Diapers on board ship

cheerldrmom

Definitely bring your own. The kind/size you want may or may not be available on the ship, and if they do have them they will be very expensive. A couple of lines allow you to pre order and have them waiting in your room (RCCL and NCL I believe) but they cost somewhere around 3 times as much as buying them at a regular store.

Edit: is time we are driving to port so we will pack them from home. Last time we flew in the day before and stopped at a store near our hotel to buy diapers and a few other things for our then 10 month old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by gymbomb

The ship doesn't sell diapers, or ANY pediatric stuff..bring what you need! Start counting a few weeks out and see how many you will need. Add a few extra, for emergencies! That goes for medications, too! Bring anything you MIGHT need!

Edited by cb at sea

I managed to pack 35 size-5 diapers for a recent cruise and just used them to pad all the suitcases. Barely noticed they were in my luggage. RCI only has up to size 4 and charges $24 for a small bag.

Bring your own...and also bring those little disposable bags (or doggy poop bags sometimes cheaper) to put the used ones in ;)

Yes! We take a roll of the small, bathroom sized trash bags from the dollar store to use for this :) For wet ones we leave the bag open and put several in. For dirty ones we tie it up.

Even if you hear that diapers are sold on the ship, bring your own (that goes for anything you will need). Ship stores often run out of items - even the most necessary and basic. We also had a family on a Hawaiian cruise once who planned to buy diapers at the next port - and the ship couldn't dock because of weather. Bring more than you expect to need.

All the best,

Mia

Bring your own everything for kids! You never know when the store might be out, or not have your size. I always count home many for the day, add one for emergency and than add 1 extra day. It has on very rare occasions happened that a ship gets caught in a storm and stays out 1 extra day. Or if your flying there is a delay, better to have an extra days worth of diapers than stress over it. Besides on the way home your bags will have lots of extra room if you are a souvenir person.

If your kid is prone to leaking diapers at night (ours does from time to time) take a couple mattress pads also.

I'd even pack kiddie medicine (like painkiller, or allergy meds) you can't guarantee you'll be able to get anything other adult strength on board. Plus the last thing you want to be doing is wandering around a pharmacy in another country trying to buy medicine appropriate for your kid!! Better safe than sorry!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We brought everything - nappies, wipes, medicine, special milk, specific snacks....etc. We weren't flying to the port so it was fine.

I packed it all in a collapsible bag that folded up and fitted in another case on the way home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my goodness! So glad I read through this thread. Fantastic ideas! I had planned to bring my own essentials, but the little baggies for soiled diapers and the sleeping pads for the mattress--BRILLIANT!:D

• 2 months later...

Sorry to restart an old thread but does anyone have experience checking a box of diapers with their checked luggage? And I mean actually checking a diaper box and not a suitcase with diapers. DW read on another forum that people have successfully brought sealed boxes of diapers and stuck a luggage tag on each side and dropped them off with the porters along with their checked luggage. I'd be afraid of the box either getting crushed or misplaced in the terminal and not making it onto the ship and into our cabin. Or worse yet another guest swiping the box since luggage is usually left outside the cabins when dropped off on embarkation day.

Edited by djcass4199

for that time, I would just open the diaper package and stuff those or pullups in every little space in the suitcases and in my carry on. If you think you'll have the ability to carry one more thing, maybe take some rope and good strong packing tape and make a handle and carry it on (just needs to fit in the security scanner). If you're taking a stroller, have one of the ones with the storage area (and definitely a canopy for the sun) as you can put lots of baby stuff in it.

If flying in, make sure to pad in a day ahead and do a little shopping trip for extra diapers, etc.

Sorry to restart an old thread but does anyone have experience checking a box of diapers with their checked luggage? And I mean actually checking a diaper box and not a suitcase with diapers. DW read on another forum that people have successfully brought sealed boxes of diapers and stuck a luggage tag on each side and dropped them off with the porters along with their checked luggage. I'd be afraid of the box either getting crushed or misplaced in the terminal and not making it onto the ship and into our cabin. Or worse yet another guest swiping the box since luggage is usually left outside the cabins when dropped off on embarkation day.

Done this many times without an issue. I think a passenger who would steal would go for anything other than the diaper box. I also have stuck luggage tags on bouncy chairs, folded strollers, etc. without a problem.

Best,

Mia

Interesting, I want to cruise with my daughter and her family with two little ones. We would have to fly to the port (any port). Would be needing a play yard, high chair, bouncy chair, plastic tub for baths, along with food, clothing, toys, bedding...Diapers good one about just buying bulk and tagging it for delivery to cabin. Also tagging other needs to be directly taken on ship too. Oh, forgot two strollers too!

Edited by myfuzzy

Interesting, I want to cruise with my daughter and her family with two little ones. We would have to fly to the port (any port). Would be needing a play yard, high chair, bouncy chair, plastic tub for baths, along with food, clothing, toys, bedding...Diapers good one about just buying bulk and tagging it for delivery to cabin. Also tagging other needs to be directly taken on ship too. Oh, forgot two strollers too!

The ship provides a crib or pack n' play.

They have high chairs.

I just used the stroller instead of a bouncy chair when we flew to the port.

Instead of a plastic tub, there are blow up tubs that pack easy and fit perfectly in the shower (and double as a splash pool).

Food and bedding are already on the ship (unless you mean formula, which is easy to bring in powder form).

I never brought many toys beyond blow up balls and sand toys. There is plenty to keep them amused.

It doesn't have to be overwhelming.

Best,

Mia

The ship provides a crib or pack n' play.

They have high chairs.

I just used the stroller instead of a bouncy chair when we flew to the port.

Instead of a plastic tub' date=' there are blow up tubs that pack easy and fit perfectly in the shower (and double as a splash pool).

Food and bedding are already on the ship (unless you mean formula, which is easy to bring in powder form).

I never brought many toys beyond blow up balls and sand toys. There is plenty to keep them amused.

It doesn't have to be overwhelming.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Well, we shall see, you don't know my daughter, kids have to have their OWN stuff. Goodness sake, they use things that other peoples children have used.

Well, we shall see, you don't know my daughter, kids have to have their OWN stuff. Goodness sake, they use things that other peoples children have used.

:) Flexibility is the key to successful travel - but I'm sure it will all work out.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia