Panama Canal

propwash

I'm looking for some opinions on whether to take a full canal crossing or the partial. I've poked around in the Panama Canal forum, but want the HAL forum for some help.

Thanks

Danny

Oh my, oh my what a question and you will get so many different opinions.

I've done both. The 10 day Partial Panama Canal Sunfarer on the Zuiderdam and the full meal deal on the Westerdam.

If you have the time, do the whole thing. It's a lot of fun and don't let some ports put you off. Hit my live thread if you have time and you will see some surprises.

On the other hand, the 10 day was a glorious experience and you do get a taste of the Panama and it is fun. The other ports are good so if time is short it's a great option.

I don't regret doing either one, but if time and money were not an issue, I'd probably do the full Panama again, keeping in mind that I enjoyed both cruises very much ;)

I have not done the partial, but I have done the full Canal crossing more than once. If one can afford the time and money, it is very worthwhile. Particularly if one thinks this will be the "one and only" for such a journey.

Edited by rkacruiser

Unlike Jacqui, we have not yet done the "full transit" but we got all the way through by taking the HAL excursion from Gatun Lake via the smaller "ferry" boat through to Panama City. We were returned to the Zuiderdam via bus from Panama City.

Thus we got to see the whole canal without the added cost or time required for the full transit aboard the HAL ship simply by taking the Sunfarer and the Gatun excursion. We think we saw more of the canal operations from closer-up that way as you can see things you can't from the ship. See photos below.

Lock operation from Zuiderdam stern:

ENGINESTART.jpg

Our ferry moored at the edge of a lock:

WEATHER322.jpg

View from the "ferry" from down inside the lock as it fills:

INTHELOCK.jpg

Edited by AZNative2000

If you can do the full transit. The partial transit is not the same. I love this cruise. I've done it many times.

Thanks Cruz Chic. I know everyone has their opinions about each way, I'm looking to see what those opinions are. Have you done the 19 day or 21 day trip?

Danny

Each set of locks is different, and the Culebra (formerly Gaillard) Cut is different from Gatun Lake, so just a partial in-and-out of the Gatun Locks is like seeing the first half of a movie twice IMO. If you can only do the partial, at least take the excursion described by AZNative2000.

Thanks Cruz Chic. I know everyone has their opinions about each way, I'm looking to see what those opinions are. Have you done the 19 day or 21 day trip?

Danny

I'm going on my first Canal trip in April. There was a 15 day option for my particular cruise so if time is one of the considerations this might work for you too since it's shorter.

Danny

I've done a number of 14 to 16 day cruises and I think one 19 day. Frankly, going from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego is enough for me. After that it gets quite cold, even after you leave cabo. It can be quite rough too after that. I like going east to west because you gain a few hours,

I've done a number of 14 to 16 day cruises and I think one 19 day. Frankly, going from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego is enough for me. After that it gets quite cold, even after you leave cabo. It can be quite rough too after that. I like going east to west because you gain a few hours,

So what time of the year did you travel though the canal?

Danny

We have done a few partial Panama Canal cruises.

Have done many full transits -- which we much prefer. So much to see.

The only draw back to a full transit is that you can not get off the ship to do any tours. But that doesn't bother us as we have already done many of the tours.

If you can do the full transit -- go for it.

Seems like most of the previous posters agree that a full transit is the better choice and I too am in that camp. That's not say the partial transit is a poor choice, because for all the reasons listed... time off, costs, flights, etc. it can be a great alternative. Of course in order to see a large part of the Canal you do have to take the shore excursion that takes you through Gaillard Cut and the two Pacific Locks. The partial transit/shorex option does have one major drawback... you don't see much of Gatun Lake. Gatun Lake is often the sacrificed part of the Canal, too me it is a real jewel in this crown. What was once the largest man made lake with old growth forested shores and small islands... you are practically looking at something that is just as it was over a hundred years ago.

There is one distinct advantage in the partial transit/shorex option... that is seeing the locks operation from your Panamax ship first thing in the AM and then experience it all from your excursion vessel later in the day. Two completely different feels from different perspectives.

As I said earlier, I would opt for the full transit, but both are great cruises. Doing one first and then the other will no way impact your enjoyment for either cruise.

So what time of the year did you travel though the canal?

Danny

We went through in April and went all the way to Vancouver. The weather was beautiful and the seas were smooth. We might have been lucky, but it was a great sailing. I did do a live thread at the time as well if you want a blow by blow.

I also recommend the full transit as it is very different on the 2 sides of Lake Gatun. Not only are the locks different (3 successive steps vs. more individually spaced locks) but the landscape is also very different. The 'Pacific' side also gives you better views of the new massive locks they are building for the super-sized ships.

After several transits, I still find the Canal amazing in its simple mechanical elegance that has lasted for over 100 years. Whatever you decide should be an awesome experience!

rkacruiser.... What time of year did you travel though the canal?

Danny

The partial transits are offered from usually October through April on the Zuiderdam. There are 10 and 11 day itineraries. We have done them in November and February and March. Sometimes we had rain -- weather unpredictable.

Our full transits -- have done them in October, December (different cruise line), March, April, May.

Most were from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle and vice versa.

But in 2012 HAL offered a more port intensive transit -- 21 days from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego.

The partial transits are offered from usually October through April on the Zuiderdam. There are 10 and 11 day itineraries. We have done them in November and February and March. Sometimes we had rain -- weather unpredictable.

Our full transits -- have done them in October, December (different cruise line), March, April, May.

Most were from Ft Lauderdale to Seattle and vice versa.

But in 2012 HAL offered a more port intensive transit -- 21 days from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego.

Westerdam is doing a 21 day transit FLL to SD in March, 2016.

Edited by DaveOKC

We've done full transits of the canal twice. Once in April (with "kazu") on Westerdam and once in December on Celebrity Infinity. Decent weather in April, although there were a few showers. Rain and thunder in December. But neither hindered our enjoyment.

One thing to consider is whether the ship overnights in one of the cities near the entrances to the canal. Our December cruise over nighted in Colon before transiting, allowing passengers to do excursions into Panama, which was nice. Our April cruise did not have an over night so there were no excursions.

Either way you decide I'm sure you'll be amazed. Some very nice photos posted earlier gives you an idea of what's in store. :)