Have you used them to tour Ephesus... Good or bad experience?

We are contemplating taking a private shore excursion there during our Sept cruise. A local company http://www.shoreexcursionskusadasi.com/ which apparently has another website under Celsus Travel (both associated with Mr Burak Ocal) offer a good deal that we may choose. They do not require a deposit and will accept payment to the driver in American dollars (instead of in the local currency as most other private tours require)

Question: Has any one used them and have your experiences been good or bad?

Mike

Hi

I didn ´t use that company - but I can tell you, there is never a need to pay in turkish lira.

All agencies accept US-$, Euro and - if you tell them they are able to take credit cards.

We payed with card (our guide went to a local shop nearby the port and there we were able to pay the amount we were told in the confirmations in US$ with creditcard).

We used Ephesus Deluxe and were very satisfied - but I am sure, other companies are OK too.

Wendy

I used Hello Ephesus a couple years ago, and I was very happy with them. It seemed like a good value. Some people are unhappy because lunch was served at a rug factory. we knew in advance and our group was fine with it...the food was tasty, the factory tour was informative and reasonably brief, I enjoyed seeing some rugs displayed. Nobody bought anything and we left without any hassle. Funny, of all my pictures from that trip my dear sister in law (an amateur weaver) wanted the rug factory pics.

I cannot comment on the two companies you mention.

We used Celsus on our Jade Med cruise 3 years ago. My husband and then 16 year old daughter had both a driver and a guide for the 6-7 hour excursion. Celsus allowed us to customize the excursion and Yeshim, our guide, customized it on the fly when we expressed interest in visiting a mosque and taking her and the driver to a local restaurant for lunch. It was cheaper than the ship excursion, exactly what we wanted to see and since it was just us, we moved at our own pace. Both the driver and Yeshim spoke perfect English and made Turkey a highlight of the cruise. I would use Celsus again without reservation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 5 months later...

we reserved a tour for 8 with celsus travel from izmir to ephesus two years ago. the guide was excellent. and most important to us, no deep accent which we couldn't understand. we also saw the terrace houses too. it was about $45 a person. it was custom designed by us. to ephesus and back to izmir, terrace houses and no stops for lunch or shopping. we stuck to that, as we didn't want to go to silk, carpet or alabaster shops. 5 hours. it is about an hour each way from izmir.

We used Ekol Travel and it was quite reasonable...I think $59.00 U.S. per person and we paid in cash at the end of the tour. We went to a place and had a fantastic Turkish lunch...saw all of the usual before lunch and then of course, had to sit through a rug demonstration and they do try and push you to buy. :rolleyes: :( It was a private tour arranged by someone on our roll call and there were either 10 or 12 of us...can't remember for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Very good experience with Ekol ......we had 4 people on our tour and we told him right off that we do not want to go to the rug factory....that was it.....no more discussion and a fantastic tour....incluing the terrace houses.

eclue;)

• 2 weeks later...

We used Ephesus Shuttle a few years ago, which was great but, as with all of these companies, no doubt, make sure you tell them you do not want to go to a carpet factory (or, craft workshop, as they like to call them!) if you have no intention to buy.

• 7 months later...

Just returned from Turkey in August 2014. Our extended family group of 15 took a full day tour with Ephesus Deluxe to see Miletus, Didyma, The Ancient City of Ephesus & The Terrace Houses plus the Temple of Artemis. Had no idea there was a "government run" carpet factory scheduled too. We had a lovely time- until the carpet factory. Lunch was delicious but we were Pounced on when we entered the walls of the carpet factory. We were segregated from each other as couples and assured that we had time, although we did NOT. We missed much of Ephesus- the Basilica of St John, the large theater, the Stadium and didn't have time to enter the Celsius Library Because we were being strong armed into buying carpets at $1000 each. We had no idea and NEVER Intended on buying a carpet that day, let alone such an expensive carpet. The Carpet Salesmen were running after us as we approached the van we came in- as we tried to leave. I just kept saying- "We Don't have TIME for this." And We Didn't have time. So sad we missed part of Ephesus and had to spend valuable time fighting off the carpet salemen. The Carpet Salemen were worse than used car salesmen. So BE WARE!!!