, visit BOTH if you have the time. In the GB, be careful to keep track of where you are; it is LARGE!

If u have never been to a Market it might be something to experience. For me

it was too crowded and the vendors were very aggressive. the bosphorus boat

ride was very relaxing and interesting. there are many other places you will be able to purchase a scarf.

For me this is a no brainer……. I would head to the grand bazaar even if I wasnt a shopper.

This is the place for hundreds of years that many cultures from all over the world have come to buy, sell and barter their wares. Istanbul is a crossroads and this is the spot where all the trade took place. There are also numerous mosques within the bazaar.

You can get a map of the bazaar right there. It is color coded by what the area sells. Jewelry/gold/silver is one color/area, clothing is another etc etc… Our first visit we marked where we went in so we knew where to go back to….. we were there early so it was neat to watch the shopkeepers opening up their stores, mopping the floor in front, having their morning tea delivered (on neat little tea trays in fancy cups) and just generally watching the place come alive.

Our second visit we ventured deep into the bazaar and found the older sections which were truly amazing. I found some dusty heaped-to-the-ceiling antique stores (real antiques) and some other unusual shops.

To me, this is just as much a part of the history of Istanbul as Hagia Sophia and the other historical sites. And, if I find a beautiful scarf or lamp or carpet purse or piece of jewelry while exploring - even better ;)

The Grand Bazaar (actually it is the Covered Bazaar) is more about an "event" then actual shopping. DW and I have been to Istanbul many times (on ships and on land) and we always spend some time walking around part of the Grand Bazaar to soak up the atmosphere, look at some of the wares, etc. One thing we would never recommend is taking a "tour" to the Grand Bazaar as we see this as akin to taking a "tour" to a large shopping mall. You can go to the Bazaar on your own, wander around and get delightfully lost, find your way outside, etc. I sure would not want a guide taking me to their "cousins" stall or their 10th cousin 20 times remove's stall. Most decent guide books (we prefer the Rick Steves series) do talk about the different sections within the bazaar. We also recommend walking through the Spice Market area (Egyptian Bazaar) which is totally different then the Grand Bazaar and quite interesting. I have never seen more spices and grains anywhere!

Hank

My 24 year-old son just came back this week from Istanbul where he bought a beautiful scarf for me (Grand Bazaar? Don't know...) I think the scarf was made in China. God bless him -- so was the scarf he bought me when he was in London! And the wrap from Tanzania was most assuredly made in India...so good luck with buying that Turkish scarf in Istanbul...:rolleyes: (I hope you are a more savvy shopper than my most good-hearted, generous and thoughtful son is!)

The Grand Bazaar can be overwhelming for sure but it is an experience. We decided we wanted to shop for four inch painted ceramic tiles in blue and white. That made the shopping easier. We first went to a couple shops and haggled until we found their lowest price and walked away. (It can be done!) Then we went to another shop and sat down while they brought us tiles to choose from. Their bottom price was the same and they sent a runner to other shops to get tiles from them so they all seem to help each other. We got eight tiles which we carried on the plane for our trip home.

I bought scarfs and pashminas and they are likely from China. I have since seen them in China, Bosnia and elsewhere.

You could spend days in the bazaar and I hope to get back to spend more time.

We also liked the spice market but even more interesting was the walk we took between the two down a back street full of supplies for sewing: one store with nothing but buttons, another with buckles, another with lace trimmings, etc.

You cruise in and out of Istanbul. I would not miss the markets in order to take another cruise.

A 60 - 90 minute tourist cruise won't take you right up the Bosphorus, nor (certainly with a 60 minute one) will it even stop anywhere. You'll probably pass under the big suspension bridges, then turn around.

You'll be outsiders looking in from a distance.

We've cruised the Bosphorus by tourist boat & by ferry - they're chalk & cheese.

But a full day using a local ferry would be several days into a longer stay in Istanbul.

As other posters, the Grand Bazaar is for browsing & soaking up the atmosphere - shopping doesn't have to come into it.

Yes, some folk find it heavy, and a relaxing Bosphorus cruise is the complete opposite.

But it'd be the Grand Bazaar for me.

JB :)

I tend to agree with those who have recommended that The Grand Bazaar is not to be missed! Istanbul is a remarkable and fascinating city - one to be savored and enjoyed to the utmost. Granted there are many extremely interesting and attractive sites to visit, but to me - The Grand Bazaar is at the beginning of the list!

Shopping in the East is so much different - and many, especially we Americans tend to be overwhelmed by Turkish customs. "No, I just want to look around" has not an easy translation from the English custom..... and the merchants will go to extremes to interest you in the wares. Get used to it and don't be afraid to say "No".

However, the Grand Bazaar is unlike anything else you may come across and should be experienced. One thing I recommend, since the place is so large, is to take a business card from the first place that you enter. Then later, use that card to show and ask for directions to get you back to your entrance.

My 24 year-old son just came back this week from Istanbul where he bought a beautiful scarf for me (Grand Bazaar? Don't know...) I think the scarf was made in China. God bless him -- so was the scarf he bought me when he was in London! And the wrap from Tanzania was most assuredly made in India...so good luck with buying that Turkish scarf in Istanbul...:rolleyes: (I hope you are a more savvy shopper than my most good-hearted, generous and thoughtful son is!)

Oh yeah, this can totally happen……. unless you know what to look for. I will say that the Turkish pashminas are not cheap either. Do some research, know the fabrics and look for an "original" tag saying it Made in Turkey. We purchased one for my MIL - definitely hand embroidered and unlike the other cheaper ones - which we bought a few of for gifts ;)

I think that knowing what you are buying is important for any item….. research is key.

Okay--you win! You've completely talked me into the Bazaar ---and the spice market, too (I forgot about saffron!) and I will enjoy the Strait as the ship sails into port. We are there such a short time, and I want to see as much as we can, knowing there is no way I can do more than just get a taste of the place. Thanks for all your opinions!

Deb

...but I still want a scarf. I can always lop off the tag, right??

Okay--you win! You've completely talked me into the Bazaar ---and the spice market, too (I forgot about saffron!) and I will enjoy the Strait as the ship sails into port. We are there such a short time, and I want to see as much as we can, knowing there is no way I can do more than just get a taste of the place. Thanks for all your opinions!

Deb

...but I still want a scarf. I can always lop off the tag, right??

You CAN find scarves made in Turkey, you just have to look for them specifically. Most so-called pashminas aren't really pashmina (a specific type of wool) and most aren't made in Turkey.

I have a lovely raw silk, hand-dyed ikat pattern scarf that I got at the Spice Bazaar. There's a shop there, not far from the Eminonou entrance, that had a lot of nice, traditional Turkish goods, from pillow covers to scarves.

For shoppers looking for really nice goods made in Turkey (kelim bags and pillow covers, rugs, ikat, suzani embroidered goods, tribal jewelry, leather slippers, etc.) I recommend the smaller Arasta bazaar beside the Blue Mosque.

I second cruisemom42's recommendation for the Arasta Bazaar. Followed her advice in 2011 and had a nice experience. The shop owners are not pushy and they are willing to just talk. Learned some things about Turkey and bought some nice Turkish made items.

<<<Karen>>>

When you go in the shops of the Arasta bazaar( which I would definitely visit over the Grand Bazaar if you are interested in quality pashminas) tell them you are looking for "best quality" and they will bring you out a nice selection from the back. Most tourists don" t know the difference and just buy they cheaper ones (not true soft pashminas) on display in the front room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were surprised that, when we bought spices at the Spice Market, the price shown by weight was a different price when not buying the whole measure. Who could use or drag home that much?! It wasn't advertised as a two-tier price. After I paid the bill (and caught on), I told the vendor I felt I'd paid too much and he hadn't "made my experience a good one". So, he threw in an extra package of saffron and a tube of mixed spices to mix with olive oil for bread dipping.

We only had a short time at the Spice Market and bought too quickly nearer the entrance. The same package of saffron was significantly less expensive only a few blocks further into the market.

• 2 weeks later...