RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

Six of us traveling together used Rome in Limo in Sept for our 1 day Naples stop on the Celebrity Reflection. We were met just outside the Port Terminal by Diego who took us to Mount Vesuvius for a climb to the top. Diego was a delightful and very knowledgeable guide who kept us informed and thoroughly entertained all day. After our climb up and down Vesuvius, we were off to Positano where we had lunch at a restaurant recommended by Diego. This was a wonderful restaurant with a million dollar view. The price for a 4 course lunch was 25 Euros which was a very good value we later realized as we were wandering about the town and looking at prices on menu's from other eating establishments. Diego even presented us with a bottle of wine to enjoy with lunch. After lunch and some wandering about town, Diego took us to Herculaneum where we met with guide Roberto who gave us a quick tour of the fantastic ruins. We substituted Herculaneum in place of Pompeii the day before we arrived in port because we realized we would not have enough time to properly tour all of the ruins in Pompeii. Rome in Limo was able to accommodate our change of plans. We got back to the boat with time to spare, saw way more than we would have on a Ship Excursion and had an absolutely delightful day. I give Rome in Limo 5 stars for service and value! :)

We had a private tour with RIL for both Rome and Florence/Pisa.

What a wonderful experience!! For Rome our Driver (and phenomenally knowledgeable) was ANGELO and likewise our tour Guide AZZURRA for the Vatican. This experience went beyond our expectations!!

Pisa/Florence Driver a native to the area and also extremely informative was GIOVANNI.

They made this the most memorable visit that we have had to these cities in Europe. This was the first time that we used RIL. We will forever use this company as it was well worth doing so.(over 300,0000 CC hits speaks volumes).

We used Rome in Limo for two tours in early October. I chose them because of their excellent feedback on CC and TripAdvisor. There were eight of us and the group was formed by using the tour sharing sign-up option at the RIL website. I posted the availability of four places on the CC Roll Call for our cruise and had no problem getting others to join. Our first tour was out of Naples, “Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano”. Stefano was our driver/guide and he was excellent. As we drove down the coast to Positano he pointed out things and stopped for photos along the way. At one stop he pointed to his hometown crossed the way and talked about his life there. We were given time to explore Positano and then it was back up the coast to Sorrento for lunch at a very nice restaurant he recommended. After lunch we walked around and then were picked up and taken to Pompeii where we met our guide, Lena (I think that was her name). This was arranged by RIL at our expense. She gave us an wonderful tour including showing us some newly opened areas. Then it was back to Naples where at the end of the tour Stefano presented us with a bottle of Limoncello to enjoy later.

The next day we took the “Highlights of Rome” tour with Enrico, our driver/guide. He got us into Rome from the port in no time. I asked if we could see an additional church, St John in Lateran, and Enrico took us there first. Then he drove us around to the various sites with commentary about each one and plenty of time at each for exploring and picture taking. RIL suggests that you pre-purchase tickets for the Coliseum and the Vatican so at the Coliseum we were able to walk pretty much right in. After a quick lunch we went to the Vatican where we meet our guide, Federica. She was great, got us quickly inside using our pre-purchased tickets and somehow managed to get us round and through the hordes of people. She explained many of the museum's treasures to us. We saw the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. At the end Enrico was there to met us, took us to an overlook for great photos of Rome and got us back to port with time to spare.

I would highly recommend Rome in Limo. They are professional, provide everything they say they will and Jany in the office is a joy to work with. If you are going all the way to visit these ports do your touring with the best, Rome in Limo.

<<<Karen>>>

An ad-hoc group of 4 Americans and 4 Brits came together for the Highlights of Rome tour. The driver, Mauricio, was friendly, informative and helpful. The guide to the Vatican museums (whose name I forget) was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. The lunch in a small non-tourist cafe was fine. The arrangements worked perfectly. The Vatican needs to sort out access to the Sistine chapel, especially for wheelchairs, but even Rome In Limo can't solve that issue. Back to the ship in good time. Excellent day.

Used Rome in Limo in Rome and Florence on our 12 day Celebrity Equinox cruise. Our drivers were Vinny and Venecio. What a great experience! Met right outside ship and were pretty much the first ones out. The cars were beautiful S-Class Mercedes and we saw so much in such a short time. They recommended great places to eat and pretty cheap too. I will use them again next trip for sure. Also they provided a guide for the Vatican (Frederica) who was great and moved us through quickly so we were able to see everything in the short time given. Five stars to them

We were a family of 5 women, 3 generations (ages 86, 66, 64, 45, 43) traveling for 2 weeks on a land/sea vacation. Since my grandmother is 86 and has some mobility issues (she can walk, but needs to rest frequently - additionally, she was diagnosed with lung cancer a couple of weeks before the start of our trip), we decided to do private tours for all but 2 of our activities. That way we would be free to enjoy all that we wanted to, but at our own pace without having to worry if we would be holding up others.

After many months of research on both Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor, I chose Rome In Limo for private tours in Rome and Pisa/Florence.

Enrico was our guide in Rome and was truly a wonderful introduction to a city that we had been looking forward to for more than a year. He was prompt in picking us up from the airport that morning which was very reassuring since we were in an unfamiliar country where there could have been language barrier problems (his English is excellent). He was knowledgeable, informative really listened to our questions and interests. Enrico was great at letting us know what our options were and any kind of issues that we might encounter (mobility-wise) when we were deciding what to do that day. He always made sure to get us as close to the entry as possible so as to limit my grandmother's walking distance. At the end of the day, he was helpful in directing us to a dining spot and giving us ideas for the next couple of days that we would be in Rome.

Sabrina was equally as excellent as our guide for Pisa/Florence. The second week of our trip was a cruise so this was basically a private shore excursion. She picked us up from the port (again, very prompt) and, like Enrico, was knowledgeable about the areas that we were visiting, spoke great English and always took my grandmother's mobility into consideration. She allowed us free time in both Pisa and Florence to just take in the sights of these exceptional cities. In Florence, she directed us to what was probably one of the best lunches we had during our trip, a small sandwich storefront (sorry, I don't recall the name) that was cheap and awesome (like 3 Euro for a sandwich). She was especially helpful in getting us to the appropriate areas for our visit to the Accademia Gallery. It was way more complicated than it sounded when I purchased the tickets - you had to go to one place to get the actual entry tickets and another to get in the entry line. Before returning to the ship, she showed us a most excellent viewing spot from which we could see virtually all of Florence - it was amazing.

I highly recommend Rome In Limo if you are traveling in Italy. I plan on going back for another visit in a few years and will absolutely be calling on their services again.

We used Rome in Limo for two tours in early October. I chose them because of their excellent feedback on CC and TripAdvisor. There were eight of us and the group was formed by using the tour sharing sign-up option at the RIL website. I posted the availability of four places on the CC Roll Call for our cruise and had no problem getting others to join. Our first tour was out of Naples, “Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano”. Stefano was our driver/guide and he was excellent. As we drove down the coast to Positano he pointed out things and stopped for photos along the way. At one stop he pointed to his hometown crossed the way and talked about his life there. We were given time to explore Positano and then it was back up the coast to Sorrento for lunch at a very nice restaurant he recommended. After lunch we walked around and then were picked up and taken to Pompeii where we met our guide, Lena (I think that was her name). This was arranged by RIL at our expense. She gave us an wonderful tour including showing us some newly opened areas. Then it was back to Naples where at the end of the tour Stefano presented us with a bottle of Limoncello to enjoy later.

The next day we took the “Highlights of Rome” tour with Enrico, our driver/guide. He got us into Rome from the port in no time. I asked if we could see an additional church, St John in Lateran, and Enrico took us there first. Then he drove us around to the various sites with commentary about each one and plenty of time at each for exploring and picture taking. RIL suggests that you pre-purchase tickets for the Coliseum and the Vatican so at the Coliseum we were able to walk pretty much right in. After a quick lunch we went to the Vatican where we meet our guide, Federica. She was great, got us quickly inside using our pre-purchased tickets and somehow managed to get us round and through the hordes of people. She explained many of the museum's treasures to us. We saw the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. At the end Enrico was there to met us, took us to an overlook for great photos of Rome and got us back to port with time to spare.

I would highly recommend Rome in Limo. They are professional, provide everything they say they will and Jany in the office is a joy to work with. If you are going all the way to visit these ports do your touring with the best, Rome in Limo.

<<<Karen>>>

Karen,

How long were you in port? We are on the Spirit in May. We arrive at 8 am and depart at 7pm. My hubby and I have been to the Vatican and Coliseum but our friends have not and wanted to do both. I was concerned we couldn't do them both and make it back to the boat on time. Thanks! Kathy

One more thing ... when people say they did the Coliseum did that include the Forum?

It can, if you want. The Forum is nearby, and worth an hour or or two of your time. The Coliseum is classic and definitely interesting. The Forum is interesting on a much higher level.

SKSMIKE5-Kathy

We were in port for about the same length of time and got back with plenty of time to spare. We had about 30-45 minutes at the Coliseum, I think and the Vatican tour is about 2 to 2 and a half hours. Rome in Limo asks you to book tickets for both in advance, the Vatican for 2pm. Book a guide through them, it's well worth it. The Vatican was VERY crowded but the guide keep us together, explained many things and got us through. Rome in Limo did an excellent job and I would highly recommend them. Jany was wonderful to work with and will answer all your questions.

<<<Karen>>>

Just looked at my reply above....wrote it quickly last night :o. You really need a guide for the Vatican NOT the Coliseum. A good guide book or online info is all you need (since you've been there before you can tell your friends about it ;)). The driver/guide took us pasted parts of the Forum so you do get a look at it. If you are going to Ephesus you'll see much better ruins there then you will in Rome. We were in port from 7am to 7pm and RIL picked us up at 8am. For some reason the port was crowded and we had to walk to the van and it took more time to drive out but we still had a lot of time in Rome and got back before 6pm.

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

Thanks for the info on Vatican and Coliseum. One of the tour companies I was emailing asked if we were taking the train in to Rome from Civitavecchia. Has anyone done that? I haven't searched these forums yet for it, but I had not seen anything in what reading I have done!

This is the third year in a row that we were cruising in Italy and of course I checked out the different tours available from Rome in Limo in the ports that we would visit . After contacting Jany in the office who is always fast to answer and also gives some great tips I had decided on our 3 tours and through Cruise critic found some fellow cruisers to join us for a group of 6 or 8 in one of the nice Mercedes vans . This year we decided on a tour from Naples to Ravello , Amalfi and Positano and as a small bonus a wonderful olive oil tasting near Sorrento . Our driver was Tony , personable who gave us lots of information and tips of what to see , and in perfect English . Tony was also a great driver which is necessary specially in the mountains and along the Amalfi coast .

Our secong excursion was in Palermo to the small coastal village of Cefalu .

Valeria was our guide who showed us the high lites of Palermo first which is not very easy because of all the traffic specially because there was some kind of a student strike going on . We were happy to leave Palermo to go to the wonderful small town with a hugh Duomo in its centre and some lovely streets to walk around with nice little restaurants overlooking the beaches .

Valeria did a great job and we all had a very nice day .

Our third and last tour was in Livorno , I had asked Jany if Elizabetta was available as our driver guide to the wonderful medieval Etruscan towns of Volterra and San Gimignano because we had so much fun with her last year ( mama mia !! ) Elizabetta was waiting for us , a small group of 8 , when we went ashore . Our group was formed with the help of Cruise Critic postings . We had a great group looking forward to these wonderful towns but first E. had a big surprise for us on the way to Volterra she veered of to the town where Andrea Bocelli has the family farm and visited the place in the rolling hills of Tuscany where once each year he gives a special concert in the fields on a specially built stage . Elizabetta is very enthusiastic about this beautiful area of Italy gave us lots of information and history about the two towns , gave us tips of what to go and see and was never rushed to leave . Our tour would last 9 hours she was a great driver which at the end of our day showed when we approached a hugh rain and wind storm near Livorno .

We all had a wonderful day and ourselves we hope to come back some day for another tour with her to another couple of locations around Livorno .

I can wholeheartedly recommend Rome in Limo . I am sure you won't regret this choice because of the great people that took care of us . Also there is no comparisson , a tour with 8 or a hugh bus of 42 or more from your cruise company at a higher cost and you will never get the experiences that we had with RIL .:D:D:D A 5 Star company !

Edited by sailingdutchy

I have no hesitation in recommending Rome in Limo. My cruise ended at Civitavecchia, and I had time to spend before arriving at my hotel near Fiumicino Airport that evening. As I'd visited Rome before, I decided a highlights tour would be a good way to occupy my time, and I had a great day with my driver/guide Enrico. In addition to being very knowledgeable about the city, he was also delightful company and was most responsive to my interests. When I mentioned having seen paintings by Caravaggio on Malta, he asked if I'd like to see two of Rome's Caravaggios - and in just a few minutes, I was at Santa Maria del Popolo, admiring two amazing paintings. During a lunch break, he tipped me off to a spot for some of Rome's best panini - very tasty. I'd purchased my Colosseum entry ticket beforehand, and Enrico gave me helpful instructions on bypassing the long lines and getting inside so I could make the most of my time. He maneuvered our car through some very narrow streets and into piazzas I couldn't have visited on a bus tour. We were at my Fiumicino hotel in good time for my check-in. All in all, it was a most enjoyable time, and I felt well looked after.

We had a group of 19 people sailing on the Celebrity Equinox. We used RomeInLimo in Florence/Pisa, Rome and Amalfi Coast. We couldn't have been happier with their service. Our price included a guide. The guides were very knowledgeable and helpful. The bus drivers did an outstanding job, sometimes in difficult circumstances. When we come back to Italy we will definitely be contacting RomeInLimo again.

We were part of a group of 16 which used RIL for a trip to Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento in October while on Liberty of the Seas.

We decided to spend a few extra euro on a guide. It maybe cost the 16 of us €20 each, it was the best €20 we spent all week.

As expected, Libby, our guide, was a mine of information in Pompeii. We thought that was her job done, but she stayed with us for the day, guiding us through Positano and Sorrento (where she is from!).

Along with Nick our driver, they answered questions, dispensed advice and ensured that an excursion which I had looked forward to for months not only met my high expectations, it exceeded them!

I'm booking romeinlimo for some of my pre-cruise time in Rome, thanks to the many accolades here on CC. My questions:

1-They are suggesting an 8 hour tour with a driver, and a guide for the Vatican. Do we need a guide for other sites? Or is the driver usually knowledgeable enough to provide info?

2-Have you ever just gotten a guide at the Vatican rather than scheduled one in advance? If so, how did that work out? Did you still have to stand in line for tickets? Can you just visit the "church" on your own without tickets? (I obviously have lots more research to do! I visited Rome years ago, but I was on a tour and they took care of everything.)

3-Do you tip on top of the fee for the driver, or is it included?

4- Not a romeinlimo question, but has anyone ever done a day trip from Rome to Pompeii? Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for answers to my questions!

Used their service, great day including stops and driver. Would do it again.

Used their service, great day including stops and driver. Would do it again.

we just got back and Toured Rome, NAples and Florence with RIL. cannot reccomend these folks enough. Nicole was our guide and she did an amazing job considering the really packed schedule. And we were able to see everything we wanted to and then some. We Vitied the Colliseum,Pantheon, all the major landmarks in the old city, and we even squeezed in a trip to the catacombs because our guide was so good at arranging everything.

Naples we did Pompeii ( and we got a guide, Loved it, Paolia) She was a reall good guide and took us to places we did not get to see our first tour of Pompeii. Som much nicer with a smaller group.

Florence was a very energetic tour guide. She was so enthusiatic as she told us about the places we were visiting. We visisted Pisa first, her home town, Then headed to Florence and toured the 2 big museums, as well as the church where Michael Angelo and others were burried. No guide there.

• 2 weeks later...

We used RomeInLimo for our transfers on our recent trip to Europe. Once again, they did not disappoint. Reservations, communications and scheduling our day in Florence were handled promptly and professionally. They are always on time (or early) and their vehicles are always very clean and comfortable. Angelo was our driver in Rome. He was waiting at the airport when we arrived and took us to our hotel and also drove us to the port in Civitavecchia the next day. Fabrizio was our driver in Florence. He was waiting for us on the dock at the port of Livorno in the morning, drove us to Florence (including a stop at the Piazzale Michelangelo), dropped us off at the Accademia and helped us get our tickets at the reservation window and picked us up at the end of the day at the Uffizi Gallery. I couldn’t recommend Rome In Limo more highly; we will definitely be using them again when we return to Italy.

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in booking RomeInLimo in Rome and in Naples. The topic of booking a private guide for the Vatican or Pompeii/Herculaneum comes up. How much do these guided tours run usually cost?

Thanks in advance :p

countdown.pl?image=santorini2&name=Mademoiselle22&date=5-31-2015&text=&ship=Norwegian Spirit

NCL Spirit - 31/05/2015 - (Grand Mediterranean starting from Venice)

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in booking RomeInLimo in Rome and in Naples. The topic of booking a private guide for the Vatican or Pompeii/Herculaneum comes up. How much do these guided tours run usually cost?

Thanks in advance :p

countdown.pl?image=santorini2&name=Mademoiselle22&date=5-31-2015&text=&ship=Norwegian Spirit

NCL Spirit - 31/05/2015 - (Grand Mediterranean starting from Venice)

E-mail Janie at RIL and she can give you all the information. They make all the arrangements for the guides and they meet you. RIL had a guide waiting for us at the Vatican and at the entrance to the Pompeii site. I don't remember exactly the cost for the special guides bit would not have done it any other way! Just call Janie and she will give you all the various options and costs. If you want something not mentioned on their website or want to mix and match a tour listed it is never a problem....

For such historic sites and very limited time you can't do any better than RIL they are the best!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

We used RIL in 2013 in Naples, Florence and Rome. They are fantastic and can't imagine trying to see all of these sights without them.

Jany is great to work with and gets back to you so quickly. The drivers were all so professional and fun!! I love when they get us singing!!!

I am going back to Italy this May and have already set up tours with RIL again!!!