New to Seabourn

katiebeth

Greetings,

My husband and I are in our mid-50's and considering our first cruise on Seabourn Quest. We are experienced cruisers and have sailed extensively in Europe, Alaska, and the Caribbean with Celebrity, Azamara, and Oceania. We have been eager to sail on one of the more upscale/luxury cruise lines and Seabourn's Sept. 1st Canadian Maritimes and New England cruise seems to fit the bill for us. We also looked at Crystal cruises and their Canada/New England sailings, but the dates do not work for us.

We are currently holding a veranda suite (category V6). The reviews on cruise critic are very favorable regarding the Seabourn experience and especially the Quest. The cruise fares are significantly higher (still experiencing a little sticker shock) than those we have paid on Azamara and Oceania and while Seabourn includes gratuities and beverages, we are hoping the overall experience will be superior to that of the other lines we have sailed. (although we have been very pleased with Celebrity, Azamara, and Oceania.)

The itinerary looks very interesting and the shore excursions offered by Seabourn seem very appealing and somewhat off the beaten track! I am hoping the excursions are in keeping with the luxury brand of Seabourn. I will say our one disappointment with Oceania was their shore excursions ....definitely not up to par with the level one would expect on a more upscale cruise line .....of course, we were sailing the Caribbean so that may have had something to do with the poor choices/experiences.

Any tips from seasoned Seabourn cruisers for a "newbie" would be greatly appreciated. Also, on a 10 night cruise ....how many formal nights should we expect?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Kind Regards,

Nancy

Nancy,

I hope you enjoy your first Seabourn cruise. We have exclusively sailed Seabourn for the last 14 years so I am not in a position to tell you how it might compare with the others lines on which you have happily cruised. We rarely do ship tours but likely Seabourn's tours are no better or no worse that that on many other lines as most use the same tour operators. What we love about Seabourn is the small size of the ships (still missing the departure of the three little ones), the ease of the inclusive policy, the open dining policy and the layout of the suites.But the biggest reason we keep coming back to Seabourn is the warm, personal service. It is truly exceptional.

As to your question regarding formal nights, which are now sadly "formal optional", you will have one on a 10 day cruise.If you have any other specific question please feel free to ask.And our favorites suites on the big Seabourn ships are V-6 deck 8. The location is very convenient for walking out to the pool deck with the pool, grill and bar. Where is your suite located?

Hi Chairsin,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Glad to hear you enjoy Seabourn and have been sailing the line for 14 years.

Our stateroom is 739 ....we are booking late and it was the most desirable available at this time in terms of being mid-ship. I will definitely keep the V6 categories on Deck 8 in mind for future sailings. We enjoy lounging by the pool so the location would be very convenient.

We are definitely looking forward to the sailing for a number of reasons ....mostly because this will be our first time on Seabourn and we have not visited any of the ports/cities on the itinerary. In addition, we are hoping the weather will still be pleasant at this time and it will be a wonderful break from the hot and humid summers we experience here in Florida. Although, it will still be very early in the season, we are hoping to see some color change in the trees ...even if it is subtle!

My dear mother passed at the end of April (we were blessed to cruise together frequently) and it has been a difficult few months .....so it is SO nice to have such a wonderful trip to look forward to in just a few weeks!

Happy Sailings,

Nancy

I love everything about Seabourn, but have to say the excursions are not the line's strong point. That said, I haven't cruised with Seabourn in North America, and that could make a difference to the quality of tours on offer.

We visited Québec a few years ago, at the exact time of year you're going, and the weather was very pleasant. Daytime temperatures were generally in mid to high 70s, a little hotter than that during our time in Montréal. I'm not sure if that's the norm though.

As we ventured further north, there was a little colour as the leaves began to turn.

I haven't looked at your itinerary but am assuming you're doing the St Lawrence, including Saguenay. It's beautiful, with a chance to go whale watching if that's your thing.

Hello Nancy---You are in for a treat! I, too, am a long-time Seabourn sailor so my views may be a bit biased.

I sailed on Quest's Maritimes cruise (Montreal-Boston) last year starting Sept. 21. The foliage had just stared to turn in Canada and was much more colorful as we sailed South. Locals told us it was unusually late for leaf-turning, so you may have a bit more luck. Your best chance is probably in Acadia National Park.

We had some interesting excursions--don't miss seeing Montmorency Falls; the cultural show in Saquenay; a "trot about town" There arein Charlottesvlle, PEI; any tour in Halifax that includes a visit to the Titanic cemetery (if that appeals to you); and, lastly, Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor (with a lobster lunch).

Suite 739 is in a great location, just steps from Seabourn Square, which serves cappuccinos and other coffees starting at 6ish in the morning. Send your husband there for coffee and a croissant or two to enjoy pre-breakfast on your verandah!

You will have a wonderful cruise with one of Seabourn's most popular captains Geir-Arne Thue-Nilsen; he will make sure you are never bored.

Happy sailing; if you need a $400.00 first-timer on-board credit, post your e-mail on the "sticky" at the top of the Seabourn page and I will send you the information.

Winnie

We're also seasoned cruisers and we took our first Seabourn cruise to Canada/NE last year. Without a doubt, it was far and away our best cruise experience. Everything on Seabourn was top drawer. The ship (Quest) was in meticulous condition and suites were appointed with superior furnishings, amenities, bedding and linens. Food was outstanding in all venues, whether a quick bite at the Patio Grill or a leisurely tasting dinner in R2. And then there's Seabourn Square. No cruise line we've sailed has any space as wonderful. Staff and crew of the Quest were exceptional in their attention to detail and service orientation. There really was an attitude of "yes" on board. Our Captain was a great guy, very visible throughout the ship and obviously loved by the crew. Fellow passengers were friendly and easy going, creating a welcoming atmosphere on-board.

We loved our Canada/NE cruise. All the ports were interesting and you could DIY in several of them. Since we had a sizable OBC, we took a few Seabourn shorex and were pleasantly surprised at how good they were. Our voyage started in Boston on Oct 1 and we were right on target for peak leef peeping. I think Sept 1 will be a tad early but who knows! I'm sure you'll enjoy Seabourn regardless.

I too love Seabourn, mainly because it is so understated. The ships aren't "grand" or Posh, or Blinged up, but are generously designed, quietly elegant, with thoughtful spaces and excellent cabin design. The staff are warm, helpful, and friendly, without any stuffiness, or over-fawning cringeworthiness. In general the guests are friendly and happy to share a conversation with anyone on board. They are rarely arrogant or demanding...you wont see too many high maintenance divas on board...nor their male equivalents, whatever they may be. The food is a good standard, without being overly pretentious. We will be sailing on the cruise just before you..Route of the Vikings, and I am looking forward to being thoroughly spoiled.:)

Hi Nancy,

We will be on your cruise from Montreal on the 1st Sept. It is our 2nd cruise and also second Seabourn, after our first 14 days in the Med 2 years ago, we could not fault it so could see no reason to change cruise lines.

Last time we did a several SB excursions and found them very good, the others we either organized private tours or just "winged it". This time, partly because I'm slack and also because I like the look of some of the SB excursions on this cruise, we are doing quite a few SB ones.

I tried to organize a private tour in Bar Harbour but they were all booked, probably because there is another large ship in port 1hr before ours. So we are doing the SB one.

We were on deck 6 last time and loved it. This time we decided on a mid ship A1, mainly just to try it out. I hope we don't miss the balcony too much. Last time we found we didn't use the balcony as much as we thought, probably because it was a port intensive cruise.

We decided on and booked this cruise about 12 months ago after we posted here and got such good feedback from those who had done it before.

Hope you love the ship and service as much as we did last time. We received our info from SB a few days ago, so can't wait to leave now. We head to NYC in two weeks.

Greetings Nancy, I think it is a great idea that you have branched out and are trying a new line. See what you think. Investing in a 10-day cruise is a great idea to see if it is your cup of tea.

We have a lot of experience on AZ and 68 days on Seabourn. I think you will find your stateroom way superior on Seabourn and the service on Seabourn to be exceptional. The enrichment program and entertainment on Seabourn will also be superior to AZ. Unfortunately we found the cuisine on Seabourn to be a bit of a problem, but that may be in the process of being corrected. See what you think...As others have written, the Seabourn excursions are nothing special, pretty much what you would find on other lines. But go and have a terrific time. Here's the big comparison: The Quest and the AZ ships are the same size, but AZ jams another 150 passengers into the same space, so you have lots of more room on Seabourn, lots of wonderful special places to explore and enjoy. Best of all is Seabourn Sq., without an equal on all the lines we have traveled, including Crystal. Have a great time. Think of it as a test drive for your future!

Thank you all who have taken the time to respond to my original post ....all of your comments, suggestions, and descriptions of the Seabourn experience are so encouraging and helping us to really get excited about our upcoming cruise. It is great to hear that so many of you love Seabourn and also the Canada/New England itinerary .....both the cruise line and the itinerary are new to us so we have two new experiences to look forward to ....and in just a matter of weeks!

Happy sailing; if you need a $400.00 first-timer on-board credit, post your e-mail on the "sticky" at the top of the Seabourn page and I will send you the information.

Winnie

And yes Winnie ....we would LOVE information on the $400.00 first timer on board credit .....that would be an added bonus for sure ....thank you! I will post my e-mail at the top of the Seabourn page on the "sticky"!

Happy Sailings to all of you!

Nancy

Nancy,

Thank you for posting as an upcoming first time SB cruiser. We are excited to be doing our first SB cruise February14 RT Singapore after recently cruising primarily on Oceania and Regent. I was so pleased to see all the positive responses about the service, etc. and friendliness of fellow passengers. I appreciated the comments on shore excursions, too,as I am just now starting to look into options.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise. We did Montreal to Southampton last May. Although it was chilly/cold, the scenery was beautiful, the cities and towns wonderful and the people we met very warm and welcoming.

Edited by findacruise
correction

Hi Nancy, I think you'll really like Seabourn.

We've done eight Crystal cruises and three on Seabourn and are happy to report that we've found them both to be excellent and they each have an edge over the other on several key issues which, in our view makes it easier to choose based on itinerary.

A few of the things (that are different from Crystal) that we appreciate on Seabourn:

1. Open dining. We've never minded the fixed dining policy on Crysta (it has good things about it) but we truly enjoy the flexibility to dine whenever, wherever; particularly when you've had a long, tiring day in port and just want to have a good meal al fresco without having had to plan or make reservations.

2. The size of the ship. It really has everything you need in terms of space and public venues (although not as plentiful as on Crystal) and it is really easy and fast to get around. Really loved this, particularly quick early morning runs to Seabourn Square for a latte and pastry reading the newspapers, working on the communal puzzle, etc. Just a nice way to start the day if your other half is still sleeping!

3. The hot tub forward on deck 6. A marvelous hide-away which is never too busy. Perfect way to sail away with a nice cocktail (in good weather) in hand soaking in the hot tub.

4. The cabin (verandah) size and layout. Love, love, love having room to move about, the walk-in closet is perfect to keep everything organized and out of sight, and the bathroom with a full size soaker tub and separate shower. To be honest, the comparable cabins on Crystal are beautiful and they will never be cause for not sailing on Crystal (there are so many public places to be out and about that you hardly want to spend too much time in your cabin), but the Seabourn cabins are just that much better.

5. The service. Vastly improved from the time when Seabourn was growing into the new ships and still had the little triplets. We have found service on Seabourn to be flawless and really like the way officers are out and about and very approachable (service on Crystal is also flawless and very special, particulary the Philipino crew, but the officers not so congenial).

Have a wonderful cruise!

The big difference is the service. Generously provided by first world staff who know and understand why and how things should be done. They look after you as equals rather than slightly nervous underlings desperate to please but failing on occasion. The company also ensures staff have everything at their disposal to look after you.

We are new to Seabourn, by the end of the year we will be on our 4th cruise and it really is like coming home every time we step aboard. We are easy going guests without too many demands and find it easy to carve out an enjoyable day. Nothing in life is perfect but Seabourn comes close.

The unknown are your fellow guests. With all groups there will be a few who may not be your cup of tea but there will be some absolute gems and probably people you wouldn't ordinarily spend time with in your day to day life.

I can assure you of an excellent time. We were wowed as soon as we went into the cabin and opened the bathroom door. So very different to most standard cruise ship bathrooms.

Enjoy and make sure you report back. If there is anything that you need during your cruise just ask at the square or speak with one of the many senior staff members regularly seen around the ship. They really do care.

Henry :)

"Generously provided by first world staff who know and understand why and how things should be done."

Not sure what the implication is here, but we have received extraordinary service from non "first world" staff on many cruises. It has never been a consideration for us. Perhaps it is an important consideration for some.

"Generously provided by first world staff who know and understand why and how things should be done."

Not sure what the implication is here, but we have received extraordinary service from non "first world" staff on many cruises. It has never been a consideration for us. Perhaps it is an important consideration for some.

Many cruise lines employ third world staff who are paid a pittance. Wages are bolstered by a tipping culture which is starting to deteriorate particularly in Europe.

The problem is no matter how well intentioned the staff are they simply don't understand what is required of them and are merely reciting a pre learned script.

Contrast this with Seabourn where staff are themselves looked after in restaurants and so on when not on board so truly appreciate great service.

I have no gripe with those less fortunate than myself. I spend quite a bit of time travelling in parts of the world less developed than Europe and love the experience. But I don't try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. When in Rome....

You only have to think of the many telesales calls you field from third world countries. Within seconds you know it ain't happening...

The fact is Seabourn pay a good wage and attract good people. They don't try to maximise profits by sourcing front line staff from a cheaper labour pool.

Many cruise lines employ third world staff who are paid a pittance. Wages are bolstered by a tipping culture which is starting to deteriorate particularly in Europe.

The problem is no matter how well intentioned the staff are they simply don't understand what is required of them and are merely reciting a pre learned script.

Contrast this with Seabourn where staff are themselves looked after in restaurants and so on when not on board so truly appreciate great service.

I have no gripe with those less fortunate than myself. I spend quite a bit of time travelling in parts of the world less developed than Europe and love the experience. But I don't try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. When in Rome....

You only have to think of the many telesales calls you field from third world countries. Within seconds you know it ain't happening...

The fact is Seabourn pay a good wage and attract good people. They don't try to maximise profits by sourcing front line staff from a cheaper labour pool.

Does the fault not lie with the Cruise Line's inadequate training of staff from the third world, rather than their country of origin?

The public's demand for ever cheaper fares on Cruise Lines , and over capacity in the industry, inevitably leads to price/cost cutting.

Are luxury Cruise Lines immune?

As you say, not Seabourn, and certainly not the Europa, and Europa 2.

I don't think it is practical to train staff from those countries. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting they are stupid or in any way less worthy but to function at the level expected by Seabourn staff would need a fundamental understanding of dining room etiquette and process before they start training. Would it be physically possible to turn out impeccable silver service? Yes, but in reality I can't see there is enough time particularly when dealing with the numbers involved on a ship.

When we travel in Asia food is served and treated in a very different way to Europe. Desert is taken (often on the street) separately to the main meal and dishes of the main meal tend to get served as and when they are ready. The kitchen is king not the restaurant !

Mainstream cruise lines are dumbing down the restaurant and just need a cheap way of getting the food from the kitchen to the table. Make sure the staff look the part, give them a script and that's your lot. Third world employees are cheap, work very long contracts and do as they are told. The cruise industry bean counters like that.

Guests for their part often aren't used to eating in restaurants without pictures in the menu, they don't dress up and their scale of expectation is low. So the whole formula works well for a good portion of the cruising clientele. I think the bean counters have tweaked the work load of restaurant staff a bit too high through greed but add in a bit of benevolence from the guests towards staff a long time away from their families and the corporations get away with it.

Seabourn is very different. Their guests are used to things being done to a high standard and wont be fooled by a fancy uniform. There is a reason why Seabourn pay their staff properly and work some of the shortest contracts in the industry. If they could get away doing it another way they would, but they can't.

Kitchen, cleaning and maintenance departments are different, but good waiting staff require some skills which you simply can't teach.

I appreciate my words will come across as very harsh and unfair. They genuinely aren't meant to and I am only too aware as to the plight of those walking the unseen corridors whilst we enjoy rarified deep pile comfort.

I used to work in McDonald's as a standard hourly paid employee.

Edited by Able Seaman H