Port in Rome - need suggestions

air21723

We will be in Rome 1 day this coming October and only want to visit the Trevi Fountain, what is the best way to get there? We do not want to take any of the excursions the ship is offering as we prefer to be on our own, not first time in Rome. Suggestions? Thank you!

Basically you can take the train from civitevechia to Rome and then the metro to the station nearest to Trevi. This would be a long trip just to see the fountain. Since you would be heading to Rome you might want to consider additional sites. I can understand if you want to skip the big tourist attractions, Vatican and the colosseum, if you have been before. However there are lots of other museums, walking tours, even other fountains, etc. Realize it will take you at least 90 minutes to 2 hours each way from the port and having dedicated that much time to travel you might want to do more than just see the one fountain.

The government recently completed the cleaning and repairs to the Trevi Fountain....and it is now in its full glory. For fountain lovers we would also recommend walking over to the Piazza Navona (our favorite spot in Rome) to look at the gorgeous fountains in that ancient piazza.

Hank

Last time we went to Rome on HAL cruise, there were 6 of us. W e purchased the bu;s only for geraNSPOERETRRFation to Rome and spent the full day on our own doing what we wanted. W e retur4ned to tehe dre4op off placew for the r ride bac k to Ci vi had been tyo Rome for manay weeks prevvious to that cruise. Itg worked out well for us.

Edited by sail7seas

IIRC the Metro stop nearest the fountain is labeled Barberini then a few blocks walk to the fountain. Heading that same way and a just little farther the Pantheon is well worth a stop. Rome is very walkable and not that spread out. From the Pantheon it would be an easy walk to Termini station on Via Del Corso to connect to return train to Civitevechia. Lots to see along the way including some Roman ruins.

I know what you are doing - you need to toss your coins in to ensure your return to Rome!

Take the train see the fountain and enjoy a nice casual day in Rome - stop and have a leisurely lunch somewhere and just watch Rome walk by!

When there, go for lunch at Piccolo Arancio on Via Vicolo Scanderberg which is around the corner from the fountain and it's a 2 minute walk. You can check it out on line, too.

Edited by marco

Lots of good suggestions - but I am still thinking about going all the way to Rome for just the Trevi Fountain ?????

Brings to mind our 2014 visit before Prinsendam T/A - the fountain was bone dry and covered with scaffolding for repairs: a rather loud woman there was telling her husband to blast their travel agent about it -- "... AFTER WE CAME ALL THIS WAY!".

It sounds like you do what I like to do. I will pick out one thing that I MUST see/do. Then the rest of my time is for wandering, people watching, tasting the local flavor, and even just running into something interesting and exploring. I do not like to have all my time pre-programmed.

Taking the train into Rome and to the Termini station is the good first step. From there, you can easily walk down to the Trevi Fountain. You could take the Metro too. You could take the Metro to the Spagna stop, walk through the fun Condotti area with all it's designer boutiques down to Trevi - an easy, maybe 10 minute, walk. Or, take the Metro to the Barberini stop. It's not as nice a walk to Trevi from there, it's just a big busy avenue (via del Tritone) and pretty boring if you are a tourist. It takes about the same amount of time to get from either station to Trevi if you just walk without stopping. I stayed up on Via Veneto and took both directions all the time to get down to Centro Storico. Personally, I liked the way through Condotti better than Via Tritone. Look at Google Maps to find the directions.

It sounds like you do what I like to do. I will pick out one thing that I MUST see/do. Then the rest of my time is for wandering, people watching, tasting the local flavor, and even just running into something interesting and exploring. I do not like to have all my time pre-programmed.

Taking the train into Rome and to the Termini station is the good first step. From there, you can easily walk down to the Trevi Fountain. You could take the Metro too. You could take the Metro to the Spagna stop, walk through the fun Condotti area with all it's designer boutiques down to Trevi - an easy, maybe 10 minute, walk. Or, take the Metro to the Barberini stop. It's not as nice a walk to Trevi from there, it's just a big busy avenue (via del Tritone) and pretty boring if you are a tourist. It takes about the same amount of time to get from either station to Trevi if you just walk without stopping. I stayed up on Via Veneto and took both directions all the time to get down to Centro Storico. Personally, I liked the way through Condotti better than Via Tritone. Look at Google Maps to find the directions.

Better to stay on Metro to Spagna - then easy walk down the Spanish Steps to Condotti, then turn left to Trevi - you will want a good detailed street map, because there are lots of potential wrong turns.

Better to stay on Metro to Spagna - then easy walk down the Spanish Steps to Condotti, then turn left to Trevi - you will want a good detailed street map, because there are lots of potential wrong turns.

I think the Spagna station actually has THREE entrances: I think the one closest to the Steps has two entrances - one is a walk across the plaza about a block to the left underneath the Steps. So, you do not walk down the Steps, but cross the Piazza Spagna to Condotti. The other entrance for the Spanish Steps area is indeed above the steps on Monti.

The third entrance/exit is actually found up on Via Veneto. It is a very interesting about 1/2 mile walk through the Metro tunnels and up some escalators. Do not take this direction - do not follow signs to "Via Veneto" "Villa Borghese". I did it ONCE to get back to my hotel; after that, I made sure to just walk on Via Ludovosi to Crispi to Sistina - a few minute walk to the top of the Steps...Plus it had the bonus of passing by some of the classic high-end Rome hotels (the Hassler, the Eden).